Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-11-14, 08:23 AM   #7276
danielrbaer
Senior Member
 
danielrbaer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Down South
Bikes:
Posts: 96
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsberrios1 View Post
Awesome! It was a really fun race......
Likewise. There was a pretty bad crash -- though I was in front of it at the time and only heard it.

For some reason, i'm not listed on the pre-reg results -- finished in the pack but not exactly sure where. Anyways, I don't want to clog this thread up too much -- I might be out for the river shoals race.
danielrbaer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-14, 10:42 AM   #7277
hyperlitenerd
Senior Member
 
hyperlitenerd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Santa Clara, CA
Bikes:
Posts: 89
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Trying to catch the group at cherry pie after missing my start...

(Admin edit: photo deleted, photographer was not credited)

Last edited by CbadRider; 02-18-14 at 10:48 AM. Reason: Photographer must be identified
hyperlitenerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-14, 11:46 AM   #7278
Ygduf 
\_(ツ)_/
 
Ygduf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Redwood City, CA
Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.
Posts: 9,251
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
saddle up, forward a little bit, and bend at the hips.

looks wet, which is the true misery maker.

Did you catch on?
__________________

twitter.com/ygduf
strava.com/athletes/ygduf
Ygduf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-14, 11:49 AM   #7279
billh92109
Senior Member
 
billh92109's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 204
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Me in the green here, Red Trolley 2014 cat5, mid pack finish but I like to use it all up! (pic by Kawika Ohumukini)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (105.6 KB, 63 views)

Last edited by billh92109; 02-11-14 at 11:52 AM.
billh92109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-14, 01:26 PM   #7280
hyperlitenerd
Senior Member
 
hyperlitenerd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Santa Clara, CA
Bikes:
Posts: 89
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ygduf View Post
saddle up, forward a little bit, and bend at the hips.

looks wet, which is the true misery maker.

Did you catch on?
It was very wet! Got within 20 seconds, formed a small group, but never caught the main field. First race of the year, frustrating to do something stupid like miss the start, but if I am going to make a mistake, so be it, get it out of the way.

Saddle up a little more? I'll have to play with that today.
hyperlitenerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-14, 01:36 PM   #7281
hack
Senior Member
 
hack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Folsom, CA
Bikes:
Posts: 2,980
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperlitenerd View Post
It was very wet! Got within 20 seconds, formed a small group, but never caught the main field. First race of the year, frustrating to do something stupid like miss the start, but if I am going to make a mistake, so be it, get it out of the way.

Saddle up a little more? I'll have to play with that today.
Almost did the same on Saturday. I got to the race and realized I forgot my helmet. Luckily, my wife was able to run one down just in time. I was able to throw it on and jump in the back. Also, got lucky that she grabbed an old beater of a helmet so I wasn't too upset when it got thrashed in my crash. Quite nerve racking to still be at your car when your group is lined up getting instructions.
hack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-14, 01:39 PM   #7282
Tyrell
Senior Member
 
Tyrell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Central TX
Bikes:
Posts: 558
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Tour of New Braunfels Cat 4 RR a couple weekends ago. This is the end of my 4-mile solo TT to secure 3rd behind a teammate and another guy who stayed away. You can see the battle for 4th looming behind me.


Photo by Lester Rosebrock
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ToNB finish.jpg (31.1 KB, 79 views)
Tyrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-14, 02:01 PM   #7283
aaronmcd
Senior Member
 
aaronmcd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: SF Bay Area, CA
Bikes: Cervelo S2, Ultegra 6700
Posts: 2,357
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hack View Post
Almost did the same on Saturday. I got to the race and realized I forgot my helmet. Luckily, my wife was able to run one down just in time. I was able to throw it on and jump in the back. Also, got lucky that she grabbed an old beater of a helmet so I wasn't too upset when it got thrashed in my crash. Quite nerve racking to still be at your car when your group is lined up getting instructions.
Actually, in hindsight I think it would have been luckier if she didn't get you the helmet in time.
aaronmcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-14, 02:02 PM   #7284
aaronmcd
Senior Member
 
aaronmcd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: SF Bay Area, CA
Bikes: Cervelo S2, Ultegra 6700
Posts: 2,357
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrell View Post
Tour of New Braunfels Cat 4 RR a couple weekends ago. This is the end of my 4-mile solo TT to secure 3rd behind a teammate and another guy who stayed away. You can see the battle for 4th looming behind me.


Photo by Lester Rosebrock
You'll always be able to spot your team mates with that kit.
aaronmcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-14, 02:28 PM   #7285
hack
Senior Member
 
hack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Folsom, CA
Bikes:
Posts: 2,980
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronmcd View Post
Actually, in hindsight I think it would have been luckier if she didn't get you the helmet in time.

Too true. I think I was parked next to you. I recall a Pearl Izumi kit and a Cervelo S2 on the car next to me while I sat shivering in a daze trying to think if I should drive home or call for a ride.

Been going over the race in my head, should have been further up going into that last turn so I didn't get stuck as bad as I did.
hack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-14, 02:38 PM   #7286
waterrockets 
Making a kilometer blurry
 
waterrockets's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Austin (near TX)
Bikes: rkwaki's porn collection
Posts: 26,130
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronmcd View Post
You'll always be able to spot your team mates with that kit.
It's true. I have to keep an eye on a couple of them around here.

Good race there Tyrell
waterrockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-14, 03:03 PM   #7287
caloso
Packfodding 3
 
caloso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Sacramento, California, USA
Bikes: Ridley Excalibur, Gazelle Champion Mondial, On-One Pompino, Specialized Rock Hopper
Posts: 33,498
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronmcd View Post
You'll always be able to spot your team mates with that kit.
Not that we're locked into any particular color scheme but for as long as I've belonged, my team has been sponsored by JBL, so we have a nice bright orange accent color. But every year the argument is black jerseys or white jerseys. I keep arguing to go the Euskatel route and go solid orange jerseys with black shorts. It would sure make picking out teammates in a pack much easier. I guess I'll renew my argument next fall.
caloso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-14, 03:10 PM   #7288
MajorMantra
Senior Member
 
MajorMantra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Bristol, UK
Bikes:
Posts: 1,136
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
2nd ever CX race, and last of the season. Photos from friend John:



MajorMantra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-14, 03:33 PM   #7289
Creatre
These Guys Eat Oreos
 
Creatre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Atlanta, GA
Bikes: Yes
Posts: 3,422
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielrbaer View Post
I'm in this picture, too! I'm the one on the front to the right of Mr. Catlike helmet. Please PM me if you have any more picture from the race.

Was a fun race (Cat 5 -34). 3-man break which held off until the end. Saw online that one of them had a NP of 332W (~4.3 w/kg) for the 21 miles, so no big surprise they stayed away.
That's pretty legit on that course for Cat5. I only averaged 4.8 w/kg (for 40 minutes) in my 2 man breakaway on that course last year in the Cat3s.
Creatre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-14, 04:26 PM   #7290
rkwaki
soon to be gsteinc...
 
rkwaki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Nayr497's BFF
Bikes:
Posts: 8,558
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creatre View Post
That's pretty legit on that course for Cat5. I only averaged 4.8 w/kg (for 40 minutes) in my 2 man breakaway on that course last year in the Cat3s.
Who won the 1/2 race?
rkwaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-14, 05:02 PM   #7291
danielrbaer
Senior Member
 
danielrbaer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Down South
Bikes:
Posts: 96
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creatre View Post
That's pretty legit on that course for Cat5. I only averaged 4.8 w/kg (for 40 minutes) in my 2 man breakaway on that course last year in the Cat3s.
Yeah, it was pretty fast after the first 5 minutes or so. My NP in the pack was just under 4 w/kg. I think we caught the Cat 5 35+ at the end who started 5 minutes after the -34s.
danielrbaer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-14, 08:26 AM   #7292
lsberrios1 
Senior Member
 
lsberrios1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Atlanta GA
Bikes: '13 Spech Roubaix SL4 Expert
Posts: 2,469
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
From the BMW Performance Crit. Credit to: On the Rivet Photography, a facebook page.

I am the one with all black, white booties and orange glasses.


__________________
Cat 6 going on PRO....
lsberrios1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-14, 03:11 AM   #7293
dralways
Senior Member
 
dralways's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Bikes:
Posts: 500
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsberrios1 View Post
Not sure if suffering or not but they are of me racing . Photos by: my girlfriend.


I am the middle one on the back row. This is the start of the race.


Contesting the sprint!! My first road race . I am the one on the right with black/red helmet and orange glasses


Ok, I'll admit it. This is the pic where I was suffering the most. Warm up 20 minutes before the race. I was Shi*** myself. I hope those nerves come down the more I race because it is hard to take.
You're a true inspiration after seeing that other photo of some walrus you claim to be you @ 215 (I can joke, right? Since that was then.. plus I used to be, ahem, oh, a tad heavier myself so I can talk). I'm wondering what your ride stats looked like (understand if you don't want to post your first races online).. I'm just wondering if I can hang. At least tell us, did you get dropped at anytime or did you keep up with the group the entire time?

Either way, good job man!
dralways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-14, 07:01 AM   #7294
lsberrios1 
Senior Member
 
lsberrios1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Atlanta GA
Bikes: '13 Spech Roubaix SL4 Expert
Posts: 2,469
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dralways View Post
You're a true inspiration after seeing that other photo of some walrus you claim to be you @ 215 (I can joke, right? Since that was then.. plus I used to be, ahem, oh, a tad heavier myself so I can talk). I'm wondering what your ride stats looked like (understand if you don't want to post your first races online).. I'm just wondering if I can hang. At least tell us, did you get dropped at anytime or did you keep up with the group the entire time?

Either way, good job man!
Thanks man, I'm fine putting up some info. I got dropped the first day @ the crit. I was top 5-7 until lap 10 of 12. I made the mistake and decided to not follow an attack thinking I was going to get them later. Too late, they were gone. I can't blame it all on that. I was on the RED very badly too. Average speed was 24.8mph, Ave watts 251, Duration 34 minutes. A very flat ride with only 200 ft of climb for almost 14 miles.

Road race, This one was much better. Hung out with the main pack and strategized to minimize energy consumption. Paid off at the sprint where I took a few places. Ended up 6/14 (+3 that crashed). Time: 00:57:36, Distance: 21.8mi, Ave power: 250watts, Ave speed 22.5mph. A little bit more climb on this one with almost 50ft per mile.

Hope this helps. It is very tough, Cat 5 riders are strong riders even if it is the lowest cat. You should definitely try it, just be careful of crashes. They are very easy to get into.
__________________
Cat 6 going on PRO....
lsberrios1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-14, 07:37 AM   #7295
bbbean 
Senior Member
 
bbbean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Missouri
Bikes: Giant Propel, Cannondale SuperX, Univega Alpina Ultima
Posts: 1,373
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My first race - the Mississippi River Bridge Time Trial 2/8/14. 18 degrees, gusty winds, road wet with patches of salt and sand. Big fun! Wasn't as fast as I hoped, but spent 94% of the race in zone 4, so at least I think I paced myself about right.

Pic courtesy of Michael Dawson:https://picasaweb.google.com/1183553...eat=directlink
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TimeTrialPic.jpg (56.4 KB, 74 views)
__________________
www.beancotton.com
Formerly fastest rider in the grupetto, currently slowest guy in the peloton

bbbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-14, 10:57 AM   #7296
ovoleg
Powered by Borscht
 
ovoleg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: SoCal
Bikes: Russian Vodka
Posts: 8,344
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsberrios1 View Post
From the BMW Performance Crit. Credit to: On the Rivet Photography, a facebook page.

I am the one with all black, white booties and orange glasses.



Niiice!~

Man I wish the fields here were that small!
ovoleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-14, 10:59 AM   #7297
ovoleg
Powered by Borscht
 
ovoleg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: SoCal
Bikes: Russian Vodka
Posts: 8,344
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbean View Post
My first race - the Mississippi River Bridge Time Trial 2/8/14. 18 degrees, gusty winds, road wet with patches of salt and sand. Big fun! Wasn't as fast as I hoped, but spent 94% of the race in zone 4, so at least I think I paced myself about right.

Pic courtesy of Michael Dawson:https://picasaweb.google.com/1183553...eat=directlink
your garmin is vertical!
ovoleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-14, 11:01 AM   #7298
lsberrios1 
Senior Member
 
lsberrios1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Atlanta GA
Bikes: '13 Spech Roubaix SL4 Expert
Posts: 2,469
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovoleg View Post
Niiice!~

Man I wish the fields here were that small!
Then you'd have less chance of placing I kinda wish they were bigger really. I'm sure this sundee will be a different thing.
__________________
Cat 6 going on PRO....
lsberrios1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-14, 11:11 AM   #7299
ovoleg
Powered by Borscht
 
ovoleg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: SoCal
Bikes: Russian Vodka
Posts: 8,344
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsberrios1 View Post
Then you'd have less chance of placing I kinda wish they were bigger really. I'm sure this sundee will be a different thing.
dude you dont even have to sprint and you'll get a top 10!
ovoleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-14, 11:12 AM   #7300
bbbean 
Senior Member
 
bbbean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Missouri
Bikes: Giant Propel, Cannondale SuperX, Univega Alpina Ultima
Posts: 1,373
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovoleg View Post
your garmin is vertical!
That's just the mount bending from my awe-inspiring speed!

LOL - it's easiest to read with a slight angle.
__________________
www.beancotton.com
Formerly fastest rider in the grupetto, currently slowest guy in the peloton

bbbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:17 PM.