Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    Yep
    Yep is offline
    no cat contains Yep's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    wintery and elevated
    Posts
    563
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Just scored a PTap...

    ...and I have a few questions

    1. Do you have a helluva time getting the head unit fully clicked into the handlebar mount?

    2. Is it best to set the power average at 10 sec for intervals, so that yout target range is easier to peg?

    3. Could the user interface be any worse?

    4. I'm an idiot I know, but how do you "start" and "stop" the workout?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryanf
    its a start: 1. measure thighs 2. get on bike 3. win
    cat 2 - 1/30

  2. #2
    Quarq shill cslone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Ohio
    My Bikes
    08 Felt F4, 05 Fuji Team SL, 08 Planet X Stealth, 10 Kona Jake the Snake, 03 Giant OCR flat bar.
    Posts
    3,962
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1. No

    2. I personally have mine at 2 seconds because it seems like a good all around number(for sprints or longer workouts)

    3. No problems here

    4. Press a button to wake the unit up, unclick the head unit when you are done. If you have the yellow computer, you can hold "Select" to enter and exit interval mode.
    FS: Fuji SL1 frameset, 55.5cm toptube, excellent condition.

  3. #3
    going roundy round wanders's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    High Point, NC
    Posts
    6,050
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First the new ride and now this? You're really rubbing our nose in it today.

    Enjoy them both.

  4. #4
    Senior Member Bullseye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Boulder, CO
    My Bikes
    Cannondale systemsix, Raleigh Competition '05
    Posts
    498
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yep View Post
    ...and I have a few questions
    3. Could the user interface be any worse?
    Purchase CyclingPeaks WKO+. so worth the money it's not even funny.

    /lame rhymes

    -bullseye

  5. #5
    Peloton Dog patentcad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Chester, NY
    My Bikes
    2013 Scott Foil, 2009 Scott Addict R2, 2008 Cervelo P3 TT bike, 2008 Motobecane Fly Ti Hard Tail MTB
    Posts
    56,109
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yep View Post
    ...and I have a few questions

    1. Do you have a helluva time getting the head unit fully clicked into the handlebar mount?

    2. Is it best to set the power average at 10 sec for intervals, so that yout target range is easier to peg?

    3. Could the user interface be any worse?

    4.
    I'm an idiot I know, but how do you "start" and "stop" the workout?
    The Pcad Cycling Zen is strong in you young Pcadette.


  6. #6
    Yep
    Yep is offline
    no cat contains Yep's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    wintery and elevated
    Posts
    563
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wanders View Post
    First the new ride and now this? You're really rubbing our nose in it today.

    Enjoy them both.
    In spite of the fact that both Napoleon and Hitler failed, I've decided to launch my own winter offensive, albeit a schwag offensive. So far, so good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryanf
    its a start: 1. measure thighs 2. get on bike 3. win
    cat 2 - 1/30

  7. #7
    Compressed
    Guest
    Head unit should slide right into the bar mount...


    One thing I'd recommend is to just go out and ride your bike and watch wattage when you can. Don't go out and start to do intervals right away. I think it's worthwhile to get a feel of how variable your output is before you start putting structure around everything.

    The other thing is, go buy the book if you haven't already done so. Read, learn and apply. If you're dedicated and you have the time to devote you just might find step 3 in your sig occuring more often than you think possible.

  8. #8
    Yep
    Yep is offline
    no cat contains Yep's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    wintery and elevated
    Posts
    563
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Compressed View Post
    Head unit should slide right into the bar mount...


    One thing I'd recommend is to just go out and ride your bike and watch wattage when you can. Don't go out and start to do intervals right away. I think it's worthwhile to get a feel of how variable your output is before you start putting structure around everything.

    The other thing is, go buy the book if you haven't already done so. Read, learn and apply. If you're dedicated and you have the time to devote you just might find step 3 in your sig occuring more often than you think possible.
    Oh, I'm dedicated like a motherf*cker. My genes on the other hand...

    I've got T.W.P, but I don't think it addresses these specific questions. Flame me if I'm wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryanf
    its a start: 1. measure thighs 2. get on bike 3. win
    cat 2 - 1/30

  9. #9
    Peloton Dog patentcad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Chester, NY
    My Bikes
    2013 Scott Foil, 2009 Scott Addict R2, 2008 Cervelo P3 TT bike, 2008 Motobecane Fly Ti Hard Tail MTB
    Posts
    56,109
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yep View Post
    In spite of the fact that both Napoleon and Hitler failed, I've decided to launch my own winter offensive, albeit a schwag offensive. So far, so good.
    The first winter snows have barely tickled Mt. Cad my little weenie. The Steppes of Schwag have destroyed bigger OCP's than you. The picture of you freezing to death in 3' of snow surrounded by Zipp Wheels, TT bikes, Power Taps and frozen EPO syringes is tragic, yet oddly compelling. Ask DocRay. He appears to be mired in a frozen cultural and intellectual wasteland surrounded by thousands of square miles (kilometers in his case) of frozen tundra with nothing to comfort him but silly bike gear. Your big advantage is that you'll probably ride your stuff.

  10. #10
    Compressed
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Yep View Post
    Oh, I'm dedicated like a motherf*cker. My genes on the other hand...

    I've got T.W.P, but I don't think it addresses these specific questions. Flame me if I'm wrong.


    I wasn't flaming you dude. The suggestion to buy The Book was for the training and interpretation info within...

  11. #11
    Yep
    Yep is offline
    no cat contains Yep's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    wintery and elevated
    Posts
    563
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Compressed View Post
    I wasn't flaming you dude. The suggestion to buy The Book was for the training and interpretation info within...
    Sorry, I just meant that I didn't see where they really got into the particulars of the PT in the book, but if I'd missed it, I was willing to take the heat.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryanf
    its a start: 1. measure thighs 2. get on bike 3. win
    cat 2 - 1/30

  12. #12
    部門ニ/自転車オタク NomadVW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Yuma, AZ
    My Bikes
    2005 Specialized Roubaix Elite, 2005 Specialized FSR XC Comp, 2008 Blue T16, 2009 Blue RC8, Fetish Cycles Road Bike
    Posts
    3,172
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yep View Post
    ...and I have a few questions

    1. Do you have a helluva time getting the head unit fully clicked into the handlebar mount?

    2. Is it best to set the power average at 10 sec for intervals, so that yout target range is easier to peg?

    3. Could the user interface be any worse?

    4. I'm an idiot I know, but how do you "start" and "stop" the workout?
    1. My newer 2.4 CPU fits more snugly, for sure.

    2. Mine is set to 3 seconds, works fine for me.

    3. CPU interface, I assume? The only thing I hate is the fact that the "Clear" combination of buttons is the same combination of buttons that serves other functions. But I don't muck with it much anymore while I'm riding. However I set it up when I leave the house is the way it stays, usually.

    4. Start = Turn pedals over with feet clipped in. Stop = Get off bike. If you mean starting intervals, and marking their finish, just "tap" both buttons at the same time.

    To view only the current interval's information (avg's/max's) - hold the "Mode" key down until you see the interval number on the left hand side.

    To review intervals on the CPU, tap the Mode button until the interval number is flashing. Then hold down the select button until an "M" appears next to the number. Then you can press the "select" button to cycle through the marked intervals while the interval number is flashing. Just pick the interval you want to review, click the mode button until you get to the stat you want to review (eg. avg watts, or HR, or whatever). Lately I don't even bother with this during the ride. Just ride, and review that crud later. Takes the paralysis by analysis out while you're riding.

    Also... take some time to ride without analyzing much of anything. Ride like you normally have for a couple weeks until you get used to seeing the thing there in front of you. Then you can have an idea of pacing/testing when you want to test for FTP/MAP or whatever.
    Envision, Energize, Enable

  13. #13
    this portrait of karma transplant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    chicago
    Posts
    1,238
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1. it was a snug fit, definitely

    2. i just got my pt about a month ago and have it set to three seconds. mostly personal preference

    3. it's far from perfect, but i can imagine slipping a couple rings further into cyclecomputer hell

    4. don't need to do it manually.

  14. #14
    Eternal Cat3 Rookie branman1986's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    My Bikes
    2004 Giant TCR2 Composite & 2006 Fuji Touring
    Posts
    1,169
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    2. 2 or 3 seconds is good...don't use 1, it's way too noisy.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •