Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 243 of 256 FirstFirst ... 143193233241242243244245253 ... LastLast
Results 6,051 to 6,075 of 6379
  1. #6051
    Senior Member hack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Folsom, CA
    Posts
    1,208
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ovoleg View Post

    I was looking at each individual interval more closely, sometimes its off by almost 10%


    at worst, i'm see a max of 4.2% when comparing meter to meter for any given interval. in the end, not bad at all.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  2. #6052
    Powered by Borscht ovoleg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    SoCal
    My Bikes
    Russian Vodka
    Posts
    8,333
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got slower! Damnit guys!
    -Cat-3-o-meter: TBD :/

  3. #6053
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    1,882
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hack View Post
    at worst, i'm see a max of 4.2% when comparing meter to meter for any given interval. in the end, not bad at all.
    in theory, as you know, the PT should read a bit lower than a crank-based meter due to drivetrain losses. in my experience in somewhat controlled environments (temp-controlled, that is), quarks can bounce around and have 2-3% or more variance in either direction during any given interval. it's not that they tend to drift high, high, higher or low, low, and lower throughout a session--it can vary from interval to interval. i find a unit that drifts in a consistent direction to be more valuable than a random number generator, but both are less preferable to something more stable.

  4. #6054
    Senior Member shovelhd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Western MA
    My Bikes
    Yes
    Posts
    11,904
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ovoleg View Post
    don't assume the Quarq is more consistent
    Yes. Powertaps are very reliable in my experience. The bearings suck, the cassette freehub is soft as butter, and every once in a while a torque tube fails and you can't set the offset, but I have never seen or heard of a Powertap reading low or inconsistently. When they work, they work. Quarqs, on the other hand, have multiple failure modes. As gsteinb's recent experience shows, so do SRM's.

  5. #6055
    Member bobonker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Nor Cal
    Posts
    795
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is my first year of using the Performance Manager Chart to keep track of performance. I like it a lot but after being sick for 10 days, it is really depressing to see that I gave back almost a month's worth of fitness during my downtime. On the plus side, my TSB is +40.

    Sonny
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 -- Giant Anthem X4 29er FS -- Leopard CX1

  6. #6056
    Senior Member shovelhd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Western MA
    My Bikes
    Yes
    Posts
    11,904
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

  7. #6057
    soon to be gsteinc... rkwaki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    getting photographed by rockets...
    Posts
    8,134
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shovelhd View Post
    That's the exact same as mine. 170mm or 172.5?
    "if you ride it the way it's meant to be ridden there's no way any wife is less of a ***** than a bicycle." - gstein

  8. #6058
    Senior Member shovelhd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Western MA
    My Bikes
    Yes
    Posts
    11,904
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    172.5. You know where I got it, too.

  9. #6059
    Powered by Borscht ovoleg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    SoCal
    My Bikes
    Russian Vodka
    Posts
    8,333
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shovelhd View Post
    Yes. Powertaps are very reliable in my experience. The bearings suck, the cassette freehub is soft as butter, and every once in a while a torque tube fails and you can't set the offset, but I have never seen or heard of a Powertap reading low or inconsistently. When they work, they work. Quarqs, on the other hand, have multiple failure modes. As gsteinb's recent experience shows, so do SRM's.
    good to keep in mind. I'm just going to readjust myself to the powertap and roll with it. I think I actually must've lost fitness then....
    -Cat-3-o-meter: TBD :/

  10. #6060
    Senior Member furiousferret's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Redlands, CA
    Posts
    2,677
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So long as its consistently accurate it really doesn't matter what the numbers are.

    I finally dove in and got WKO+, my expert review is meh.

  11. #6061
    Senior Member shovelhd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Western MA
    My Bikes
    Yes
    Posts
    11,904
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ovoleg View Post
    good to keep in mind. I'm just going to readjust myself to the powertap and roll with it. I think I actually must've lost fitness then....
    i don't think you have enough data yet to come to that conclusion. Use the Powertap for a few weeks first.

  12. #6062
    avatar by Sean Powers mike868y's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    charm city
    My Bikes
    2009 Specialized Tarmac Pro
    Posts
    6,783
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ovoleg View Post
    I think I actually must've lost fitness then....
    i think people need to give up the notion that one "bad" workout or one workout where you hit PRs means you've "lost" fitness. you can't set PRs every time you swing your leg over the bike. no way, no how. furthermore, there is a distinction between fitness and form. lots of things play into your ability to "hit your numbers." honestly, if you go out and finish your set within 5-10% or whatever of your "goal" numbers, you're probably doing alright.

    the "GOTTA HIT HIGH SCORES" mentality is one of the reasons I stopped training with power. mentally, i struggled coming to terms with calling a workout "successful" when I didn't set a PR. which sounds silly now, but yeah.
    Quote Originally Posted by gsteinb View Post
    it depends

  13. #6063
    Senior Member Wesley36's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    611
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobonker View Post
    ... after being sick for 10 days, it is really depressing to see that I gave back almost a month's worth of fitness during my downtime. On the plus side, my TSB is +40.
    Check out mid-Feb and mid-March. One 1.5 year old going to playgroups and one 6 year old in grade one means a house full of virii and bacteria. I am still more fit than I was in September, but dang, frustrating to hit the first races of the year trying to recover the fitness I had in mid-Feb.
    PMCBigGaps.PNG

    PS But to be clear, the frustration is minimal compared to being able to get out on the roads and race again. First O-Cup race this weekend as an M3! And in 7 days, my second O-Cup race - I guess I will probably be racing against rbart in the M3 field in Hamilton. Would have been nice to be peaking after a couple of build blocks for these races, but either way it is good to be racing.
    Last edited by Wesley36; 04-11-14 at 07:38 AM.

  14. #6064
    Senior Member shovelhd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Western MA
    My Bikes
    Yes
    Posts
    11,904
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You have the right perspective. When I tore my shoulder all to hell last year I reset my immediate expectations and kept my eye on the prize. It all worked out great.

  15. #6065
    Powered by Borscht ovoleg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    SoCal
    My Bikes
    Russian Vodka
    Posts
    8,333
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mike868y View Post
    i think people need to give up the notion that one "bad" workout or one workout where you hit PRs means you've "lost" fitness. you can't set PRs every time you swing your leg over the bike. no way, no how. furthermore, there is a distinction between fitness and form. lots of things play into your ability to "hit your numbers." honestly, if you go out and finish your set within 5-10% or whatever of your "goal" numbers, you're probably doing alright.

    the "GOTTA HIT HIGH SCORES" mentality is one of the reasons I stopped training with power. mentally, i struggled coming to terms with calling a workout "successful" when I didn't set a PR. which sounds silly now, but yeah.
    Good advice overall. Just to be clear, I'm not trying to PR every workout, but its frustrating not being able to hit the numbers you hit a few months ago.
    -Cat-3-o-meter: TBD :/

  16. #6066
    Senior Member shovelhd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Western MA
    My Bikes
    Yes
    Posts
    11,904
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Then the numbers are telling you something.

  17. #6067
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    My Bikes
    Roubaix SL4 Expert
    Posts
    2,330
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ovoleg View Post
    Good advice overall. Just to be clear, I'm not trying to PR every workout, but its frustrating not being able to hit the numbers you hit a few months ago.
    I think you just need to calibrate yourself to the Powertap numbers which are clearly different than the Quarq. I know if I did a 20 minute test 15w high I would be dying by the end of it. That seems to be what happened on your early Powertap rides. I don't think you can attempt to use the same target power numbers you were using on your Quarq.

  18. #6068
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    1,882
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ovoleg View Post
    Good advice overall. Just to be clear, I'm not trying to PR every workout, but its frustrating not being able to hit the numbers you hit a few months ago.
    yep. consider the possibility that those numbers were never real. unfortunately, one gets attached to them.

    i've experienced this (quarq reading high, in my case), and it can take years to let go.

    whether those numbers are right or the new numbers are wrong, as shovel said (a) you don't know and (b) you can't do anything about it other than move forward (2nd point was to a racer in another thread, about just getting back to it).

  19. #6069
    You blink and it's gone. rbart4506's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Dundas, Ontario
    My Bikes
    Race bike, training bike, go fast bike and a trainer slave.
    Posts
    4,414
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wesley36 View Post
    Check out mid-Feb and mid-March. One 1.5 year old going to playgroups and one 6 year old in grade one means a house full of virii and bacteria. I am still more fit than I was in September, but dang, frustrating to hit the first races of the year trying to recover the fitness I had in mid-Feb.
    PMCBigGaps.PNG

    PS But to be clear, the frustration is minimal compared to being able to get out on the roads and race again. First O-Cup race this weekend as an M3! And in 7 days, my second O-Cup race - I guess I will probably be racing against rbart in the M3 field in Hamilton. Would have been nice to be peaking after a couple of build blocks for these races, but either way it is good to be racing.
    I'll be there...

    Really skinny dude in a Novofit kit. Good Friday has never been a good event for me. I just can't produce the same type of power in the cold temps as I can in the warmth. I'm working on it, not i still notice the difference.

    My goal race is the Collingwood race that finishes up Scenic Caves. I have no grand illusions of a victory, but it will hopefully be best finish ever. The type of route suits me. finally and honest to goodness climbing race in Ontario.
    "On the other hand riding down a hill at 55 MPH wearing (essentially) women's underwear and a Styrofoam cup on your head is the epitome of rational life-extending decisions." - RacerEx

  20. #6070
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    154
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm sure my PMC chart in GC is extremely useful... Once I figure out what it all means

  21. #6071
    Senior Member Wesley36's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    611
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rbart4506 View Post
    I'll be there...

    Really skinny dude in a Novofit kit. Good Friday has never been a good event for me. I just can't produce the same type of power in the cold temps as I can in the warmth. I'm working on it, not i still notice the difference.

    My goal race is the Collingwood race that finishes up Scenic Caves. I have no grand illusions of a victory, but it will hopefully be best finish ever. The type of route suits me. finally and honest to goodness climbing race in Ontario.
    Cool - I will be riding for Cyclelogik, but that my team kit will be covered by warmer clothing. It should be warmer than the Clarence Rockland Classic was, and it looks like my race tomorrow will be rainy. Looking forward to being in the Hammer/ surroundings again for the race (I lived there from 2002-2008), I am hoping the weather will be a bit nicer for Good Friday.

    Is that the Grey County RR? Won't be able to this year, but maybe in a future year. My goal race this year was a hilly RR (for this area, longest climb in the 5-6 min range) that has been cancelled/ discontinued. Would be nice to have a hilly RR to target in future years.

  22. #6072
    You blink and it's gone. rbart4506's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Dundas, Ontario
    My Bikes
    Race bike, training bike, go fast bike and a trainer slave.
    Posts
    4,414
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wesley36 View Post
    Cool - I will be riding for Cyclelogik, but that my team kit will be covered by warmer clothing. It should be warmer than the Clarence Rockland Classic was, and it looks like my race tomorrow will be rainy. Looking forward to being in the Hammer/ surroundings again for the race (I lived there from 2002-2008), I am hoping the weather will be a bit nicer for Good Friday.

    Is that the Grey County RR? Won't be able to this year, but maybe in a future year. My goal race this year was a hilly RR (for this area, longest climb in the 5-6 min range) that has been cancelled/ discontinued. Would be nice to have a hilly RR to target in future years.
    Yup, that's the one...
    "On the other hand riding down a hill at 55 MPH wearing (essentially) women's underwear and a Styrofoam cup on your head is the epitome of rational life-extending decisions." - RacerEx

  23. #6073
    Powered by Borscht ovoleg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    SoCal
    My Bikes
    Russian Vodka
    Posts
    8,333
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shovelhd View Post
    Then the numbers are telling you something.
    tells me I need to HTFU more.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunbar View Post
    I think you just need to calibrate yourself to the Powertap numbers which are clearly different than the Quarq. I know if I did a 20 minute test 15w high I would be dying by the end of it. That seems to be what happened on your early Powertap rides. I don't think you can attempt to use the same target power numbers you were using on your Quarq.
    I know its depressing tho, at least for my early adjustment period.

    Quote Originally Posted by tetonrider View Post
    yep. consider the possibility that those numbers were never real. unfortunately, one gets attached to them.

    i've experienced this (quarq reading high, in my case), and it can take years to let go.

    whether those numbers are right or the new numbers are wrong, as shovel said (a) you don't know and (b) you can't do anything about it other than move forward (2nd point was to a racer in another thread, about just getting back to it).
    Yeah I'm letting it go(slowly haha). I am gonna just massage my brain into the new numbers and roll with it and go for progress with the powertap. I dont want to give up power data collection on the track so the Quarq is staying on the track bike.
    -Cat-3-o-meter: TBD :/

  24. #6074
    Making a kilometer blurry waterrockets's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Austin (near TX)
    My Bikes
    rkwaki's porn collection
    Posts
    26,085
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ovoleg View Post
    tells me I need to HTFU more.
    I hope you're joking

  25. #6075
    Senior Member shovelhd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Western MA
    My Bikes
    Yes
    Posts
    11,904
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by waterrockets View Post
    I hope you're joking
    He's not.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •