Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-23-08, 06:49 PM   #1
kensuf
My idea of fun
Thread Starter
 
kensuf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Gainesville, FL
Bikes: '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '02 Kona Lavadome, '07 Giant TCR Advanced, '07 Karate Monkey
Posts: 9,804
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Sanford crit

I raced today.

With 15 minutes to go I jumped up to the front and shattered some legs and reminded people we're there to race, not just go for a ride. After a 2-3 lap attack I dropped back 8-9 deep to sit in until the last few laps.

With 5 laps to go I was crashed out. A little road rash, but I'm otherwise OK. Now I'll go look at the bike to make sure it's good to go tomorrow.

A friend won. A teammate got 5th.
kensuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-08, 07:19 PM   #2
Orlando25
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Bikes:
Posts: 30
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kensuf View Post
I raced today.

With 15 minutes to go I jumped up to the front and shattered some legs and reminded people we're there to race, not just go for a ride. After a 2-3 lap attack I dropped back 8-9 deep to sit in until the last few laps.

With 5 laps to go I was crashed out. A little road rash, but I'm otherwise OK. Now I'll go look at the bike to make sure it's good to go tomorrow.

A friend won. A teammate got 5th.
glad your ok...congrats to your friend...i was gunna goto that race with my girlfriend, but she just had surgery and wasnt quite down yet....maybe tomorrow....how was the turnout there? im from apopka, just 15 minutes from sanford/lake mary
Orlando25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-08, 07:43 PM   #3
Bobby Lex
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 1,616
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It was a crashfest all day long. 6 corners, pouring rain, strong winds, lots of pave, DOT bots, and painted lines made for a very technical race. I saw at least 2 racers transported to the the hospital by ambulance, and it wasn't even 10:30 a.m. yet.

OTOH tomorrow's race at Lake Mary should be great. 3-corner course, fresh asphalt, dry, no wind.

Bob
Bobby Lex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-08, 09:40 PM   #4
Orlando25
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Bikes:
Posts: 30
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Lex View Post
It was a crashfest all day long. 6 corners, pouring rain, strong winds, lots of pave, DOT bots, and painted lines made for a very technical race. I saw at least 2 racers transported to the the hospital by ambulance, and it wasn't even 10:30 a.m. yet.

OTOH tomorrow's race at Lake Mary should be great. 3-corner course, fresh asphalt, dry, no wind.

Bob
holy crap...maybe ill check tomorrows...weather permitting.
Orlando25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-08, 10:04 PM   #5
GatorFL
I miss my bike.
 
GatorFL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Jax, FL
Bikes: Ridley Excalibur, S-Works Transition
Posts: 408
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I crashed out of that one last year, too. And the one the next day in Lake Mary. Rough weekend. Hope your Sunday goes better.
GatorFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-08, 05:52 PM   #6
mikearena
Glorified Blender
 
mikearena's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Arlington, VA
Bikes:
Posts: 686
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kensuf View Post
With 5 laps to go I was crashed out. A little road rash, but I'm otherwise OK. Now I'll go look at the bike to make sure it's good to go tomorrow.

A friend won. A teammate got 5th.
I was just looking through the results wondering why I didn't see your name. I hope you and the bike are doing alright, and had a good race today.

I can't believe Ben took it again.

Today's update?
mikearena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-08, 06:14 PM   #7
substructure
RustyTainte
 
substructure's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: 28012
Bikes: zilch
Posts: 12,343
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Sorry to hear, bro.

I was almost crashed out by a massive sketchy field. I used elbows and words to keep them off. Scared the crap out of me though.

Unfortunately two, very, small juniors went down in their race today. One went to the ER. Poor kid - very young.
substructure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-08, 06:57 PM   #8
kensuf
My idea of fun
Thread Starter
 
kensuf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Gainesville, FL
Bikes: '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '02 Kona Lavadome, '07 Giant TCR Advanced, '07 Karate Monkey
Posts: 9,804
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikearena View Post
I was just looking through the results wondering why I didn't see your name. I hope you and the bike are doing alright, and had a good race today.

I can't believe Ben took it again.

Today's update?
Todays race was really sketchy -- which was a surprise given how sweet the course is. One dude was a human ping-pong ball and bounced off of several people because he had no idea how to hold a line..

With 5 minutes and 5 laps to go, I took a solo flier with the idea of TT'ing for 10 minutes to the win. I held them off for 2 laps and was just settling down into "hold them off and TT mode" when the officials announced a prime, which meant I had to work a little harder. I took the prime on my 3rd lap off the front, but then was caught 1/2 lap later. With 3 1/2 laps to go I launched off and got away again, but this time the ORC gang realized what I was doing and shut me down by the time we got back to the finish line. With two laps to go the field got incredibly sketchy and I decided to just sit up and take a pack finish rather than getting more road rash (hey I have to work tomorrow).

End result for ken, pack finish plus a big jug of powerbar endurance sports drink, but I went out swinging.

Snap did pretty well, he launched his own solo bid and tried to get some glory.

Ole Benjie had to settle for 2nd place today. The officials started making some comments about how Jimmie and Ben Page (who aren't related BTW) keep getting the podium spots -- I suspect Ben'll be in the 3s next weekend.
kensuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-08, 07:20 PM   #9
Snap
old & slow
 
Snap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Fleming Island, FL
Bikes:
Posts: 269
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kensuf View Post
Todays race was really sketchy -- which was a surprise given how sweet the course is. One dude was a human ping-pong ball and bounced off of several people because he had no idea how to hold a line..

With 5 minutes and 5 laps to go, I took a solo flier with the idea of TT'ing for 10 minutes to the win. I held them off for 2 laps and was just settling down into "hold them off and TT mode" when the officials announced a prime, which meant I had to work a little harder. I took the prime on my 3rd lap off the front, but then was caught 1/2 lap later. With 3 1/2 laps to go I launched off and got away again, but this time the ORC gang realized what I was doing and shut me down by the time we got back to the finish line. With two laps to go the field got incredibly sketchy and I decided to just sit up and take a pack finish rather than getting more road rash (hey I have to work tomorrow).

End result for ken, pack finish plus a big jug of powerbar endurance sports drink, but I went out swinging.

Snap did pretty well, he launched his own solo bid and tried to get some glory.

Ole Benjie had to settle for 2nd place today. The officials started making some comments about how Jimmie and Ben Page (who aren't related BTW) keep getting the podium spots -- I suspect Ben'll be in the 3s next weekend.
Good.
Snap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-08, 08:38 PM   #10
kensuf
My idea of fun
Thread Starter
 
kensuf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Gainesville, FL
Bikes: '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '02 Kona Lavadome, '07 Giant TCR Advanced, '07 Karate Monkey
Posts: 9,804
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snap View Post
Good.
Did I mention he's talking about Albany?
kensuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-08, 09:02 PM   #11
KendallF
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Orange Park, FL
Bikes: Ever changing..as of 2-24-09: 2003 Giant TCR Team Once, Sampson titanium, 1992 Paramount Series 3, 2003 Cervelo P3, 70s Raleigh Record fixed gear, 70s Fuji SL-12 commuter, mid 90s Klein MTB. Plus two or three frames lurking, plus 5 wife/kids rides
Posts: 1,341
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Sorry to hear you crashed yesterday. I did that race last year and somebody went up on the curb in front of me on the first lap. I think there's a course design requirement for Florida crits that requires the inclusion of some cobblestones and potholes.
KendallF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-08, 09:36 AM   #12
merlinextraligh
pan y agua
 
merlinextraligh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Jacksonville
Bikes: Wilier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Co-Motion Robusta; Schwinn Paramount; Motobecane Phantom Cross; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Calfee Dragonfly Tandem
Posts: 29,135
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Only positive thing of my weekend was no crashes. Suffered off the back in the 4's on saturday, and in the Masters 45 on sunday. Paying the price for sloth and gluttony
merlinextraligh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-08, 09:42 AM   #13
substructure
RustyTainte
 
substructure's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: 28012
Bikes: zilch
Posts: 12,343
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kensuf View Post
Todays race was really sketchy -- which was a surprise given how sweet the course is. One dude was a human ping-pong ball and bounced off of several people because he had no idea how to hold a line..

With 5 minutes and 5 laps to go, I took a solo flier with the idea of TT'ing for 10 minutes to the win. I held them off for 2 laps and was just settling down into "hold them off and TT mode" when the officials announced a prime, which meant I had to work a little harder. I took the prime on my 3rd lap off the front, but then was caught 1/2 lap later. With 3 1/2 laps to go I launched off and got away again, but this time the ORC gang realized what I was doing and shut me down by the time we got back to the finish line. With two laps to go the field got incredibly sketchy and I decided to just sit up and take a pack finish rather than getting more road rash (hey I have to work tomorrow).

End result for ken, pack finish plus a big jug of powerbar endurance sports drink, but I went out swinging.

Snap did pretty well, he launched his own solo bid and tried to get some glory.

Ole Benjie had to settle for 2nd place today. The officials started making some comments about how Jimmie and Ben Page (who aren't related BTW) keep getting the podium spots -- I suspect Ben'll be in the 3s next weekend.
He must have a twin.
This guy was all over the place. He tried to pinch me into a turn and I had to hold him off with my right arm. I swear, you expend way too much energy watching a guy like that for a dozen laps. But we all start somewhere. I honestly cannot believe there were no crashes Sunday in our race.

I'm glad you came out alive too.
substructure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-08, 10:01 AM   #14
kensuf
My idea of fun
Thread Starter
 
kensuf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Gainesville, FL
Bikes: '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '02 Kona Lavadome, '07 Giant TCR Advanced, '07 Karate Monkey
Posts: 9,804
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh View Post
Only positive thing of my weekend was no crashes. Suffered off the back in the 4's on saturday, and in the Masters 45 on sunday. Paying the price for sloth and gluttony
We must have been next to each other for a bit on Saturday then.. I've developed a habit of allowing myself to settle near the back 1/3rd in a crit and just relax and study the course/field while the rabbits burn their legs in the first 15 minutes.

My transponder data from yesterdays race is hysterical because I was sitting ~40th wheel most of the way until lap 12 when I moved up to 6th, then I attacked on 13, stayed away for 14, 15, and 16, was wrapped up on 17, got away again for 18, but then when I got wrapped up again and when it got sketchy I dropped back to like 48th and then just settled for a mid-30s pack finish.
kensuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-08, 11:01 AM   #15
Bobby Lex
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 1,616
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh View Post
Only positive thing of my weekend was no crashes. Suffered off the back in the 4's on saturday, and in the Masters 45 on sunday. Paying the price for sloth and gluttony
There's lotsa folks who won't race Sanford on a dry day because it is so technical. To race it in the rain takes a pair of big ones.

Anybody who managed to stay upright and avoid the carnage on Saturday deserves kudos.

Bob
Bobby Lex is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:13 PM.