Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 28
  1. #1
    Senior Member slim_77's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    chicago,Il
    My Bikes
    yes please
    Posts
    2,401
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Winfield Twilight/ABR championship question 5/31 & 6/1

    Anyone know what the course looks like for this? I've heard there is a "hill" and when I didn't look upset, I was then told that it is a "real" hill. I have no idea what that means...any comments?

    Thanks!
    gravity: it's not just a good idea, it's the law.

  2. #2
    Senior Member Duke of Kent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Upstate NY
    My Bikes
    Focus Raven 29er, Santa Cruz Blur LTc
    Posts
    4,575
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by slim_77 View Post
    Anyone know what the course looks like for this? I've heard there is a "hill" and when I didn't look upset, I was then told that it is a "real" hill. I have no idea what that means...any comments?

    Thanks!
    I live a mile away from the Twilight Course, 1.5mi or so from the ABR Nats course.

    The Twilight course, when you first see it, is very unimpressive. The hill looks like a little low grade false flat job that people should just fly up. And, it doesn't feel that bad at first. But when you have people launching attacks, and you're going 25mph up the 3-5% grade, it starts to hurt after a while. It's only 300m or so in length.

    However, when you see the Pro/1/2 field explode and groups of 5-10 coming around, you realize how hard it is.
    "If a non personal post makes you feel as if you've been attacked, maybe the problem IS you."

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Schaumburg, IL
    My Bikes
    Trek 5000
    Posts
    395
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by slim_77 View Post
    Anyone know what the course looks like for this? I've heard there is a "hill" and when I didn't look upset, I was then told that it is a "real" hill. I have no idea what that means...any comments?

    Thanks!
    Saturday and Sunday courses are different. Both have a hill but I felt that the Sat course was harder with the hill than Sunday. Sat course is longer. I have not raced much so I really cannot compare it to other courses but the hill on Sat was tough as the race went on.

  4. #4
    Senior Member slim_77's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    chicago,Il
    My Bikes
    yes please
    Posts
    2,401
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks guys!
    gravity: it's not just a good idea, it's the law.

  5. #5
    this portrait of karma transplant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    chicago
    Posts
    1,238
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    so while we're on the topic, what are the courses like for sat and sun beyond the "hill"

  6. #6
    Senior Member Duke of Kent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Upstate NY
    My Bikes
    Focus Raven 29er, Santa Cruz Blur LTc
    Posts
    4,575
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by transplant View Post
    so while we're on the topic, what are the courses like for sat and sun beyond the "hill"
    Downhill, fast. Unless you can blow by the person/people in front of you before they get up to speed, you'll have little opportunity to pass on the downhill Saturday. It's pretty fast, and people will be using all of the road. Far side of the road/curb/far side type of apexing.

    In the Cat2/3 race last year, I made the mistake of attacking the break, on the last lap, with 150m to go before the top of the hill last year. Never quite got the gap I wanted, blew up right after the crest of the hill/left turn, and never got up to speed. Got passed by 7 of the 9 other guys, re-passed one of them when it was safe at the bottom.

    You really need to be top 3 at the crest of the hill or slightly after it to have a shot at winning the race.

    Sunday is just a straight downhill, with a left hand turn at the bottom. 300-400m to the finish, I think.
    "If a non personal post makes you feel as if you've been attacked, maybe the problem IS you."

  7. #7
    Senior Member slim_77's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    chicago,Il
    My Bikes
    yes please
    Posts
    2,401
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just saw this post on CBR.

    it may be more useful to you, Transplant, though I'll keep the info as part of my daily "1001 race situations" daydream program.
    Last edited by slim_77; 05-27-08 at 01:29 PM.
    gravity: it's not just a good idea, it's the law.

  8. #8
    cmh
    cmh is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    2,279
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Duke of Kent View Post
    I live a mile away from the Twilight Course, 1.5mi or so from the ABR Nats course.

    The Twilight course, when you first see it, is very unimpressive. The hill looks like a little low grade false flat job that people should just fly up. And, it doesn't feel that bad at first. But when you have people launching attacks, and you're going 25mph up the 3-5% grade, it starts to hurt after a while. It's only 300m or so in length.

    However, when you see the Pro/1/2 field explode and groups of 5-10 coming around, you realize how hard it is.
    Does anyone have a map of the courses? Or street names of where the routes?

    I'm just curious because I grew up in Winfield on Carrel Street and I think one of the races is in that area.

    Thanks.

  9. #9
    Senior Member Duke of Kent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Upstate NY
    My Bikes
    Focus Raven 29er, Santa Cruz Blur LTc
    Posts
    4,575
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll post one up later tonight.

    Crazy that you're from Winfield. I've lived in Winfield for the last 21 years, the first 2 in Wheaton. Was born at CDH.
    "If a non personal post makes you feel as if you've been attacked, maybe the problem IS you."

  10. #10
    cmh
    cmh is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    2,279
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Duke of Kent View Post
    I'll post one up later tonight.

    Crazy that you're from Winfield. I've lived in Winfield for the last 21 years, the first 2 in Wheaton. Was born at CDH.
    I was born at CDH in 1968 and lived in Winfield through High School (West Chicago High). I was still back there every summer while I went to school in Urbana/Champaign, but then moved away as did my parents after college.

    I raced bikes in high school and, of course, nobody knew what the bike racing was at the time. I rode with the West Suburban Wheelman which was a great group of guys back then. When I saw that there was a Winfield Criterium I definitely did a double take. I would have killed to have a few big crits right in town. If I still had family back there I would fly in just for those races.

  11. #11
    Senior Member Duke of Kent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Upstate NY
    My Bikes
    Focus Raven 29er, Santa Cruz Blur LTc
    Posts
    4,575
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cmh View Post
    I was born at CDH in 1968 and lived in Winfield through High School (West Chicago High). I was still back there every summer while I went to school in Urbana/Champaign, but then moved away as did my parents after college.

    I raced bikes in high school and, of course, nobody knew what the bike racing was at the time. I rode with the West Suburban Wheelman which was a great group of guys back then. When I saw that there was a Winfield Criterium I definitely did a double take. I would have killed to have a few big crits right in town. If I still had family back there I would fly in just for those races.
    Wow. I went to school at U of I as well. My sister lives in Portland (professor at Portland State) and I might be moving there within the year. I went to Wheaton North though.

    About the race: ABD, my team, puts it on. ABD is one of the, if not the biggest, club in IL. Put on (far) more races than any other team in the state as well. The Twilight crit is always one of the best races of the year, in terms of the course, the race, and the atmosphere. The team shop is located at the corner of County Farm and Geneva, and the two courses are right off Winfield Road.

    Saturday Course: http://www.routeslip.com/routes/43304

    Sunday Course: http://www.routeslip.com/routes/43301
    "If a non personal post makes you feel as if you've been attacked, maybe the problem IS you."

  12. #12
    cmh
    cmh is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    2,279
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Duke of Kent View Post
    Wow. I went to school at U of I as well. My sister lives in Portland (professor at Portland State) and I might be moving there within the year. I went to Wheaton North though.

    About the race: ABD, my team, puts it on. ABD is one of the, if not the biggest, club in IL. Put on (far) more races than any other team in the state as well. The Twilight crit is always one of the best races of the year, in terms of the course, the race, and the atmosphere. The team shop is located at the corner of County Farm and Geneva, and the two courses are right off Winfield Road.

    Saturday Course: http://www.routeslip.com/routes/43304

    Sunday Course: http://www.routeslip.com/routes/43301
    Those look like fantastic crit courses. The Saturday course goes 1/2 a block from where I grew up - although 1/2 the course was just corn fields until I was in Jr. High or so. Does the Sunday course run clockwise or counter? I remember how huge that hill on Summit seemed when I was in grade school.

    Keep me posted if you decide to move out to Portland. There is a lot of great racing out here of all types.

  13. #13
    Senior Member slim_77's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    chicago,Il
    My Bikes
    yes please
    Posts
    2,401
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    one more...

    are there good areas for a proper warm-up on both days?
    gravity: it's not just a good idea, it's the law.

  14. #14
    Senior Member John Wilke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Milwaukee
    Posts
    3,917
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maps greatly appreciated !!

    I'll be shooting pics at the WI TT Champs in Brighton, then drive down for the IL crits.

    It's gonna be a L O N G day, but SO worth it! (better bring extra batteries)

    (will also be shooting video this time).

    Duke: I'll get your pix emailed before I hit the sack tonight.

    PelotonStar.Com. . . Your source of Midwest cycling news!

    Peloton-Pix.Com . . . Your source of Midwest racing photos! *SALE THRU MAY 2*
    Peloton Tees . . . Cool cycling swag.

  15. #15
    Senior Member Duke of Kent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Upstate NY
    My Bikes
    Focus Raven 29er, Santa Cruz Blur LTc
    Posts
    4,575
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by slim_77 View Post
    one more...

    are there good areas for a proper warm-up on both days?
    Yes, there are.

    You can use my neighborhood, which is a 0.92mi loop, no stop signs, no potholes, no glass.

    Or, if it's dried out, you can use the Illinois Prairie Path. Both are very close, and very nice routes.

    IPP is the thick straight red line, the crayon-esque red line is the 'hood, and the blue line is the Saturday course.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Duke of Kent; 05-30-08 at 10:33 PM.
    "If a non personal post makes you feel as if you've been attacked, maybe the problem IS you."

  16. #16
    Senior Member slim_77's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    chicago,Il
    My Bikes
    yes please
    Posts
    2,401
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks DOK! I'll be in th UIC jersey and I promise not to pee on your lawn.
    gravity: it's not just a good idea, it's the law.

  17. #17
    Genetics have failed me Scummer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Zorneding, Germany
    My Bikes
    Pedalforce CX1 & Trek Madone 5.9
    Posts
    2,831
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think I need to do those races as well. Sounds like good fun.
    Gelato aficionado.

  18. #18
    Senior Member slim_77's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    chicago,Il
    My Bikes
    yes please
    Posts
    2,401
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Duke of Kent View Post
    However, when you see the Pro/1/2 field explode and groups of 5-10 coming around, you realize how hard it is.
    Indeed. The hill was tough as a the race went on, but that was a really fun course to race.
    gravity: it's not just a good idea, it's the law.

  19. #19
    Senior Member Duke of Kent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Upstate NY
    My Bikes
    Focus Raven 29er, Santa Cruz Blur LTc
    Posts
    4,575
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As I just mentioned in TQ's thread, I was the first course marshall after the turn at the top of the hill. My real-life encouraging nature is not reflected well via teh intranets.

    Well done today.

    I was moderately disappointed that the field didn't blow up like I thought it would. Plenty of people got spit out, but none of our moves, or any moves for that matter, ended up sticking. Lame.
    "If a non personal post makes you feel as if you've been attacked, maybe the problem IS you."

  20. #20
    this portrait of karma transplant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    chicago
    Posts
    1,238
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well i killed myself today. see what tomorrow brings.

  21. #21
    Senior Member John Wilke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Milwaukee
    Posts
    3,917
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Chris - you looked pretty good from the side lines ... that guy from Champaign must be pretty quick!

    I had a blast ... I thought the spectating was great!





    I've got some more pix already posted in the Great Lakes part of BF: HERE

    Many, many more pix from all Catagories coming soon.


    PelotonStar.Com. . . Your source of Midwest cycling news!

    Peloton-Pix.Com . . . Your source of Midwest racing photos! *SALE THRU MAY 2*
    Peloton Tees . . . Cool cycling swag.

  22. #22
    Senior Member slim_77's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    chicago,Il
    My Bikes
    yes please
    Posts
    2,401
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Duke of Kent View Post
    As I just mentioned in TQ's thread, I was the first course marshall after the turn at the top of the hill. My real-life encouraging nature is not reflected well via teh intranets.

    Well done today.

    I was moderately disappointed that the field didn't blow up like I thought it would. Plenty of people got spit out, but none of our moves, or any moves for that matter, ended up sticking. Lame.
    I thought that may be you! Thanks for the encouragement!

    I finished a distant 10th. The 5s broke apart mid race and I held on to the lead group till the last lap. Dead legs. I had no warm up and my HR was through the roof from the ***. Wierd. Not a good day. Today is another day. (I'm gonna get there early.)
    gravity: it's not just a good idea, it's the law.

  23. #23
    Senior Member John Wilke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Milwaukee
    Posts
    3,917
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Duke of Kent View Post
    ...

    You really need to be top 3 at the crest of the hill or slightly after it to have a shot at winning the race.
    Hey ... that's what the Saturday's winner in the P12 from Turin said on the podium!

    No kidding.

    Except .... he won.

    PelotonStar.Com. . . Your source of Midwest cycling news!

    Peloton-Pix.Com . . . Your source of Midwest racing photos! *SALE THRU MAY 2*
    Peloton Tees . . . Cool cycling swag.

  24. #24
    Senior Member Duke of Kent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Upstate NY
    My Bikes
    Focus Raven 29er, Santa Cruz Blur LTc
    Posts
    4,575
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by John Wilke View Post
    Hey ... that's what the Saturday's winner in the P12 from Turin said on the podium!

    No kidding.

    Except .... he won.
    I hope this doesn't come across as sour grapes, but they short changed us a lap. When they said five laps to go, we only did 3 laps before we got the bell for the last lap.

    And we had two guys (myself and another teammate) moving to the front to light it up on the hill, with the other 4 guys, but the pace was too high and the field strung out because they rang the bell. That might have made the difference between 2nd and 1st.

    Oh well. Today is another race.
    "If a non personal post makes you feel as if you've been attacked, maybe the problem IS you."

  25. #25
    Genetics have failed me Scummer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Zorneding, Germany
    My Bikes
    Pedalforce CX1 & Trek Madone 5.9
    Posts
    2,831
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did the cat5 39yrs and younger today.
    First 3 laps the hill was OK, but with every lap it became harder and harder to go up the damn thing.
    I was with the pack until pretty much the last lap and then I completely exploded on that damn hill in the last lap and everybody left me behind Rolled into the finish 1/4 lap behind the pack.
    Gelato aficionado.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •