Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-19-07, 12:39 PM   #1
phlegmon
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 22
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Nationals location for 2008?

Any substantiated rumors? I heard South Carolina, but not sure it has a lot of credibility. Also, I guess this would be the USCF road fesitval by another name. The one held outside of Pittsburgh last July. The one where they give out stars and stripes jerseys. You know. That one.
phlegmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-07, 12:53 PM   #2
CrimsonKarter21
Mitcholo
 
CrimsonKarter21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Oost Vlaanderen in mind, Cleveland in body
Bikes: 2010 Mitcholo w/ Sram Force/Red
Posts: 8,850
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Uhhhh, the Road Festival in Seven Springs was for Juniors.
CrimsonKarter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-07, 12:54 PM   #3
Duke of Kent
Senior Member
 
Duke of Kent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Blacksburg, VA
Bikes: Yeti ASRc, Focus Raven 29er, Flyxii FR316
Posts: 4,833
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonKarter21 View Post
Uhhhh, the Road Festival in Seven Springs was for Juniors.
No, they also had the Masters and Elite nats there too.
Duke of Kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-07, 01:00 PM   #4
CrimsonKarter21
Mitcholo
 
CrimsonKarter21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Oost Vlaanderen in mind, Cleveland in body
Bikes: 2010 Mitcholo w/ Sram Force/Red
Posts: 8,850
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Oh, okay. And U23, I forgot about them. Anyways, I guess I didn't see any Elite's or Master's there, so in my brain they didn't exist.
CrimsonKarter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-07, 07:45 PM   #5
Racer Ex 
Resident Alien
 
Racer Ex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Location, location.
Bikes:
Posts: 12,481
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Rumor I heard Missouri is a possibility. Jumping off that, anybody heard anything on World's for Masters?
Racer Ex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-07, 08:13 PM   #6
carlfreddy
Acquiring new target....
 
carlfreddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: St. Louis, MO
Bikes: Trek XO-1, Gary Fisher Rig
Posts: 1,276
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Missouri?

I'd be tickled pink if that's true!
carlfreddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-07, 11:07 PM   #7
Racer Ex 
Resident Alien
 
Racer Ex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Location, location.
Bikes:
Posts: 12,481
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlfreddy View Post
Missouri?

I'd be tickled pink if that's true!
Talk to me about hills. Anything at all?
Racer Ex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-07, 11:18 PM   #8
carlfreddy
Acquiring new target....
 
carlfreddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: St. Louis, MO
Bikes: Trek XO-1, Gary Fisher Rig
Posts: 1,276
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer Ex View Post
Talk to me about hills. Anything at all?
It'll be tough to find any sustained climbs, but there are incessant rollers. Especially in the Ozark Mountain region (Southwest).

It gets pretty flat as you go north of the Missouri river.
carlfreddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-07, 05:24 AM   #9
YMCA
starting pistol means war
 
YMCA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Orlando, FL
Bikes: Cervelo R3
Posts: 3,140
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer Ex View Post
Rumor I heard Missouri is a possibility. Jumping off that, anybody heard anything on World's for Masters?
Masters Road World's are always in Austria as far as I know. Check www.uci.ch
YMCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-07, 06:06 AM   #10
botto 
.
 
botto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 40,362
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlfreddy View Post
It'll be tough to find any sustained climbs, but there are incessant rollers. Especially in the Ozark Mountain region (Southwest).

It gets pretty flat as you go north of the Missouri river.
the Mississippi as well.

botto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-07, 07:36 AM   #11
Duke of Kent
Senior Member
 
Duke of Kent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Blacksburg, VA
Bikes: Yeti ASRc, Focus Raven 29er, Flyxii FR316
Posts: 4,833
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
That picture could have been taken anywhere along I-57, 55, 70, 74, 40, 44...

Welcome to Illinois! The Prairie State!
Duke of Kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-07, 07:57 AM   #12
botto 
.
 
botto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 40,362
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Kent View Post
That picture could have been taken anywhere along I-57, 55, 70, 74, 40, 44...

Welcome to Illinois! The Prairie State!
bingo.
botto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-07, 12:51 PM   #13
gcasillo
Maglia Ciclamino
 
gcasillo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Fairfield, OH
Bikes: 2011 Bianchi Infinito, 2010 Surly Long Haul Trucker
Posts: 3,072
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Kent View Post
That picture could have been taken anywhere along I-57, 55, 70, 74, 40, 44...

Welcome to Illinois! The Prairie State!
I-70, a 4-lane interstate (2 east/2 west) with an access road running parallel each direction. I've gotten stuck on one of those parallel access roads, and I think I made better time before I got back onto the interstate. If they ever widen that stretch between St. Louis and K.C. to three or more lanes in each direction, it will be ten years too late.
gcasillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-07, 03:53 PM   #14
redal
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Bikes:
Posts: 1,243
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Last year when I was in Seven Springs, I heard from a worker at the resort that USAC had told them nationals would be in Tennessee this year. When I got back to Cali, there were rumors from someone who seems to be in the know that California and Hawaii had been proposed. Another rumor I heard is that USAC wants to break up the "festival" and have elite nationals seperate. I was kind of thinking of doing masters and elite again next year, but I wouldn't travel to two places to do it.
I have also heard that masters worlds are always in Austria. That was nothing official but from a guy that has won the road race and the tt there.
redal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-07, 08:14 PM   #15
YMCA
starting pistol means war
 
YMCA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Orlando, FL
Bikes: Cervelo R3
Posts: 3,140
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by redal View Post
Last year when I was in Seven Springs, I heard from a worker at the resort that USAC had told them nationals would be in Tennessee this year. When I got back to Cali, there were rumors from someone who seems to be in the know that California and Hawaii had been proposed. Another rumor I heard is that USAC wants to break up the "festival" and have elite nationals seperate. I was kind of thinking of doing masters and elite again next year, but I wouldn't travel to two places to do it.
I have also heard that masters worlds are always in Austria. That was nothing official but from a guy that has won the road race and the tt there.
You've got a lot of ears!
YMCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-07, 08:56 PM   #16
CrimsonKarter21
Mitcholo
 
CrimsonKarter21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Oost Vlaanderen in mind, Cleveland in body
Bikes: 2010 Mitcholo w/ Sram Force/Red
Posts: 8,850
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm hoping at least that juniors are close to home, Seven Springs would be awesome, because I'll already be missing a week+ of work for track. Last year, track was in CO, then a week after it ended, roads were in PA. Pretty dumb, but it worked for me.
CrimsonKarter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-07, 12:42 AM   #17
redal
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Bikes:
Posts: 1,243
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by YMCA View Post
You've got a lot of ears!

Just passing along what I know to people who want to know. Take it with a grain of salt as all of it was told to me by people I don't know nor trust. Except for the masters worlds stuff.
redal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-07, 09:03 AM   #18
Duke of Kent
Senior Member
 
Duke of Kent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Blacksburg, VA
Bikes: Yeti ASRc, Focus Raven 29er, Flyxii FR316
Posts: 4,833
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by redal View Post
Just passing along what I know to people who want to know. Take it with a grain of salt as all of it was told to me by people I don't know nor trust. Except for the masters worlds stuff.
Redal:

Where is the decisive point on the RR course? Does the race explode on the ~8km climb? Or do people save their pennies to cash in later on the ~4km climb towards the finish?

http://www.7springs.com/bike/images/rrcourse.jpg
Duke of Kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-07, 12:28 PM   #19
redal
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Bikes:
Posts: 1,243
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Kent View Post
Redal:

Where is the decisive point on the RR course? Does the race explode on the ~8km climb? Or do people save their pennies to cash in later on the ~4km climb towards the finish?

http://www.7springs.com/bike/images/rrcourse.jpg
I only did the masters rr this year and we rode a different course. Last year we rode that course and I liked it much better. This year the elites and U23s rode that course while the masters and jrs rode a different course. There is a very steep descent on that course and there were some crashes last year so they decided to put the masters and jrs on a "safer" course. Ironically there was a huge crash in the jr race this year. I did feed for the U23 race this year and what I saw was very similar to last year. The whole course is hard. Less guys get dropped on the 8km climb ( I don't think it's as steep), but what the chart doesn't really show you is that there is really no flat ground on that course and the constant attacking obliterates the fields. I'm not sure if that course is going to be used next year but it is a good one.
redal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-07, 09:56 PM   #20
Racer Ex 
Resident Alien
 
Racer Ex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Location, location.
Bikes:
Posts: 12,481
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by YMCA View Post
Masters Road World's are always in Austria as far as I know. Check www.uci.ch
Zilch on '08 thus far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redal View Post
Less guys get dropped on the 8km climb ( I don't think it's as steep), but what the chart doesn't really show you is that there is really no flat ground on that course and the constant attacking obliterates the fields. I'm not sure if that course is going to be used next year but it is a good one.
I understand some of the big motor/crit types hung in through the 8km to the last bit in some of the races.

Hopefully there will be a decision/announcement fairly soon on '08 Nats.
Racer Ex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-07, 11:10 PM   #21
redal
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Bikes:
Posts: 1,243
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer Ex View Post
Zilch on '08 thus far.



I understand some of the big motor/crit types hung in through the 8km to the last bit in some of the races.

Hopefully there will be a decision/announcement fairly soon on '08 Nats.
Masters didn't do the 8km climb this year. Last year on the course with the 8km climb there were less than half of us left after one full lap. Then the pack disintegrated to 1s and 2s on the last lap. On this years course we had the same finish as last year. After some pretty tough loops we hit that last climb with quite a few guys but the last climb did some seperating again.
redal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-07, 06:12 AM   #22
YMCA
starting pistol means war
 
YMCA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Orlando, FL
Bikes: Cervelo R3
Posts: 3,140
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
You guys keep talking about Seven Springs. USAC has a rule about doing Championships for two years in one spot and then moving on. That was straight from our CEO Steve Johnson's mouth at a meeting I went to last year.

Expect them to keep the road festival (all elites, women, U23's, juniors, masters) idea together, but in a different part of the country.
YMCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-07, 06:47 AM   #23
Duke of Kent
Senior Member
 
Duke of Kent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Blacksburg, VA
Bikes: Yeti ASRc, Focus Raven 29er, Flyxii FR316
Posts: 4,833
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by YMCA View Post
You guys keep talking about Seven Springs. USAC has a rule about doing Championships for two years in one spot and then moving on. That was straight from our CEO Steve Johnson's mouth at a meeting I went to last year.

Expect them to keep the road festival (all elites, women, U23's, juniors, masters) idea together, but in a different part of the country.

Crossing my fingers for the western suburbs of Chicago...
Duke of Kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-07, 01:37 PM   #24
phlegmon
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 22
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
http://www.usacycling.org/news/user/story.php?id=3339

Orange county. That blows.
phlegmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-07, 03:38 PM   #25
VosBike
Outgunned and outclassed
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: The Springs, CO
Bikes:
Posts: 998
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Orange county. That blows.
just fantastic
VosBike is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:33 AM.