Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Senior Member chinotex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX
    My Bikes
    2007 Trek 1500
    Posts
    663
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Coldspring, TX - Course Advice?

    Hey y'all, I'm riding the Medical Colleagues of Texas Road Race in Coldspring, TX this weekend for the first time. Anyone that's ridden this before, and advice regarding the course? I'm doing the Cat-5 30 mile race, so it's just two laps.

    thanks for any help.
    2007 Trek 1500; 2008 Raleigh One-Way

    "R[ide] with the swift, in the hopes of one day finishing second." -John J. McCloy

  2. #2
    Senior Member ravenmore's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    8,059
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yeah, show up at the starting line and go like h3ll.

    (sorry - venting 'cause I can't make the friggin' race...)
    Ravenmore's Pictures
    Ravenmore's Photo Blog

    Mean people are like slinkys. They're really not worth much but still are rather entertaining to watch tumble down the stairs.

  3. #3
    ride lots be safe Creakyknees's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    5,088
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Stay near the front.

    Don't cross the centerline.

    If you're still with the leaders at the top of the big hill, attack and work with whoever comes with you.

  4. #4
    Senior Member chinotex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX
    My Bikes
    2007 Trek 1500
    Posts
    663
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    how are the roads? Is there much chipseal?
    2007 Trek 1500; 2008 Raleigh One-Way

    "R[ide] with the swift, in the hopes of one day finishing second." -John J. McCloy

  5. #5
    Senior Member Houston_Biker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Houston, TX
    My Bikes
    Litespeed Saber, Fuji Team LE
    Posts
    162
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Chinotex,

    What did you think of the race? I did the race and rode for Team Lone Star Bicycles.

    I managed 5th despite getting VERY tired on the long uphill finish.

    I thought it was a fun race. I was upfront a lot but not working very hard when I was up front...

    A teammate was part of the two man or three man break that eventually got caught...

    Steve

  6. #6
    Senior Member chinotex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX
    My Bikes
    2007 Trek 1500
    Posts
    663
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a great time... 5th is d@mn good! I'm pleased as heck that I had at least 14 people finish after I did It's an improvement from my last race in New Braunfels, when I was 3rd from last.

    I had fun in the pack while I was there... I lasted until the first lap at the finish line hill. I was the guy who coasted past everyone else going down the hill, and then got passed by EVERYONE on the way back up. I was getting frustrated in the pack going down the hills, having to tap the brakes every few seconds, but I guess that's what I get for not getting rid of my beer belly yet.

    The sprint to the finish line was killer (even though I was so far back). I passed one guy about 2 miles before the finish, and he was with me up until the sprint... I was working really hard to beat him, because at that point I didn't know if I was the last one or not -- I only found out later, while I was trying not to pass out from the sprint up the hill, that there were so many people behind me.

    Anyone going to the Sugar Land crit tomorrow? I was planning on going to watch the P,1,2's at 1030. (I've never done a crit before, and want to see one first so I can understand what I'd be getting into). It would probably be a good idea for me to watch the 5's, but that's at 7 AM and there's no way I'm getting down to Sugar Land by 7.
    2007 Trek 1500; 2008 Raleigh One-Way

    "R[ide] with the swift, in the hopes of one day finishing second." -John J. McCloy

  7. #7
    Senior Member Houston_Biker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Houston, TX
    My Bikes
    Litespeed Saber, Fuji Team LE
    Posts
    162
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chinotex View Post
    I had a great time... 5th is d@mn good! I'm pleased as heck that I had at least 14 people finish after I did It's an improvement from my last race in New Braunfels, when I was 3rd from last.

    I had fun in the pack while I was there... I lasted until the first lap at the finish line hill. I was the guy who coasted past everyone else going down the hill, and then got passed by EVERYONE on the way back up. I was getting frustrated in the pack going down the hills, having to tap the brakes every few seconds, but I guess that's what I get for not getting rid of my beer belly yet.

    The sprint to the finish line was killer (even though I was so far back). I passed one guy about 2 miles before the finish, and he was with me up until the sprint... I was working really hard to beat him, because at that point I didn't know if I was the last one or not -- I only found out later, while I was trying not to pass out from the sprint up the hill, that there were so many people behind me.


    Anyone going to the Sugar Land crit tomorrow? I was planning on going to watch the P,1,2's at 1030. (I've never done a crit before, and want to see one first so I can understand what I'd be getting into). It would probably be a good idea for me to watch the 5's, but that's at 7 AM and there's no way I'm getting down to Sugar Land by 7.
    I am racing in the 4/5 tomorrow. Yep, it's early!

    I will be my first crit! Wish me luck.

    Steve

  8. #8
    Senior Member chinotex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX
    My Bikes
    2007 Trek 1500
    Posts
    663
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Houston_Biker View Post
    I am racing in the 4/5 tomorrow. Yep, it's early!

    I will be my first crit! Wish me luck.

    Steve
    I actually think I'm going to try it out, I may be there. Good luck!
    2007 Trek 1500; 2008 Raleigh One-Way

    "R[ide] with the swift, in the hopes of one day finishing second." -John J. McCloy

  9. #9
    Senior Member ravenmore's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    8,059
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    how'd it go?
    Ravenmore's Pictures
    Ravenmore's Photo Blog

    Mean people are like slinkys. They're really not worth much but still are rather entertaining to watch tumble down the stairs.

  10. #10
    Hook Em
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    ATX
    Posts
    761
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chinotex View Post
    I actually think I'm going to try it out, I may be there. Good luck!
    If your last race was New Braunfels, I might have raced you. It sounds like you raced cat5's??? If you did, we might have seen each other/met and not known it.
    Quote Originally Posted by rangerdavid View Post
    some people have an amazing command of the obviious.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •