Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-08-08, 06:10 PM   #1
carlfreddy
Acquiring new target....
Thread Starter
 
carlfreddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: St. Louis, MO
Bikes: Trek XO-1, Gary Fisher Rig
Posts: 1,276
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What is going on at Rock Racing?

Who Made the Cut?

Seriously, what is going on?

Bahati can't be too happy about this, and I'd imagine that Michael Creed isn't exactly glowing over this as well.
carlfreddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-08, 06:28 PM   #2
esammuli
Glimmers of form
 
esammuli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Escondido, CA
Bikes: Cannondale SystemSix 3, Specialized Stumpjumper M4 Comp
Posts: 1,542
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm sure Chris Baldwin is thrilled too.
esammuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-08, 07:09 PM   #3
tbrown524
Robbie McEwen Wannabe
 
tbrown524's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Los Angeles, Ca
Bikes: Trek 2200
Posts: 571
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Dominguez on and Bahati off.. Wow, I guess being a crit champion doesn't help. Although, Dominguez is a much better road racer.

SoCal racing is going to be nice in 2009!!
tbrown524 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-08, 07:09 PM   #4
CrimsonKarter21
Mitcholo
 
CrimsonKarter21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Oost Vlaanderen in mind, Cleveland in body
Bikes: 2010 Mitcholo w/ Sram Force/Red
Posts: 8,850
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well, I'll be racing on the same level with the not-able-to-defend National Crit Champion.
This is serious WTF move.

I hope this pushes Ball to apoligize to the "club" riders and get a Pro Continental license.
CrimsonKarter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-08, 07:14 PM   #5
Duke of Kent
Senior Member
 
Duke of Kent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Blacksburg, VA
Bikes: Yeti ASRc, Focus Raven 29er, Flyxii FR316
Posts: 4,833
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Alex Boyd is a nice kid, and the 2007 Collegiate road race champ, but how does he fit on that roster, and Bahaati not?

I don't get it.

Again, not taking anything away from Alex. Very talented, and he's going places, but Bahaati is already there.

Last edited by Duke of Kent; 12-08-08 at 07:18 PM.
Duke of Kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-08, 07:15 PM   #6
bdcheung
Carpe Diem
 
bdcheung's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: MABRA
Bikes: 2007 CAAD9; 2014 CAADX; PedalForce CG1
Posts: 13,147
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Maybe this is Ball's neophyte attempt at crafting a road racing team
__________________
"When you are chewing the bars at the business end of a 90 mile road race you really dont care what gear you have hanging from your bike so long as it works."
ΛΧΑ ΔΞ179 - 15% off your first Hammer Nutrition order!
bdcheung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-08, 07:59 PM   #7
redal
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Bikes:
Posts: 1,243
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonKarter21 View Post
Well, I'll be racing on the same level with the not-able-to-defend National Crit Champion.
This is serious WTF move.

I hope this pushes Ball to apoligize to the "club" riders and get a Pro Continental license.
If you upgrade to a 1 you might be. I would think Bahati will be able to find ride with someone that has an open spot and just get added late. I've been texting back and forth with him, but haven't been able to get him on the phone because he is busy. He is really pissed. The one good thing about Ball was that he paid well, so if Bahati does find another ride he will probably have to take a pay cut.
redal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-08, 08:02 PM   #8
esammuli
Glimmers of form
 
esammuli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Escondido, CA
Bikes: Cannondale SystemSix 3, Specialized Stumpjumper M4 Comp
Posts: 1,542
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Kent View Post
Alex Boyd is a nice kid, and the 2007 Collegiate road race champ, but how does he fit on that roster, and Bahaati not?

I don't get it.

Again, not taking anything away from Alex. Very talented, and he's going places, but Bahaati is already there.
I think this has something to do with the average age of the riders. To be a Continental Team the average age has to be lower than 28 (or something like that). I'm pretty sure this is just a move to skirt the issue. If they had received Pro Continental Status I believe the roster could have been larger and the age restriction more lax.
esammuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-08, 08:08 PM   #9
CrimsonKarter21
Mitcholo
 
CrimsonKarter21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Oost Vlaanderen in mind, Cleveland in body
Bikes: 2010 Mitcholo w/ Sram Force/Red
Posts: 8,850
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by redal View Post
If you upgrade to a 1 you might be. I would think Bahati will be able to find ride with someone that has an open spot and just get added late. I've been texting back and forth with him, but haven't been able to get him on the phone because he is busy. He is really pissed. The one good thing about Ball was that he paid well, so if Bahati does find another ride he will probably have to take a pay cut.
Man, that's really bad. I like Bahati and was looking forward to watching him win some big crits. I wish him the best.

But there is also a UCI rule that if a pro rider is benched for a few weeks (I can't remember the exact duration) a rider from the lower-level of the team may substitute for him. That's what I've been told about my new team.
CrimsonKarter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-08, 08:18 PM   #10
carlfreddy
Acquiring new target....
Thread Starter
 
carlfreddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: St. Louis, MO
Bikes: Trek XO-1, Gary Fisher Rig
Posts: 1,276
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
There is also the possibility that Bahati could be taking next season "off" to take care of his leg issues.

I highly doubt that Ball would let his bread and butter rider slip away. Bahati and Rock Racing go together like peas and carrots, and Ball knows this.
carlfreddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-08, 08:35 PM   #11
sgrundy
I am the cheese
 
sgrundy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Cycling Purgatory (Brooklyn, NY)
Bikes:
Posts: 236
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by esammuli View Post
I think this has something to do with the average age of the riders. To be a Continental Team the average age has to be lower than 28 (or something like that). I'm pretty sure this is just a move to skirt the issue. If they had received Pro Continental Status I believe the roster could have been larger and the age restriction more lax.
That's what I thought at first, but it doesn't make sense. IIRC, the rule is that a majority of riders need to be under 28, and Bahati is only 27 next year.
sgrundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-08, 08:38 PM   #12
esammuli
Glimmers of form
 
esammuli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Escondido, CA
Bikes: Cannondale SystemSix 3, Specialized Stumpjumper M4 Comp
Posts: 1,542
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ah, good catch.
esammuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-08, 09:01 PM   #13
kudude
slow up hills
 
kudude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Seattle, WA
Bikes: Giant TCR, Redline CX, Ritchey Breakaway, Spec S-works epic
Posts: 4,931
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i don't have anything useful to add to this thread except that I see Fred Rodriguez out riding on occasion. He always smiles/waves when I catch his eye with my (probably) ridiculous wave. The RR gear looks pretty good in person
kudude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-08, 09:21 PM   #14
redal
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Bikes:
Posts: 1,243
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonKarter21 View Post
But there is also a UCI rule that if a pro rider is benched for a few weeks (I can't remember the exact duration) a rider from the lower-level of the team may substitute for him. That's what I've been told about my new team.
I have never heard of that rule. You would have to have a pro license to "substitute" for a rider in a UCI race. If you are a 1, the team can get you a pro license and add you in June or in your case if you are a 1 and under 23 they can add you after August 1. Sometimes riders are added after the December deadline but before the season. Bahati is really good friends with MA Records, so he might end up on the pro team that your team is affiliated with if there is room. Kenda Pro Cycling, right?
redal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-08, 09:22 PM   #15
Dubbayoo
Senior Member
 
Dubbayoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Atlanta
Bikes: Pedal Force QS3
Posts: 7,681
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Sterling Magnell? in place of Bahati, Creed, Baldwin and Grajales? WTF?
Dubbayoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-08, 09:30 PM   #16
redal
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Bikes:
Posts: 1,243
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlfreddy View Post
There is also the possibility that Bahati could be taking next season "off" to take care of his leg issues.

I highly doubt that Ball would let his bread and butter rider slip away. Bahati and Rock Racing go together like peas and carrots, and Ball knows this.
Bahatii is not taking the year off to heal his leg. I rode with him last week and he has been training. We talked last week about some issues that I can't post on this forum, but he was still positive and certain he would ride for Rock. I've texted back and forth with him tonight. This was news to him and he's pissed. It doesn't make sense because he makes the age cut. The only reason that any of the young guys make sense and Bahati doesn't is salary. I thought money didn't matter to Ball?
redal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-08, 09:33 PM   #17
redal
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Bikes:
Posts: 1,243
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubbayoo View Post
Sterling Magnell? in place of Bahati, Creed, Baldwin and Grajales? WTF?
We talked about Sterling a couple of weeks ago. I was pissed because Sterling was getting re-signed and Wisco wasn't. Bahati said Sterling was not going to get re-signed but the guys voted him back on because he had won some races and because he would ride CHEAP!
redal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-08, 09:34 PM   #18
redal
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Bikes:
Posts: 1,243
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbrown524 View Post
Dominguez on and Bahati off.. Wow, I guess being a crit champion doesn't help. Although, Dominguez is a much better road racer.

SoCal racing is going to be nice in 2009!!
I saw you when you were going to get in the ride Saturday. It looked like you had flatted or something.
redal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-08, 09:41 PM   #19
tbrown524
Robbie McEwen Wannabe
 
tbrown524's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Los Angeles, Ca
Bikes: Trek 2200
Posts: 571
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yep, that was me. I rode 20+ miles to meet the group and then flatted as the group was passing.

It was going to be my first Montrose... Hopefully, I'll have better luck next Saturday.
tbrown524 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-08, 10:53 PM   #20
Dubbayoo
Senior Member
 
Dubbayoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Atlanta
Bikes: Pedal Force QS3
Posts: 7,681
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by redal View Post
We talked about Sterling a couple of weeks ago. I was pissed because Sterling was getting re-signed and Wisco wasn't. Bahati said Sterling was not going to get re-signed but the guys voted him back on because he had won some races and because he would ride CHEAP!
I figured something was up when they signed Ivan. It's Kobe & Shaq all over again; not enough ball to go around.
Dubbayoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-08, 12:02 AM   #21
eskimo85
Senior Member
 
eskimo85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Chicago
Bikes: giant comp2 tcr, giant xtc
Posts: 645
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I hope ball is not becoming a cheapie!
eskimo85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-08, 02:29 AM   #22
botto 
.
 
botto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 40,362
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdcheung View Post
Maybe this is Ball's neophyte attempt at crafting a road racing team
he's been in the sport as long as, if not longer, than you.

just sayin'

botto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-08, 08:50 AM   #23
emcb1230
Senior Member
 
emcb1230's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Arlington, VA
Bikes:
Posts: 164
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'd still consider him a neophyte when it comes to managing a cycling team. Three seasons doesn't make a veteran.
emcb1230 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-08, 09:15 AM   #24
bdcheung
Carpe Diem
 
bdcheung's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: MABRA
Bikes: 2007 CAAD9; 2014 CAADX; PedalForce CG1
Posts: 13,147
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by botto View Post
he's been in the sport as long as, if not longer, than you.

just sayin'

didn't know that
__________________
"When you are chewing the bars at the business end of a 90 mile road race you really dont care what gear you have hanging from your bike so long as it works."
ΛΧΑ ΔΞ179 - 15% off your first Hammer Nutrition order!
bdcheung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-08, 09:49 AM   #25
wfrogge
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 3,917
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
bummer
wfrogge is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:53 PM.