Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-09-07, 09:41 AM   #1
UT_Dude
Texas Fight!
Thread Starter
 
UT_Dude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Austin, TX
Bikes:
Posts: 2,023
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Aaargh...

Chappell Hill is (was?) today. Pretty much the final race of the Texas road series, although there are a few more minor ones. I was pretty hyped up for it, hoping to put some kind of good-ish end on a rather lackluster season.

Anyways, last night was the Texas vs TCU football game, which I was at, and stayed way too late. Alarm was set for 7:00 today. 9:30 AM comes, and I look over at the clock with an "Oh, CRAP" sort of impression. Meh, back to bed for me.

Moral of the story: Football games are fun, so is sleeping, but don't do too much of either the night before a race.

Sorry, I'm a tad grouchy about oversleeping this, and felt the need to share
__________________
T E X A S F I G H T !
http://www.chriscollins.org
UT_Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-07, 09:43 AM   #2
GuitarWizard
Used to be a climber..
 
GuitarWizard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: East Baldwin, ME
Bikes: 2016 Ridley Fenix SL, 2013 PedalForce RS3-ISP, 2015 Trek 520 Disc
Posts: 6,834
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I kinda feel your pain. The night before a race I was all amped up for (Jiminy Peak Road Race), I woke up at 2 a.m. and realized I was dehydrated as all hell when I went to the bathroom and was peeing dark yellow. Stupid mistake.

Ah well....always next year.
GuitarWizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-07, 09:45 AM   #3
UT_Dude
Texas Fight!
Thread Starter
 
UT_Dude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Austin, TX
Bikes:
Posts: 2,023
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yeah, the fact that I spent 5 hours standing up screaming, plus getting dehydrated didn't really help either, I guess.

I love my football, but this is likely the last Fall I'll get to see much of it in person. I'm so torn. I care more about racing my bike, but I'm trying to make the most of games/friends while I still can.
__________________
T E X A S F I G H T !
http://www.chriscollins.org
UT_Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-07, 09:49 AM   #4
GuitarWizard
Used to be a climber..
 
GuitarWizard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: East Baldwin, ME
Bikes: 2016 Ridley Fenix SL, 2013 PedalForce RS3-ISP, 2015 Trek 520 Disc
Posts: 6,834
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The bike will be there for years to come....college, won't .
GuitarWizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-07, 10:11 AM   #5
botto 
.
 
botto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 40,362
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by UT_Dude View Post
Chappell Hill is (was?) today. Pretty much the final race of the Texas road series, although there are a few more minor ones. I was pretty hyped up for it, hoping to put some kind of good-ish end on a rather lackluster season.

Anyways, last night was the Texas vs TCU football game, which I was at, and stayed way too late. Alarm was set for 7:00 today. 9:30 AM comes, and I look over at the clock with an "Oh, CRAP" sort of impression. Meh, back to bed for me.

Moral of the story: Football games are fun, so is sleeping, but don't do too much of either the night before a race.

Sorry, I'm a tad grouchy about oversleeping this, and felt the need to share : mad:: mad:: mad:
incorrect.

moral of the story is: football is so boring it puts people into comas.

botto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-07, 10:12 AM   #6
GuitarWizard
Used to be a climber..
 
GuitarWizard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: East Baldwin, ME
Bikes: 2016 Ridley Fenix SL, 2013 PedalForce RS3-ISP, 2015 Trek 520 Disc
Posts: 6,834
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think the fun part is drinking with your buddies in the stands
GuitarWizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-07, 10:28 AM   #7
waterrockets 
Making a kilometer blurry
 
waterrockets's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Austin (near TX)
Bikes: rkwaki's porn collection
Posts: 26,130
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
That stinks. You need to upgrade to Cat 2 so you don't have to race as early
waterrockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-07, 10:31 AM   #8
GuitarWizard
Used to be a climber..
 
GuitarWizard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: East Baldwin, ME
Bikes: 2016 Ridley Fenix SL, 2013 PedalForce RS3-ISP, 2015 Trek 520 Disc
Posts: 6,834
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Heh....yeah, Pro/1/2 races and you can sleep 'till 10 a.m. LOL
GuitarWizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-07, 10:50 AM   #9
Enthalpic
Killing Rabbits
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 5,142
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarWizard View Post
I kinda feel your pain. The night before a race I was all amped up for (Jiminy Peak Road Race), I woke up at 2 a.m. and realized I was dehydrated as all hell when I went to the bathroom and was peeing dark yellow. Stupid mistake.

Ah well....always next year.
Yellow urine does not always equal dehydration. You could have just taken a b-vitamin and were pissing out the excess.
Enthalpic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-07, 11:08 AM   #10
Duke of Kent
Senior Member
 
Duke of Kent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Blacksburg, VA
Bikes: Yeti ASRc, Focus Raven 29er, Flyxii FR316
Posts: 4,833
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enthalpic View Post
Yellow urine does not always equal dehydration. You could have just taken a b-vitamin and were pissing out the excess.
Exactly. And, not only that, but no matter how hydrated you are at that point of the day, you'll be peeing yellow. All of the extra vitamin, mineral and old blood cell material filtered out by your kidneys settles down in your bladder over night.

Besides, if everything has be perfect before you'll race, you're not setting yourself up to face reality as it comes. Do what you can with what you have. A friend of mine won his first P/1/2 race the night after puking up a half dozen Jack and Cokes at 2am, racing at 1pm.
Duke of Kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-07, 11:22 AM   #11
rizz
I'm that guy that I am.
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Maryland
Bikes:
Posts: 1,153
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Cycling needs cheerleaders, then life will be complete.
rizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-07, 12:39 PM   #12
GuitarWizard
Used to be a climber..
 
GuitarWizard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: East Baldwin, ME
Bikes: 2016 Ridley Fenix SL, 2013 PedalForce RS3-ISP, 2015 Trek 520 Disc
Posts: 6,834
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enthalpic View Post
Yellow urine does not always equal dehydration. You could have just taken a b-vitamin and were pissing out the excess.
Yeah, but I also barely drank that day too....

As weird as it sounds, there are some days where I just don't feel like drinking much....can't really explain it. It's like I get tired of drinking water all the time.
GuitarWizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-07, 06:11 PM   #13
asmallsol
Cat3.*....Cat2
 
asmallsol's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Livonia, MI
Bikes: A lot.
Posts: 2,171
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I feel your pain. That was me last week. I even went to bed early, taking it easy, and the ringer on my phone (/alarm) decided to stop working and then woke up naturally the exact time of the start time.
asmallsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-07, 06:27 PM   #14
kensuf
My idea of fun
 
kensuf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Gainesville, FL
Bikes: '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '02 Kona Lavadome, '07 Giant TCR Advanced, '07 Karate Monkey
Posts: 9,804
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I stayed out dancing with Mrs. kensuf until 1:30AM on Friday and missed my group ride Saturday morning. This morning I decided to sleep in and go hit some dirt trails this afternoon instead; first time I'd been on a mountain bike in two years, I came home looking like pigpen -- that was fun.

I think I needed the weekend off..
kensuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-07, 06:51 PM   #15
runtimmyc
Huh?
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Blacksburg
Bikes: Salsa Campeon, Schwinn Peloton
Posts: 230
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I got woken up at 3:30am from the neighbors playing loud music. I felt like an old man going over to their door and asking them to turn the music down. 3:30 is one hell of a time to start partying.

Anyways, I decieded to sleep through the group ride this morning. Not as bad as missing a race, but annoying none the less.
runtimmyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-07, 09:42 PM   #16
merlinextraligh
pan y agua
 
merlinextraligh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Jacksonville
Bikes: Wilier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Co-Motion Robusta; Schwinn Paramount; Motobecane Phantom Cross; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Calfee Dragonfly Tandem
Posts: 29,126
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by UT_Dude View Post

I love my football, but this is likely the last Fall I'll get to see much of it in person. I'm so torn. I care more about racing my bike, but I'm trying to make the most of games/friends while I still can.
Ask yourself, would you rather watch someone else compete in a sport, or compete yourself?

While I enjoy football, I'd ratherlive my life directly, rather than vicariously.


That said, just man up and do what Jacque Anquetil would have done.
merlinextraligh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-07, 09:51 PM   #17
ericcox
Trying to keep up
 
ericcox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Fort Worth
Bikes: Orbea Onix & Bianchi Premio
Posts: 1,907
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just to be contrary... This is your last year in college. Who knows how many years of competitve cycling ahead of you. Enjoy your senior year (within reason). The two biggest mistakes I see from seniors are 1) they forget to prepare for life after graduation and that classes still count, even if you are tired of them; and 2) they forget that they are unlikely to have the opportunity to enjoy the unique opportunities available to college students. Grad school is not the same, and for those of us who have decided to make a job of college, it still isn't the same (technically 3, but you get the point). So find balance. Prepare for the future, but enjoy yourself. Besides, this season could be special for you. I, for one, am ranking UT as my national title dark horse to make myself feel better about Saturday night.

Besides, you still have your final collegiate road season next spring, right?

edit to fix freudian slip
ericcox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-07, 09:44 AM   #18
Bantam
Senior Member
 
Bantam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: South Carolina
Bikes: Trek 1500
Posts: 1,187
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarWizard View Post
Yeah, but I also barely drank that day too....

As weird as it sounds, there are some days where I just don't feel like drinking much....can't really explain it. It's like I get tired of drinking water all the time.
When I get that feeling I drink Gatorade or Powerade
Bantam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-07, 09:51 AM   #19
botto 
.
 
botto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 40,362
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bantam View Post
When I get that feeling I drink Gatorade or Powerade
for a hit of corn syrup?
botto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-07, 12:40 PM   #20
UT_Dude
Texas Fight!
Thread Starter
 
UT_Dude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Austin, TX
Bikes:
Posts: 2,023
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yeah, next Spring will be fun . I'd like to agree with the Dark Horse bit, but we'll see.

The game was considerably closer than it looked -- TCU's special teams self destructed there, and while I think we still would have come away with the win, I'm thinking 20-10 would be more correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericcox View Post
Just to be contrary... This is your last year in college. Who knows how many years of competitve cycling ahead of you. Enjoy your senior year (within reason). The two biggest mistakes I see from seniors are 1) they forget to prepare for life after graduation and that classes still count, even if you are tired of them; and 2) they forget that they are unlikely to have the opportunity to enjoy the unique opportunities available to college students. Grad school is not the same, and for those of us who have decided to make a job of college, it still isn't the same (technically 3, but you get the point). So find balance. Prepare for the future, but enjoy yourself. Besides, this season could be special for you. I, for one, am ranking UT as my national title dark horse to make myself feel better about Saturday night.

Besides, you still have your final collegiate road season next spring, right?

edit to fix freudian slip
__________________
T E X A S F I G H T !
http://www.chriscollins.org
UT_Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-07, 01:01 PM   #21
patentcad
Peloton Dog
 
patentcad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Chester, NY
Bikes: 2013 Scott Foil, 2014 Scott Addict, 2008 Cervelo P3 (TT), 2015 Scott Scale 700SL MTB
Posts: 59,454
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
At least you spelled 'aaargh' right. See? College is good for something.
patentcad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-07, 01:34 PM   #22
merlinextraligh
pan y agua
 
merlinextraligh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Jacksonville
Bikes: Wilier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Co-Motion Robusta; Schwinn Paramount; Motobecane Phantom Cross; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Calfee Dragonfly Tandem
Posts: 29,126
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
^ Important skill with Pirates day coming up
merlinextraligh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-07, 02:02 PM   #23
dave99ag
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: College Station, TX
Bikes: KirkLee, Orbea Orca, Surly Steamroller
Posts: 178
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The heat was brutal at Chappell Hill yesterday. I heard a lot of 4s didn't have feeds and were really suffering. I could have used a feed in the 5s, but thought ahead and brought a third bottle.

I too battled the heat Saturday at the 3OT A&M game. Geez. I just wanted to get home and rest for CH, but no, the game had to go on forever!
dave99ag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-07, 02:04 PM   #24
UT_Dude
Texas Fight!
Thread Starter
 
UT_Dude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Austin, TX
Bikes:
Posts: 2,023
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave99ag View Post
The heat was brutal at Chappell Hill yesterday. I heard a lot of 4s didn't have feeds and were really suffering. I could have used a feed in the 5s, but thought ahead and brought a third bottle.

I too battled the heat Saturday at the 3OT A&M game. Geez. I just wanted to get home and rest for CH, but no, the game had to go on forever!
Heh, yup! And yours was earlier in the day w/ more heat. Yuck.

And yes, I can spell Aaargh... Hooray, me!
__________________
T E X A S F I G H T !
http://www.chriscollins.org
UT_Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-07, 02:16 PM   #25
waterrockets 
Making a kilometer blurry
 
waterrockets's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Austin (near TX)
Bikes: rkwaki's porn collection
Posts: 26,130
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
An oldie but a goodie:

waterrockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:03 PM.