Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-29-08, 07:39 PM   #1
DrWJODonnell
Slow'n'Aero
Thread Starter
 
DrWJODonnell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Driving the pace in the crosswind
Bikes:
Posts: 2,599
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Tour de Ephrata report

As usual, the report can be found here.

However, it is a stage race. 3 stages. So a short version is mandatory.

Short version
Stage 1 - I sat up out of the winning break. Why? Don't ask.
Stage 2 - A bit of redemption with a time trial win. It was a climbing TT though.
Stage 3 - The crit left me with a few choices. Decided to stick with game plan. However, the teammate I was helping was caught behind a crash.

Overall, I still took tenth with two other teammates in the top ten, but I should have just said screw team tactics and won the stupid thing. But that would have been selfish and not been nice.

Still, at least I could have been not so stupid.
DrWJODonnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-08, 09:24 PM   #2
Racer Ex 
Resident Alien
 
Racer Ex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Location, location.
Bikes:
Posts: 12,526
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWJODonnell View Post
Stage 1 - I sat up out of the winning break. Why? Don't ask.
Ok, I'll just write down a meaningless letter.

Y.

Y?

Y.

I know. It can be that bad. Ask me about handing a minute to a giant motor in a petulant argument with another rider last year.
Racer Ex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-08, 09:26 PM   #3
zimbo
Senior Member
 
zimbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: North Carolina
Bikes:
Posts: 2,040
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
You wrote: "(a person with someone on his wheel actually saves energy, so even sitting on, you still help the guy in front a bit)"

What are we talking about? 1 or 2 watts?

--Steve
zimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-08, 10:00 PM   #4
The_Convert
Senior Member
 
The_Convert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Boulder, CO
Bikes:
Posts: 1,309
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zimbo View Post
You wrote: "(a person with someone on his wheel actually saves energy, so even sitting on, you still help the guy in front a bit)"

What are we talking about? 1 or 2 watts?

--Steve
LOL!
The_Convert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-08, 11:34 PM   #5
hiromian
Gios my baby
 
hiromian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Bikes: Gios 96, Mercier 72, Peugeot 74 X 2, Sears full suspension High rise banana seat, Kona 94, CCM Rambler 70s.
Posts: 1,135
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This one time, at race camp, I raced and chose not to win it. I wish.
hiromian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-08, 01:11 AM   #6
Edonis13
Senior Member
 
Edonis13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Sacramento, CA
Bikes: S-Works SL3 Tarmac, Allez E5, Leader 735TT, others
Posts: 1,709
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWJODonnell View Post
I should have just said screw team tactics and won the stupid thing.
true story.
Edonis13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-08, 03:07 AM   #7
gsteinb
out walking the earth
 
gsteinb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: teh Jersey
Bikes:
Posts: 19,851
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
The team's strongest TTer was in the potentially winning break. What were the tactics?
gsteinb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-08, 03:29 AM   #8
Bob Dopolina 
Mr. Dopolina
 
Bob Dopolina's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Taiwan
Bikes: KUUPAS, Simpson VR
Posts: 9,968
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWJODonnell View Post
As usual, the report can be found here.

However, it is a stage race. 3 stages. So a short version is mandatory.

Short version
Stage 1 - I sat up out of the winning break. Why? Don't ask.
Stage 2 - A bit of redemption with a time trial win. It was a climbing TT though.
Stage 3 - The crit left me with a few choices. Decided to stick with game plan. However, the teammate I was helping was caught behind a crash.

Overall, I still took tenth with two other teammates in the top ten, but
I should have just said screw team tactics and won the stupid thing. But that would have been selfish and not been nice.

Still, at least I could have been not so stupid.
If your designated guy is fried, it is up to him to release the team to go for plan B (or C).

I read you race report and it seems like you guys made a series of calls that lead to results being less than what they could have been.

Sometimes it just goes that way.
__________________
BLOG of BOB: Old Guy Racer
BDop Cycling Company Ltd.: bdopcycling.com, facebook
Bob Dopolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-08, 07:49 AM   #9
MDcatV
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 6,760
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
It's easy to look back on a race with 20/20 hindsight and identify what you did wrong. Stuff happens, every race is a learning opportunity for you and your team.

I've raced against the Evo guy since we were both 5s, dont really know him other than to nod hello, but he's very strong when on ... I'll be very attentive to him this weekend.
MDcatV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-08, 09:20 AM   #10
The_Convert
Senior Member
 
The_Convert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Boulder, CO
Bikes:
Posts: 1,309
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
IMO this is typical of cat 3s completely overthinking tactics. Dont chase your teammates, always have a guy in the break, but stop trying to act like Johan.
The_Convert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-08, 11:12 AM   #11
gsteinb
out walking the earth
 
gsteinb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: teh Jersey
Bikes:
Posts: 19,851
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
these guys are hardly typical 3s though.
gsteinb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-08, 11:21 AM   #12
The_Convert
Senior Member
 
The_Convert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Boulder, CO
Bikes:
Posts: 1,309
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsteinb View Post
these guys are hardly typical 3s though.
all the more reason they should have easily won.
The_Convert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-08, 11:49 AM   #13
DrWJODonnell
Slow'n'Aero
Thread Starter
 
DrWJODonnell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Driving the pace in the crosswind
Bikes:
Posts: 2,599
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
From the outset it was not supposed to be my weekend. I was happy to work for other people but we did want to try some tactics. The "Get O'Donnell in the break" thing has played itself out a bit and so we wanted to try getting several people in a break so that we could practice working a break over (and as I said, it was supposed to be for other teammates I was working). When it came down to it however, unbeknownst to me, the team had decided that since I was in the break, the win was in the bag. I, however was not there for the win for me, I wanted to actually follow through with the original plan. Frankly, I wanted to Hand Nomad his first Stateside win if I could. Thus the whole problem.

I agree with Convert that we were perhaps overthinking things. If we wanted to win outright, then we had set everything up well. It's just that it was considered a training race to try out some new things for upcoming important races. And, the fact is, I screwed up. Sometimes rather than holding on to stringent ideals (we WILL do it exactly the way we said) it is necessary to have flexibility. I did not do that, and it cost us.

Still, Nomad raced very well. Can't wait to race with him some more.
DrWJODonnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-08, 11:57 AM   #14
DrWJODonnell
Slow'n'Aero
Thread Starter
 
DrWJODonnell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Driving the pace in the crosswind
Bikes:
Posts: 2,599
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zimbo View Post
You wrote: "(a person with someone on his wheel actually saves energy, so even sitting on, you still help the guy in front a bit)"

What are we talking about? 1 or 2 watts?

--Steve
This is from page 198 of "Bicycling Science" I don't know how accurate this is, but I have read similar statements (without references) in other books:
Quote:
A better representtion of two riders one behind the other is of two circular cylinders (figure 5.19). "When the gap is about two diameters, the lead [cylinder or person] actually experiences a reduction in drag of about 15%. The rear person at that spacing has about zero drag. When the separation increased to four diameters, the lead person loses and benefit, while the rear person's drag is about 25% of the solo value" (Papadopoulos and Drela 1999, 20).
I have read elsewhere that a person sitting on your wheel disrupts the eddies and vortex that would produce drag behind the lead rider and as such, the lead rider goes faster for the same power output. By the quote above, I would guess the maximum savings would be in the area of 15%. If that optimum is obtained, 15% of 350 watts is some 50 watts savings for the lead rider. I don't expect that the positioning was ideal, but I would not be surprised if more than 1 or 2 watts were saved.
DrWJODonnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-08, 12:08 PM   #15
Duke of Kent
Senior Member
 
Duke of Kent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Blacksburg, VA
Bikes: Yeti ASRc, Focus Raven 29er, Flyxii FR316
Posts: 4,833
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zimbo View Post
You wrote: "(a person with someone on his wheel actually saves energy, so even sitting on, you still help the guy in front a bit)"

What are we talking about? 1 or 2 watts?

--Steve
More like 10% or more.

Think about it. Ever been the last guy in line? Feel that mysterious force sucking you backwards? If a guy is pulling you along, he no longer has to deal with that. You do.
Duke of Kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-08, 12:35 PM   #16
zimbo
Senior Member
 
zimbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: North Carolina
Bikes:
Posts: 2,040
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Kent View Post
More like 10% or more. Think about it. Ever been the last guy in line? Feel that mysterious force sucking you backwards? If a guy is pulling you along, he no longer has to deal with that. You do.
If it's anywhere near 10% I'll send you a six-pack of your favorite malt beverage.

--Steve
zimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-08, 12:40 PM   #17
Duke of Kent
Senior Member
 
Duke of Kent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Blacksburg, VA
Bikes: Yeti ASRc, Focus Raven 29er, Flyxii FR316
Posts: 4,833
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zimbo View Post
If it's anywhere near 10% I'll send you a six-pack of your favorite malt beverage.

--Steve
This effect is also why I'll gladly tow any person I can beat in a sprint up to a break. We each benefit.
Duke of Kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-08, 08:24 PM   #18
NomadVW 
部門ニ/自転車オタク
 
NomadVW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Yuma, AZ
Bikes: 2005 Specialized Roubaix Elite, 2005 Specialized FSR XC Comp, 2008 Blue T16, 2009 Blue RC8, Fetish Cycles Road Bike
Posts: 3,172
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWJODonnell View Post
From the outset it was not supposed to be my weekend. I was happy to work for other people but we did want to try some tactics. The "Get O'Donnell in the break" thing has played itself out a bit and so we wanted to try getting several people in a break so that we could practice working a break over (and as I said, it was supposed to be for other teammates I was working). When it came down to it however, unbeknownst to me, the team had decided that since I was in the break, the win was in the bag. I, however was not there for the win for me, I wanted to actually follow through with the original plan. Frankly, I wanted to Hand Nomad his first Stateside win if I could. Thus the whole problem.

I agree with Convert that we were perhaps overthinking things. If we wanted to win outright, then we had set everything up well. It's just that it was considered a training race to try out some new things for upcoming important races. And, the fact is, I screwed up. Sometimes rather than holding on to stringent ideals (we WILL do it exactly the way we said) it is necessary to have flexibility. I did not do that, and it cost us.Still, Nomad raced very well. Can't wait to race with him some more.
Next time let's not put me in the first break up the road All in all, I'm pretty pleased with the performance for me over the weekend after what felt like a pretty crap week. Wish I'd turned the powertap on before the road race just to see how hard we were going in the first break, cause it was a pretty blistering pace.

Interestingly, I would have had the 2nd fastest TT time if I raced in the Cat 4 only field, but it was a lot more enjoyable racing with the team.
__________________
Envision, Energize, Enable
NomadVW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-08, 09:54 PM   #19
DrWJODonnell
Slow'n'Aero
Thread Starter
 
DrWJODonnell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Driving the pace in the crosswind
Bikes:
Posts: 2,599
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadVW View Post
Next time let's not put me in the first break up the road All in all, I'm pretty pleased with the performance for me over the weekend after what felt like a pretty crap week. Wish I'd turned the powertap on before the road race just to see how hard we were going in the first break, cause it was a pretty blistering pace.

Interestingly, I would have had the 2nd fastest TT time if I raced in the Cat 4 only field, but it was a lot more enjoyable racing with the team.
I hear you. I for one was glad to have you there. I think the idea to get you up the road early was a good one, but unfortunately those guys blew your break apart. I would happily have ridden up to you and turned the heat up, but races are as they are.

PS Great job on the TT Nomad. you beat some VERY good TTists in only your first full TT!! You are going to be scary (if you aren't already!)!!
DrWJODonnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-08, 10:08 PM   #20
Enthalpic
Killing Rabbits
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 5,142
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWJODonnell View Post

PS Great job on the TT Nomad. you beat some VERY good TTists in only your first full TT!! You are going to be scary (if you aren't already!)!!
I hope you have been working with Nomad to help make his TT position as insanely aero as yours.

I'll admit, I take all your TT tips as gospel.
Enthalpic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-08, 05:42 AM   #21
waterrockets 
Making a kilometer blurry
 
waterrockets's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Austin (near TX)
Bikes: rkwaki's porn collection
Posts: 26,130
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zimbo View Post
If it's anywhere near 10% I'll send you a six-pack of your favorite malt beverage.

The effect is great enough that Coggan mentioned that he has been able to detect it in power files over in the wattage forum. So, that's at least bigger than the error in power meters.
waterrockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:47 AM.