Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1. #1
    enter user title here
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    82
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Cyclocross + Deep rims

    why do people race cross with deep rims?

    I havent raced cross before but it seems that you dont need much of an aero advantage, you want a dependable/durable wheel, and the racing is more hilly than flat or descending.

    whats the advantage over a standard/box rim?

  2. #2
    Aut Vincere Aut Mori Snuffleupagus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Chapel Hill, NC
    My Bikes
    Irish Cycles Tir na Nog, Jack Kane Team Racing, Fuji Aloha 1.0, GT Karakoram, Motobecane Fly Team
    Posts
    4,166
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Because they're sponsored by companies that make deep section carbon rims.

    Because they see the guys sponsored by companies that make deep section carbon rims, and want to be like them.

    Lastly, because they believe it helps to get through deep mud and sand...or so I'm told

  3. #3
    abandoning fly:yes/land:no's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    2,069
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i thought that it was to cut through mud so as not to get bogged down in pits. plus, since a lot of the riding is done without a pack, any aero advantage helps. that being said, i despise cyclocross and would never subject myself to it voluntarily. looks painful. and uncivilizied.

  4. #4
    enter user title here
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    82
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a feeling it had something to do with the sponsored look.

    It always amazes me how nice the bikes are just to crash them and throw them into frozen mud.

  5. #5
    Senior Member Duke of Kent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Upstate NY
    My Bikes
    Focus Raven 29er, Santa Cruz Blur LTc
    Posts
    4,567
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sheds mud much better than a box section rim.

    Marianne Vos was seen riding some CRAZY deep rims, like 85mm rims, in a cross race last winter.

    Sponsors want to get their name out there, but there IS some functionality to them as well.
    "If a non personal post makes you feel as if you've been attacked, maybe the problem IS you."

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    MD
    Posts
    773
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fly:yes/land:no View Post
    that being said, i despise cyclocross and would never subject myself to it voluntarily. looks painful. and uncivilizied.
    I used to think the same thing until I tried it. Now I like it better then road racing and it will get me to race cross country next year. Expand your horizons, dude. Cold and mud is fun.

  7. #7
    Quarq shill cslone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Ohio
    My Bikes
    08 Felt F4, 05 Fuji Team SL, 08 Planet X Stealth, 10 Kona Jake the Snake, 03 Giant OCR flat bar.
    Posts
    3,963
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Weight, and the wheel tends to track better through mud and sand because the rim is never really covered by the obstacle. It just slices through it.
    FS: Fuji SL1 frameset, 55.5cm toptube, excellent condition.

  8. #8
    . botto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    40,275
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fly:yes/land:no View Post
    i thought that it was to cut through mud so as not to get bogged down in pits. plus, since a lot of the riding is done without a pack, any aero advantage helps. that being said, i despise cyclocross and would never subject myself to it voluntarily. looks painful. and uncivilizied.
    yep. too much running.

  9. #9
    enter user title here
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    82
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The slicing through the mud makes sense when you put it that way.

    Then again, I always think of the video of Burghardt's wheel folding under him. Ruts and obstacles can be about as tough as a golden retriever.

  10. #10
    Senior Member Duke of Kent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Upstate NY
    My Bikes
    Focus Raven 29er, Santa Cruz Blur LTc
    Posts
    4,567
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dietzpa View Post
    The slicing through the mud makes sense when you put it that way.

    Then again, I always think of the video of Burghardt's wheel folding under him. Ruts and obstacles can be about as tough as a golden retriever.
    You hit a dog like that with a light aluminum box section tubular rim and that will happen as well. Might not break, but it will be bent to the point of being useless.

    And besides, ruts, roots, etc. are why they use big tires,
    "If a non personal post makes you feel as if you've been attacked, maybe the problem IS you."

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    MD
    Posts
    773
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^^^^

    Yup. In 'cross, if you can't roll over it or jump over it, you're off and running over it... This would include dogs.

  12. #12
    James
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Fairfield County, CT
    My Bikes
    2005 S-Works Roubaix Ultegra
    Posts
    484
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dietzpa View Post
    Then again, I always think of the video of Burghardt's wheel folding under him. Ruts and obstacles can be about as tough as a golden retriever.
    True considering most ruts stand about 18" tall and weigh anywhere from 60 to 100 pounds.

  13. #13
    Quarq shill cslone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Ohio
    My Bikes
    08 Felt F4, 05 Fuji Team SL, 08 Planet X Stealth, 10 Kona Jake the Snake, 03 Giant OCR flat bar.
    Posts
    3,963
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fly:yes/land:no View Post
    i thought that it was to cut through mud so as not to get bogged down in pits. plus, since a lot of the riding is done without a pack, any aero advantage helps. that being said, i despise cyclocross and would never subject myself to it voluntarily. looks painful. and uncivilizied.
    C'mon, you've got to come out to one of the races. It's a blast. I actually had planned on doing no road racing next year, just crits and cross. But they've suckered me into the Tour of Ohio.
    FS: Fuji SL1 frameset, 55.5cm toptube, excellent condition.

  14. #14
    Little Pony obra3's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Salem, OR
    Posts
    667
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yup... uncivilized. Lot's of beer- there was actually free beer at this past Sunday's Cross Crusade.
    King Pony OBRA
    Blog
    Cat XXX Whatever Meter- I'll upgrade myself.

  15. #15
    abandoning fly:yes/land:no's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    2,069
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cslone View Post
    C'mon, you've got to come out to one of the races. It's a blast. I actually had planned on doing no road racing next year, just crits and cross. But they've suckered me into the Tour of Ohio.
    the second most uncivilized form of bike racing: crits.

    i think i am going to stick with road racing and am going to start heading over to major taylor for some track racing next season. i don't think i will do too well on the track based on my scrawniness, but it will be fun. ryan v. (that 6'8" ivan drago character) is trying to get me to go out and watch a cx race hoping that i will someday take part. baahumbug.

    my cyclocross comaptibility: i don't like getting dirty. i don't like being cold. i don't like jamming my manhood on top of a carbon fiber saddle 30 times. i do like running, and i do like biking, but i like to do one or the other, not both at once. i don't like knobby tires. i don't like cantilever brakes.

    but, if i ever do watch one of your races cslone, i will say hey and yell loudly when you roll through the sandtrap portions.

  16. #16
    mountain troll deadly downtube's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    santa cruz mountains
    My Bikes
    the hummer brand mountain bike
    Posts
    1,127
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    deep rims are usually pretty sturdy, no?

  17. #17
    Quarq shill cslone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Ohio
    My Bikes
    08 Felt F4, 05 Fuji Team SL, 08 Planet X Stealth, 10 Kona Jake the Snake, 03 Giant OCR flat bar.
    Posts
    3,963
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fly:yes/land:no View Post
    the second most uncivilized form of bike racing: crits.

    i think i am going to stick with road racing and am going to start heading over to major taylor for some track racing next season. i don't think i will do too well on the track based on my scrawniness, but it will be fun. ryan v. (that 6'8" ivan drago character) is trying to get me to go out and watch a cx race hoping that i will someday take part. baahumbug.

    my cyclocross comaptibility: i don't like getting dirty. i don't like being cold. i don't like jamming my manhood on top of a carbon fiber saddle 30 times. i do like running, and i do like biking, but i like to do one or the other, not both at once. i don't like knobby tires. i don't like cantilever brakes.

    but, if i ever do watch one of your races cslone, i will say hey and yell loudly when you roll through the sandtrap portions.
    Dude, it's SCREAMING and ringing a cowbell when racers go through the sand. Not yelling loudly.

    I've been thinking about track too, since it fits my type a little better. But I just really don't want to drive 2 hours one way every week to race. Which is why I went with cross. I love suffering, I love getting dirty and don't mind running with the bike on my shoulder. But I do hate knobbies and cantis.
    FS: Fuji SL1 frameset, 55.5cm toptube, excellent condition.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •