looking for a coach/training plan/something...
my mind is rather awash in 'options' at the moment so i figure i'd turn to the collective for some advice. i want to take my training up to the next level and have committed mentally to, at the minimum of getting a powertap, doing some threshold/base level testing and onto a set training regime/plan. that said, do i go with an online coach, an 'in person' setup, or just go it on my own for now.
- money (as always)
- road riding from metro chicago basically sucks and finding any kind of open space to keep a good pace without cars is near impossible.
- finally, the fact that i'm not an 'elite' level athlete by any means but more of a blank slate. i'm competitive on the track (cat 4) and in the crit's (cat 5) i've done, but want to take things up to the next level
what i'm considering at the moment
- online: carmichael training, select level
- 'in person': vision quest coaching, run by robbie ventura. this is where i'm leaning right now. i'm a little hesitant of how it works though... basically like a cyclist/triathlete oriented gym membership. the level within my reach is comparable in price to the carmichael select. that level membership gives you access to all their workouts, indoor and outdoor, but not the dedicated attention of a one on one coach. they have a nice setup with computrainers all connected, there is a coach there at all the workouts, and all that. i can see this being a big benefit especially during the winter.
- getting tested/fit, etc. at vision quest and then taking those numbers and from there making my own plan via cyclist training bible et. al.