Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-28-07, 05:37 PM   #1
patentcad
Peloton Dog
Thread Starter
 
patentcad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Chester, NY
Bikes: 2013 Scott Foil, 2014 Scott Addict, 2008 Cervelo P3 (TT), 2015 Scott Scale 700SL MTB
Posts: 59,454
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Do you shift?

Not if you're a real man. You're riding a fixie now.

Pcad is Wussy. He has a derailleur on his bicycle.
patentcad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-07, 05:42 PM   #2
Yoshi
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Bikes:
Posts: 2,544
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Real men ride unicycles.
Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-07, 05:53 PM   #3
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense
 
TheKillerPenguin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Vagabond
Bikes: Affirmative
Posts: 12,308
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
shift happens.
TheKillerPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-07, 05:55 PM   #4
'nother
semifreddo amartuerer
 
'nother's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Northern CA
Bikes: several
Posts: 4,599
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoshi View Post
Real men ride unicycles.
Yeah, but real real men ride unicycles, on rollers, while playing Wii tennis, right?
'nother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-07, 05:58 PM   #5
patentcad
Peloton Dog
Thread Starter
 
patentcad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Chester, NY
Bikes: 2013 Scott Foil, 2014 Scott Addict, 2008 Cervelo P3 (TT), 2015 Scott Scale 700SL MTB
Posts: 59,454
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoshi View Post
Real men ride unicycles.
Fixed.
patentcad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-07, 06:01 PM   #6
zonatandem
Senior Member
 
zonatandem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Tucson, AZ
Bikes: Custom Zona c/f tandem + Scott Plasma single
Posts: 10,858
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Yo kidz: You tellin' me I'm not a real man?
At age 75, got in over a quarter million miles on bicycles . . . anything from 3 to 27-speeds.
So how many miles you got in, sonny???
zonatandem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-07, 06:06 PM   #7
patentcad
Peloton Dog
Thread Starter
 
patentcad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Chester, NY
Bikes: 2013 Scott Foil, 2014 Scott Addict, 2008 Cervelo P3 (TT), 2015 Scott Scale 700SL MTB
Posts: 59,454
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zonatandem View Post
Yo kidz: You tellin' me I'm not a real man?
At age 75, got in over a quarter million miles on bicycles . . . anything from 3 to 27-speeds.
So how many miles you got in, sonny???
Nothing is quite as gratifying for Pcad as somebody who claims to be older than him on these boards. That ROCKS. How many miles do I have in? Over 100K pops. I'm quite confident that I will be flattened by a motor vehicle long before I hit 250K. Hopefully.

By the way, I typically don't try to tell somebody 75+ anything. I'm really not sure if they're going to hear me anyway. Forgive me if I bust balls on age, I may not get this chance again for a very long time.
patentcad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-07, 06:13 PM   #8
'nother
semifreddo amartuerer
 
'nother's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Northern CA
Bikes: several
Posts: 4,599
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
"what?"
'nother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-07, 07:19 PM   #9
waterrockets 
Making a kilometer blurry
 
waterrockets's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Austin (near TX)
Bikes: rkwaki's porn collection
Posts: 26,130
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by patentcad View Post
Nothing is quite as gratifying for Pcad as somebody who claims to be older than him on these boards. That ROCKS. How many miles do I have in? Over 100K pops. I'm quite confident that I will be flattened by a motor vehicle long before I hit 250K. Hopefully.

By the way, I typically don't try to tell somebody 75+ anything. I'm really not sure if they're going to hear me anyway. Forgive me if I bust balls on age, I may not get this chance again for a very long time.
Yeah, I've got about 150K at this point, but I'm not piling them on as fast as I used to

I don't shift on my single speed, but I only ride it once/week, on the days when I'm a real man
waterrockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-07, 09:10 PM   #10
carpediemracing
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Tariffville, CT
Bikes: Tsunami Bikes
Posts: 14,571
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Shift This

Or Here.

*edit* Check out The Run. I haven't watched it in a while but it has a Bourne type feel to it. Only disappointment is no heel-toe in the hairpin.

Doh it just ended. It's only the first bit. *end edit*

I thought you bought a car. lol.

I'm way below 100k. I hit 10k in one year only once. This year is like 2.5k, most of it before March. Sad.

cdr
__________________
"...during the Lance years, being fit became the No. 1 thing. Totally the only thing. It’s a big part of what we do, but fitness is not the only thing. There’s skills, there’s tactics … there’s all kinds of stuff..." Tim Johnson

Last edited by carpediemracing; 11-28-07 at 09:13 PM. Reason: add comment
carpediemracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-07, 10:05 PM   #11
ronbridal
Senior Member
 
ronbridal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Illinois
Bikes:
Posts: 524
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Real men are still racing . . . cyclocross.
ronbridal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-07, 10:11 PM   #12
'nother
semifreddo amartuerer
 
'nother's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Northern CA
Bikes: several
Posts: 4,599
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronbridal View Post
Real men are still racing . . . cyclocross . . . singlespeed
fixed
'nother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-07, 10:15 PM   #13
urbanknight
In beaurocratic limbo
 
urbanknight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Bikes: Specialized Allez, K2 Razorback
Posts: 22,456
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 'nother View Post
Yeah, but real real men ride unicycles, on rollers, while playing Wii tennis, right?
I'm sure we'll actually see that on youtube some day.
__________________
"Well, I guess you can cut the arts as much as you want... Sooner or later, these kids aren't going to have anything to read or write about." (Richard Dreyfus as Glenn Holland)
urbanknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-07, 10:15 PM   #14
ronbridal
Senior Member
 
ronbridal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Illinois
Bikes:
Posts: 524
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 'nother View Post
fixed
fixed speed comes after race season, not during it for me
ronbridal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-07, 10:16 PM   #15
'nother
semifreddo amartuerer
 
'nother's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Northern CA
Bikes: several
Posts: 4,599
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronbridal View Post
fixed speed comes after race season, not during it for me
Ha ha. Now *that* would be a real man (racing CX fixed).
'nother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-07, 10:18 PM   #16
ronbridal
Senior Member
 
ronbridal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Illinois
Bikes:
Posts: 524
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 'nother View Post
Ha ha. Now *that* would be a real man (racing CX fixed).
I would like to see it though
ronbridal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-07, 10:19 PM   #17
'nother
semifreddo amartuerer
 
'nother's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Northern CA
Bikes: several
Posts: 4,599
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronbridal View Post
I would like to see it though
Maybe we'll see *that* on YouTube someday, too. We can only hope.
'nother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-07, 10:28 PM   #18
carlfreddy
Acquiring new target....
 
carlfreddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: St. Louis, MO
Bikes: Trek XO-1, Gary Fisher Rig
Posts: 1,276
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by carpediemracing View Post
Shift This

Or Here.

*edit* Check out The Run. I haven't watched it in a while but it has a Bourne type feel to it. Only disappointment is no heel-toe in the hairpin.

Doh it just ended. It's only the first bit. *end edit*

I thought you bought a car. lol.

I'm way below 100k. I hit 10k in one year only once. This year is like 2.5k, most of it before March. Sad.

cdr
Damn, those are full-size videos! Where'd you find that gem of a link??

I love me some Nissan. Grew up pretending to be Paul Newman in my pops Datsun racecar (SCCA D-Prod).
carlfreddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-07, 07:42 AM   #19
carpediemracing
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Tariffville, CT
Bikes: Tsunami Bikes
Posts: 14,571
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlfreddy View Post
Damn, those are full-size videos! Where'd you find that gem of a link??

I love me some Nissan. Grew up pretending to be Paul Newman in my pops Datsun racecar (SCCA D-Prod).
I forget how I got it. I was looking around for vids and stuff for Nissan.

If car racing weren't so expensive I'd probably be racing cars. As it is I live for empty and poorly designed (i.e. low speed limit) entrance/exit ramps, any excuse to heel/toe (parking the car, exit ramps, turns, etc), and good lines through turns no matter what speed. And the occasional free/cheap autocross. And I tell all my family members that going +0 really is a better size tire and they really do want HPS or EBC pads. lol. Even my wife is on more squared off tires and HPS/Brembos on her otherwise stock civic.

And she's getting Koni Yellows

cdr
__________________
"...during the Lance years, being fit became the No. 1 thing. Totally the only thing. It’s a big part of what we do, but fitness is not the only thing. There’s skills, there’s tactics … there’s all kinds of stuff..." Tim Johnson
carpediemracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-07, 08:01 AM   #20
waterrockets 
Making a kilometer blurry
 
waterrockets's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Austin (near TX)
Bikes: rkwaki's porn collection
Posts: 26,130
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by carpediemracing View Post
As it is I live for empty and poorly designed (i.e. low speed limit) entrance/exit ramps, any excuse to heel/toe (parking the car, exit ramps, turns, etc), and good lines through turns no matter what speed.
Man, we should carpool. Exactly how I drive. Lately I've been enjoying cornering at 5k rpm, at the traction limit, and suddenly lifting off the accelerator to oversteer the rest of the turn. Yum.

<love Nissans, but I'm in a TSX right now -- incredible value, IMO>
waterrockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-07, 09:41 AM   #21
bitterken
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: MD
Bikes:
Posts: 773
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have two more weeks of 'cross left, and it'll be fixed-gear on the road and single-speed mtb offroad.

But I have to wonder how much training benefit either really offers. My cross bike with touring or studded tires and fenders seem like a better winter bike set up. And while the fixed keeps your legs spinning (and there by keeping you warm), I'm not really buying the perfect spin thing (since the flywheel effect will get you through the dead spots.) But I figure you can keep your own legs spinning, and by shifting in to a bigger gear, you can get a better resistance workout to boot.
bitterken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-07, 09:45 AM   #22
Compressed
Guest
 
Bikes:
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by patentcad View Post
Not if you're a real man. You're riding Powercranks now.

f1x0r3d
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-07, 10:19 AM   #23
patentcad
Peloton Dog
Thread Starter
 
patentcad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Chester, NY
Bikes: 2013 Scott Foil, 2014 Scott Addict, 2008 Cervelo P3 (TT), 2015 Scott Scale 700SL MTB
Posts: 59,454
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
If any of you had one hair on your bike racer balls you'd be riding a Powercrank Fixie from now until February. You Wussies.

I ride behind a guy who rides those Powercranks in the winter on some weekends. It's like watching QB Joe Thiesmann's leg break over and over again (infamous brutal NFL film clip from about 15 years ago). I try not to look.
patentcad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-07, 10:21 AM   #24
San Rensho 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 5,546
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bitterken View Post
I have two more weeks of 'cross left, and it'll be fixed-gear on the road and single-speed mtb offroad.

But I have to wonder how much training benefit either really offers. My cross bike with touring or studded tires and fenders seem like a better winter bike set up. And while the fixed keeps your legs spinning (and there by keeping you warm), I'm not really buying the perfect spin thing (since the flywheel effect will get you through the dead spots.) But I figure you can keep your own legs spinning, and by shifting in to a bigger gear, you can get a better resistance workout to boot.
Fixed gear is a bike that you ride in the wrong gear 95% of the time

Fixed riding does have its place. A lot of riders do some early season LSD on a fixie in a small gear, never getting out of the saddle and just spinning the whole time, up steep hills, on downhills. And riding the track is a great complement for criterium racers sprinting skills.
__________________
Il faut de l'audace, encore de l'audace, toujours de l'audace

1980 3Rensho-- 1975 Raleigh Sprite 3spd
1990s Raleigh M20 MTB--2007 Windsor Hour (track)
1988 Ducati 750 F1
San Rensho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-07, 10:21 AM   #25
'nother
semifreddo amartuerer
 
'nother's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Northern CA
Bikes: several
Posts: 4,599
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bitterken View Post
I'm not really buying the perfect spin thing (since the flywheel effect will get you through the dead spots.)
U-oh. Is that the sound of sleeping giants awakening that I hear in the distance?
'nother is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:37 AM.