Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-03-08, 09:38 AM   #1
ridethecliche
Village Idiot
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Bahstaaaaan
Bikes:
Posts: 20,241
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Weekend race reports!

Give me something to do while I'm forced to sit in bed doing nothing.
Post 'em here!
ridethecliche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-08, 11:21 AM   #2
Enthalpic
Killing Rabbits
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 5,171
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
I did a TT this morning, that is all.

This afternoons Crit and tomorrows road race might be worth a more detailed report.
Enthalpic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-08, 11:29 AM   #3
redmist
outside agitator
 
redmist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: LES
Bikes:
Posts: 566
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i had my 2nd ever race this morning- cat 5 Cadence Series in Prospect Park, Bklyn. long story short, last lap, i got dropped on the short climb 2 miles from the finish. i felt lame and weak. i'm not good at climbs and i could probably stand to lose 5 more pounds (my heavy, old-school, steel bike (21 lbs) could probably afford to lose 5 lbs as well). i got a calf cramp (again) on the last lap on a short climb. but the truth is, i would have gotten dropped without the cramp (i think).

i drank water all day the day before and had a protein shake in the morning. i even took an enduralyte pill to combat the cramp, still didn't help. i think i have to train harder. i'm new to racing and riding, and my training before 4 weeks ago was limited to running 5 miles (38 mins) and gym workouts. i'm looking to do more cycle specific training. i know i'm stronger than a lot of the guys that beat me

the highlight of my race was late into it, i was getting bored with guys on the brakes on the downhill, so i took off and attacked knowing full well that i'd be caught. at least i made them shout at each other to bridge the gap. it was fun to be in the lead- even for 3 minutes.



Last edited by redmist; 05-03-08 at 11:50 AM.
redmist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-08, 11:39 AM   #4
Enthalpic
Killing Rabbits
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 5,171
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by redmist View Post

i drank water all day the day before
Unless you were dehydrated from hard training/racing from two days ago, excessive water consumption is not a good idea. It washes out good stuff like electrolytes and water soluble vitamins.

A big drink of water with a meal is usually enough to rehydrate healthy persons. Other than that just sip on sports drink after breakfast the day of the race.
Enthalpic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-08, 01:35 PM   #5
Frunkin
nom nom nom
 
Frunkin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Wisconsin
Bikes: Lemond Tete de Course, Slingshot DDX, Fuji Track Pro, Surly Steamroller
Posts: 2,096
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
4th in the Baraboo RR. Thats good for $20 and 10% of my upgrade to the 3's.
Frunkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-08, 01:48 PM   #6
kniprm
Back on the Yam-Yam
 
kniprm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Bikes:
Posts: 367
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by redmist View Post
i had my 2nd ever race this morning- cat 5 Cadence Series in Prospect Park, Bklyn. long story short, last lap, i got dropped on the short climb 2 miles from the finish. i felt lame and weak. i'm not good at climbs and i could probably stand to lose 5 more pounds (my heavy, old-school, steel bike (21 lbs) could probably afford to lose 5 lbs as well). i got a calf cramp (again) on the last lap on a short climb. but the truth is, i would have gotten dropped without the cramp (i think).

i drank water all day the day before and had a protein shake in the morning. i even took an enduralyte pill to combat the cramp, still didn't help. i think i have to train smarter. i'm new to racing and riding, and my training before 4 weeks ago was limited to running 5 miles (38 mins) and gym workouts. i'm looking to do more cycle specific training. i know i'm stronger than a lot of the guys that beat me

the highlight of my race was late into it, i was getting bored with guys on the brakes on the downhill, so i took off and attacked knowing full well that i'd be caught. at least i made them shout at each other to bridge the gap. it was fun to be in the lead- even for 3 minutes.


fixed

harder= burnout
smarter= results
kniprm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-08, 01:49 PM   #7
kensuf
My idea of fun
 
kensuf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Gainesville, FL
Bikes: '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '02 Kona Lavadome, '07 Giant TCR Advanced, '07 Karate Monkey
Posts: 9,804
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridethecliche View Post
Give me something to do while I'm forced to sit in bed doing nothing.
Post 'em here!
I didn't race today because I had to do computer support for this guy.



He's an astronomer, and rumor has it a pretty decent guitarist, and I can say he's an all around nice guy.
kensuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-08, 02:17 PM   #8
VosBike
Outgunned and outclassed
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: The Springs, CO
Bikes:
Posts: 998
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
For the first time since February, I'm not racing this weekend! Hooray beer!

Like reading the reports though boys, god work.
VosBike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-08, 02:36 PM   #9
MDcatV
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 6,760
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
In the "making it to the starting line is half the battle" mold, I was at the poolesville road race today, warming up on some roads and got sideswiped by a car, ended up on the asphalt, again (3rd time in the past month). Dude was an older guy who simply didnt see me, it was an accident, guy was apologetic, and concerned with my welfare. Good on him, no ill will but to pay attention to your surroundings - me and him both - especially when there are like 400 racers in the area where you're driving.

Fell on my left side, again, rashed up my elbow and hip on skin that was still covered in tegaderm, and added a nice spot of no skin on my shoulder, and left knuckles.

Bike seemed OK, so a quick trip to the EMT to get bandaged up and I was off to catch the Cat 3/4 field during the neutral start. Each lap of this race has a 2-ish mile gravel section that is currently dry, very hardpacked, and littered with potholes, big ones. First trip through the gravel, I'm top 5, good position, clicking along, then I hit a row of potholes (there are so many it's not avoidable). My handlebars rotated forward (down) when I hit the potholes, which pulled all the cables on my brakes. I was going along at like 500W and losing ground wondering WTF? Then I hit another row of potholes and handlebars rotated so the drops were nearly pointing upwards, both brakes are pulled taught, and I'm skidding. Stayed upright, but had to stop and get off the bike. Couldnt get my bars to budge so I got a tool from a follow vehicle and spent a few minutes getting things right - game over on the race. It was a beautiful day weather wise so I tooled around and watched the various races while they were going on, found a few dudes who also either had mechanicals, flats, crashed, got behind crashes, found my coach, and we just rode some good hard tempo for a couple hours.

Sucky day racewise, but any time I encounter a bike on car incident, I know I'm lucky when I walk away from it.

Now, I've got to go clean out my elbow, hip, shoulder, knuckles, where ever else I've lost more skin, again. I swear, I've crashed now 6 times in my bicycling life, 3 since mid April. I know some folks on this forum have fared far worse than I, but I cant help but feel pretty frustrated right now.
MDcatV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-08, 02:48 PM   #10
Nickel
Splicer of Molecules
 
Nickel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: A less cold place
Bikes: Giant
Posts: 1,723
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My left leg stopped working. Do you know what it is like to pedal one-legged in 25mph wind in order to avoid a DNF?

Nickel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-08, 02:50 PM   #11
chinotex
Senior Member
 
chinotex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Houston, TX
Bikes: 2007 Trek 1500
Posts: 663
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Coldspring, TX - My second race of the season, and ever. There was beautiful weather, it took me a good 12 miles before going OTB, then passed the one rider in front of me with 2.5 miles to go, and beat him up the final hill. I was like, "Yes! Not-last! Goals for the day met!"

Then, as I was recovering from the last climb/sprint to the finish line (I had to lay down, felt like I was either going to pass out or vomit), one of the other guys counted 14 Cat-5 guys come in after me. From 3rd-from-last in my first race, to at least 15th-from-last in my second race. Workin' my way up. Watch out...
chinotex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-08, 02:54 PM   #12
Chucklehead
Whateverthehell
 
Chucklehead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: U.S.S.A.
Bikes: '06 Blue Competition RC5AL w/ritchey pro fork, spinergy stealth PBO, etc.
Posts: 7,433
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Raced the Barrio Logan Crit this morning. Felt good physically, but thought I was retiring due to a flat after the thrid lap. Rear end felt squishy, so I raised my hand to let everyone know i was pulling off. Friend rolled by and asked what was wrong, then pointed out that my tire looked fine. Chased back onto the back of the pack, then flet the same thing. Looked down and could SWEAR i saw my QR spinning like it was loose. Slowed again, took a closer look and it was fine. WTF. Chased back on again and immediately started working forward. Someone bobbled in front of me and went wide, forcing me to hop the curb onto the sidewalk and clip a "no parking" sign. Stayed upright, hopped back onto the road and someone said "Gutsiest move I ever saw, Mav!"
Continued to move forward, then had to slow for a solo crash with one to go. Regain my spot, worked into the top ten or so, then got caught behind another crash with two corners left and finished 20th(75 field). Very interesting race. One of those where I was just happy to make it through without losing any blood or skin. Bike is also in one piece except where the sign tore off some bar tape.
__________________
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return." - Leonardo daVinci
Chucklehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-08, 05:40 PM   #13
John Wilke
Senior Member
 
John Wilke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Milwaukee
Bikes:
Posts: 3,915
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frunkin View Post
4th in the Baraboo RR. Thats good for $20 and 10% of my upgrade to the 3's.
And well earned too. 41F, windy, rainy, and NOT flat:



Yeah, I'm standing next to the road.

More pics later.

Okay ... one more now.

John Wilke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-08, 06:37 PM   #14
chinotex
Senior Member
 
chinotex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Houston, TX
Bikes: 2007 Trek 1500
Posts: 663
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Wilke View Post
that's not natural. I don't know how you photoshopped it to make it look like that, but you did. That's a stupidly steep hill... I hope the downhill before it was just as good.
chinotex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-08, 06:51 PM   #15
Lithuania
Oh The Huge Manatee
 
Lithuania's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: mabra
Bikes:
Posts: 4,528
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDcatV View Post
In the "making it to the starting line is half the battle" mold, I was at the poolesville road race today, warming up on some roads and got sideswiped by a car, ended up on the asphalt, again (3rd time in the past month). Dude was an older guy who simply didnt see me, it was an accident, guy was apologetic, and concerned with my welfare. Good on him, no ill will but to pay attention to your surroundings - me and him both - especially when there are like 400 racers in the area where you're driving.

Fell on my left side, again, rashed up my elbow and hip on skin that was still covered in tegaderm, and added a nice spot of no skin on my shoulder, and left knuckles.

Bike seemed OK, so a quick trip to the EMT to get bandaged up and I was off to catch the Cat 3/4 field during the neutral start. Each lap of this race has a 2-ish mile gravel section that is currently dry, very hardpacked, and littered with potholes, big ones. First trip through the gravel, I'm top 5, good position, clicking along, then I hit a row of potholes (there are so many it's not avoidable). My handlebars rotated forward (down) when I hit the potholes, which pulled all the cables on my brakes. I was going along at like 500W and losing ground wondering WTF? Then I hit another row of potholes and handlebars rotated so the drops were nearly pointing upwards, both brakes are pulled taught, and I'm skidding. Stayed upright, but had to stop and get off the bike. Couldnt get my bars to budge so I got a tool from a follow vehicle and spent a few minutes getting things right - game over on the race. It was a beautiful day weather wise so I tooled around and watched the various races while they were going on, found a few dudes who also either had mechanicals, flats, crashed, got behind crashes, found my coach, and we just rode some good hard tempo for a couple hours.

Sucky day racewise, but any time I encounter a bike on car incident, I know I'm lucky when I walk away from it.

Now, I've got to go clean out my elbow, hip, shoulder, knuckles, where ever else I've lost more skin, again. I swear, I've crashed now 6 times in my bicycling life, 3 since mid April. I know some folks on this forum have fared far worse than I, but I cant help but feel pretty frustrated right now.
jesus, what the heck is going on around here? Im glad you are relatively ok. Sounds like this race was just not meant to happen for us this year.
Lithuania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-08, 07:22 PM   #16
ilpirata87
talentless cat 2 hack
 
ilpirata87's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: the C-Boro, NC
Bikes: steel ones
Posts: 281
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Dilworth Crit 2/3 race. Staged at the back as usual, so I spent the whole race trying to move up thru the pack, which was difficult given the narrow roads, extremely sharp corner which was navigated excruciatingly slowly by the pack, and grinding hill. The times I did get near the front I was gassed from the effort of moving up and ended up at the back again. I ended up 24th out of maybe 60. Fun race, good crowd.

Oh and that really sucks that everyone on this forum seems to be having a run of bad luck. Hope everyone ends up ok and no one else has a run in with fate...
ilpirata87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-08, 08:20 PM   #17
Enthalpic
Killing Rabbits
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 5,171
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Afternoon crit was hard, but kept the rubber side down at least.
Enthalpic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-08, 09:57 PM   #18
Youngin
ub3r n00b
 
Youngin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Minnesota
Bikes: Bianchi Via Nirone, Trek 6000SS, Zebrakanko FG
Posts: 1,368
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
2nd in Juniors. Followed the super cat 1/2 junior and he helped me finish. Breakaway on the big hill and kept it there with the downhill and tailwind to the finish.
Youngin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-08, 01:16 AM   #19
John Wilke
Senior Member
 
John Wilke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Milwaukee
Bikes:
Posts: 3,915
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chinotex View Post
that's not natural. I don't know how you photoshopped it to make it look like that, but you did. That's a stupidly steep hill... I hope the downhill before it was just as good.
No smoke or mirrors ... but you're right, it's just stupid steep.

I'll have more later today.

John Wilke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-08, 02:43 AM   #20
ft_critical
Occasionally Here
 
ft_critical's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: αιθήρ
Bikes: Secret......
Posts: 314
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Moved up a grade. Road Race. Bridged and tried to continue the attack. There is nothing worse as you roll to the back after your pull in the breakaway than the pack being there just crusing along - smiling at you - "you guys gonna keep going and tow us all along?"
Bridged and attacked again - same, lazy pack. Needed a rest in the middle.
Beautiful sunny day for racing. No wind.
Attacked a hill and got 50m break. Died on the next hill and got spat out the back. Just couldn't hold them.
On the flat I tried to bridge. I collected a train of passangers dropped in the charge for the line. It was possible to bridge if I just gave everything. They all sprinted past me at the line, @#$tards. We didn't bridge. Man I could have been in it if I had just waited. But my legs; they wanted to go, I couldn't wait..... Avg 37 kph
Next week.
ft_critical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-08, 02:55 AM   #21
rollin
Sua Ku
 
rollin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Hot as hell, Singapore
Bikes: Trek 5200, BMC SLC01, BMC SSX, Specialized FSR, Holdsworth Criterium
Posts: 5,707
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chinotex View Post
that's not natural. I don't know how you photoshopped it to make it look like that, but you did. That's a stupidly steep hill... I hope the downhill before it was just as good.
+1
rollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-08, 07:10 AM   #22
ridethecliche
Village Idiot
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Bahstaaaaan
Bikes:
Posts: 20,241
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lithuania View Post
jesus, what the heck is going on around here? Im glad you are relatively ok. Sounds like this race was just not meant to happen for us this year.
+1
I'm bummed about being off the bike, but I'm even more bummed about not being around the seniors before they graduate or finishing the semester with my classmates.
ridethecliche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-08, 07:23 AM   #23
substructure
RustyTainte
 
substructure's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: 28012
Bikes: zilch
Posts: 12,343
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilpirata87 View Post
Dilworth Crit 2/3 race. Staged at the back as usual, so I spent the whole race trying to move up thru the pack, which was difficult given the narrow roads, extremely sharp corner which was navigated excruciatingly slowly by the pack, and grinding hill. The times I did get near the front I was gassed from the effort of moving up and ended up at the back again. I ended up 24th out of maybe 60. Fun race, good crowd.

Oh and that really sucks that everyone on this forum seems to be having a run of bad luck. Hope everyone ends up ok and no one else has a run in with fate...
I enjoyed watching this race more than the pro race actually. A good friend just became a cat3 and said this race was excruciating for most of the 3s.
substructure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-08, 09:12 AM   #24
ilpirata87
talentless cat 2 hack
 
ilpirata87's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: the C-Boro, NC
Bikes: steel ones
Posts: 281
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by substructure View Post
I enjoyed watching this race more than the pro race actually. A good friend just became a cat3 and said this race was excruciating for most of the 3s.
Sure was. Some cat 3 won the field sprint for 5th though... I should have manned up and tried to work my way up near the end but I was hurting and it was super sketch. That's really no excuse
ilpirata87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-08, 01:37 PM   #25
Houston_Biker
Senior Member
 
Houston_Biker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Houston, TX
Bikes: Litespeed Saber, Fuji Team LE
Posts: 161
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Did my first crit in Sugarland, TX. Have done several road races, but never a crit.

It was a lot of fun. I raced 4/5. The course was through the town square in a .75 mile loop. Fairly technical but also well laid out and very safe. No crashes in my race which is pretty amazing!

A teammate won the race and I finished middle of the pack at 18th.

I certainly learned a lot and should continue to improve my standing.

Steve
Houston_Biker is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:22 AM.