Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-14-13, 02:27 PM   #5001
Jandro
Senior Member
 
Jandro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: San Francisco, CA
Bikes:
Posts: 3,060
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkwaki View Post
I'm sure some of the others will chime in here.
Sounds great, make sure you understand the FTP protocol to get your best result. Try to find a road where you can stay under constant sustainable power.
Aye aye. I think have two options that I can think of, currently, but will be asking some locals where they did theirs.
__________________
Attack in the feeling because it says I'll win absolutely.
Jandro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-13, 11:32 AM   #5002
globecanvas
Ninny
 
globecanvas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: The Gunks
Bikes:
Posts: 4,436
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by globecanvas View Post
I got a Stages PM last week for my cross bike and it works great except for some reason it won't zero-calibrate from my 500.
For the record, I solved this by disabling the speed/power sensor in the Garmin settings. I think it was busy searching for a sensor that didn't exist which would interrupt or delay the PM zero-calibration. Now the 500 will zero-calibrate the Stages PM in a few seconds. Zero-calibrating the Quarq is much snappier too.
globecanvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-13, 04:54 PM   #5003
rbart4506 
You blink and it's gone.
 
rbart4506's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Dundas, Ontario
Bikes: Race bike, training bike, go fast bike and a trainer slave.
Posts: 4,436
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by globecanvas View Post
For the record, I solved this by disabling the speed/power sensor in the Garmin settings. I think it was busy searching for a sensor that didn't exist which would interrupt or delay the PM zero-calibration. Now the 500 will zero-calibrate the Stages PM in a few seconds. Zero-calibrating the Quarq is much snappier too.
Yup, i had read about that on the Garmin500 forum when people were having issues zero-caibrating a power meter...

I'll have to check in with you in the fall to see how the Stages goes...
__________________
"On the other hand riding down a hill at 55 MPH wearing (essentially) women's underwear and a Styrofoam cup on your head is the epitome of rational life-extending decisions." - RacerEx
rbart4506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-13, 11:56 PM   #5004
Duke of Kent
Senior Member
 
Duke of Kent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Blacksburg, VA
Bikes: Yeti ASRc, Focus Raven 29er, Flyxii FR316
Posts: 4,833
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Getting back into the power game.

Once upon a time, when I lived in IL, and raced on the road, I had a PowerTap Pro with their standard little yellow head unit. Gave that bike, including wheel, to a friend.

Fast forward three plus years, and I'm now primarily an MTB rider, who hasn't raced since then. Things have changed a fair bit since then. There are lots of third party GPS units available for sale that put the old school PT head units to shame.

I'm looking to get back into racing, both MTB and cyclocross, and perhaps on the road, and recently picked up a PowerTap Disc hub, built to a Bontrager TLR rim, for 400 clams. No head unit, though. As someone who uses GPS literally every day for work (it's on my wrist right now), I'm not interested in non-GPS units. Can someone recommend an easy to use, GPS-enabled, reliable ANT+ head unit? I don't need all of the bells and whistles; just the basics. I'll extract the data and look into the minutia later, off the bike.

Currently looking at the Joule GPS, CatEye Strada 50, maybe the Garmin Edge 500.

Last edited by Duke of Kent; 08-19-13 at 12:13 AM.
Duke of Kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-13, 07:31 AM   #5005
globecanvas
Ninny
 
globecanvas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: The Gunks
Bikes:
Posts: 4,436
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
I'd rule out the Cateye as it doesn't let you customize the screens. For deciding between Joule and Garmin, I suggest reading the dcrainmaker reviews.
globecanvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-13, 09:39 AM   #5006
Ygduf 
\_(ツ)_/
 
Ygduf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Redwood City, CA
Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.
Posts: 9,393
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
bad picture, but saw a handful of these out on sunday

__________________

strava.com/athletes/ygduf
Ygduf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-13, 05:19 AM   #5007
aaacidrap
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: North of Boston, MA
Bikes:
Posts: 36
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am currently awaiting shipment of a new Powertap G3 wheel and have a question about it. All of the electronics are now housed on the removable cap, so should it need servicing you can send out the cap only instead of the entire wheel. Where do you get a replacement cap to hold you over if you send it out? I've been searching around a bit online but can't find the caps for sale......
aaacidrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-13, 06:49 AM   #5008
revchuck
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: South Louisiana
Bikes: Cannondale CAAD9
Posts: 5,677
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Powertap's customer service answered a question for me the same day I asked. I'd check with them.
revchuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-13, 10:27 PM   #5009
globecanvas
Ninny
 
globecanvas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: The Gunks
Bikes:
Posts: 4,436
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Just got back from vacation. I brought the rain bike on vacation and swapped the Stages PM onto it to try it out.


After a couple of weeks of using the Stages exclusively, I like it! Swapping to a different bike is a total breeze, literally takes one minute, easier than changing pedals or even wheels. (This is with the Rival crank arm which is self extracting.)


No troubles at all with dropouts or flaky readings. The only difference in use that I notice when compared to the Quarq or Powertap is that the power reading lags slightly, I assume because it can only calculate power every full revolution, unlike other PMs which can calculate every half revolution.


The claimed accuracy is 2%, which is worse than the 1.5% most other PMs claim, and of course it only reads left-leg power. But I did not see a single number that seemed wrong to me, and I watch power pretty closely, and always look at the data in depth after a ride. I've done a bunch of different length intervals and the numbers all looked right on.


I'm very happy with it. Acknowledging the lower accuracy, I think it is great value for money. To put the accuracy in perspective, if a Quarq says 300w the real power is likely within 4.5w, and with the Stages it is likely within 6w. I'm sure there are some applications where the difference is important, or where left vs right leg power is important. But I'd be perfectly comfortable using the Stages for training or pacing a TT. Enough so that I sold the Powertap.
globecanvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-13, 06:58 AM   #5010
rbart4506 
You blink and it's gone.
 
rbart4506's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Dundas, Ontario
Bikes: Race bike, training bike, go fast bike and a trainer slave.
Posts: 4,436
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
You're making this tempting...

The wife may be getting a nice xmas present that will drop a pound off her bike. I'll buy her the Stages and a nice set of team issue carbon tubulars and then I'll take her carbon tubulars w/ a PT and use that on my TT bike, which currently has no power...As in meter
__________________
"On the other hand riding down a hill at 55 MPH wearing (essentially) women's underwear and a Styrofoam cup on your head is the epitome of rational life-extending decisions." - RacerEx
rbart4506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-13, 07:35 AM   #5011
Creatre
These Guys Eat Oreos
 
Creatre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Atlanta, GA
Bikes: Yes
Posts: 3,422
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
95% sure I'm gonna buy a Powertap G3. I've decided I want less work swapping between the TT bike and the road bike so I ride the TT bike more. I also never use a different set of wheels. And I want to run a 54t ring on the TT bike vs. 53t ring on the roadie. It seems to be a very reliable and strong power meter. I love my Riken, but think this is the better option for me now. I'm also looking forward to not zero'ing every hour on the bike. The Riken doesn't drift much, but it does still need to be zero'd multiple times a ride.

Does anyone have any complaints about the g3?
Creatre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-13, 11:13 AM   #5012
aaacidrap
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: North of Boston, MA
Bikes:
Posts: 36
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creatre View Post
95% sure I'm gonna buy a Powertap G3. I've decided I want less work swapping between the TT bike and the road bike so I ride the TT bike more. I also never use a different set of wheels. And I want to run a 54t ring on the TT bike vs. 53t ring on the roadie. It seems to be a very reliable and strong power meter. I love my Riken, but think this is the better option for me now. I'm also looking forward to not zero'ing every hour on the bike. The Riken doesn't drift much, but it does still need to be zero'd multiple times a ride.

Does anyone have any complaints about the g3?
I've only had mine for a week, but I love it so far! It stood up to a pretty nasty rainstorm with no problems.
aaacidrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-13, 11:17 AM   #5013
Ygduf 
\_(ツ)_/
 
Ygduf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Redwood City, CA
Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.
Posts: 9,393
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
so after saying my quarqs had been solid for a few years, one of them went whacky and wouldn't give me a consistent calibration.

I emailed quarq at 8:15 on Monday. Got a reply at 8:50, replied to that at 9:10, received a pre-paid 2-day shipping label and RMA at 9:30am.

Shipped it the next day. Received an email shipping notification when it was delivered, and another shipping notification the next day for the return shipment. I don't know if it's a new unit or if they swapped the guts on my old unit, but either way I have changed my mind about the garmin vector pedals.

I was going to sell the quarqs and get pedals to use on all bikes, but getting an RMA on my garmin 500 was a 2-week process and such a pain in my ass.

Service wins my money: quarq is >>>> garmin.
__________________

strava.com/athletes/ygduf
Ygduf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-13, 04:46 PM   #5014
valygrl
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Boulder, CO
Bikes:
Posts: 8,321
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creatre View Post
95% sure I'm gonna buy a Powertap G3. I've decided I want less work swapping between the TT bike and the road bike so I ride the TT bike more. I also never use a different set of wheels. And I want to run a 54t ring on the TT bike vs. 53t ring on the roadie. It seems to be a very reliable and strong power meter. I love my Riken, but think this is the better option for me now. I'm also looking forward to not zero'ing every hour on the bike. The Riken doesn't drift much, but it does still need to be zero'd multiple times a ride.

Does anyone have any complaints about the g3?
I've been struggling with my G3 for a little over a year now. I have a SL+ on my aluminum wheel and a G3 on my Zipp 404. I do most of my riding on the SL+ wheel, and have found the SL+ readings to be stable, but the readings from the G3 were all over the map. Wheelbuilder (where I bought it) replaced the electronics unit for me last month, but it still is weird - it's more stable now, but my power numbers have been about 20-30% (PERCENT!!!!) low on this wheel compared to what I expect on my other unit. It's been tough to tease out if it's really a problem with the powertap or if it is because the circumstances i've used this wheel in are different - it's my TT wheel, and all my recent TT's have been at altitude, and they are flatter compared to some hill climb races I was comparing to.

I finally just sent it back to Wheelbuilder for recalibration yesterday. It will be interesting to see if there is a big change in the numbers after that. I tried to do the torque check test myself, but I had to borrow a garmin to do it with, and I'm not sure if I did the test right. It told me it wasn't mis-calibrated, but I still don't believe it.

FWIW, Wheelbuilder has been nothing but gracious and helpful with this thing, and it's been my own doing that it has taken so long to sort out - I didn't want to send it back without being sure it was wonky, but I was having a heck of a time picking apart the potential data issue from the sporadic and high-altitude usage.
valygrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-13, 07:12 AM   #5015
Creatre
These Guys Eat Oreos
 
Creatre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Atlanta, GA
Bikes: Yes
Posts: 3,422
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by valygrl View Post
I've been struggling with my G3 for a little over a year now. I have a SL+ on my aluminum wheel and a G3 on my Zipp 404. I do most of my riding on the SL+ wheel, and have found the SL+ readings to be stable, but the readings from the G3 were all over the map. Wheelbuilder (where I bought it) replaced the electronics unit for me last month, but it still is weird - it's more stable now, but my power numbers have been about 20-30% (PERCENT!!!!) low on this wheel compared to what I expect on my other unit. It's been tough to tease out if it's really a problem with the powertap or if it is because the circumstances i've used this wheel in are different - it's my TT wheel, and all my recent TT's have been at altitude, and they are flatter compared to some hill climb races I was comparing to.

I finally just sent it back to Wheelbuilder for recalibration yesterday. It will be interesting to see if there is a big change in the numbers after that. I tried to do the torque check test myself, but I had to borrow a garmin to do it with, and I'm not sure if I did the test right. It told me it wasn't mis-calibrated, but I still don't believe it.

FWIW, Wheelbuilder has been nothing but gracious and helpful with this thing, and it's been my own doing that it has taken so long to sort out - I didn't want to send it back without being sure it was wonky, but I was having a heck of a time picking apart the potential data issue from the sporadic and high-altitude usage.
Yikes, that doesn't sound too good. Hopefully you get it all figured out!
Creatre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-13, 11:05 AM   #5016
Andy STi
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Bend, OR
Bikes:
Posts: 541
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ygduf View Post
so after saying my quarqs had been solid for a few years, one of them went whacky and wouldn't give me a consistent calibration.

I emailed quarq at 8:15 on Monday. Got a reply at 8:50, replied to that at 9:10, received a pre-paid 2-day shipping label and RMA at 9:30am.

Shipped it the next day. Received an email shipping notification when it was delivered, and another shipping notification the next day for the return shipment. I don't know if it's a new unit or if they swapped the guts on my old unit, but either way I have changed my mind about the garmin vector pedals.

I was going to sell the quarqs and get pedals to use on all bikes, but getting an RMA on my garmin 500 was a 2-week process and such a pain in my ass.

Service wins my money: quarq is >>>> garmin.
That's awesome. My Quarq has been running strong for the past year and a half. Been looking at getting another to put on my TT bike.
Andy STi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-13, 11:13 AM   #5017
Creakyknees
ride lots be safe
 
Creakyknees's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Texas
Bikes:
Posts: 5,196
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
looks like my SRM battery inside the BB is dead. I've heard that it's possible to replace it yourself... anyone have any linky's to tutorials?
Creakyknees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-13, 01:28 PM   #5018
rkwaki
soon to be gsteinc...
 
rkwaki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Nayr497's BFF
Bikes:
Posts: 8,559
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creakyknees View Post
looks like my SRM battery inside the BB is dead. I've heard that it's possible to replace it yourself... anyone have any linky's to tutorials?
I'm in the same boat. I think CDR has one.
rkwaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-13, 01:41 PM   #5019
globecanvas
Ninny
 
globecanvas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: The Gunks
Bikes:
Posts: 4,436
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Speaking of batteries, I was surprised to have to replace the battery on my quarq after maybe 100 hours, and very surprised to have to replace the battery on my stages after maybe 20 hours. I never had to replace the batteries on my powertap, which had probably 300 hours on it when I sold it.

I think the PT might use multiple batteries, I hope that the quarq shipped with a not-fresh battery, and the stages was essentially submerged in water for 6 hours (on top of the car in a monsoon). So there could be extenuating circumstances all around.

Also, the quarq and stages are both very easy tool-less battery changes, in situ.
globecanvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-13, 02:28 PM   #5020
Creatre
These Guys Eat Oreos
 
Creatre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Atlanta, GA
Bikes: Yes
Posts: 3,422
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by globecanvas View Post
Speaking of batteries, I was surprised to have to replace the battery on my quarq after maybe 100 hours, and very surprised to have to replace the battery on my stages after maybe 20 hours. I never had to replace the batteries on my powertap, which had probably 300 hours on it when I sold it.

I think the PT might use multiple batteries, I hope that the quarq shipped with a not-fresh battery, and the stages was essentially submerged in water for 6 hours (on top of the car in a monsoon). So there could be extenuating circumstances all around.

Also, the quarq and stages are both very easy tool-less battery changes, in situ.
I replaced my Riken's battery after about 100 hours. My S975 and powertap were getting about 150 hours so not too much of a change. Always happens during a race though. Why can't that crap go out during a training ride. I even carry spare batteries and I always have ridden with someone else or something to the races the battery goes out on.
Creatre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-13, 08:46 AM   #5021
brian416
Roadie
 
brian416's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Traverse City, MI
Bikes:
Posts: 1,440
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creakyknees View Post
looks like my SRM battery inside the BB is dead. I've heard that it's possible to replace it yourself... anyone have any linky's to tutorials?
http://weightweenies.starbike.com/fo...f18de6d6e1b896
brian416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-13, 12:46 PM   #5022
billh92109
Senior Member
 
billh92109's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 204
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hey guys Im considering getting A G3 alloy wheelset, or at least a rear wheel for now. For all those people who have started training with power, does everyone feel that going from HR only to power was worth it? Im just barely CAT5 at the moment so I have a long ways to go. Does HR drift *that* much that using power zones makes a big difference? -lets say I am doing 20 min TT intervals, for example. Would like to know everyone's opinion before I tell the missus 'i want a powertap wheelset' for xmas/bday (for the next few years lol).

thx
billh92109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-13, 12:54 PM   #5023
Flatballer
No matches
 
Flatballer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Eastern PA
Bikes: two wheeled ones
Posts: 10,651
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
If used right, and you've been riding long enough, then it will help. I have one, as a slow Cat4, who gets dropped regularly on group rides and hasn't even raced anything but track this year. I've had it for years, through on and off times of riding.

If you've just started riding (or are coming back after >6 months off and not being at a high level), then basically just go ride your bike hard and rest hard and you'll get significantly faster. If you don't fall into this category, and you're serious about wanting to be a better racer, than by all means it will help. If you're just getting it to compare e-wangs on the internet, don't bother. If you're actually going to learn how to use it properly and effectively as a training tool, then it will help.
Flatballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-13, 12:58 PM   #5024
rkwaki
soon to be gsteinc...
 
rkwaki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Nayr497's BFF
Bikes:
Posts: 8,559
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by billh92109 View Post
Hey guys Im considering getting A G3 alloy wheelset, or at least a rear wheel for now. For all those people who have started training with power, does everyone feel that going from HR only to power was worth it? Im just barely CAT5 at the moment so I have a long ways to go. Does HR drift *that* much that using power zones makes a big difference? -lets say I am doing 20 min TT intervals, for example. Would like to know everyone's opinion before I tell the missus 'i want a powertap wheelset' for xmas/bday (for the next few years lol).

thx
I have power again for ****s and giggles. THe most important thing you can learn about on the bike is Y-O-U, if a pm helps you learn then have at it. If you are going to use it as instructed and lead by a coach then you can make a world of difference and your learning curve will be steeper. If you have the money then do it.
rkwaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-13, 03:22 PM   #5025
Creakyknees
ride lots be safe
 
Creakyknees's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Texas
Bikes:
Posts: 5,196
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian416 View Post
thanks... considering that path
Creakyknees is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:08 AM.