Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 27
  1. #1
    Nemesis of the mountain Cot Du Trent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Cocoa, Fl.
    My Bikes
    A 2005 Giant OCR3 and a 1970s Giant Quasar Fixed/Free conversion
    Posts
    370
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    what should I eat?

    I have a race tomorrow afternoon, and I'm wondering what some good race day foods are so I don't go in too heavy or too light and make myself sick. Over the past week I've been watching what I eat pretty closely. I always avoid things like fast food and soda, but even so, I've tried to avoid grease as much as possible and stick to salads and meats. I've thrown some fruit in there occasionally too. What would be good to eat on the day of the race? My race will be at 3 pm. Thanks in advance!

  2. #2
    Sittin' In Greko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    My Bikes
    CAAD9
    Posts
    45
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Before a race is NOT the time to try new things.

  3. #3
    Giving you the business. Cypress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Corvallis, Oregon
    My Bikes
    Ridley Noah, Giant Trinity Advanced, Specialized Crux
    Posts
    4,441
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Breakfast at 8am - Oatmeal with peanut butter and honey mixed in.

    Lunch at 12 - Small serving of pasta with tomato sauce.


    That's what I would do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderator
    Dear Cypress,

    You have received an infraction at Bike Forums.

  4. #4
    Geosynchronous Falconeer recursive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Sacramento, CA
    My Bikes
    2006 Raleigh Rush Hour, Campy Habanero Team Ti, Soma Double Cross
    Posts
    6,312
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Race day, I eat pretty normal stuff. Cereal for breakfast. Maybe a turkey sandwich in there somewhere. And at least one oatmeal cream pie before the race. The OCP is the key.
    Bring the pain.

  5. #5
    Aut Vincere Aut Mori Snuffleupagus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Chapel Hill, NC
    My Bikes
    Irish Cycles Tir na Nog, Jack Kane Team Racing, Fuji Aloha 1.0, GT Karakoram, Motobecane Fly Team
    Posts
    4,166
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nothing crazy.

    Seems to be the most popular answer, and the one that's worked best for me. YMMV, but if it's f**king hot, I like to drink an icee or something before the race. It's cold, and full of sugar.

  6. #6
    Royal Grand Exalted Pooba smoke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Eight Miles High
    My Bikes
    Time VXR ProTeam, Look 695, Pinarello Paris Carbon, Ridley Dean, Time ZXRS
    Posts
    1,362
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i always eat muesli 2-3 hours before a race. i just seem to ride well on it. and i eat a handful of espresso beans just before starting
    'In the end they will lay their freedom at our feet and say to us, "Make us your slaves, but feed us." '

    -Fyodor Dostoevsky's Grand Inquisitor

  7. #7
    more ape than man timmhaan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    nyc
    Posts
    8,093
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    for tomorrow, i would eat something you know will go down well. something safe like a pb&j sandwich and a banana or something like that.

    experiment with different things during training. sometimes things aren't always what they seem. i can normally tolerate oatmeal for breakfast, for example, but during a race it wants to come back up.

  8. #8
    Senior Member Duke of Kent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Upstate NY
    My Bikes
    Focus Raven 29er, Santa Cruz Blur LTc
    Posts
    4,573
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If the pro's can down a coke in the middle of a race, you can do the same before yours. Calories over the course of weeks or months are one thing, instant energy, caffeine and replenishing your body before or during an event are another. Just sayin'.
    "If a non personal post makes you feel as if you've been attacked, maybe the problem IS you."

  9. #9
    everyone has a plan... sleazy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    planet earth
    Posts
    541
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    3pm...


    let me gues- CAT5 at Deland?


    see you there.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    6,460
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cot Du Trent
    I have a race tomorrow afternoon, and I'm wondering what some good race day foods are so I don't go in too heavy or too light and make myself sick. Over the past week I've been watching what I eat pretty closely. I always avoid things like fast food and soda, but even so, I've tried to avoid grease as much as possible and stick to salads and meats. I've thrown some fruit in there occasionally too. What would be good to eat on the day of the race? My race will be at 3 pm. Thanks in advance!
    Eat what you'd normally eat, at the times you'd normally eat them. Your race start is at 3 pm so you have time for a breakfast and lunch ... and the secret ingredient to any successful race is one powdered mini doughnut, hostess only, about 15' before your race

  11. #11
    Nemesis of the mountain Cot Du Trent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Cocoa, Fl.
    My Bikes
    A 2005 Giant OCR3 and a 1970s Giant Quasar Fixed/Free conversion
    Posts
    370
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus
    Nothing crazy.

    Seems to be the most popular answer, and the one that's worked best for me. YMMV, but if it's f**king hot, I like to drink an icee or something before the race. It's cold, and full of sugar.
    That's a good idea! I'll give something like that a shot!

  12. #12
    Nemesis of the mountain Cot Du Trent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Cocoa, Fl.
    My Bikes
    A 2005 Giant OCR3 and a 1970s Giant Quasar Fixed/Free conversion
    Posts
    370
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cypress
    Breakfast at 8am - Oatmeal with peanut butter and honey mixed in.

    Lunch at 12 - Small serving of pasta with tomato sauce.


    That's what I would do.
    Thanks! I may just take that prescription, considering you can do 40 mph sprints.

  13. #13
    Nemesis of the mountain Cot Du Trent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Cocoa, Fl.
    My Bikes
    A 2005 Giant OCR3 and a 1970s Giant Quasar Fixed/Free conversion
    Posts
    370
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by recursive
    Race day, I eat pretty normal stuff. Cereal for breakfast. Maybe a turkey sandwich in there somewhere. And at least one oatmeal cream pie before the race. The OCP is the key.

    Thanks! I'll give it a shot!

  14. #14
    Nemesis of the mountain Cot Du Trent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Cocoa, Fl.
    My Bikes
    A 2005 Giant OCR3 and a 1970s Giant Quasar Fixed/Free conversion
    Posts
    370
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by smoke
    i always eat muesli 2-3 hours before a race. i just seem to ride well on it. and i eat a handful of espresso beans just before starting

    what's muesli?

  15. #15
    Nemesis of the mountain Cot Du Trent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Cocoa, Fl.
    My Bikes
    A 2005 Giant OCR3 and a 1970s Giant Quasar Fixed/Free conversion
    Posts
    370
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by timmhaan
    for tomorrow, i would eat something you know will go down well. something safe like a pb&j sandwich and a banana or something like that.

    experiment with different things during training. sometimes things aren't always what they seem. i can normally tolerate oatmeal for breakfast, for example, but during a race it wants to come back up.
    Ok! Thanks a bunch!

  16. #16
    Giving you the business. Cypress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Corvallis, Oregon
    My Bikes
    Ridley Noah, Giant Trinity Advanced, Specialized Crux
    Posts
    4,441
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cot Du Trent
    what's muesli?

    Corn flakes, nuts, and raisins.

    (to me anyways)
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderator
    Dear Cypress,

    You have received an infraction at Bike Forums.

  17. #17
    Nemesis of the mountain Cot Du Trent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Cocoa, Fl.
    My Bikes
    A 2005 Giant OCR3 and a 1970s Giant Quasar Fixed/Free conversion
    Posts
    370
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Duke of Kent
    If the pro's can down a coke in the middle of a race, you can do the same before yours. Calories over the course of weeks or months are one thing, instant energy, caffeine and replenishing your body before or during an event are another. Just sayin'.

    That's a good point. Thanks!

  18. #18
    Nemesis of the mountain Cot Du Trent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Cocoa, Fl.
    My Bikes
    A 2005 Giant OCR3 and a 1970s Giant Quasar Fixed/Free conversion
    Posts
    370
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cypress
    Corn flakes, nuts, and raisins.

    (to me anyways)

    Oh! So something like raisin bran?

  19. #19
    Nemesis of the mountain Cot Du Trent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Cocoa, Fl.
    My Bikes
    A 2005 Giant OCR3 and a 1970s Giant Quasar Fixed/Free conversion
    Posts
    370
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sleazy
    3pm...


    let me gues- CAT5 at Deland?


    see you there.

    Good call! Awesome! Good luck!

  20. #20
    Nemesis of the mountain Cot Du Trent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Cocoa, Fl.
    My Bikes
    A 2005 Giant OCR3 and a 1970s Giant Quasar Fixed/Free conversion
    Posts
    370
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MDcatV
    Eat what you'd normally eat, at the times you'd normally eat them. Your race start is at 3 pm so you have time for a breakfast and lunch ... and the secret ingredient to any successful race is one powdered mini doughnut, hostess only, about 15' before your race

    Thanks! Yeah, I'm seeing that last minute sugar rush thing a lot. I'll have to remember that.

  21. #21
    Royal Grand Exalted Pooba smoke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Eight Miles High
    My Bikes
    Time VXR ProTeam, Look 695, Pinarello Paris Carbon, Ridley Dean, Time ZXRS
    Posts
    1,362
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    or, just to be safe, you could try 'em all: spaghetti for lunch, and just before the race, eat a powdered donut, an oatmeal creme pie, some espresso beans, and wash it all down with an icee. you'll be unbeatable. you'll also be wired
    'In the end they will lay their freedom at our feet and say to us, "Make us your slaves, but feed us." '

    -Fyodor Dostoevsky's Grand Inquisitor

  22. #22
    Giving you the business. Cypress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Corvallis, Oregon
    My Bikes
    Ridley Noah, Giant Trinity Advanced, Specialized Crux
    Posts
    4,441
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cot Du Trent
    Oh! So something like raisin bran?

    With nuts and stuff. I've never really liked it, but some people swear by it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderator
    Dear Cypress,

    You have received an infraction at Bike Forums.

  23. #23
    Giving you the business. Cypress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Corvallis, Oregon
    My Bikes
    Ridley Noah, Giant Trinity Advanced, Specialized Crux
    Posts
    4,441
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by smoke
    or, just to be safe, you could try 'em all: spaghetti for lunch, and just before the race, eat a powdered donut, an oatmeal creme pie, some espresso beans, and wash it all down with an icee. you'll be unbeatable. you'll also be wired

    And fat. If I had heard someone ate all of that before a race, I'd stay the hell away from them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderator
    Dear Cypress,

    You have received an infraction at Bike Forums.

  24. #24
    Royal Grand Exalted Pooba smoke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Eight Miles High
    My Bikes
    Time VXR ProTeam, Look 695, Pinarello Paris Carbon, Ridley Dean, Time ZXRS
    Posts
    1,362
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cot Du Trent
    Oh! So something like raisin bran?
    no. there are a lot of oats in it, also
    'In the end they will lay their freedom at our feet and say to us, "Make us your slaves, but feed us." '

    -Fyodor Dostoevsky's Grand Inquisitor

  25. #25
    Royal Grand Exalted Pooba smoke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Eight Miles High
    My Bikes
    Time VXR ProTeam, Look 695, Pinarello Paris Carbon, Ridley Dean, Time ZXRS
    Posts
    1,362
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cypress
    And fat. If I had heard someone ate all of that before a race, I'd stay the hell away from them.
    me too. they'll be strung out higher than a kite for 34 minutes, then go into insulin shock and fall off their bike dead asleep

    yeah, i swear by muesli. the oats are great fuel, nuts mix in a bit of protein, and the raisins are good for iron and blood. stuff just works for me. YMMV
    'In the end they will lay their freedom at our feet and say to us, "Make us your slaves, but feed us." '

    -Fyodor Dostoevsky's Grand Inquisitor

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •