Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 38

Thread: PowerTap issue

  1. #1
    Used to be a climber.. GuitarWizard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    North Providence, RI
    My Bikes
    None at the moment
    Posts
    6,821
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    PowerTap issue

    Alright....went to upload a ride tonight, and the sync timed out, and now the damn head unit is stuck on "host"...and has been for like 45 minutes, even out of the cradle thingy. Can't seem to clear it...anyone run into this?
    1999 Trek 2500 - hit by a car on it in May, 2011 and currently bikeless

  2. #2
    Senior Member raptor3x's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    175
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GuitarWizard View Post
    Alright....went to upload a ride tonight, and the sync timed out, and now the damn head unit is stuck on "host"...and has been for like 45 minutes, even out of the cradle thingy. Can't seem to clear it...anyone run into this?
    Have you tried removing the battery?
    The best part of being a mad scientist is never having to ask yourself, "Should I really be doing this?"

  3. #3
    Peloton Dog patentcad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Chester, NY
    My Bikes
    2013 Scott Foil, 2009 Scott Addict R2, 2008 Cervelo P3 TT bike, 2008 Motobecane Fly Ti Hard Tail MTB
    Posts
    56,251
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Just got 'Training With a Power Meter' book, says Powertap is not compatible with Mac. Isn't that out of date? Can you upload Powertap data into the Mac via Powertap's own software or Cycling Peaks' Mac version?

  4. #4
    Used to be a climber.. GuitarWizard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    North Providence, RI
    My Bikes
    None at the moment
    Posts
    6,821
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, that worked. I was going to try it before, but was afraid my ride info would get wiped out. Fortunately, it didn't....but are my other settings going to have to be reset now like when I first got it?
    1999 Trek 2500 - hit by a car on it in May, 2011 and currently bikeless

  5. #5
    Used to be a climber.. GuitarWizard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    North Providence, RI
    My Bikes
    None at the moment
    Posts
    6,821
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Who the hell uses a Mac?
    1999 Trek 2500 - hit by a car on it in May, 2011 and currently bikeless

  6. #6
    Used to be a climber.. GuitarWizard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    North Providence, RI
    My Bikes
    None at the moment
    Posts
    6,821
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Woohoo....16 miles, 59 minutes, averaged 110 watts....recovery ride.
    1999 Trek 2500 - hit by a car on it in May, 2011 and currently bikeless

  7. #7
    Peloton Dog patentcad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Chester, NY
    My Bikes
    2013 Scott Foil, 2009 Scott Addict R2, 2008 Cervelo P3 TT bike, 2008 Motobecane Fly Ti Hard Tail MTB
    Posts
    56,251
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GuitarWizard View Post
    Who the hell uses a Mac?
    18% of laptop marketshare in the latest quarter. Don't think Windows can have a serious challenge? Stay tuned. In the meantime I'll keep buying Apple stock. I'll sell after Apple annual gross revenues actually surpass those of Microsoft in say, 2013.

    You insufferable Windows PINHEADS.

    Wait, now that I've insulted 95% of BF, will anyone ever answer my question? Wait, I insult 99% of BF on a regular basis and nobody seems to mind.

  8. #8
    Texas Fight! UT_Dude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    2,023
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by patentcad View Post
    Just got 'Training With a Power Meter' book, says Powertap is not compatible with Mac. Isn't that out of date? Can you upload Powertap data into the Mac via Powertap's own software or Cycling Peaks' Mac version?
    Cycling Peaks has a Mac version? I'm freaking tired of Boot Camp, 'cuz I hate Windows.

    Either way, you *can* use Boot Camp to do it...
    T E X A S F I G H T !
    http://www.chriscollins.org

  9. #9
    Peloton Dog patentcad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Chester, NY
    My Bikes
    2013 Scott Foil, 2009 Scott Addict R2, 2008 Cervelo P3 TT bike, 2008 Motobecane Fly Ti Hard Tail MTB
    Posts
    56,251
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I Googled it (duh) and found an Open Source app from Golden Cheetah.org. Has anyone used this? Is this something Pcad's Dumber Than a Fifth Grader Brain could manage?

    Frankly this Power Meter stuff sounds interesting, but I get the feeling I'll be like Homer at the nuclear power plant controls.


  10. #10
    like an ice cream koan chass's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    SF
    My Bikes
    Felt FC
    Posts
    55
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by patentcad View Post
    I Googled it (duh) and found an Open Source app from Golden Cheetah.org. Has anyone used this? Is this something Pcad's Dumber Than a Fifth Grader Brain could manage?
    Can't speak to Golden Cheetah, but I run Cycling Peaks via VMWare's Fusion on my Macbook. I gotta say I'm a fan... I really didn't want to have to reboot through bootcamp (cycling peaks is the ONLY reason I need window on my machine) and Fusion lets me run CP as if it were any other app on my macbook, using expose to go back and forth between CP and the web, etc. It does hog a bit of RAM and performance slows somewhat, but not too bad. (I've got 1 gig on a 2.0 Core Duo)

    Install was almost entirely painless, but figuring out how to configure the USB ports rquired jumping through a few hoops. Now that it's all set up, I haven't had to think twice about anything. Just open Fusion, plug in the powertap to the cradle and hit download.

    So yeah, I highly recommend Fusion for Cycling Peaks.
    "One doesn't discover new lands without consenting to lose sight of the shore for a very long time." -André Gide

  11. #11
    Climbing Above It All BikeWNC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Basking in the Sun.
    Posts
    4,146
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by patentcad View Post
    Just got 'Training With a Power Meter' book, says Powertap is not compatible with Mac. Isn't that out of date? Can you upload Powertap data into the Mac via Powertap's own software or Cycling Peaks' Mac version?
    There is no Mac version. If you have a Mac you need to use Parallels or Boot Camp to run Windows. I have an Intel Mac that has Parallels and XP so that is the route I plan to go to. I have a PC which I still use but will eventually make the move to the Mac. You also need a USB>Serial cable for the interface with the PT computer.

  12. #12
    Peloton Dog patentcad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Chester, NY
    My Bikes
    2013 Scott Foil, 2009 Scott Addict R2, 2008 Cervelo P3 TT bike, 2008 Motobecane Fly Ti Hard Tail MTB
    Posts
    56,251
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chass View Post
    Can't speak to Golden Cheetah, but I run Cycling Peaks via VMWare's Fusion on my Macbook. I gotta say I'm a fan... I really didn't want to have to reboot through bootcamp (cycling peaks is the ONLY reason I need window on my machine) and Fusion lets me run CP as if it were any other app on my macbook, using expose to go back and forth between CP and the web, etc. It does hog a bit of RAM and performance slows somewhat, but not too bad. (I've got 1 gig on a 2.0 Core Duo)

    Install was almost entirely painless, but figuring out how to configure the USB ports rquired jumping through a few hoops. Now that it's all set up, I haven't had to think twice about anything. Just open Fusion, plug in the powertap to the cradle and hit download.

    So yeah, I highly recommend Fusion for Cycling Peaks.
    chass, what is 'Fusion'? Is that some Windows emulation voodoo software? I'm all Macs here, I'm typing this on a 2.0 Core Duo Mac laptop, that's the computer I'd like to use with the cycling software (rather than the deskbound iMacs and Towers in my office).

  13. #13
    like an ice cream koan chass's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    SF
    My Bikes
    Felt FC
    Posts
    55
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by patentcad View Post
    chass, what is 'Fusion'? Is that some Windows emulation voodoo software? I'm all Macs here, I'm typing this on a 2.0 Core Duo Mac laptop, that's the computer I'd like to use with the cycling software (rather than the deskbound iMacs and Towers in my office).
    http://www.vmware.com/products/fusion/

    You hit the nail on the head- it's voodoo. And some smoove voodoo, at that. I have the exact same machine as you, and in my opinion, Fusion is the way to go.

    But just to help you make an edumicated decision:

    Bootcamp is Apple's software that lets you run Windows on an Intel Mac, but it requires it's own partition on the harddrive (basically staking claim on some real estate on your hard drive and guarding it with a shotgun to keep OS X from using it) and also requires you to reboot the computer every time you want to use a windows app. (You boot it in Windows or OS X, and never the twain shall meet)

    Parallels is a third party software that allows you to run Windows within OS X. Therefore, no need to dual boot, and no need for partitioning the hard drive.

    Fusion is the new kid on the block, and does more or less the same thing as Parallels, but all signs point to it doing it better.

    This is the article that sold me on Fusion:
    http://ptech.allthingsd.com/20070802...s-pc-software/

    I've come to really like it's "unity" feature, which is just a mactastic way of treating any windows app as if it were an OS X app. basically it does nothing functionally, but is amazing aesthetically.

    Hope this helps!
    "One doesn't discover new lands without consenting to lose sight of the shore for a very long time." -André Gide

  14. #14
    Used to be a climber.. GuitarWizard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    North Providence, RI
    My Bikes
    None at the moment
    Posts
    6,821
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Man...this is awesome....finally, someone else did the thread-hijacking instead of me
    1999 Trek 2500 - hit by a car on it in May, 2011 and currently bikeless

  15. #15
    Peloton Dog patentcad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Chester, NY
    My Bikes
    2013 Scott Foil, 2009 Scott Addict R2, 2008 Cervelo P3 TT bike, 2008 Motobecane Fly Ti Hard Tail MTB
    Posts
    56,251
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Sorry Chass, the thought of actually purchasing Windows and then installing it and running on my Mac is really too much to bear. That's like putting training wheels on your Ducati sport motorcycle. I'm not sure training with power is worth it.
    Last edited by patentcad; 09-08-07 at 04:54 AM.

  16. #16
    Ink-Stained Wretch pinky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Holyoke, MA
    Posts
    1,731
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My buddy/former teammate made Golden Cheetah when he was a grad student at MIT. Simple but good stuff.

  17. #17
    Used to be a climber.. GuitarWizard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    North Providence, RI
    My Bikes
    None at the moment
    Posts
    6,821
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pcad, if I had your money, I'd just get a second laptop with Windows to use CyclingPeaks.

    Oh yeah, I'd also just get an SRM too. Can I have your money?
    1999 Trek 2500 - hit by a car on it in May, 2011 and currently bikeless

  18. #18
    elitist jerk daytonian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Blow - hio
    My Bikes
    CAAD9
    Posts
    4,186
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by patentcad View Post
    Sorry Chass, the thought of actually purchasing Windows and then installing it and running on my Mac is really too much to bear. That's like putting training wheels on your Ducati sport motorcycle. I'm not sure training with power is worth it.
    Mr. Jobs won't give you a rebate for running Windows either.
    I feel like a soiled kleenex dropped in the gutter in the red-light district of Paris.

  19. #19
    like an ice cream koan chass's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    SF
    My Bikes
    Felt FC
    Posts
    55
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by patentcad View Post
    Sorry Chass, the thought of actually purchasing Windows and then installing it and running on my Mac is really too much to bear. That's like putting training wheels on your Ducati sport motorcycle. I'm not sure training with power is worth it.

    Hey, no skin off my back if it's not your thing.

    But, I wouldn't advocate actually paying for Windows... I'm sure there are a few install disks floating around in your extended family or whatever. I also get a kick out of showing my anti-mac brother and father the fact my Mac can run their belovedly familiar windows within it's own operating system. IMHO, the main drawback to Windows is it's vulnerability via the internet... so after I let windows get itself all up to date with software updates, I went to exactly one webpage, cyclingpeaks.com, and then disallowed Windows use of my airport.

    I do have to say- once again IMHO- that training with power is DEFINITELY worth it. The things that I have learned about myself and my capabilities from the Powertap far surpasses any negatives or hassles of putting a roof rack on my M5. I really think that Powertap/SRM is the most useful upgrade one can make to a bike. It really blew me away.

    But once again, I have no stake in your decision. I am here to help enable you to make the right one, however.
    "One doesn't discover new lands without consenting to lose sight of the shore for a very long time." -André Gide

  20. #20
    Peloton Dog patentcad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Chester, NY
    My Bikes
    2013 Scott Foil, 2009 Scott Addict R2, 2008 Cervelo P3 TT bike, 2008 Motobecane Fly Ti Hard Tail MTB
    Posts
    56,251
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Let me see if I got this right. You put a roof rack on your M5?

    Sweet mother of Merckx, the Humanity.

  21. #21
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    323
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chass View Post
    I do have to say- once again IMHO- that training with power is DEFINITELY worth it. The things that I have learned about myself and my capabilities from the Powertap far surpasses any negatives or hassles of putting a roof rack on my M5. I really think that Powertap/SRM is the most useful upgrade one can make to a bike. It really blew me away.
    Whoa, that's devil talk there. I used to put my bike in the trunk/backseat of my M3, and I had a roof rack on my older M3, and both were horrible. I've seen the light, go buy a tahoe and keep the M5 nice.

  22. #22
    Peloton Dog patentcad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Chester, NY
    My Bikes
    2013 Scott Foil, 2009 Scott Addict R2, 2008 Cervelo P3 TT bike, 2008 Motobecane Fly Ti Hard Tail MTB
    Posts
    56,251
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Are there no automotive depths to which bike weenies will not sink in their hapless efforts to transport their dopey velo-crap? Apparently not.

  23. #23
    like an ice cream koan chass's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    SF
    My Bikes
    Felt FC
    Posts
    55
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by patentcad View Post
    Are there no automotive depths to which bike weenies will not sink in their hapless efforts to transport their dopey velo-crap? Apparently not.
    actually i was attempting to allude to and re-frame your training wheels on a ducati analogy. apparently my attempt failed. i was trying to say it's not quite the nicest thing in the world, but it serves a very useful purpose. it's not quite the splinter in my minds eye that it is for you guys.

    you also have to realize that roof racks of all types are pretty much standard issue here in colorado. i think you actually need one to pass inspection. i can't imagine owning a car without having the bike, ski and kayak racks in rotation throughout the year. that's pretty much what a car is for. now, if only i could strap my kayak to my bike... hmm...

    so back to the matter at hand- what's the next tangent this thread is going to take?
    "One doesn't discover new lands without consenting to lose sight of the shore for a very long time." -André Gide

  24. #24
    Used to be a climber.. GuitarWizard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    North Providence, RI
    My Bikes
    None at the moment
    Posts
    6,821
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really could go for a pizza right about now
    1999 Trek 2500 - hit by a car on it in May, 2011 and currently bikeless

  25. #25
    Peloton Dog patentcad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Chester, NY
    My Bikes
    2013 Scott Foil, 2009 Scott Addict R2, 2008 Cervelo P3 TT bike, 2008 Motobecane Fly Ti Hard Tail MTB
    Posts
    56,251
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GuitarWizard View Post
    I really could go for a pizza right about now
    Pizza RULES.


Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •