Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-25-08, 01:13 PM   #1
patentcad
Peloton Shelter Dog
Thread Starter
 
patentcad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Chester, NY
Bikes: 2013 Scott Foil, 2016 Scott Addict, 2015 Scott Scale 700SL MTB
Posts: 59,579
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
It is never too late to get shelled, Exhibit 47.

So I make it up over the dreaded Scratchup Road combo to Rt. 9W on the Nyack Ride. I'm near the back but I'm on, we go over the last rise on 9W. It's all downhill from here to the base of the Hook Mtn. finishing climb. I figure I'm golden, I'll recover on the descent.

Incorrect.

Somebody up front was dropping the hammer, hard. We go over the top of the crest, the paceline is starting to gap me. ****. I dig down deeper, my shovel hits an anaerobic rock. There's not much left there. As we passed the Harley Davidson dealer, when I looked down at my speedo I was going 39.7 mph, I was just about spun out in a 53 x 11, I was getting friggin gapped (at almost 40mph) and.. I....had...NOTHIN'!!! Shelled @ mile 48 on a 50 miler.

Oh well. It was only 2 miles from the end. No great loss. I did climb the Mighty Hook solo, the other dropees were behind me, out of cellphone range. Good grief that stupid ride was ballistic today. Even Pcad gets shelled sometimes. Thankfully it doesn't happen too often anymore.

But it happened today. Oh yes indeed. God, I do suck at this. Now if you'll excuse me I have to go question my own self-worth and involvement in competitive cycling on any level.

Last edited by patentcad; 05-25-08 at 01:16 PM.
patentcad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-08, 03:54 PM   #2
pidda
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Berlin
Bikes: Canyon Ultimate CF, Moto LeChamp SL, Raleigh Rush Hour, Crescent MTB, Swedish Army issue bike
Posts: 99
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
39.7 mph in 53x11 = 105 rpm. Just saying
pidda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-08, 05:00 PM   #3
scottmorrison99
New! With Self Loathing!
 
scottmorrison99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Fairfield, California
Bikes: 2013 Jamis Xenith T time trial bike, 2013 Jamis Xenith Elite
Posts: 1,612
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Wow. That is fast.
__________________
Scotty

Weird Bike Guy Blog
scottmorrison99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-08, 05:23 PM   #4
Pablo.
...
 
Pablo.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: nyc
Bikes:
Posts: 978
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I was not dropped. Gimbels was fast today. We averaged 25.4 MPH.

That's fast.
Pablo. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-08, 05:27 PM   #5
patentcad
Peloton Shelter Dog
Thread Starter
 
patentcad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Chester, NY
Bikes: 2013 Scott Foil, 2016 Scott Addict, 2015 Scott Scale 700SL MTB
Posts: 59,579
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pidda View Post
39.7 mph in 53x11 = 105 rpm. Just saying
Yep. That was about right. If I had managed 130rpm @ mile 48, I might have gotten back on. Stupid riding on my part. Could have picked up 3-4 spots on that little rise before the descent. Didn't expect that acceleration there. F me.
patentcad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-08, 05:27 PM   #6
patentcad
Peloton Shelter Dog
Thread Starter
 
patentcad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Chester, NY
Bikes: 2013 Scott Foil, 2016 Scott Addict, 2015 Scott Scale 700SL MTB
Posts: 59,579
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo. View Post
I was not dropped. Gimbels was fast today. We averaged 25.4 MPH.

That's fast.
Yep. That's fast. Faster than Nyack was today. And Nyack was ballistic. Hard to compare, I'd have to see the terrain @ Gimbels. Average speed before we started going uphill was about 25mph, probably about 23.5 mph overall at the end. That does include a bunch of red light stops.

Last edited by patentcad; 05-25-08 at 05:34 PM.
patentcad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-08, 05:52 AM   #7
Pablo.
...
 
Pablo.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: nyc
Bikes:
Posts: 978
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by patentcad View Post
Yep. That's fast. Faster than Nyack was today. And Nyack was ballistic. Hard to compare, I'd have to see the terrain @ Gimbels. Average speed before we started going uphill was about 25mph, probably about 23.5 mph overall at the end. That does include a bunch of red light stops.
There is no such thing as a red light on Gimbels.
Pablo. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-08, 05:57 AM   #8
Pablo.
...
 
Pablo.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: nyc
Bikes:
Posts: 978
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by patentcad View Post
Yep. That's fast. Faster than Nyack was today. And Nyack was ballistic. Hard to compare, I'd have to see the terrain @ Gimbels. Average speed before we started going uphill was about 25mph, probably about 23.5 mph overall at the end. That does include a bunch of red light stops.
What's the terrain @ Nyack like? Gimbels has one big hill, followed by many little hills. We have something called the "double whammy" which are two hills on Purchase St. They aren't steep, but people attack like crazy there. The long ride is another story, lots of hills and prob the same speed as the regular ride or faster.

EDIT: Does Nyack have a relaxed rollout? Gimbels does and thats great, because you get an hour to see how your legs are.
Pablo. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-08, 09:18 AM   #9
brians647
R.E.Member
 
brians647's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: CT
Bikes: Cannondale, Kirk
Posts: 863
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by patentcad View Post
Even Pcad gets shelled sometimes. Thankfully it doesn't happen too often anymore.

But it happened today. Oh yes indeed. God, I do suck at this. Now if you'll excuse me I have to go question my own self-worth and involvement in competitive cycling on any level.
No, I think you need to ante up once more with some worthy shwag, my friend. Money = speed!
brians647 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-08, 09:25 AM   #10
patentcad
Peloton Shelter Dog
Thread Starter
 
patentcad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Chester, NY
Bikes: 2013 Scott Foil, 2016 Scott Addict, 2015 Scott Scale 700SL MTB
Posts: 59,579
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Pablo: Nyack does have a relaxed rollout for 20-30 mins, then the hammer drops. Don't worry about the terrain, if you can handle Gimbels you'll be OK on Nyack.

Brians: The Stages of Self Loathing are:

• Detonation

• Getting Shelled Like a Cheap Oyster

• Humiliation

• Disgust

• Self Hatred

• Depression

• Blogging on BF

• On line shopping

• Schwag Procurement

• Self Delusion

• More Competitive Riding

And then of course the cycle repeats itself. The path to Pcad Cycling Zen is circular, and expensive.

Of course when you don't get shelled it's always Big Fun.
patentcad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-08, 11:02 AM   #11
torps
goodspeed
 
torps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: NY
Bikes: Cervelo Team Soloist
Posts: 137
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo. View Post
There is no such thing as a red light on Gimbels.
Depends who's out front, but yeah... think we ran 3 reds on saturday. The one at the bronx river pkwy was nuts.
torps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-08, 11:27 AM   #12
Stallionforce
Senior Member
 
Stallionforce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Victoria
Bikes: 05 Norco CRR Team Carbon Dura Ace, 06 Cervelo P2C TT Dura Ace, 88 Olmo Steelie w. Campy Mirage, Cypress CX w. 105
Posts: 1,372
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This is why I ride by myself, and supply my own imaginary competitors, commentators, and even podium girls. I attack myself like silly, yet I never get dropped, and no matter how much red zone I run through, I always top the podium. It's awesome, try it. *Flexes Bicep*
Stallionforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-08, 12:04 PM   #13
waterrockets 
Making a kilometer blurry
 
waterrockets's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Austin (near TX)
Bikes: rkwaki's porn collection
Posts: 26,130
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Ouch. The times I've been dropped out of the lead break on the Tuesday Nighter were usually immediately following the biggest climb. You get all worked over, resign yourself to some recovery, and someone drills it. The gaps are huge, it's harder to keep up with the gear, you're already blown, and it just gets worse.

These days, I don't consider that hill to be over until about 500m after the crest. Lately I've been trying to attack over the top and lead the madness. Hurts like hell, but it's kept me from getting dropped. After that, there is some recovery once the rhythm settles in.

Congrats on hitting the wall though. It's a good feeling.
waterrockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-08, 12:12 PM   #14
yonderboy
Lurker for Life
 
yonderboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: PDX
Bikes:
Posts: 908
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by patentcad View Post
Somebody up front was dropping the hammer, hard. We go over the top of the crest, the paceline is starting to gap me. ****. I dig down deeper, my shovel hits an anaerobic rock. There's not much left there. As we passed the Harley Davidson dealer, when I looked down at my speedo I was going 39.7 mph, I was just about spun out in a 53 x 11, I was getting friggin gapped (at almost 40mph) and.. I....had...NOTHIN'!!! Shelled @ mile 48 on a 50 miler.
There's nothing quite like feeling completely spun out and watching the field slip away.

Post-shelling analysis for me has always proven that I chose too high of a gear to react to the acceleration in that situation. YMMV.
yonderboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-08, 12:30 PM   #15
Enthalpic
Killing Rabbits
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 5,168
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterrockets View Post
Ouch. The times I've been dropped out of the lead break on the Tuesday Nighter were usually immediately following the biggest climb. You get all worked over, resign yourself to some recovery, and someone drills it. The gaps are huge, it's harder to keep up with the gear, you're already blown, and it just gets worse.

These days, I don't consider that hill to be over until about 500m after the crest. Lately I've been trying to attack over the top and lead the madness. Hurts like hell, but it's kept me from getting dropped. After that, there is some recovery once the rhythm settles in.

Congrats on hitting the wall though. It's a good feeling.
"I attack when I am in pain. If I am in pain, the others must be dying" Wim Van Est

Someday I will be strong enough to convince myself of this.
Enthalpic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-08, 01:41 PM   #16
patentcad
Peloton Shelter Dog
Thread Starter
 
patentcad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Chester, NY
Bikes: 2013 Scott Foil, 2016 Scott Addict, 2015 Scott Scale 700SL MTB
Posts: 59,579
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
We only stop for red lights on Nyack if there's no choice. We probably hit 3 ourselves on Sunday. We probably poached twice as many. It's always that way. Half the ride is from NY City. There is a certain Bike Messenger/Latino culture on our ride. They don't need no stinkin' red lights.



In all honesty the red light poaching was just as bad before the Speedy Gonzalez contingent became regulars on the ride.

patentcad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-08, 01:51 PM   #17
patentcad
Peloton Shelter Dog
Thread Starter
 
patentcad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Chester, NY
Bikes: 2013 Scott Foil, 2016 Scott Addict, 2015 Scott Scale 700SL MTB
Posts: 59,579
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by yonderboy View Post
There's nothing quite like feeling completely spun out and watching the field slip away.

Post-shelling analysis for me has always proven that I chose too high of a gear to react to the acceleration in that situation. YMMV.
That was quite strange. I can't remember getting shelled on a descent before. Somebody had to be on the front pounding a 53 x 11 or 53 x 12 @ 130rpm+ to get them going that hard. If I had concentrated harder I never would have allowed any gap to open up, and I would have held the wheel. The gap was the problem yesterday. Wasn't expecting it, didn't think that would be a problem on a descent, couldn't close the gap once it opened and they dropped me. Live and learn.

One thing is for sure, the lower gear wouldn't have helped me in that situation. Not @ 39.5+ mph. Actually I find it's the reverse, when I'm on the rivet it's often the higher gear that will help me hang on. I have lots of experience in getting dropped, and in almost getting dropped but managing to hang on. That latter skill is how I make it to the end of these rides with guys like Dr. W. at the front driving the train.

I don't even know what the F I'm doing on the same Bike Forum, nation or planet with guys as fast as Dr. W. I should be riding a motorcycle in front of them with a guy on the back holding a chalkboard. But chasing them around on my bicycle is more fun (even if they do eject me out the rear now and again).
patentcad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-08, 05:27 PM   #18
SushiJoe
Knowing's half the battle
 
SushiJoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Omaha, NE
Bikes: 2009 Cannondale CAAD9 BB30, SRAM Red, Fulcrum Racing 3s
Posts: 6,119
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by patentcad View Post
Oh well. It was only 2 miles from the end. No great loss. I did climb the Mighty Hook solo, the other dropees were behind me, out of cellphone range. Good grief that stupid ride was ballistic today. Even Pcad gets shelled sometimes. Thankfully it doesn't happen too often anymore.

But it happened today. Oh yes indeed. God, I do suck at this. Now if you'll excuse me I have to go question my own self-worth and involvement in competitive cycling on any level.
I think this means I win the slow guy pi$$ing contest.
It hasn't not happened to me this year [dropped on 100% of my group rides; at least I'm consistent] and it's always much earlier than the 96% complete mark.
__________________
2009 CAAD9 BB30 Team Issue
MY BLOG.
SushiJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-08, 05:56 PM   #19
patentcad
Peloton Shelter Dog
Thread Starter
 
patentcad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Chester, NY
Bikes: 2013 Scott Foil, 2016 Scott Addict, 2015 Scott Scale 700SL MTB
Posts: 59,579
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Sushi Joe, I would be feeling your pain, but I took three Advil earlier.
patentcad is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:02 PM.