Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-03-08, 04:54 PM   #1
chinotex
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
chinotex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Houston, TX
Bikes: 2007 Trek 1500
Posts: 663
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My first race report: tour of New Braunfels, TX

I finished, and I finished not-last. FTW.


I'll raise the bar a little next time.
chinotex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-08, 05:00 PM   #2
mike9903
Senior Member
 
mike9903's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Bikes: 09 Orbea Orca
Posts: 1,465
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Way to go, you could not of asked for a better day for racing, well I guess you could of taken away the wind. I was in the 4's and finished with the 2nd group, I was also driving the follow car for the P,1,2,3 race, so I am sure that I passed you at some point, I was in the Gray VW.
mike9903 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-08, 05:06 PM   #3
chinotex
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
chinotex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Houston, TX
Bikes: 2007 Trek 1500
Posts: 663
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I stuck with the pack up until we got to the chip-sealed road during the first lap, got caught inside the corner and lost all my speed, and then they just took off, since the wind wasn't in our faces any more. It was a good fun challenge, and I'll definitely race again. The competitiveness will definitely drive me to work harder... I've plateaued a bit recently.
chinotex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-08, 07:57 PM   #4
UT_Dude
Texas Fight!
 
UT_Dude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Austin, TX
Bikes:
Posts: 2,023
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What cat were you in? 5a or 5b? I was the guy in the Texas shirt in the feed zone talking crap the whole time. It was great... The course, not so much.
__________________
T E X A S F I G H T !
http://www.chriscollins.org
UT_Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-08, 08:27 PM   #5
chinotex
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
chinotex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Houston, TX
Bikes: 2007 Trek 1500
Posts: 663
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
5A... I just saw they updated the results, and I finished 35 out of 37 (the starting field was 50), so I'm very happy with how I did...

The folks in the feed zone were pretty encouraging... although I think on one lap I almost ran over the girl in the Texas t-shirt with her arm in a sling while she was crossing the street.
chinotex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-08, 09:27 PM   #6
UT_Dude
Texas Fight!
 
UT_Dude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Austin, TX
Bikes:
Posts: 2,023
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Haha, she was helping me out with feeds. Glad to hear you enjoyed the race!
__________________
T E X A S F I G H T !
http://www.chriscollins.org
UT_Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-08, 11:08 PM   #7
Racer Ex 
Resident Alien
 
Racer Ex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Location, location.
Bikes:
Posts: 12,629
Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Who was the guy out there in the "Unattached" kit spectating?

I actually yelled at him (you?) went I went by.

Last edited by Racer Ex; 02-03-08 at 11:28 PM.
Racer Ex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-08, 06:14 AM   #8
dave99ag
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: College Station, TX
Bikes: KirkLee, Orbea Orca, Surly Steamroller
Posts: 178
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Glad you enjoyed yourself. I finally got popped on the 3rd lap when we turned into the headwind section. I chased for awhile, but lost ground on the one major hill we had. I so wanted to latch onto the 123s when they came by on the rocky-road section. Was wearing the white A&M kit, btw.

UT Dude, I think I actually heard mention "not dealing with the Aggies" in the parking lot. Should have wandered over and introduced myself. Is there even an official schedule out? I never saw an e-mail on the conference list. I see definite needs of improvement in communication within the conference.
dave99ag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-08, 06:58 AM   #9
UT_Dude
Texas Fight!
 
UT_Dude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Austin, TX
Bikes:
Posts: 2,023
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer Ex View Post
Who was the guy out there in the "Unattached" kit spectating?

I actually yelled at him (you?) went I went by.
YOU were there??? Should have PMed me and said hi! But yeah, I was wondering who the Unattached guy was. I yelled 'nice kit' at him as I rode by once...
__________________
T E X A S F I G H T !
http://www.chriscollins.org
UT_Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-08, 07:01 AM   #10
UT_Dude
Texas Fight!
 
UT_Dude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Austin, TX
Bikes:
Posts: 2,023
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm grouchy with your team because they wouldn't tell me which day Tunis was on (it was Sunday last year, but it's Spring Break this year, so yeah...). Thus, I had to bust out a borderline rude email to the SCCCCCCC listserv, and, yeah, I'm grouchy with your team (and school after that basketball game, but that's another story) after that.

Jacque doesn't send stuff out on the conference listserv, she sends it to her list of Presidents/officers that she knows of. Kind of weird. But, because you asked...

Mar 8 - Tunis-Roubaix
Mar 29-30 - UT/St. Ed's Race Weekend
Apr 19-20 - Texas State Race Weekend
Apr 26-27 - Conference Champs (MSU)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave99ag View Post
Glad you enjoyed yourself. I finally got popped on the 3rd lap when we turned into the headwind section. I chased for awhile, but lost ground on the one major hill we had. I so wanted to latch onto the 123s when they came by on the rocky-road section. Was wearing the white A&M kit, btw.

UT Dude, I think I actually heard mention "not dealing with the Aggies" in the parking lot. Should have wandered over and introduced myself. Is there even an official schedule out? I never saw an e-mail on the conference list. I see definite needs of improvement in communication within the conference.
__________________
T E X A S F I G H T !
http://www.chriscollins.org
UT_Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-08, 08:40 AM   #11
Racer Ex 
Resident Alien
 
Racer Ex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Location, location.
Bikes:
Posts: 12,629
Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by UT_Dude View Post
YOU were there??? Should have PMed me and said hi! But yeah, I was wondering who the Unattached guy was. I yelled 'nice kit' at him as I rode by once...
Well, a shadow of me was. Spent two glorious days of getting pounded by the guys in the pink kits in the 40+. Other than ring rust and bad form, it went just peachy. I hadn't planned on racing this early and it's making me grouchy and looking at alternative sports like frisbee, er, I mean disc golf.
Racer Ex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-08, 08:48 AM   #12
jrennie
Race to train
 
jrennie's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: suffering on the back
Bikes:
Posts: 3,115
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yeah that looks tough.
jrennie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-08, 08:55 AM   #13
dave99ag
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: College Station, TX
Bikes: KirkLee, Orbea Orca, Surly Steamroller
Posts: 178
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by UT_Dude View Post
Jacque doesn't send stuff out on the conference listserv, she sends it to her list of Presidents/officers that she knows of. Kind of weird. But, because you asked...

Mar 8 - Tunis-Roubaix
Mar 29-30 - UT/St. Ed's Race Weekend
Apr 19-20 - Texas State Race Weekend
Apr 26-27 - Conference Champs (MSU)
Thanks for the info. Why in the world doesn't she send info out to the list? That's the entire point of the list... to pass the word on to everyone. I'm almost considering calling her out on that, but I'm not in an official status anymore to do that. I'm just an old AMCT prez that helps out with the team.
dave99ag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-08, 09:03 AM   #14
UT_Dude
Texas Fight!
 
UT_Dude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Austin, TX
Bikes:
Posts: 2,023
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave99ag View Post
Thanks for the info. Why in the world doesn't she send info out to the list? That's the entire point of the list... to pass the word on to everyone. I'm almost considering calling her out on that, but I'm not in an official status anymore to do that. I'm just an old AMCT prez that helps out with the team.
Oh, I think I know who you are now
__________________
T E X A S F I G H T !
http://www.chriscollins.org
UT_Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-08, 09:04 AM   #15
UT_Dude
Texas Fight!
 
UT_Dude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Austin, TX
Bikes:
Posts: 2,023
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer Ex View Post
Well, a shadow of me was. Spent two glorious days of getting pounded by the guys in the pink kits in the 40+. Other than ring rust and bad form, it went just peachy. I hadn't planned on racing this early and it's making me grouchy and looking at alternative sports like frisbee, er, I mean disc golf.
Who was in Pink? Velossimo sold out to Jack and Adams....
__________________
T E X A S F I G H T !
http://www.chriscollins.org
UT_Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-08, 09:09 AM   #16
Racer Ex 
Resident Alien
 
Racer Ex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Location, location.
Bikes:
Posts: 12,629
Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by UT_Dude View Post
Who was in Pink? Velossimo sold out to Jack and Adams....
Geri Atrix. Sladek and his folks.
Racer Ex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-08, 09:33 AM   #17
dave99ag
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: College Station, TX
Bikes: KirkLee, Orbea Orca, Surly Steamroller
Posts: 178
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by UT_Dude View Post
Oh, I think I know who you are now
Hehe, yeah, it's not that hard to figure out who I am.
dave99ag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-08, 09:34 AM   #18
waterrockets 
Making a kilometer blurry
 
waterrockets's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Austin (near TX)
Bikes: rkwaki's porn collection
Posts: 26,130
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer Ex View Post
Geri Atrix. Sladek and his folks.
Yeah, I'm on the lookout for them in the 35+ at Pace Bend. College is riding really strong too. WTF am I gonna do?
waterrockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-08, 09:45 AM   #19
UT_Dude
Texas Fight!
 
UT_Dude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Austin, TX
Bikes:
Posts: 2,023
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterrockets View Post
Yeah, I'm on the lookout for them in the 35+ at Pace Bend. College is riding really strong too. WTF am I gonna do?
Beat him? He wins everything.
__________________
T E X A S F I G H T !
http://www.chriscollins.org
UT_Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-08, 09:46 AM   #20
UT_Dude
Texas Fight!
 
UT_Dude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Austin, TX
Bikes:
Posts: 2,023
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer Ex View Post
Geri Atrix. Sladek and his folks.
Ah. Should've raced the P123 field! Then, I could've heckled you as well! I was racing in the morning, so didn't get to yell at those fields
__________________
T E X A S F I G H T !
http://www.chriscollins.org
UT_Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-08, 10:38 AM   #21
Racer Ex 
Resident Alien
 
Racer Ex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Location, location.
Bikes:
Posts: 12,629
Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by UT_Dude View Post
Beat him? He wins everything.
He got second in my race Saturday...

Quote:
Originally Posted by UT_Dude View Post
Ah. Should've raced the P123 field! Then, I could've heckled you as well! I was racing in the morning, so didn't get to yell at those fields
I'll probably start jumping in on those here soon. If you're going to suck, you might as well suck mighty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterrockets View Post
Yeah, I'm on the lookout for them in the 35+ at Pace Bend. College is riding really strong too. WTF am I gonna do?
Well, if this weekend is an indicator just wait out the first 20 attacks then jump in the one I finally let go.

Pretty simple formula actually.
Racer Ex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-08, 10:50 AM   #22
El Texican
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 62
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was sitting on the side of the road near the start line so I didn't see the finish in the 40+ race but I saw them as hey were making the left turn after the sprint. I saw "college" yelling and who I presume was the winner - he sounded like a prick.
El Texican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-08, 10:52 AM   #23
jrennie
Race to train
 
jrennie's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: suffering on the back
Bikes:
Posts: 3,115
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Isnt that how it always goes.
If N is the attacks you cover, then N+1 is the attack that gets clear. Or vice versa if N is the attacks you make N+1 is the attacks needed to stay away.
jrennie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-08, 11:04 AM   #24
waterrockets 
Making a kilometer blurry
 
waterrockets's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Austin (near TX)
Bikes: rkwaki's porn collection
Posts: 26,130
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer Ex View Post
He got second in my race Saturday...

I'll probably start jumping in on those here soon. If you're going to suck, you might as well suck mighty.



Well, if this weekend is an indicator just wait out the first 20 attacks then jump in the one I finally let go.

Pretty simple formula actually.
Sounds about right. I'm more concerned about the decision to stay or go than anything else in these races. I'm just going to glue myself to College -- at least watch him (I can catch him when he goes, I just need to see it and be available). Then it's just a matter of survival for me. Geri-atrix and OKC Velo are also good to watch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Texican View Post
I was sitting on the side of the road near the start line so I didn't see the finish in the 40+ race but I saw them as hey were making the left turn after the sprint. I saw "college" yelling and who I presume was the winner - he sounded like a prick.
Yeah, you hear that now and then
waterrockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-08, 11:05 AM   #25
dave99ag
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: College Station, TX
Bikes: KirkLee, Orbea Orca, Surly Steamroller
Posts: 178
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
How'd the 4s go? We were getting ready before they came in.

The best quote of the day came from a P12 rider. Official asks him if he's done and he responds with, "You see that mushroom cloud back there? Yeah, I'm done."
dave99ag is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:50 PM.