Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-01-07, 02:47 PM   #1
joshalope
Shut up and pedal!
Thread Starter
 
joshalope's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Queens, NY
Bikes: Custom Steel made by Alliance, Cannondale Capo, Kona Unit, Bridgestone RB, Ridley Triton
Posts: 279
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Race Report, NYC Spring Series - Prospect Park

I wrote this report up for my blog, it's geared more towards those who aren't as familiar with bikes and racing as us BF-ers, but you'll get the point.

http://roadscholar.wordpress.com/200...s-race-report/
joshalope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-07, 02:59 PM   #2
rich007
Senior Member
 
rich007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: NJ/NYC
Bikes: 2008 Salsa Fargo
Posts: 420
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Keep these updates up. They're really good. I'm subscribing to your blog, too

BTW, I'm a fellow NY-er, getting up to speed to join Cat. 5 races towards the end of April. I'm sure I'll see you out there
rich007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-07, 03:19 PM   #3
Yep
no cat contains
 
Yep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Scotland
Bikes:
Posts: 695
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think you got the advantage thing backwards. You got a good warm-up riding to the race. He's gotta warm up on his trainer.
Yep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-07, 03:34 PM   #4
joshalope
Shut up and pedal!
Thread Starter
 
joshalope's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Queens, NY
Bikes: Custom Steel made by Alliance, Cannondale Capo, Kona Unit, Bridgestone RB, Ridley Triton
Posts: 279
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich007
Keep these updates up. They're really good. I'm subscribing to your blog, too

BTW, I'm a fellow NY-er, getting up to speed to join Cat. 5 races towards the end of April. I'm sure I'll see you out there
Thanks for the vote of confidence, and for subscribing, I really appreciate it. I've got a bunch more posts on there pretty much chronicling my first year as a racist... er, racer. See you in the peleton.
joshalope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-07, 03:36 PM   #5
DrPete 
Dirt-riding heretic
 
DrPete's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Gig Harbor, WA
Bikes: Lynskey R230/Red, Blue Triad SL/Red, Cannondale Scalpel 3/X9
Posts: 17,415
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
No mention of the mighty R600DuraAce. Wasn't he out there dropping the OMG poseurs?
__________________
"Unless he was racing there was no way he could match my speed."
DrPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-07, 03:59 PM   #6
zimbo
Senior Member
 
zimbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: North Carolina
Bikes:
Posts: 2,040
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Cool report. Nice race.

--Steve
zimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-07, 06:32 PM   #7
Dead Extra #2
Mostly Harmless
 
Dead Extra #2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Sittin' on a bench at the railway station, one toke over the line.
Bikes: Giant OCR1, Giant ATX760, Raleigh Retroglide Seven
Posts: 905
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks for the report. I love readin' 'em.
Dead Extra #2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-07, 06:51 PM   #8
DrWJODonnell
Slow'n'Aero
 
DrWJODonnell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Driving the pace in the crosswind
Bikes:
Posts: 2,599
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thank you for the report. It is well written. Personally, I don't like thw whole "throwing elbows" thing, but it is a NY race, and I have seen more than my fair share of that. Also, be happy that you got to ride there. It's a nice way to warm up and much better than on the trainer. I have done it both ways and much prefer the ride across town.

Finally, after the initial attack you described as being all out, you should not have been able to talk so much. And don't taunt the peloton unless you want to end up on the receiving end of a thrown water bottle.

Still, nice job. Keep the reports coming.
DrWJODonnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-07, 08:08 PM   #9
joshalope
Shut up and pedal!
Thread Starter
 
joshalope's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Queens, NY
Bikes: Custom Steel made by Alliance, Cannondale Capo, Kona Unit, Bridgestone RB, Ridley Triton
Posts: 279
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWJODonnell
Thank you for the report. It is well written. Personally, I don't like thw whole "throwing elbows" thing, but it is a NY race, and I have seen more than my fair share of that. Also, be happy that you got to ride there. It's a nice way to warm up and much better than on the trainer. I have done it both ways and much prefer the ride across town.

Finally, after the initial attack you described as being all out, you should not have been able to talk so much. And don't taunt the peloton unless you want to end up on the receiving end of a thrown water bottle.

Still, nice job. Keep the reports coming.
It wasn't so much throwing elbows, as gently persuading riders to let me in. Also, I had a teammate in a break, I had to do my part.

Absolutely true. My legs felt good afterwards, it was just a little psychologically daunting knowing that I had about an hour and 20 minutes of riding in before I got to the line. Basically all those carbs I had the day before were starting to get used up.

Perhaps that would knock some sense into me...

This was my second road race ever, and I've only been riding for about a year, so much of what I'm trying to accomplish is race knowledge in addition to physical performance. I've got to make mistakes now, so that I don't make them later on in the season when the races get longer. Thanks for the reply.
joshalope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-07, 07:40 AM   #10
danimal
bike parking is free
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: denver
Bikes: a road bike, a cross bike, and a track bike
Posts: 258
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshalope
It wasn't so much throwing elbows, as gently persuading riders to let me in. .

^that's the ideal way to snag a wheel....if you can just sorta move sombody over (as in, in a 5 race people aren't too good at staying close to a wheel and tend to move over without any contact if you just get a little close). also, on sweeping descents or turns if somebody lets even a small gap open up or moves over a little through a turn you can easily get in without throwing elbows.

-the only times i've honestly 'thrown elbows' is when someone is physically trying to bump me off a wheel (which can sometimes get them disqualified if they are really bumping around being dangerous) or if someone crosses the yellow-line to move up and then tries to squeeze in next to me.
danimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-07, 07:42 AM   #11
danimal
bike parking is free
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: denver
Bikes: a road bike, a cross bike, and a track bike
Posts: 258
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
also, i really enjoyed the report too! when i lived in nyc i hadn't gotten into racing, but it sounds like fun.
danimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-07, 07:51 AM   #12
botto 
.
 
botto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 40,362
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yep
I think you got the advantage thing backwards. You got a good warm-up riding to the race. He's gotta warm up on his trainer.
corretto.

if you're in reasonable form, riding to race is not going to put you at any disadvantage.
botto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-07, 07:57 AM   #13
botto 
.
 
botto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 40,362
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshalope
It wasn't so much throwing elbows, as gently persuading riders to let me in. Also, I had a teammate in a break, I had to do my part.
Time to stop playing Robbie McEwan.

While it's all fine and good to help a teammate, and it's all fine and good to do that by slowing down the pace at the front, it is by no means all fine and good trying to do that by 'gently persuading' someone with your elbows.

Especially, no let me make this clear: ESPECIALLY considering that it's your 2nd race, and to make matters worse - it's a spring series race in PP.

'Doing your part' does not include putting other newbie racers into harms way.

Keep up the good work, but do yourself a favor and lose the elbow BS.

Last edited by botto; 04-02-07 at 09:08 AM.
botto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-07, 12:19 PM   #14
joshalope
Shut up and pedal!
Thread Starter
 
joshalope's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Queens, NY
Bikes: Custom Steel made by Alliance, Cannondale Capo, Kona Unit, Bridgestone RB, Ridley Triton
Posts: 279
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by botto
Time to stop playing Robbie McEwan.

While it's all fine and good to help a teammate, and it's all fine and good to do that by slowing down the pace at the front, it is by no means all fine and good trying to do that by 'gently persuading' someone with your elbows.

Especially, no let me make this clear: ESPECIALLY considering that it's your 2nd race, and to make matters worse - it's a spring series race in PP.

'Doing your part' does not include putting other newbie racers into harms way.

Keep up the good work, but do yourself a favor and lose the elbow BS.
Thanks for the constructive criticism. Like I said, at this point I'm all about learning as well as physical training. How do you propose then, staying up at the front and driving the pace slower? While I was racing, my thought was that by being assertive and showing where I wanted to go (with my elbows in this case instead of pointing like I would do during a club ride), other riders would think twice/hesitate about challenging me for position. Also, I don't really think I was putting anyone in harms way because I didn't jerk the bike around or swerve into position, I moved with planned control and gradually so as to give other riders a chance to respond (read: get out of the way), but I am new to the sport and racing so tips would be appreciated. After the race, some riders from other teams and myself were commenting on how everyone (with the exception of this one guy who almost caused a crash with his erratic line) was looking really good and riding really safe.

P.S. Welcome back Botto
joshalope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-07, 12:30 PM   #15
botto 
.
 
botto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 40,362
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshalope
Thanks for the constructive criticism. Like I said, at this point I'm all about learning as well as physical training. How do you propose then, staying up at the front and driving the pace slower?
imo one rider can not hold back a peloton.

the best you can hope for is that there's only a few guys pulling at the front. you get into that group, but discretely soft-pedal when you're doing your pull.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshalope
While I was racing, my thought was that by being assertive and showing where I wanted to go (with my elbows in this case instead of pointing like I would do during a club ride), other riders would think twice/hesitate about challenging me for position.
when i'm racing, i will take a wheel when i want, and when i'm not cutting someone off, or pushing them into danger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshalope
Also, I don't really think I was putting anyone in harms way because I didn't jerk the bike around or swerve into position, I moved with planned control and gradually so as to give other riders a chance to respond (read: get out of the way),
you were in a cat 5 race, correct?

the rules are different there. while i never did the 5s, i'm sure the 4s were the same thing, which is what i did, when i started racing (in CP & PP fwiw).

don't try things you've read on cyclingnews, or that you've seen on TV. the 5s will over-react.

when i'm racing, it's not uncommon for me to put a hand on the hip, and give a gentle nudge. i'd NEVER try that in a 5 race. most likely someone would over-react and cause a pile-up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshalope
but I am new to the sport and racing so tips would be appreciated. After the race, some riders from other teams and myself were commenting on how everyone (with the exception of this one guy who almost caused a crash with his erratic line) was looking really good and riding really safe.

P.S. Welcome back Botto
thank you.

Last edited by botto; 04-02-07 at 12:47 PM.
botto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-07, 12:37 PM   #16
DrPete 
Dirt-riding heretic
 
DrPete's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Gig Harbor, WA
Bikes: Lynskey R230/Red, Blue Triad SL/Red, Cannondale Scalpel 3/X9
Posts: 17,415
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by botto
when i'm racing, it's not uncommon for me to put a hand on the hip, and give a gentle nudge. i'd NEVER try that in a 5 race. most likely someone would over-react and cause a pile-up.
+1,000,000. Most likely outcome is the guy will go swerving away from you and take out the pack. You can get away with more toucing and bumping in the 4's, but it's still something to use sparingly.
__________________
"Unless he was racing there was no way he could match my speed."
DrPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:50 PM.