Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-01-09, 08:07 PM   #651
umd
Banned
 
umd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Santa Barbara, CA
Bikes: Specialized Tarmac SL2, Specialized Tarmac SL, Giant TCR Composite, Specialized StumpJumper Expert HT
Posts: 28,387
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljrichar View Post
+1, always appreciating umd's responses.
Btw I'm "Steve Weixel" on the goodle wattage group. I saw your post there, I've just been lurking until recently. I know very little compared to many of the guys there.
umd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-09, 08:47 PM   #652
slynkie
negligent.
 
slynkie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: White Plains, NY
Bikes: a few
Posts: 837
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljrichar View Post
Unfortunately, the KK power curve numbers were waaaay off for me.
but as long as it's consistent relative to itself, it should be perfectly usable for training. if you happen to own another PM, you can use them together once, and have a good idea of the offset.
slynkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-09, 06:00 AM   #653
ljrichar
bf is my facebook.
 
ljrichar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Greensboro, NC
Bikes:
Posts: 1,156
Quote:
Originally Posted by slynkie View Post
but as long as it's consistent relative to itself, it should be perfectly usable for training. if you happen to own another PM, you can use them together once, and have a good idea of the offset.
Mine wasn't off consistently, it was off to the square or cube or something, I'm not a math person. Here's my original post on the matter.

http://67.201.16.77/showthread.php?t...ht=power+curve
ljrichar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-09, 06:13 AM   #654
slynkie
negligent.
 
slynkie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: White Plains, NY
Bikes: a few
Posts: 837
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljrichar View Post
Mine wasn't off consistently, it was off to the square or cube or something, I'm not a math person. Here's my original post on the matter.

http://67.201.16.77/showthread.php?t...ht=power+curve
isn't your post about consistency relative to the powertap?

Quote:
Originally Posted by slynkie View Post
but as long as it's consistent relative to itself
slynkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-09, 07:34 PM   #655
Dubbayoo
Senior Member
 
Dubbayoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Atlanta
Bikes: Pedal Force QS3
Posts: 7,681
How hard do you push 20 min intervals?


At the end of March I started doing 20min @ 91-100% and I was usually at my threshold HR (168) the last 5-8 minutes. MY FTP has gone up quite a bit, to the point where I'm now finishing the intervals around 160-162 HR*. If I try to finish the interval at threshold HR now I end up a good 30-35 watts over my last calculated threshold power. If I don't push right up against threshold HR for the last 5 min at least I end up recovering so quickly I'm not sure I'm getting much out of it. Seems like the ideal would be to get within a few beats of threshold ASAP and hold it for the duration, rather than just ending there. I'm going to raise my wattage target for May; just not sure how much.

At what point in your 20min intervals do you try to hit threshold HR? if at all.


* - this is mostly because my FTP was so poor to begin with.
Dubbayoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-09, 07:43 PM   #656
ridethecliche
Village Idiot
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Bahstaaaaan
Bikes:
Posts: 20,239
If you're 30-35 watts over your previous threshold power, you really need to test again. Maybe do a 2x20 test with 5 mins in the middle for rest, or do a MAP test.

How did you determine your FTP to begin with? Do you have any longer rides where you have a reasonable 1 hr AP/NP?

I'm shooting for a MAP test next week. I did 2x20 at almost 100% without serious pain. I need a retest. I'm guessing my FTP has gone up by 10-20 watts since the last time I tested.
ridethecliche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-09, 07:11 AM   #657
Hocam
Ho-Jahm
 
Hocam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Manchester, NH
Bikes:
Posts: 4,228
What kind of rate do you guys use to increase your TSS week to week? I've been shooting for 10% for 3-4 weeks, then -20% for a rest week.
Hocam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-09, 07:54 AM   #658
slynkie
negligent.
 
slynkie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: White Plains, NY
Bikes: a few
Posts: 837
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hocam View Post
What kind of rate do you guys use to increase your TSS week to week? I've been shooting for 10% for 3-4 weeks, then -20% for a rest week.
I'm not aiming for a precise ramp rate, but it looks like I've been doing about 10%/week. -20% for a rest week sounds like too much though, at least at my CTL level (57.8 today). Unless you're talking about a week completely off the bike. I don't think I've dropped more than 15% for a rest week this year.

Also, I don't think the 10% gains will be sustainable (for me) as CTL goes up.
slynkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-09, 08:32 AM   #659
LT Intolerant
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 525
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hocam View Post
What kind of rate do you guys use to increase your TSS week to week? I've been shooting for 10% for 3-4 weeks, then -20% for a rest week.
Conventional wisdom says 4-8 is a sustainable ramp rate over the long term and most power forum geeks have done away w a scheduled rest week taking rest when they feel they need it or when life demands it.

I average a ramp rate of 3-4, opting for 0 or less when a target race comes up (to ensure my TSB is positive).
LT Intolerant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-09, 08:41 AM   #660
slynkie
negligent.
 
slynkie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: White Plains, NY
Bikes: a few
Posts: 837
Quote:
Originally Posted by LT Intolerant View Post
Conventional wisdom says 4-8 is a sustainable ramp rate over the long term and most power forum geeks have done away w a scheduled rest week taking rest when they feel they need it or when life demands it.

I average a ramp rate of 3-4, opting for 0 or less when a target race comes up (to ensure my TSB is positive).
are you talking percentage points or actual CTL?
slynkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-09, 09:11 AM   #661
umd
Banned
 
umd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Santa Barbara, CA
Bikes: Specialized Tarmac SL2, Specialized Tarmac SL, Giant TCR Composite, Specialized StumpJumper Expert HT
Posts: 28,387
Quote:
Originally Posted by slynkie View Post
are you talking percentage points or actual CTL?
I asked this on the wattage group a little while ago and most of the answers were actual points not percentages.
umd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-09, 09:27 AM   #662
LT Intolerant
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 525
Quote:
Originally Posted by slynkie View Post
are you talking percentage points or actual CTL?
Sorry, I was talking about points.
LT Intolerant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-09, 10:00 AM   #663
Hocam
Ho-Jahm
 
Hocam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Manchester, NH
Bikes:
Posts: 4,228
I was talking about % increase of your TSS since it's a bit tricky to figure out what TSS is required for a CTL ramp rate.
Hocam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-09, 10:09 AM   #664
LT Intolerant
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 525
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hocam View Post
I was talking about % increase of your TSS since it's a bit tricky to figure out what TSS is required for a CTL ramp rate.
I believe the formula for determining what TSS is required to hit a desired ramp rate is...

((Current CTL) + (6*Desired Ramp Rate)*7)= Needed TSS to Achieve Ramp Rate

Last edited by LT Intolerant; 05-04-09 at 10:10 AM. Reason: too many parentheses
LT Intolerant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-09, 10:19 AM   #665
Dubbayoo
Senior Member
 
Dubbayoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Atlanta
Bikes: Pedal Force QS3
Posts: 7,681
I need to raise my threshold in WKO+. I know how to do it but I see the 'effective date' is always grayed out. How can I enter the new number so it doesn't affect past data?
Dubbayoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-09, 10:23 AM   #666
umd
Banned
 
umd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Santa Barbara, CA
Bikes: Specialized Tarmac SL2, Specialized Tarmac SL, Giant TCR Composite, Specialized StumpJumper Expert HT
Posts: 28,387
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubbayoo View Post
I need to raise my threshold in WKO+. I know how to do it but I see the 'effective date' is always grayed out. How can I enter the new number so it doesn't affect past data?
Options > New Zones
umd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-09, 10:27 AM   #667
esammuli
Glimmers of form
 
esammuli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Escondido, CA
Bikes: Cannondale SystemSix 3, Specialized Stumpjumper M4 Comp
Posts: 1,542
Quote:
Originally Posted by LT Intolerant View Post
I believe the formula for determining what TSS is required to hit a desired ramp rate is...

((Current CTL) + (6*Desired Ramp Rate)*7)= Needed TSS to Achieve Ramp Rate
Shouldn't it be


((Current CTL) + (6*Desired Ramp Rate))*7= Ramp Rate ??
esammuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-09, 10:32 AM   #668
Dubbayoo
Senior Member
 
Dubbayoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Atlanta
Bikes: Pedal Force QS3
Posts: 7,681
You're a gentleman and a scholar.
Dubbayoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-09, 10:48 AM   #669
LT Intolerant
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 525
Quote:
Originally Posted by esammuli View Post
Shouldn't it be


((Current CTL) + (6*Desired Ramp Rate))*7= Ramp Rate ??
So lets say my current CTL is 100 and my desired ramp rate is 5....

((100) + (6*5))*7) = 910...the TSS I need to hit to achieve a ramp rate of 5

Maybe I have it wrong?
LT Intolerant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-09, 10:56 AM   #670
esammuli
Glimmers of form
 
esammuli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Escondido, CA
Bikes: Cannondale SystemSix 3, Specialized Stumpjumper M4 Comp
Posts: 1,542
Quote:
Originally Posted by LT Intolerant View Post
So lets say my current CTL is 100 and my desired ramp rate is 5....

((100) + (6*5))*7) = 910...the TSS I need to hit to achieve a ramp rate of 5

Maybe I have it wrong?
That should do it now, except you've got one extra parenthesis at the end. I was just pointing out that the syntax from your original post would have been

((Current CTL) + (6*Desired Ramp Rate)*7)= Needed TSS to Achieve Ramp Rate
100+6*5*7= 310

Now it's (100+6*5)*7=910 which is the desired result (aside from the unpaired parenthesis at the end). I think we've got it settled now.
esammuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-09, 11:03 AM   #671
mikerhymeswith
Officially Foul Mouthed
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Raleigh
Bikes: Ti IF PlanetX, etc.
Posts: 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by umd View Post
For me power on hills vs. flats is a motivational and feedback issue. You let up for a moment on a climb and you slow down immediately. Let up on the flats and it is not immediately obvious if you are not watching your power. In other words, it's too easy too wuss out.
good explanation; this clears up my questions; i have to contend with a lot of rollers; most hills where i live can be put away with 3 minutes or less of FTP and it's hard to increase cadence or shift to keep power constant as you crest a hill, and vice versa after bottoming out; finding a good 5' test spot has been my challenge
mikerhymeswith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-09, 11:04 AM   #672
LT Intolerant
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 525
Quote:
Originally Posted by esammuli View Post
That should do it now, except you've got one extra parenthesis at the end. I was just pointing out that the syntax from your original post would have been

((Current CTL) + (6*Desired Ramp Rate)*7)= Needed TSS to Achieve Ramp Rate
100+6*5*7= 310

Now it's (100+6*5)*7=910 which is the desired result (aside from the unpaired parenthesis at the end). I think we've got it settled now.
Cool. Math was never my strong point. For that matter neither was english, science, etc, etc
LT Intolerant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-09, 11:29 AM   #673
umd
Banned
 
umd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Santa Barbara, CA
Bikes: Specialized Tarmac SL2, Specialized Tarmac SL, Giant TCR Composite, Specialized StumpJumper Expert HT
Posts: 28,387
Check out the 30 day PMC predictor spreadsheet that was posted on the wattage group.
umd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-09, 08:52 PM   #674
Robobo1
Transplant
 
Robobo1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Fuji Cross, Lemond Tourmalet, Specialized Langster
Posts: 518
Quote:
Originally Posted by umd View Post

Not that it is not a reasonable representation of NP, just that you don't want to use an NP with a high VI to estimate FTP as it means you got a lot of "rest" which recharges your AWC which allows you to keep pumping out high-power efforts even though you would not be able to sustain a longer medium-power effort. The NP algorithm causes high power efforts to heavily weight it up, while low-power efforts do not drag it down as quickly as it would for AP. The idea of NP is that it estimates the equivalent metabolic effort, but that doesn't mean you would be able to sustain an equivalent steady-state power without the anaerobic contribution.
What constitutes a high VI?

I'm battling a similar question to the OP of this part of the thread... just did two races this weekend and seem to have blown up my FTP big time. It's time to re-test, but it doesn't fit in the schedule for another couple of weeks (until after the big stage race on Memorial Day weekend).
Robobo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-09, 09:00 PM   #675
umd
Banned
 
umd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Santa Barbara, CA
Bikes: Specialized Tarmac SL2, Specialized Tarmac SL, Giant TCR Composite, Specialized StumpJumper Expert HT
Posts: 28,387
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robobo1 View Post
What constitutes a high VI?

I'm battling a similar question to the OP of this part of the thread... just did two races this weekend and seem to have blown up my FTP big time. It's time to re-test, but it doesn't fit in the schedule for another couple of weeks (until after the big stage race on Memorial Day weekend).
Not sure what the "cutoff" would be but everything I've heard suggests that 1.3 (30% difference between NP and AP) is too variable to be useful for those purposes. Rides I do that don't have excessive amounts of coasting or extreme high power/lower power seem to come in more like 1.1 or less. I don't have a huge amount of experience here so take this with a grain of salt but it seems that if you get any higher than 1.15 you are too much into AWC territory IMO.
umd is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:56 AM.