Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-22-08, 09:19 AM   #1
botto 
.
Thread Starter
 
botto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 40,364
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Race Report (May 21st) with bonus material.

I raced last night.

Niki Terpstra was there.

So was Steven Rooks.

Plus a bunch of other guys.

Other than an impressive demonstration by Terpstra, it was a boring race.

That is all.



epilogue

Racing the night before a planned 5.5 hour ride shouldn't be that big of a deal.

Unless your post race meal consists of 4 pints, a packet of crisps, and sitting in a smoky pub, shouting at football match being played in Moscow.

Fortunately my training partners took pity on me for the first 2 hours.



shock, horror, the road actually bends.



contemporary dutch landscape.
botto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-08, 09:42 AM   #2
Bob Dopolina 
Mr. Dopolina
 
Bob Dopolina's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Taiwan
Bikes: KUUPAS, Simpson VR
Posts: 9,968
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Although I really liked the reverence given to the bike by the Dutch (and the chant the have at football matches against German clubs; "Give us back our bikes") the riding is fantastically boring until you get nearer the Belgian border.

I take it you've returned to civilization?
__________________
BLOG of BOB: Old Guy Racer
BDop Cycling Company Ltd.: bdopcycling.com, facebook
Bob Dopolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-08, 09:46 AM   #3
botto 
.
Thread Starter
 
botto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 40,364
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dopolina View Post
Although I really liked the reverence given to the bike by the Dutch (and the chant the have at football matches against German clubs; "Give us back our bikes") the riding is fantastically boring until you get nearer the Belgian border.
no arguments here.

the route of todays ride has to be one of the most monotonous rides ever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dopolina View Post
I take it you've returned to civilization?
close enough.

Last edited by botto; 05-22-08 at 09:59 AM.
botto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-08, 09:56 AM   #4
Second Mouse
....gets the cheese
 
Second Mouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: SLC, Utah
Bikes: Panasonic DX 2000, LeMond Reno, Canondale Caad 8
Posts: 2,539
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by botto View Post
I raced last night.

Niki Terpstra was there.

So was Steven Rooks.

Plus a bunch of other guys.

Other than an impressive demonstration by Terpstra,
it was a boring race.

That is all.


I know we approach these race reports from opposite ends of the spectrum, but this does not constitute a race report, even for you. How'd you do? Did you kick that skinny Dutch kid's ass?
Second Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-08, 10:02 AM   #5
botto 
.
Thread Starter
 
botto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 40,364
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Second Mouse View Post
I know we approach these race reports from opposite ends of the spectrum, but this does not constitute a race report, even for you. How'd you do? Did you kick that skinny Dutch kid's ass?
this sums up the race:

jump. work. sit. work. sit up.

wait.

attack. wait. work. sit. sit. work. counter. sit up.

wait.

watch. watch. watch. jump. bridge. sit. sit up.

wait.

attack. work. sit. sit. wait. work. sit up. counter. caught.

repeat.

sprint.
botto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-08, 10:02 AM   #6
steaktaco
bannned
 
steaktaco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: philadelphia
Bikes: black bike, white bike, blue bike, yellow bike, silver bike
Posts: 2,228
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It's cool that they watch football out there and all... but do they know it's not actually in season? Are they watching reruns like on FEN?
__________________
steaktaco.com <-- poohoopsies.

steaktaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-08, 10:07 AM   #7
botto 
.
Thread Starter
 
botto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 40,364
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by steaktaco View Post
It's cool that they watch football out there and all... but do they know it's not actually in season? Are they watching reruns like on FEN?
botto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-08, 10:07 AM   #8
daytonian
elitist jerk
 
daytonian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Blow - hio
Bikes: CAAD9
Posts: 4,188
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
did terpstra gap you guys? were his attacks with kid gloves or iron fist?
daytonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-08, 10:10 AM   #9
steaktaco
bannned
 
steaktaco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: philadelphia
Bikes: black bike, white bike, blue bike, yellow bike, silver bike
Posts: 2,228
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by botto View Post
You had to go and post a sensible response... something wrong with this picture.
__________________
steaktaco.com <-- poohoopsies.

steaktaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-08, 10:16 AM   #10
botto 
.
Thread Starter
 
botto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 40,364
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by daytonian View Post
did terpstra gap you guys? were his attacks with kid gloves or iron fist?
i took it for a test.

he took off from the back, and one guy was able to grab his wheel. i was part of a group that tried to bridge.

they were off the front for a few laps, i doubt the other guy did any work. everything became 'gruppo compatto', and he just hung out in the pack.
botto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-08, 10:19 AM   #11
Second Mouse
....gets the cheese
 
Second Mouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: SLC, Utah
Bikes: Panasonic DX 2000, LeMond Reno, Canondale Caad 8
Posts: 2,539
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by botto View Post
this sums up the race:

jump. work. sit. work. sit up.

wait.

attack. wait. work. sit. sit. work. counter. sit up.

wait.

watch. watch. watch. jump. bridge. sit. sit up.

wait.

attack. work. sit. sit. wait. work. sit up. counter. caught.

repeat.

sprint.

Wow, it's just like being there!
Second Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:56 PM.