Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Vanc. Wa
    Posts
    523
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    OBRA Hillclimb Championship

    16.4 miles of fun up Larch Mtn (@3,400ft of climbing) that started with trying to punch into a headwind that was gusting up @ 25mph. Other than the wind it was a perfect day for riding a bike. It was nice to see so many show up for such a late season event. It was even nicer to win GOLD in the Cat 4, with a time of 1:03:44. Came in 5th overall, missed beating the top Cat 3 rider by 7 seconds.

    The amazing thing was everybody got whooped by a guy in the Masters 50 group, he was at 1:00:05.

  2. #2
    Senior Member RockyMtnMerlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Laramie Wyoming
    My Bikes
    Merlin Extralight Topolino Wheels Campy Record
    Posts
    2,972
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fishmel View Post
    16.4 miles of fun up Larch Mtn (@3,400ft of climbing) that started with trying to punch into a headwind that was gusting up @ 25mph. Other than the wind it was a perfect day for riding a bike. It was nice to see so many show up for such a late season event. It was even nicer to win GOLD in the Cat 4, with a time of 1:03:44. Came in 5th overall, missed beating the top Cat 3 rider by 7 seconds.

    The amazing thing was everybody got whooped by a guy in the Masters 50 group, he was at 1:00:05.
    Was it Ned Overend? He did the Iron Horse Classic in Durango and finished only about a minute behind Phil Zajicek!
    Last edited by RockyMtnMerlin; 09-10-07 at 10:21 AM.

  3. #3
    cmh
    cmh is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    2,261
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fishmel View Post
    16.4 miles of fun up Larch Mtn (@3,400ft of climbing) that started with trying to punch into a headwind that was gusting up @ 25mph. Other than the wind it was a perfect day for riding a bike. It was nice to see so many show up for such a late season event. It was even nicer to win GOLD in the Cat 4, with a time of 1:03:44. Came in 5th overall, missed beating the top Cat 3 rider by 7 seconds.

    The amazing thing was everybody got whooped by a guy in the Masters 50 group, he was at 1:00:05.
    Great win fishmel! 1:03:44 is screaming up that hill. With that kind of power will I should be seeing you in the Cat 3's next year.

    cmh

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Vanc. Wa
    Posts
    523
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cmh View Post
    Great win fishmel! 1:03:44 is screaming up that hill. With that kind of power will I should be seeing you in the Cat 3's next year.

    cmh
    Thanks cmh, I don't think I am ready for the beating that the Cat 3's are throwing down just yet. I feel I need to get alot better results in the 4's road races first. I should have done better thoughout the year, but after the ambulance ride at Silverton I basically had to start over. Hopefully winter training will go as planned, and I can start next year strong.

  5. #5
    Senior Member RockyMtnMerlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Laramie Wyoming
    My Bikes
    Merlin Extralight Topolino Wheels Campy Record
    Posts
    2,972
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay, so I looked it up. David Zimbelman.

  6. #6
    Senior Member Deanoldo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Vancouver, WA
    My Bikes
    '05 Yeti 575, , 01 Cannondale SI1000, 03 Felt F65, 07 Tarmac Pro
    Posts
    227
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fishmel View Post
    Thanks cmh, I don't think I am ready for the beating that the Cat 3's are throwing down just yet. I feel I need to get alot better results in the 4's road races first. I should have done better thoughout the year, but after the ambulance ride at Silverton I basically had to start over. Hopefully winter training will go as planned, and I can start next year strong.
    Good Job Fishmel!!!! I knew you'd do well in that race, ya big mountain goat... It's too bad we'll be racing against eachother next year and not with eachother......

    Dean

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Vanc. Wa
    Posts
    523
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Deanoldo View Post
    Good Job Fishmel!!!! I knew you'd do well in that race, ya big mountain goat... It's too bad we'll be racing against eachother next year and not with eachother......

    Dean
    Thanks Dean, Lets hook up and go Mtn Bike riding. Something not too tough so that I can keep up with you.

  8. #8
    Principiante
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Portland Oregon
    My Bikes
    Masi
    Posts
    241
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well done man. Great way to end the season on the road.
    Now you know we will have to call you "Champ".
    Ciao
    Paolo

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Vanc. Wa
    Posts
    523
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dabbo View Post
    Well done man. Great way to end the season on the road.
    Now you know we will have to call you "Champ".
    Ciao
    Paolo
    Thanks Paolo, hope all is well with you, and I will still be known as the "Chump"

  10. #10
    Little Pony obra3's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Salem, OR
    Posts
    667
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dude, Dave Z is a nat'l champ and a freak of nature. I know some really fast old guys who will race in the Master's 40+ instead of the 50+ just so they have a chance of winning their category. Not only is Dave Z really fast, he also owns a really cool bike shop in the The Dalles, OR.
    King Pony OBRA
    Blog
    Cat XXX Whatever Meter- I'll upgrade myself.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •