Two Training Questions
Just some quick ones for you fellow forum members...
1) Does anyone use their power meter to pace how much they eat during a ride (the KJ/Calorie indicator thing), like a bar every 800 calories or a gel every 400 or something. Or do most of you just take the 1 gel/xx Minutes mantra that is on most energy fuel?
2) Pacing on longer (3+ hour rides), lets say you're looking to do 3 hours of Endurance Miles or something, do you start out below what you want your average to be and work up as the workout goes on (like pacing for a 40 km TT), start at the average and just hold it steady the hold time, or start harder and fade a little bit as the ride goes on (ala Waterrocket's pacing for a 1 minute max effort but much longer of course with no 1200 w sprint )?
Thanks for your help,
hey Kris, how's that Powertap of mine holding up?
1) I just eat when I feel like it.
2) I focus on my intensity factor (IF) during a long ride. Ergomo calculates and displays this; other PM's don't. In that case, if you're looking to do 3 hours within a range of XX-YY watts, then just keep your average within that range.
"When you are chewing the bars at the business end of a 90 mile road race you really dont care what gear you have hanging from your bike so long as it works."
- 15% off your first Hammer Nutrition order!
Powertap's holding up fine thanks .
Ya I guess I can't really see the IF too much, I personally go into workouts a bit low and then scale up to then end like a TT and find it works well, it sort of pushes the average up by the end.
With my eating I find I just forget to eat or don't know when to eat enough as on some rides I will definitely run into a bit of a deficit. Hence wondering a good pattern to get into, I guess I'll just eat every 30-40 like on the packaging.