Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 26
  1. #1
    Carpe Diem bdcheung's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    MABRA
    My Bikes
    2007 CAAD9; 2008 Giant Bowery; 2008 Surly Crosscheck
    Posts
    13,130
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Waterproof Shoe Covers

    Are there any shoe covers that are truly waterproof? I know they won't be very breathable, but I'm looking for something that'll keep my feet dry when racing in summer rain.

    I saw these by PI, anyone have any experience:
    Wind Shoe Cover

    "When you are chewing the bars at the business end of a 90 mile road race you really dont care what gear you have hanging from your bike so long as it works."
    ΛΧΑ ΔΞ179 - 15% off your first Hammer Nutrition order!

  2. #2
    Lotion/Basket/Hose Doctor Who's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Chicago
    My Bikes
    1992 Schwinn Paramount
    Posts
    1,368
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why bother with those? Stick your socked foot in a newspaper bag (the long, thin kind) before you put on your shoe.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    6,374
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    you're planning to use them for racing in summer rain ... just get wet
    Last edited by MDcatV; 04-30-08 at 02:02 PM.

  4. #4
    unaangalia nini? baiskeli's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Arlington MA
    My Bikes
    Jamis Quest (Ultegra components,Mavic Ksyrium Elite wheels and Reynods Ouzo Pro Fork), Gary Fisher Tassajara
    Posts
    1,136
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bdcheung View Post
    Are there any shoe covers that are truly waterproof? I know they won't be very breathable, but I'm looking for something that'll keep my feet dry when racing in summer rain.

    I saw these by PI, anyone have any experience:
    Wind Shoe Cover

    I use the Descente ones. They are waterproof but since they are snug they have begun fraying where they sit over the shoe buckle.

  5. #5
    Senior Member Kris Flatlander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Bellevue, WA
    My Bikes
    Cannondale Super Six 1, Cannondale F29er 1, Cannondale XTJ, Guru Pista, Lemond Limoge
    Posts
    760
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a set of those Pearl Izumi shoe covers. Be warned the bottom area just disintegrates on them. I wore them for 1 week and the walking I did them was from my gym locker to the underground parking lot (no gravel etc) and the bottoms got a ton of holes and tears in them. As well the front edges is starting to tear at the seams. Not particularly impressed. They are warm just by keeping the wind/water out however.

  6. #6
    Carpe Diem bdcheung's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    MABRA
    My Bikes
    2007 CAAD9; 2008 Giant Bowery; 2008 Surly Crosscheck
    Posts
    13,130
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MDcatV View Post
    you're planning to use them for racing in summer rain ... just get wet
    the feeling of soggy socks and water squishing between my toes really messes with my head. It's one of my (many) idiosyncrasies.
    "When you are chewing the bars at the business end of a 90 mile road race you really dont care what gear you have hanging from your bike so long as it works."
    ΛΧΑ ΔΞ179 - 15% off your first Hammer Nutrition order!

  7. #7
    Mmmmm Donuts! FatguyRacer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Crownsville, MD
    My Bikes
    1998 IF Crown Jewel
    Posts
    2,069
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    its been my considered experince that in anything more than a light drizzel, there is nothing that will keep you completely dry. As long as the covers have a hole for the clete and the shoes have vent holes for air flow, your feet will get wet. The closest i've come to dry feet is waterproof socks AND shoe covers.

    http://www.sealskinz.com/
    John

    '09 Cannondale CAAD9 - Team Latitude/ABRT Special.
    '04 Lemond Victorie Ti
    '98 IF Crown Jewel (dead)
    '92 Trek2100 (TT)
    '50 something Gino Bartali (fixer)
    '02 Ducati ST4s (Moto-Ref mount)

    My Blog

  8. #8
    Carpe Diem bdcheung's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    MABRA
    My Bikes
    2007 CAAD9; 2008 Giant Bowery; 2008 Surly Crosscheck
    Posts
    13,130
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^^ valuable input, something else for me to consider.
    "When you are chewing the bars at the business end of a 90 mile road race you really dont care what gear you have hanging from your bike so long as it works."
    ΛΧΑ ΔΞ179 - 15% off your first Hammer Nutrition order!

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    6,374
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bdcheung View Post
    the feeling of soggy socks and water squishing between my toes really messes with my head. It's one of my (many) idiosyncrasies.
    attack more, you'll then forget about soggy squishy feet.

  10. #10
    Killing Rabbits
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    4,682
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have these, ugly but pretty much impenetrable.



    http://www.sugoi.ca/item/86977/SUG95050U

  11. #11
    Carpe Diem bdcheung's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    MABRA
    My Bikes
    2007 CAAD9; 2008 Giant Bowery; 2008 Surly Crosscheck
    Posts
    13,130
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seriously, doesn't work like that. It's like nails on a chalkboard (or __insert pet peave sensation__) to me.
    "When you are chewing the bars at the business end of a 90 mile road race you really dont care what gear you have hanging from your bike so long as it works."
    ΛΧΑ ΔΞ179 - 15% off your first Hammer Nutrition order!

  12. #12
    ?
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    2,733
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sugoi and Castelli Pioggio


    + Sealskinz.

  13. #13
    Senior Member aicabsolut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Washington, DC
    My Bikes
    2006 Specialized Roubaix Comp
    Posts
    1,505
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FatguyRacer View Post
    its been my considered experince that in anything more than a light drizzel, there is nothing that will keep you completely dry. As long as the covers have a hole for the clete and the shoes have vent holes for air flow, your feet will get wet. The closest i've come to dry feet is waterproof socks AND shoe covers.

    http://www.sealskinz.com/
    +1

    Also note that the seams and zipper area are usually not waterproof.

    Plus, unless you're duct taping them to your legs, water is going to get down in them from the top as well as through the bottom of your shoe in any real rain. Maybe you can lessen the amount you'll be wringing out of your socks at the end, but I don't think you can truly eliminate the squish factor.

  14. #14
    Sensible shoes. CastIron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    St. Paul,MN
    My Bikes
    A few.
    Posts
    8,799
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have these and beg to differ. They help, more so if you tape the vent holes, but still only delay wet feet.

    Quote Originally Posted by Enthalpic View Post
    I have these, ugly but pretty much impenetrable.



    http://www.sugoi.ca/item/86977/SUG95050U
    Mike
    Quote Originally Posted by cedricbosch View Post
    It looks silly when you have quotes from other forum members in your signature. Nobody on this forum is that funny.
    Quote Originally Posted by cedricbosch View Post
    Why am I in your signature.

  15. #15
    Senior Member Stallionforce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Victoria
    My Bikes
    05 Norco CRR Team Carbon Dura Ace, 06 Cervelo P2C TT Dura Ace, 88 Olmo Steelie w. Campy Mirage, Cypress CX w. 105
    Posts
    1,372
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've tried a lot of shoe covers but ended up using your standard neoprene on the outside and a goretex waterproof sock inside. Keeps your feet dry, anyway, but not necessarily warm. That's a whole other kettle of fish...

  16. #16
    ub3r n00b Youngin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Minnesota
    My Bikes
    Bianchi Via Nirone, Trek 6000SS, Zebrakanko FG
    Posts
    1,368
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For me in cold or wet weather I've always kept dry by the tried and true (for me!) method.
    1. Sock+Foot+Shoe
    2. Tighten shoe up
    3. Plastic bag OVER shoe, not in shoe, learned my lesson with that already!
    4. Old black dress sock (stretch very well) over plastic bag and shoe.
    5. Poke a small hole in the middle of the cleat area in the sock and stretch it over the cleat, pull back the bag when you do that too.

    6. Dry and warm feet! Works for all temps for me and I don't get wet just maybe sweaty, but its nice cause your feet are warm.

  17. #17
    Occasionally Here ft_critical's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    αιθήρ
    My Bikes
    Secret......
    Posts
    314
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This works in a shower, but in real rain nothing works for more than 30min.

    The rain comes down your leg and in through the top of the boot - even if you pull leg warmers over the top of the booties. Most of the booties themselves are waterproof. Now wet suit trousers and booties... well then you are in business.

  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    377
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ft_critical View Post
    This works in a shower, but in real rain nothing works for more than 30min.

    The rain comes down your leg and in through the top of the boot - even if you pull leg warmers over the top of the booties. Most of the booties themselves are waterproof. Now wet suit trousers and booties... well then you are in business.
    cdr has a good post on this somewhere (yeah I know, that's like saying there's a good book SOMEWHERE in the Library of Congress). As I recall the trick was taping the top of the bag around your shin. Shaved legs would obviously help in this case. I find that my shoe covers (PI neoprene ones) work fine until water drips down my leg and wicks it into my shoe... However, aside from the extra weight the water adds (not the 4 donuts I ate for breakfast) I've never had an issue with wet feet.

  19. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    6,374
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stallionforce View Post
    I've tried a lot of shoe covers but ended up using your standard neoprene on the outside and a goretex waterproof sock inside. Keeps your feet dry, anyway, but not necessarily warm. That's a whole other kettle of fish...
    I have those and think they're the worst money I've ever spent. They are like buckets, they get water inside (from running down legs), and it stays there. Coldest my feet have ever been was wearing those things.

  20. #20
    . botto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    40,335
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bdcheung View Post
    Waterproof Shoe Covers
    don't exist.

  21. #21
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    MD
    Posts
    773
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MDcatV View Post
    I have those and think they're the worst money I've ever spent. They are like buckets, they get water inside (from running down legs), and it stays there. Coldest my feet have ever been was wearing those things.
    And they are so uncomfortable. Who thought having the seems where toes nails are was a good idea?

  22. #22
    Carpe Diem bdcheung's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    MABRA
    My Bikes
    2007 CAAD9; 2008 Giant Bowery; 2008 Surly Crosscheck
    Posts
    13,130
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botto View Post
    don't exist.
    I'm realizing that. Guess I need to ride in the rain more and desensitize myself. The weird thing is that I love riding in the rain, I just hate soggy socks.

    What about going sockless?
    "When you are chewing the bars at the business end of a 90 mile road race you really dont care what gear you have hanging from your bike so long as it works."
    ΛΧΑ ΔΞ179 - 15% off your first Hammer Nutrition order!

  23. #23
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    6,374
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bdcheung View Post
    I'm realizing that. Guess I need to ride in the rain more and desensitize myself. The weird thing is that I love riding in the rain, I just hate soggy socks.

    What about going sockless?
    didnt someone recently say you've been on BF too long to ask such noob questions?

    bitterken

    And they are so uncomfortable. Who thought having the seems where toes nails are was a good idea?
    agree, 100%

  24. #24
    Carpe Diem bdcheung's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    MABRA
    My Bikes
    2007 CAAD9; 2008 Giant Bowery; 2008 Surly Crosscheck
    Posts
    13,130
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MDcatV View Post
    didnt someone recently say you've been on BF too long to ask such noob questions?
    im still a cat4 n00b.
    "When you are chewing the bars at the business end of a 90 mile road race you really dont care what gear you have hanging from your bike so long as it works."
    ΛΧΑ ΔΞ179 - 15% off your first Hammer Nutrition order!

  25. #25
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    377
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by currand View Post
    cdr has a good post on this somewhere (yeah I know, that's like saying there's a good book SOMEWHERE in the Library of Congress). As I recall the trick was taping the top of the bag around your shin. Shaved legs would obviously help in this case. I find that my shoe covers (PI neoprene ones) work fine until water drips down my leg and wicks it into my shoe... However, aside from the extra weight the water adds (not the 4 donuts I ate for breakfast) I've never had an issue with wet feet.
    select needle FROM haystack WHERE post CONTAINS "wet feet bag";

    http://sprinterdellacasa.blogspot.co...your-feet.html

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •