Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Have fun, kids!

  1. #1
    Texas Fight! UT_Dude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    2,023
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Have fun, kids!

    Meh. I figured out why racing has been a chore for me as of late. I have a love affair with riding my bike, but haven't been fun with racing. I've been so concentrated on trying to win, I haven't been meeting people, hanging out, or really trying to have fun with it.

    Last night, I changed that. I rode a crappy race (I was tired), but had the most fun i've ever had at our local training race.

    Moral of the story? Have fun kids, or find a new hobby!
    T E X A S F I G H T !
    http://www.chriscollins.org

  2. #2
    Isaias NoRacer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Essex, MD
    My Bikes
    Ridley X-Fire (carbon, white)
    Posts
    5,174
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by UT_Dude View Post
    Meh. I figured out why racing has been a chore for me as of late. I have a love affair with riding my bike, but haven't been fun with racing. I've been so concentrated on trying to win, I haven't been meeting people, hanging out, or really trying to have fun with it.

    Last night, I changed that. I rode a crappy race (I was tired), but had the most fun i've ever had at our local training race.

    Moral of the story? Have fun kids, or find a new hobby!
    Yep! The official at our training races always reminds us that it's just a training race and to -have fun-.
    2009 mileage = 14,738 miles; 2010 mileage = 15,234 miles; 2011 mileage = 17,344 miles; 2012 mileage = 11,414 miles; 2013 = 12,169

  3. #3
    Acquiring new target.... carlfreddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    St. Louis, MO
    My Bikes
    Trek XO-1, Gary Fisher Rig
    Posts
    1,276
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I try and lighten the mood up at our Tuesday night training races by striking up conversations with people, but unfortunately racers in the C race aren't very conversational.
    There are only 10 types of people in the world; those who understand binary, and those who don't.

    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...dy/cartoon.gif

  4. #4
    Texas Fight! UT_Dude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    2,023
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by carlfreddy View Post
    I try and lighten the mood up at our Tuesday night training races by striking up conversations with people, but unfortunately racers in the C race aren't very conversational.
    That's what I did last night. Totally worked .
    T E X A S F I G H T !
    http://www.chriscollins.org

  5. #5
    Acquiring new target.... carlfreddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    St. Louis, MO
    My Bikes
    Trek XO-1, Gary Fisher Rig
    Posts
    1,276
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess in our C race there aren't enough riders who feel comfortable enough to have a convo while riding in the pack.

    Oh well, luckily next week is the last time I'll be running the C race, I'm moving up to a delux apartm..., er I'm cat'n up. w00!
    There are only 10 types of people in the world; those who understand binary, and those who don't.

    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...dy/cartoon.gif

  6. #6
    Making a kilometer blurry waterrockets's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Austin (near TX)
    My Bikes
    rkwaki's porn collection
    Posts
    26,087
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by UT_Dude View Post
    Meh. I figured out why racing has been a chore for me as of late. I have a love affair with riding my bike, but haven't been fun with racing. I've been so concentrated on trying to win, I haven't been meeting people, hanging out, or really trying to have fun with it.

    Last night, I changed that. I rode a crappy race (I was tired), but had the most fun i've ever had at our local training race.

    Moral of the story? Have fun kids, or find a new hobby!
    Glad you had a good time. You REALLY need to get out to the Tuesday Nighter if you're looking for fun! It's so great to have a real road race every week like that. You can just screw off and attack, get dropped, loop back in, and do it again. It's a total blast.

    Last night, I was frustrated, but I can look back on it as fun. I expected so much more than 7th.

  7. #7
    starting pistol means war YMCA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    east coast
    My Bikes
    Cervelo R3
    Posts
    3,063
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Man, there is nothing worse than hearing a conversation during a short training race. I mean it's like 45' long and I'll hear a couple guys talking about their dogs favorite chew toy. Geez, what's wrong with racing for a tough bit and then have some fun afterwards at the Burrito joint.

    Fun, another way of saying let's not try. Now if you had used the word suffer in the same sentence as fun, then I'd give you a small break.

    I have fun with my kids after school. I have suffering-fun at races.

  8. #8
    Acquiring new target.... carlfreddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    St. Louis, MO
    My Bikes
    Trek XO-1, Gary Fisher Rig
    Posts
    1,276
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by YMCA View Post
    Man, there is nothing worse than hearing a conversation during a short training race. I mean it's like 45' long and I'll hear a couple guys talking about their dogs favorite chew toy. Geez, what's wrong with racing for a tough bit and then have some fun afterwards at the Burrito joint.

    Fun, another way of saying let's not try. Now if you had used the word suffer in the same sentence as fun, then I'd give you a small break.

    I have fun with my kids after school. I have suffering-fun at races.
    What's wrong with striking up a conversation if the pack is just motoring along.

    I'm not about to ask the dude next to me how his day has been when we're right in the middle of trying to chase down a break, but usually it's not always go go go....
    There are only 10 types of people in the world; those who understand binary, and those who don't.

    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...dy/cartoon.gif

  9. #9
    cmh
    cmh is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    2,264
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by carlfreddy View Post
    What's wrong with striking up a conversation if the pack is just motoring along.

    I'm not about to ask the dude next to me how his day has been when we're right in the middle of trying to chase down a break, but usually it's not always go go go....
    I think what YMCA is saying is that if it is just a training race, and you have the energy to chat, why don't you get up front and attack? If it isn't always go go go, then make it that way.

  10. #10
    Acquiring new target.... carlfreddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    St. Louis, MO
    My Bikes
    Trek XO-1, Gary Fisher Rig
    Posts
    1,276
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sometimes I like to hone my pack ridin' skillz by sittin' in and surfin' the pack!
    There are only 10 types of people in the world; those who understand binary, and those who don't.

    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...dy/cartoon.gif

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •