So with 9 races under my belt so far this year (1 TT, 7 crits, and 1 circuit -- Tuesday series), I thought I'd post how the other half races.
1. Tom's Farm TT, Jan 13: 6th out of 10 in Masters 50+
2. Roger Millikan Memorial Criterium, Feb 10: Field in Masters 45+ (all categories)
3. Roger Millikan Memorial Criterium, Feb 10: OTB (DFL?) after attacking solo with 3 to go in Masters 50+ (all categories)
4. Anger Management Criterium, Feb 17: Field in Masters 50+ (all categories)
5. Anger Management Criterium, Feb 17: Field in Masters 40+ 1/2/3
6. Dash 4 Cash Criterium, Mar 2: Field in Masters 50+ (all categories)
7. Dash 4 Cash Criterium, Mar 2: Field in Masters 40+ 1/2/3
8. El Dorado Tuesday Twilight Racing Series, Series #1, Race #1, Mar 4: Field in Masters 40+ (all categories + women + juniors)
9. Tour de Murrieta Criterium, Mar 8: OTB and pulled with 3 to go in Masters 45+ 1/2/3/4
At the Tour de Murrieta I found myself stuck at the back with a bunch of people who weren't the best at cornering at this slightly technical course. I kept on having to close small gaps out of almost every corner and I just didn't feel good enough to barge my way to the front of the 60 rider field. With what turned out to be 6 to go, I had to close a large gap when someone fell off. I had to do the same with 5 to go and when the hammer really fell with 4 to go I fell off on the headwind straight. I rode a lap solo and didn't lose nearly as much ground as I thought I would, but when I crossed the line with 3 to go the referee pulled me. Still ended up with a 26 MPH average for 19 miles.
I'm reasonably happy with how I'm riding for this time of year. Usually I've only race a couple of times by now and I am usually hanging on for dear life. I've been somewhat active at the front in the Masters 50+ races and I've hung in fairly well in the 40+ and 45+ races except for Murrieta.
I won't be doing a weekend race until April because I have to do dad and family things the next few weekends. I will be racing Tuesday nights through March but I be traveling on business and missing 4 Tuesdays in April and early May.
I guess things can't be too bad since I've managed to stay upright and finish every lap except for this past Saturday. Year-to-date stats (excluding the TT): 149.8 miles at 25.7 MPH.