Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 317 of 321 FirstFirst ... 217267307315316317318319 ... LastLast
Results 7,901 to 7,925 of 8017
  1. #7901
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Ygduf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Redwood City, CA
    My Bikes
    road bikes
    Posts
    5,891
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)


    start of the bell lap. intent to go and either stay away or string the chase out so my teammates don't have to do any work until it's time to sprint. (also, get my name on the loudspeaker at least once)

    twitter.com/ygduf
    strava.com/athletes/ygduf

  2. #7902
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Tariffville, CT
    My Bikes
    Tsunami Bikes
    Posts
    12,411
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On the hoods. I don't know the last picture I have of me on the hoods before the ones from Sunday. It also illustrates the pulling over the top that I do. I'm doing a little out of saddle effort to stay on the back over the tiny hill at Walnut Hill Park, New Britain CT. I was at the limit in this race, the Cat 3s, and in fact I couldn't move up effectively in the last lap nor could I do a full sprint at the finish.


    I like the follow shot because it illustrates the whole "smart racing" thing. There's a ferocious wind hitting us from the front left on the next straight. This means sheltering on the right. Myself (3rd wheel of the tight trio), Pat G (2nd wheel, multi time Nat Champ, former Olympian), we're both sheltering hard. We happen to be near the back of the field, and if you look at the shots before these there aren't that many riders this conscious of setting up the shelter on the next straight. Like what is the rider with the white helmet thinking? Or the one in orange. They're both hitting a LOT of wind for no valid reason. The guy in front of both of us is another multi time Nat Champ, former Olympian. He seems to revel in riding just off the wheels, he'll also roll along in the 53-54-55x11 for much of the race, etc.


    Hanging on for dear life. At the very back.


    All pictures: My camera/card, shot by David Wells (teammate).
    "...during the Lance years, being fit became the No. 1 thing. Totally the only thing. It’s a big part of what we do, but fitness is not the only thing. There’s skills, there’s tactics … there’s all kinds of stuff..." Tim Johnson

  3. #7903
    Senior Member shovelhd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Western MA
    My Bikes
    Yes
    Posts
    11,880
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Now that's a Cat1 suffer face.

    Checking the results, I would have had a field day at that race. Oh well.

  4. #7904
    Senior Member hack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Folsom, CA
    Posts
    1,179
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Taking a pull and making an odd face. Pic by Alex Chiu.

    Cat 2 upgrade status: never

  5. #7905
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Ygduf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Redwood City, CA
    My Bikes
    road bikes
    Posts
    5,891
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^^ nice.

    couple from the first trip up today for me. via Craig Huffman




    15% hill at the top. should have grabbed shoe covers.

    twitter.com/ygduf
    strava.com/athletes/ygduf

  6. #7906
    Senior Member zitter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    La Jolla/Pasadena
    My Bikes
    Caad10, Felt TK2
    Posts
    775
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    crash @33mph beginning the field sprint in the p12. didn't break anything, but have some nasty road rash up on my left side (might've slightly separated my shoulder, but we'll see). helmet was completely destroyed, but no signs of concussion luckily
    Last edited by zitter; 07-21-14 at 02:04 AM.
    0/35

  7. #7907
    powered by Racer Ex gsteinb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    teh Jersey
    Posts
    16,394
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Man in black went before turns 7 & 8. He hung on to win by a bike length or less. I needed a few more meters.


  8. #7908
    Senior Member furiousferret's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Redlands, CA
    Posts
    2,651
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ouch @zitter, I'm glad you're okay. Looks painful.

  9. #7909
    Arrogant Roadie Punk save10's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    California
    Posts
    2,096
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zitter View Post
    crash @33mph beginning the field sprint in the p12. didn't break anything, but have some nasty road rash up on my left side (might've slightly separated my shoulder, but we'll see). helmet was completely destroyed, but no signs of concussion luckily
    hope the shoulder is okay.
    FYI - that is a rad photo

  10. #7910
    Senior Member furiousferret's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Redlands, CA
    Posts
    2,651
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gsteinb View Post
    Man in black went before turns 7 & 8. He hung on to win by a bike length or less. I needed a few more meters.

    Nice try, you got some big dudes in that pack. It looks like you lost to a former German National Champ, or some random guy. I'd go with the former.

  11. #7911
    powered by Racer Ex gsteinb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    teh Jersey
    Posts
    16,394
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    random guy who races for Brian Walton's team.

  12. #7912
    Senior Member abhirama's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    India.
    My Bikes
    Ridley Fenix
    Posts
    154
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ygduf View Post
    ^^ nice.

    couple from the first trip up today for me. via Craig Huffman




    15% hill at the top. should have grabbed shoe covers.
    Are these from the hill climb tt you posted about on the other thread? If so, curious about the wheel choice.

  13. #7913
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Ygduf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Redwood City, CA
    My Bikes
    road bikes
    Posts
    5,891
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It was 8.5 miles, first 5 were relatively flat, final 3 mi included stair-step climbing for like ~1000ft.

    I did it twice. Once with the 90mm front and rear and the second time with 50mm (much lighter) wheels. 50mm was probably the better bet, but the wind was such on the 2nd run I was 45s slower with 99% the power.


    twitter.com/ygduf
    strava.com/athletes/ygduf

  14. #7914
    Senior Member Tyrell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Central TX
    Posts
    547
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Driveway 3/4 race this past Thursday. Initiated a late 2-man break that lasted for a couple prime laps until I fizzled out with 1 to go.

    p753926952-3.jpg

  15. #7915
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Basye, VA
    My Bikes
    Trek Domane 5 series, Dura Ace 9070, November Rail 52's
    Posts
    1,319
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nothing like the suffering some of you exhibit on these pages, but a pic taken at this weekend's time trial in Shenandoah. I did the Eddie Merckx class but I later found out that there were some from a variety of categories in there not just 5's like myself. Photo by Shaun Galang


  16. #7916
    Senior Member shovelhd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Western MA
    My Bikes
    Yes
    Posts
    11,880
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You're giving up an awful lot with that bike fit.

  17. #7917
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Basye, VA
    My Bikes
    Trek Domane 5 series, Dura Ace 9070, November Rail 52's
    Posts
    1,319
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I think it's time for me to get re-fit. When I last had it done I was riding for pure comfort, not racing and I was 30lbs heavier. Still a few pounds to go but I'm a little more flexible and could probably handle losing a spacer and maybe going a little longer in the stem. Funny how things change, I was just thinking the other day how comfortable my feet were after shimming and cleat adjustments a little over a year ago and now my right foot is starting to bother me with hot spots, must be body changes.

    I also have to send my frame back for a repair, maybe I can convince Trek to replace it with something a little more aggressive!

  18. #7918
    Making a kilometer blurry waterrockets's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Austin (near TX)
    My Bikes
    rkwaki's porn collection
    Posts
    26,080
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think a fit, with a race focus, would be a huge help. Maybe 20W at 25mph?

    Cool shot though!

  19. #7919
    fuggitivo solitario echappist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Arlington, VA
    Posts
    7,948
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    same race as robbyville; had craptastic legs, craptastic bike handling, and even more craptastic first 10-12 minutes. by results, i got blown away even by the 2nd and 3rd place finishers, but had a more respectable 2nd half of the race than i did first half. This was apparently posted on the Shenandoah Newz, and i don't know why they choose me except for the fact that i had a Tron skinsuit.

    Aero experts are probably cringing at the fact that my head isn't further tilted down and that my skin suit is rather wrinkly


  20. #7920
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Basye, VA
    My Bikes
    Trek Domane 5 series, Dura Ace 9070, November Rail 52's
    Posts
    1,319
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by waterrockets View Post
    I think a fit, with a race focus, would be a huge help. Maybe 20W at 25mph?

    Cool shot though!
    Wow, I wouldn't have thought it would make that much of a difference. Curious though if I were to do that how I would feel on longer rides? I start my training for the Alpine Loop Fondo this week, it's 107 miles with over 12,000 ft of climbing and over 10 miles on gravel (all uphill)...

    Quote Originally Posted by echappist View Post
    same race as robbyville; had craptastic legs, craptastic bike handling, and even more craptastic first 10-12 minutes. by results, i got blown away even by the 2nd and 3rd place finishers, but had a more respectable 2nd half of the race than i did first half. This was apparently posted on the Shenandoah Newz, and i don't know why they choose me except for the fact that i had a Tron skinsuit.

    Aero experts are probably cringing at the fact that my head isn't further tilted down and that my skin suit is rather wrinkly

    It is a good shot and I like the Tron skinsuit.

    What was your final time?

  21. #7921
    Senior Member shovelhd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Western MA
    My Bikes
    Yes
    Posts
    11,880
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by robbyville View Post
    Yeah, I think it's time for me to get re-fit. When I last had it done I was riding for pure comfort, not racing and I was 30lbs heavier. Still a few pounds to go but I'm a little more flexible and could probably handle losing a spacer and maybe going a little longer in the stem. Funny how things change, I was just thinking the other day how comfortable my feet were after shimming and cleat adjustments a little over a year ago and now my right foot is starting to bother me with hot spots, must be body changes.

    I also have to send my frame back for a repair, maybe I can convince Trek to replace it with something a little more aggressive!
    I figured that was your situation. Kudos to you for losing the weight. Not everyone can handle the same amount of rotation so take it slow with the adjustments. Do them methodically one step at a time. You are on the right track. The other thing I would suggest is to drop the shifters a bit.

    From your picture to a perfect fit could be 20w easy, but it could be less depending on your adaptation to the new position. It took me a year of practice to make power in the IAB for example, and I have a lot of racing miles in my legs.
    Last edited by shovelhd; 07-28-14 at 07:26 AM.

  22. #7922
    fuggitivo solitario echappist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Arlington, VA
    Posts
    7,948
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by robbyville View Post
    Wow, I wouldn't have thought it would make that much of a difference. Curious though if I were to do that how I would feel on longer rides? I start my training for the Alpine Loop Fondo this week, it's 107 miles with over 12,000 ft of climbing and over 10 miles on gravel (all uphill)...



    It is a good shot and I like the Tron skinsuit.

    What was your final time?
    slightly less than 54. bunch of cat-4's would have beaten me. i doubt i'd have been slower in the first half if i were on my road bike...

    btw, going 20 mph on that course when you are coming off of an lay-off is pretty good. you must have set a few power records along the way

  23. #7923
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    6,405
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    you did awesome chappy. you finished in front of a guy that regularly rolls sub 54s at church creek.

  24. #7924
    fuggitivo solitario echappist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Arlington, VA
    Posts
    7,948
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MDcatV View Post
    you did awesome chappy. you finished in front of a guy that regularly rolls sub 54s at church creek.
    thanks Matt, but i think your teammate was having a bad day

    regardless, a LOT to learn. for example, show up 2 hours before start time; pre ride the course if it's tricky, etc. also my bike handling is atrocious, and my coach insist that it's more Rasmussen like than Andy Schlock like (that hurts when i'm normally railing corners in crits...)
    Last edited by echappist; 07-28-14 at 08:18 AM.

  25. #7925
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Basye, VA
    My Bikes
    Trek Domane 5 series, Dura Ace 9070, November Rail 52's
    Posts
    1,319
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by echappist View Post
    slightly less than 54. bunch of cat-4's would have beaten me. i doubt i'd have been slower in the first half if i were on my road bike...

    btw, going 20 mph on that course when you are coming off of an lay-off is pretty good. you must have set a few power records along the way
    Thanks for the compliment. I'm definitely designed for longer rides, I felt like I went as hard as I could but when I finished I felt fantastic, not like puking at all...

    Wish I could have seen my power, as it stands now my meter decided to punk out (have a ticket in with Stages), so my high power is 100w

    I'll definitely take the fit changes one step at a time, starting with lowering the shifters a bit and one of the smaller spacers.

    thanks to all

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •