Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 31
  1. #1
    Senior Member garysol1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Avon , Ohio
    Posts
    9,844
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Tim Tyler and USA Cycling update

    Well Tym just informed me that as of now his races will be run under the ABRA flag. For this season ABRA will be honoring your USA Cycling license to make for an easier transition. This will start this weekend at the Oxford Ohio race.

  2. #2
    Cat WTF
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    1,297
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You mean ABR? That's what I heard. Anyway, an ABR license is $25. I have to get one due to the FAIC national TT championship rules.

    I'll be there Saturday, right after a time trial. Ouch.

  3. #3
    Quarq shill cslone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Ohio
    My Bikes
    08 Felt F4, 05 Fuji Team SL, 08 Planet X Stealth, 10 Kona Jake the Snake, 03 Giant OCR flat bar.
    Posts
    3,963
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Christ.
    FS: Fuji SL1 frameset, 55.5cm toptube, excellent condition.

  4. #4
    Senior Member garysol1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Avon , Ohio
    Posts
    9,844
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cat4ever View Post
    You mean ABR?
    His email said ABRA......I assume it is one in the same.

  5. #5
    . botto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    40,275
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by garysol1 View Post
    His email said ABRA......I assume it is one in the same.
    CADABRA?

  6. #6
    Quarq shill cslone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Ohio
    My Bikes
    08 Felt F4, 05 Fuji Team SL, 08 Planet X Stealth, 10 Kona Jake the Snake, 03 Giant OCR flat bar.
    Posts
    3,963
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gary, can you post, or pm me that email? This will play havic with Tour of Ohio for a lot of people.
    FS: Fuji SL1 frameset, 55.5cm toptube, excellent condition.

  7. #7
    Cat WTF
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    1,297
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cslone View Post
    Gary, can you post, or pm me that email? This will play havic with Tour of Ohio for a lot of people.

    Didn't Tym have the USCF state championship race this year as well?

    oops

  8. #8
    Oh The Huge Manatee Lithuania's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    mabra
    Posts
    4,528
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botto View Post
    CADABRA?
    hes going to reach out and grab ya

  9. #9
    Senior Member garysol1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Avon , Ohio
    Posts
    9,844
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cslone View Post
    Gary, can you post, or pm me that email? This will play havic with Tour of Ohio for a lot of people.
    I do not see Tour of Ohio on USA Cycling's website....

  10. #10
    Quarq shill cslone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Ohio
    My Bikes
    08 Felt F4, 05 Fuji Team SL, 08 Planet X Stealth, 10 Kona Jake the Snake, 03 Giant OCR flat bar.
    Posts
    3,963
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's because they were bickering back and forth about Tym getting sanctioned, so they hadn't approved it yet. It's a P/1/2/3 Stage race in June.
    FS: Fuji SL1 frameset, 55.5cm toptube, excellent condition.

  11. #11
    Quarq shill cslone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Ohio
    My Bikes
    08 Felt F4, 05 Fuji Team SL, 08 Planet X Stealth, 10 Kona Jake the Snake, 03 Giant OCR flat bar.
    Posts
    3,963
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cat4ever View Post
    Didn't Tym have the USCF state championship race this year as well?

    oops

    Yep, Danville in July.
    FS: Fuji SL1 frameset, 55.5cm toptube, excellent condition.

  12. #12
    Throw the stick!!!! LowCel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Charleston, WV
    My Bikes
    GMC Denali
    Posts
    17,588
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Does this mean that his races will not count towards upgrades in USAC? I'm assuming it does but I would like to make sure.
    I may be fat but I'm slow enough to make up for it.

  13. #13
    Quarq shill cslone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Ohio
    My Bikes
    08 Felt F4, 05 Fuji Team SL, 08 Planet X Stealth, 10 Kona Jake the Snake, 03 Giant OCR flat bar.
    Posts
    3,963
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That would be correct.

    Better read up on the rules now.

    http://www.ambikerace.com/ftp/ABR_RB-08v1.pdf
    FS: Fuji SL1 frameset, 55.5cm toptube, excellent condition.

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Athens, Ohio
    My Bikes
    Custom Custom Custom
    Posts
    5,104
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok I'm going to defend Tym a little bit since its always a Tym bashing. But first, I just want to say I'm not trying to be a troll, I'm not in his "in" crowd, not on his payroll, I don't owe him favors. Also I don't know anything about this except for what I read here.

    All of you complain that there is low turn out, low prize list, this sucks, that sucks. Well how is he suppose to put up a big prize list when A: No one shows up, and B: he can't get a sponsor for a race out in the Boons. And he can't go home every weekend loosing hundreds of dollars either. If he truly the inconsiderate ******* you all put him out to be, he wouldn't put on races. He puts on races because he likes to put on races. And we all aren't pros. We don't go race to make a living. We go race because its what turns our gears (sorry for the pun)

    He could have very well continued his race series with no league sanctioning, basically turning his races into your local Wed Worlds every weekend, or just flat out quit and canceled all his races. Now if Tym canceled all his races, well, there wouldn't be much racing to do here in Ohio.

    Also Tym Tyler the race promoter and Tym Tyler the person are two different people IMO. When I got to know him at Interbike, my perception of him changed completely. But I'm not saying he can't be a sleeze ball either.

  15. #15
    Senior Member garysol1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Avon , Ohio
    Posts
    9,844
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have been on contact with Tym a lot in the past few weeks. He has always been helpful and considerate to me......thats all I can say. I am glad we have somewhere to race.

  16. #16
    Quarq shill cslone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Ohio
    My Bikes
    08 Felt F4, 05 Fuji Team SL, 08 Planet X Stealth, 10 Kona Jake the Snake, 03 Giant OCR flat bar.
    Posts
    3,963
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well:

    -Advertising a $30 entry fee, then charging $40(yes, $40)
    -Telling a racer to **** himself in front of about 6 10-12 year old juniors
    -Threatening to cancel the race because people argue that his fee increased $10 without notice. His reply was "I'll charge what I want, I can't do this stuff for free."
    -Handing out expired Cliff bars and Powerade SAMPLES.
    -Telling people "Then don't race." when someone asked if he could widen the finishing straight barriers more than 4 racers wide.
    -State Crit Champs he calls the 3's to the line first, then the 4's, then says "Go!". "Hey 4's, you're with the 3's now too."
    -Unmarked courses

    Just this season, this is what I saw. His problem, although he could be a very nice guy, is that he acts like everyone owes him something. It's a two way street. If he puts on well priced, safe, races week after week, then people will continue to show. On the flip side, he needs some credit for the amount of races he promotes. He just decides this year to buck the system and not follow USAC categories, then wonders why the OCA won't sanction any races. I don't know what went on behind the scenes, and it may very well be both parties faults, but if you want to promote in Ohio under the USAC, then the OCA has the final say. But instead of conforming back to the categories he did last year, he refuses and switches organizations. He just comes across as childish to me, and this puts the stamp on it.

    It sucks, because there are a few races of his I really wanted to do this year, Mid Ohio, Athens. But if there's a USA race the same weekend, you bet I'm doing the one that counts for me. Which is what I think a lot of people will do once this catches on. And if he's seriously losing money every weekend, why would you not cut from 30 races a seaon with minimal turnout and shoddy payout, to 15-18 with secure sponsorship? That would be bound to bring more racers out.

    And why isn't there anything on the site about his switch? I would be a little tweaked if I showed up to race and it didn't count for anything.
    Last edited by cslone; 03-12-08 at 07:10 PM.
    FS: Fuji SL1 frameset, 55.5cm toptube, excellent condition.

  17. #17
    Cat WTF
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    1,297
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nitropowered View Post

    All of you


    Wrong there chief.

  18. #18
    elitist jerk daytonian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Blow - hio
    My Bikes
    CAAD9
    Posts
    4,186
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cslone View Post
    Well:

    -Advertising a $30 entry fee, then charging $40(yes, $40)
    -Telling a racer to **** himself in front of about 6 10-12 year old juniors
    -Threatening to cancel the race because people argue that his fee increased $10 without notice. His reply was "I'll charge what I want, I can't do this stuff for free."
    -Handing out expired Cliff bars and Powerade SAMPLES.
    -Telling people "Then don't race." when someone asked if he could widen the finishing straight barriers more than 4 racers wide.
    -State Crit Champs he calls the 3's to the line first, then the 4's, then says "Go!". "Hey 4's, you're with the 3's now too."
    -Unmarked courses

    Just this season, this is what I saw. His problem, although he could be a very nice guy, is that he acts like everyone owes him something. It's a two way street. If he puts on well priced, safe, races week after week, then people will continue to show. On the flip side, he needs some credit for the amount of races he promotes. He just decides this year to buck the system and not follow USAC categories, then wonders why the OCA won't sanction any races. I don't know what went on behind the scenes, and it may very well be both parties faults, but if you want to promote in Ohio under the USAC, then the OCA has the final say. But instead of conforming back to the categories he did last year, he refuses and switches organizations. He just comes across as childish to me, and this puts the stamp on it.

    It sucks, because there are a few races of his I really wanted to do this year, Mid Ohio, Athens. But if there's a USA race the same weekend, you bet I'm doing the one that counts for me. Which is what I think a lot of people will do once this catches on. And if he's seriously losing money every weekend, why would you not cut from 30 races a seaon with minimal turnout and shoddy payout, to 15-18 with secure sponsorship? That would be bound to bring more racers out.

    And why isn't there anything on the site about his switch? I would be a little tweaked if I showed up to race and it didn't count for anything.
    for state RR, and NO money - just trophies
    I feel like a soiled kleenex dropped in the gutter in the red-light district of Paris.

  19. #19
    Senior Member garysol1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Avon , Ohio
    Posts
    9,844
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by daytonian View Post
    for state RR, and NO money - just trophies
    He paid out cash to me and Lowcel....Not much but it was green and the bills were not expired

  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Beavercreek, OH
    Posts
    493
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm... we have two cat 5's that don't ride on Sundays. They were going to rely on Tim's races to get their 10 starts. I wonder if any mass start race will count going from cat 5 to cat 4. If not, they may need a new plan, maybe a pass from Jesus to race a few Sundays.

  21. #21
    Senior Member garysol1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Avon , Ohio
    Posts
    9,844
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shayne View Post
    I wonder if any mass start race will count going from cat 5 to cat 4.
    From what I hear USAC will honor the starts but not the points.

  22. #22
    Throw the stick!!!! LowCel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Charleston, WV
    My Bikes
    GMC Denali
    Posts
    17,588
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by garysol1 View Post
    From what I hear USAC will honor the starts but not the points.
    When I did mine they told me that they would accept the one ABR race I did as a start but I don't know that they would accept many more than that. It would be a good idea to contact someone at USAC to find out for sure.
    I may be fat but I'm slow enough to make up for it.

  23. #23
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Beavercreek, OH
    Posts
    493
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks guys. One of them is new to BF, so I pointed him to this thread.

  24. #24
    Throw the stick!!!! LowCel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Charleston, WV
    My Bikes
    GMC Denali
    Posts
    17,588
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Not sure if anyone is interested, but here is the site for ABR (American Bicycle Racing).

    The categories are a little different.

    1 - Professional and Expert
    2 - Specialist level
    3 - Intermediate level
    4 - Apprentice level

    Upgrades:
    Cat 4 - 3: 40 points and 15 events
    Cat 3 - 2: 40 points and 20 events
    Cat 2 - 1: 40 points and 20 events

    Points for qualifying race: 10-7-5-4-3-2-1-1. There must be at least 25 racers for it to be a qualifying race.
    Points for non-qualifying race: 5-3-2-1. There must be at least 10 racers in the category for it to be a non-qualifying race.

    Racers earning 60 points in a given category may be required to upgrade.

    Going by this it is going to take me two or three seasons to just get the 35 races in to get to a cat 2 in their system.
    Last edited by LowCel; 03-13-08 at 06:30 AM.
    I may be fat but I'm slow enough to make up for it.

  25. #25
    Cat WTF
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    1,297
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can petition ABR when you buy your license if you attach documentation to substantiate your category. I photocopied my cat 3 USCF license to buy a cat 3 ABR license.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •