Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    Yep
    Yep is offline
    no cat contains Yep's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    wintery and elevated
    Posts
    562
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Failure and Pizza (Man)

    I'm pretty down after getting pulled in a Cat 5 race today. I got gapped when the guy who's wheel I was sitting on sat up about 9 minutes into a crit. I struggled and squirmed, but couldn't catch back on. That's the second DNF in a row. After an earlier 4th place, I seem to be regressing.

    Oh, on a positive note, I was promptly shut down by none other than the infamous Pizza Man last Tuesday when I foolishly tried to attack on the "Heartbreak Hill" of a local training race. It's like a 35% grade, and he soft-pedaled past me. Soon after, I detonated.

    P.S. Pizza demolished the field by about a minute and a half. Just for clarification's sake, it was not a TT.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryanf
    its a start: 1. measure thighs 2. get on bike 3. win
    cat 2 - 1/30

  2. #2
    Peloton Dog patentcad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Chester, NY
    My Bikes
    2013 Scott Foil, 2009 Scott Addict R2, 2008 Cervelo P3 TT bike, 2008 Motobecane Fly Ti Hard Tail MTB
    Posts
    56,099
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Isn't a 35% grade similar to the side of an office building?

  3. #3
    Yep
    Yep is offline
    no cat contains Yep's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    wintery and elevated
    Posts
    562
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rough estimate. I think even the Pantani of BF would agree that it's quite the little wall though. It's the Infineon road course they use for NASCAR.

    http://www.goswinery.com/ircs/RoadCourseLayOut.pdf

    The "wall" is between points 1 and 2. Pizza Man has won this race so many times, he doesn't even bother to report on it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryanf
    its a start: 1. measure thighs 2. get on bike 3. win
    cat 2 - 1/30

  4. #4
    I'm that guy that I am.
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    1,153
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like it's time to remind a local official that the pizza man forgot to put in for his automatic upgrade!
    It's not how many miles you ride, but how hard you ride them. Time trials aren't races.

  5. #5
    Veni, Vidi, Vomiti SteveE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Republic of Anaerobia
    My Bikes
    Serotta Legend Ti, Romani Columbus SL, Soma Doublecross
    Posts
    3,582
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rizz View Post
    Sounds like it's time to remind a local official that the pizza man forgot to put in for his automatic upgrade!
    Yeah! When is Pizza Man going to upgrade to a Cat 1?
    "Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ...'holy *****...what a ride!'"

  6. #6
    pan y agua merlinextraligh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Jacksonville
    My Bikes
    Wilier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Co-Motion Robusta; Schwinn Paramount; Motobecane Phantom Cross; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er
    Posts
    27,306
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yep View Post
    I'm pretty down after getting pulled in a Cat 5 race today. I got gapped when the guy who's wheel I was sitting on sat up about 9 minutes into a crit. I struggled and squirmed, but couldn't catch back on. That's the second DNF in a row. After an earlier 4th place, I seem to be regressing.

    .
    Not regressing, just learning there's more to bike racing than just fitness. You need to learn what wheels to follow, even moreso in a CAt 5 race where the abilities are very mixed.

    If you stay further upfront, this is lesslikely to happen. Also if you observe carefully, you can usually anticipate it, and move on to another wheel before you get gapped.

    Just part of learning to read a race.

  7. #7
    Senior Member Snicklefritz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    In the middle of horse country, in The Garden State
    Posts
    3,112
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveE View Post
    Yeah! When is Pizza Man going to upgrade to a Cat 1?
    yeah, that's what I was wondering...SANDBAGGER!!

  8. #8
    Race to train jrennie's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    suffering on the back
    Posts
    3,115
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yep View Post
    I'm pretty down after getting pulled in a Cat 5 race today. .
    That makes two of us. I was so stoked to race the p1/2/3 and 15 minutes into it I stuck my rear wheel into the pothole after turn 3 and POP! Thunk, Thunk, Thunk. Knowing it is pretty damn hard to pinch flat a carbon tubular I feared the worst and wasn't dissapointed with a nice big crack.

  9. #9
    Racing iS my Training Pizza Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    San Francisco
    My Bikes
    07 Bianchi San Jose, 08 Tarmac SL2, 05 Cervelo P3
    Posts
    1,263
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep, sorry to hear about you getting pulled, but you can always come back and race Tuesday night again!

    jrennie - I've cracked 2 carbon wheels in crits in the past year, so now I only use them on the smoothest of courses. On the rough roads I use my Williams 19's. Great $500 wheels!

    I wish I could upgrade to Cat 1, but most of my races don't qualify for 1 of 3 reasons:
    Too short, field too small or racers too old (masters races don't count).
    The races that do qualify are usually stacked with a few pros who take the top places. I hope to get there next season, but the only way will probably be by doing a couple stage races with a separate Cat 2 field.

  10. #10
    In beaurocratic limbo urbanknight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    My Bikes
    Specialized Allez, K2 Razorback
    Posts
    22,457
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yep View Post
    Rough estimate. I think even the Pantani of BF would agree that it's quite the little wall though. It's the Infineon road course they use for NASCAR.
    That's roughly 10-15%, which is actually a decent grade for road bikes (or race cars)
    "Well, I guess you can cut the arts as much as you want... Sooner or later, these kids aren't going to have anything to read or write about." (Richard Dreyfus as Glenn Holland)

  11. #11
    Yep
    Yep is offline
    no cat contains Yep's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    wintery and elevated
    Posts
    562
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pizza Man View Post
    Yep, sorry to hear about you getting pulled, but you can always come back and race Tuesday night again!

    jrennie - I've cracked 2 carbon wheels in crits in the past year, so now I only use them on the smoothest of courses. On the rough roads I use my Williams 19's. Great $500 wheels!

    I wish I could upgrade to Cat 1, but most of my races don't qualify for 1 of 3 reasons:
    Too short, field too small or racers too old (masters races don't count).
    The races that do qualify are usually stacked with a few pros who take the top places. I hope to get there next season, but the only way will probably be by doing a couple stage races with a separate Cat 2 field.
    I'm too stupid NOT to come back. (And, for some reason, I love racing my bicycle.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryanf
    its a start: 1. measure thighs 2. get on bike 3. win
    cat 2 - 1/30

  12. #12
    Racing iS my Training Pizza Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    San Francisco
    My Bikes
    07 Bianchi San Jose, 08 Tarmac SL2, 05 Cervelo P3
    Posts
    1,263
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by urbanknight View Post
    That's roughly 10-15%, which is actually a decent grade for road bikes (or race cars)
    There are some short bits on the climb that approach 20% (if you go straight through the apex).

    Yep, be sure to say hello tomorrow night!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •