Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. #1
    Aluminium Crusader :-)
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    9,909
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Which frame material was Backstedt breaking last year?

    I just read in a UK mag that "Backstedt broke several frames last year"

    Were they titanium, or what?

    I've read that at one stage he prefered titanium

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Athens, Ohio
    My Bikes
    Custom Custom Custom
    Posts
    5,104
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Liquigas was on Bianchi, and I believe they used the FG Lite, which was Aluminum, and also came in a Aluminum/carbon seatstays combination.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Melbourne
    My Bikes
    Scapin EOS7 sloping, 10v Record, Ksyriums
    Posts
    6,411
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alu.

    Custom made for him.

  4. #4
    Carbon Fiber Bones elgalad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Adelaide, Australia
    My Bikes
    '07 Scott Speedster S30
    Posts
    980
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ed073 View Post
    Alu.

    Custom made for him.
    Incorrect.

    Everyone knows aluminium does not break

  5. #5
    Mitcholo CrimsonKarter21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Oost Vlaanderen in mind, Cleveland in body
    My Bikes
    2010 Mitcholo w/ Sram Force/Red
    Posts
    8,851
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Doesn't it have the dreaded fatigue cycles!?

  6. #6
    Biker looking for a ride!
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Edmond Oklahoma
    My Bikes
    Kuota Kreedo...looking for something different.
    Posts
    1,480
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I heard they finally started filling the BB area with some type of reinforcement foam and he stopped breaking them...

  7. #7
    Aluminium Crusader :-)
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    9,909
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ed073 View Post
    Alu.

    Custom made for him.
    hmmm, I see

    thanks

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Melbourne
    My Bikes
    Scapin EOS7 sloping, 10v Record, Ksyriums
    Posts
    6,411
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elgalad View Post
    Incorrect.

    Everyone knows aluminium does not break

    lol.

  9. #9
    Resident Alien Racer Ex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Location, location.
    Posts
    11,438
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Luddiites everywhere sigh in disappointment that it wasn't carbon fiber.

  10. #10
    Light Makes Right GV27's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Green Mountain, Colorado
    My Bikes
    Gianni Motta Criterium, Dean Hardtail
    Posts
    1,521
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maggy's just a big strong boy! Really doesn't matter what material - they can all be made strong enough. Just that Maggy's so much stronger than even the rest of the ProTour peloton that a "standard" bike just isn't strong enough!

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    1,085
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I dont think it was a bianchi. Goes back to something the Blue rep said to me, evidently at interbike last year the blue rep and magnus hung out and he really liked the bike. The guys at Blue we're going to had a custom blue tr250 made for magnus for some track championships, like the derny or something like that. Evidently they didnt get the Tr250 to him in time but he was glad he didnt because magnus ended up breaking whatever bike he rode, and the rep didnt want bad publicity. But I think i twas a custom bike and definatly not a bianchi.

    The rep also kept saying how liquigas didnt let him keep any of his bianchis, so it definatly wasnt a bianchi.
    Cat 1 o-meter 33%

  12. #12
    Senior Member DannoXYZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Saratoga, CA
    Posts
    11,507
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GV27 View Post
    Maggy's just a big strong boy! Really doesn't matter what material - they can all be made strong enough. Just that Maggy's so much stronger than even the rest of the ProTour peloton that a "standard" bike just isn't strong enough!
    Also no one would be stupid enough to build an indestructible bike anyway. You want it just strong enough to last a season or two, or if you've got big budgets, just long enough to survive one race. It's kinda like slicks on race-cars or motorcycles, low-durability gives you an advantage in performance such as weight-savings. At the pro-level, 1-2 lbs can make a big difference in the climbs.

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    255
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 531Aussie View Post
    I just read in a UK mag that "Backstedt broke several frames last year"

    Were they titanium, or what?

    I've read that at one stage he prefered titanium
    When Big Mag was on Liquigas he ended up breaking a bunch of al and ti frames. He ended up with a straight gauge (ie not butted) custom ti frame from Bianchi. BTW they had all this figured out by PR if IIRC.
    Damn the Man, Save the Empire
    Brooklyn Velo Force

  14. #14
    DocRay
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by recneps View Post
    I dont think it was a bianchi. Goes back to something the Blue rep said to me, evidently at interbike last year the blue rep and magnus hung out and he really liked the bike. The guys at Blue we're going to had a custom blue tr250 made for magnus for some track championships, like the derny or something like that. Evidently they didnt get the Tr250 to him in time but he was glad he didnt because magnus ended up breaking whatever bike he rode, and the rep didnt want bad publicity. But I think i twas a custom bike and definatly not a bianchi.

    The rep also kept saying how liquigas didnt let him keep any of his bianchis, so it definatly wasnt a bianchi.
    It was Bianchi, over two years ago. He kept breaking the hybrid frames at the carbon rear dropout. they then put him on a custom Ti frame.

    http://www.serotta.com/forum/archive...p?t-13709.html

    I don't know why this is coming up now.

  15. #15
    Aluminium Crusader :-)
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    9,909
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DocRay View Post

    I don't know why this is coming up now.
    SORREE

  16. #16
    Senior Member classic1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    5,019
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DocRay View Post

    I don't know why this is coming up now.

    Probably because you gave it a little tug.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •