Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-28-08, 01:40 PM   #1
isuffer
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: NY
Bikes:
Posts: 196
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Crashed... I've HTFU

Crashed 1/2 mile from finishing my ride. While riding solo on Bear Mt. race course, for a split second, I took my mind off the road - was thinking about what a great ride I was having, beautiful day, etc. Next thing I recall was looking at my forearm sliding on black top and thinking to myself "Now, that's gonna hurt". Bike is okay. I have major road rash.

After thoughts:

I'm amazed how quickly crashes happen. I hit a small black top patch, which threw my handlebars to the left. I must have lighten my grip. There's no way to prep for a fall during a crash.

The psychological effect of a crash is quite amazing. I keep replaying the crash over and over in my head... and kept saying HTFU to myself. I'm so pissed at myself.

I was dreading to go to the ER. My first crash, about 20 yrs ago, the nurse cleaned me out with alcohol swabs, which hurt like hell. This time, the nurse cleaned with saline solution. Told me to put Basatracin and cover with bandaids. Change dressing twice a day. Easy.

I knew my time was up sooner or later. I know it will come again. Thank you to the two riders that stopped to help.

Now, I've HTFU and will be back on the bike tomorrow.
isuffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-08, 01:49 PM   #2
MDcatV
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 6,760
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by isuffer View Post
Crashed 1/2 mile from finishing my ride. While riding solo on Bear Mt. race course, for a split second, I took my mind off the road - was thinking about what a great ride I was having, beautiful day, etc. Next thing I recall was looking at my forearm sliding on black top and thinking to myself "Now, that's gonna hurt". Bike is okay. I have major road rash.

After thoughts:

I'm amazed how quickly crashes happen. I hit a small black top patch, which threw my handlebars to the left. I must have lighten my grip. There's no way to prep for a fall during a crash.

The psychological effect of a crash is quite amazing. I keep replaying the crash over and over in my head... and kept saying HTFU to myself. I'm so pissed at myself.

I was dreading to go to the ER. My first crash, about 20 yrs ago, the nurse cleaned me out with alcohol swabs, which hurt like hell. This time, the nurse cleaned with saline solution. Told me to put Basatracin and cover with bandaids. Change dressing twice a day. Easy.

I knew my time was up sooner or later. I know it will come again. Thank you to the two riders that stopped to help.

Now, I've HTFU and will be back on the bike tomorrow.
agreed on the psychological effects. 2 weeks ago, I had a crash going through a corner I ride through nearly evertime I ride my bike. It's been bothering me ever since and I'm finding myself tentative right now. FWIW, I went back to investigate the corner a few days post crash, and have ridden by there a few times since then. There is a sidewalk replacement project work area at the intersection, construction vehicles are in the turn lane I ride through, and there oil on the road there. I've concluded that I was a) not paying enough attention and approached the corner going to fast; b) picked up some oil on my tire; c) crashed as a result of a + b.

as an aside, what's with the BF road bike racing forumites, they're either winning every race they enter, or crashing. unfortunately, I've been crashing.

isuffer - sorry to hear you hit the deck and good luck with recovery.
MDcatV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-08, 02:06 PM   #3
bitterken
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: MD
Bikes:
Posts: 773
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
re: crashing... I'm one of the guys crashing instead of winning.

Two in two weeks, both on the same side. The last time was Saturday during a road race. I was down for a few seconds before support rolled up. After he checked my bike and checked my body, he told me to get back on before the pain started and gave me a push. I never caught back on, but I don't think I would have finished the remaining 20 miles if it wasn't for him. Getting back on the next day was much harder as I kept on tearing the scabs on my knee.

I hope both you guys are healing up well.
bitterken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-08, 08:35 PM   #4
carpediemracing
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Tariffville, CT
Bikes: Tsunami Bikes
Posts: 14,498
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Tegaderm works great, ditto Second Skin. I haven't seen the second product recently though.

Keeps scabs from forming. After a week of semi-regular cleaning (antiseptic) out and re-covering, you'll have this bright pink fresh skin. Keep it on for everything, showers, etc. Cover with gauze and tape to keep your clothing etc from peeling the Tegaderm/etc from peeling off.

I only change it when I see gross stuff underneath. If it's pink/red I leave it on.

Tegaderm resembles Saran wrap.
Second Skin resembles a thick, padded, and mainly clear "Tegaderm"

heal fast,
cdr
carpediemracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-08, 08:46 PM   #5
BigSean
Senior Member
 
BigSean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Nor-Cal Bay Area
Bikes:
Posts: 5,088
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I didnt crash, and I didnt win. But i consider it a win cause it was so fun.

Heal up quick.
BigSean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-08, 09:47 AM   #6
currand
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 377
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by carpediemracing View Post
Tegaderm works great, ditto Second Skin. I haven't seen the second product recently though.

Keeps scabs from forming. After a week of semi-regular cleaning (antiseptic) out and re-covering, you'll have this bright pink fresh skin. Keep it on for everything, showers, etc. Cover with gauze and tape to keep your clothing etc from peeling the Tegaderm/etc from peeling off.

I only change it when I see gross stuff underneath. If it's pink/red I leave it on.

Tegaderm resembles Saran wrap.
Second Skin resembles a thick, padded, and mainly clear "Tegaderm"

heal fast,
cdr

Glad you said something about the nasty crap under there. For some reason I thought that was a negative. Like it was getting infected. Second, my coach said he actually uses Saran wrap and medical tape instead... Not sure how healthy it is. Maybe that's the cause of his supremely evil workouts.
currand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-08, 11:30 AM   #7
MDcatV
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 6,760
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by carpediemracing View Post
Tegaderm works great, ditto Second Skin. I haven't seen the second product recently though.

Keeps scabs from forming. After a week of semi-regular cleaning (antiseptic) out and re-covering, you'll have this bright pink fresh skin. Keep it on for everything, showers, etc. Cover with gauze and tape to keep your clothing etc from peeling the Tegaderm/etc from peeling off.

I only change it when I see gross stuff underneath. If it's pink/red I leave it on.

Tegaderm resembles Saran wrap.
Second Skin resembles a thick, padded, and mainly clear "Tegaderm"

heal fast,
cdr
cvs suresite window is generic "tegaderm", its exactly the same but less expensive.

saran wrap and tape, that just sounds wrong.
MDcatV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-08, 12:10 PM   #8
currand
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 377
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDcatV View Post
cvs suresite window is generic "tegaderm", its exactly the same but less expensive.

saran wrap and tape, that just sounds wrong.
+1. I also found "NexCare" which is clear, made by 3m, and works exactly like Tegaderm. $3 for 8 sheets as opposed to $8 for 8 sheets at CVS... I will say this. Be prepared to gross people out. The human body healing itself is not pleasant and is made even less so by the trapping of bodily fluids. However, it makes a great way to get people ask you about it so you can pretend to be a bada55 mofro.

"Yeah, I hit the pavement at 40mph but then I HTFU'd (H'dTFU?) and still got the W."
currand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-08, 01:38 PM   #9
isuffer
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: NY
Bikes:
Posts: 196
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by carpediemracing View Post
Tegaderm works great, ditto Second Skin. I haven't seen the second product recently though.

Keeps scabs from forming. After a week of semi-regular cleaning (antiseptic) out and re-covering, you'll have this bright pink fresh skin. Keep it on for everything, showers, etc. Cover with gauze and tape to keep your clothing etc from peeling the Tegaderm/etc from peeling off.

I only change it when I see gross stuff underneath. If it's pink/red I leave it on.

Tegaderm resembles Saran wrap.
Second Skin resembles a thick, padded, and mainly clear "Tegaderm"

heal fast,
cdr

Thanks for the advice. I made a mistake of keeping my elbow uncovered to "air out" last night. It's more painful now and has the sunburn feeling. I'll keep it covered from now. Bought some Nexcare, from CVS. Good stuff.

Now if I could only stop replaying the crash over and over in my head.
isuffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:03 PM.