Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    Slow'n'Aero DrWJODonnell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Driving the pace in the crosswind
    Posts
    2,599
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    High Point Hillclimb TT Non-non race report

    Found here.

    Short version: Foggy and canceled mid race, just before Pcad had his chance to dominate the field. Likely, the fog would have been swept away in his wake, so they should have let him go first.

    For me? I clung and managed 2nd place. Happy result for a non-climber dude.

  2. #2
    Senior Member Bnjmn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    325
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How much do you weigh? A 380 watt avg. seems like it would go a long way on your frame.

  3. #3
    Slow'n'Aero DrWJODonnell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Driving the pace in the crosswind
    Posts
    2,599
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This morning, 159. It isn't bad, but I think the winning time clipped me by about 40 seconds, so it obviously is not enough.

    Maybe another 40 watts?

  4. #4
    Peloton Dog patentcad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Chester, NY
    My Bikes
    2013 Scott Foil, 2009 Scott Addict R2, 2008 Cervelo P3 TT bike, 2008 Motobecane Fly Ti Hard Tail MTB
    Posts
    56,102
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Results should be thrown out for the NJ TT Cup or the event rescheduled, no?

  5. #5
    Senior Member Bnjmn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    325
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I don't know diddly but it seems you made the right choice in going aero. The extra 3lbs or whatever barely nicks your w/kg and you obviously experienced the aero benefit.

  6. #6
    Peloton Dog patentcad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Chester, NY
    My Bikes
    2013 Scott Foil, 2009 Scott Addict R2, 2008 Cervelo P3 TT bike, 2008 Motobecane Fly Ti Hard Tail MTB
    Posts
    56,102
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Aero on that course seems a bit pointless. I've ridden it 5-6x, raced it once. You'd see what I'm talking about. It's a 5.5 mile course and you're going over 20mph for about 1 mile. But if you don't lose climbing mojo on your TT bike, why not? I feel that I would. Maybe Will does not.

  7. #7
    Making a kilometer blurry waterrockets's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Austin (near TX)
    My Bikes
    rkwaki's porn collection
    Posts
    26,078
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I think Aero helps a lot in that 14mph kind of range. Good work with AnalyticCycling and sticking with the data.

    379W. I'm nearly 20lbs heavier and would only expect 360-365W for that duration --- except I'd have to hold it longer than you

    Great work, and great fitness

  8. #8
    Slow'n'Aero DrWJODonnell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Driving the pace in the crosswind
    Posts
    2,599
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by patentcad View Post
    Results should be thrown out for the NJ TT Cup or the event rescheduled, no?
    That decision is being made, but likely it will count as TT cup points only for the 1/2/3.

    Quote Originally Posted by patentcad View Post
    Aero on that course seems a bit pointless. I've ridden it 5-6x, raced it once. You'd see what I'm talking about. It's a 5.5 mile course and you're going over 20mph for about 1 mile. But if you don't lose climbing mojo on your TT bike, why not? I feel that I would. Maybe Will does not.
    I can't climb on either bike, so I figured the aero would be worth it. I was screaming by riders on the flat portions, even after the winner had passed me on the climbs. If you click on the link in the review, I actually have a youtube video for the viewing so people can see the course. I think for anyone putting out less than 300 watts, there is no way the aero (heavy) bike should be used. just not enough benefit. I do think if you are above 300 watts, you should consider it, but not if you lose 20 watts between a road bike and a TT bike.

    Quote Originally Posted by waterrockets View Post
    Yeah, I think Aero helps a lot in that 14mph kind of range. Good work with AnalyticCycling and sticking with the data.

    379W. I'm nearly 20lbs heavier and would only expect 360-365W for that duration --- except I'd have to hold it longer than you

    Great work, and great fitness
    Coach Figured this:
    13.9% of total time above 25mph with 56% of time under 14mph. The remaining time was in that undetermined zone 14-24mph (30%).

    In addition, the average speed was 15.7 mph. I think that i got a few seconds of savings with it.

    By no means was anything a HUGE advantage. but I do think I used the right bike. Maybe not. Had to try though!

  9. #9
    Making a kilometer blurry waterrockets's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Austin (near TX)
    My Bikes
    rkwaki's porn collection
    Posts
    26,078
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DrWJODonnell View Post
    Coach Figured this:
    13.9% of total time above 25mph with 56% of time under 14mph. The remaining time was in that undetermined zone 14-24mph (30%).
    Have you looked at the speed distribution yet? It would be interesting to see how close his predictions were.

  10. #10
    Slow'n'Aero DrWJODonnell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Driving the pace in the crosswind
    Posts
    2,599
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by waterrockets View Post
    Have you looked at the speed distribution yet? It would be interesting to see how close his predictions were.
    Those were the actual distributions.

  11. #11
    Making a kilometer blurry waterrockets's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Austin (near TX)
    My Bikes
    rkwaki's porn collection
    Posts
    26,078
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gotcha. Cool.

  12. #12
    Peloton Dog patentcad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Chester, NY
    My Bikes
    2013 Scott Foil, 2009 Scott Addict R2, 2008 Cervelo P3 TT bike, 2008 Motobecane Fly Ti Hard Tail MTB
    Posts
    56,102
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Will, what was your actual time? How did Ken Lundgren do?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •