Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 34
  1. #1
    Senior Member Nimitz87's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Cooper City, Fl
    My Bikes
    Cannondale CAAD9 R5
    Posts
    765
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    First race 3 weeks away...am I delusional?

    I've only been riding the bike for about 6 months, and just recently started riding in the local group rides in the "B" field ride usually is around 50 miles long or so and speeds from 19-23mph with a few sprint zones and regroup points.

    I noticed that there is a crit race on my 21st birthday and I think it'd be pretty kick ass to race on your 21st instead of out getting drunk like everyone else does.

    I've read pretty much all the race threads, and botto's tips and they have definitely helped.

    but with 6 months experience and only half that with group rides am I delusional in thinking I can ride a cat 5 race? I'm going to do it regardless...but just wanted to see what the "group" thought.

    btw I know it'll be painful, but I am no stranger to pain...I have been on that edge many many many times.

    *shudders bootcamp*

    btw its the Lake Mary Crit north of Orlando that seems to be a tricky course...with cobble stone corners

    course is .8 mile 30 min race.



    what should I be doing for riding for the 3 weeks up to the race?

    Chad

  2. #2
    Snail-paced new boy AlexTaylor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Cheshire, England
    My Bikes
    Colnago Extreme Power, Ribble Winter
    Posts
    1,821
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sprint intervals.

    I just made that up but it sounded good didn't it!?!

    Waterrockets will hopefully be along here with some sound advice shortly...
    Twitter - @NapD
    Current number of working legs - 1************X****2
    eWang - 3X******************4 w/kg

  3. #3
    going roundy round wanders's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    High Point, NC
    Posts
    6,050
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do it. You won't regret it.

    Good luck.
    Quote Originally Posted by CastIron View Post
    Damn.

  4. #4
    The Truth Ih8lucky13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Miami
    My Bikes
    Felt f4c, Felt RXC, Guerciotti Khaybar,Guerciotti EM-2, Cervelo P-3.
    Posts
    2,291
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do it. You would be surpised on all of the different levels of fitness in cat 5.

    Plus its the best learning experience there is.
    Sean Kelly is a god, sure a god that I can't understand a word he is saying, but a god nonetheless.

  5. #5
    old & slow Snap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Fleming Island, FL
    Posts
    269
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is a pretty good course. Plenty of room in the corners. Most of the races stayed together last year.

    Good times!

  6. #6
    Senior Member Nimitz87's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Cooper City, Fl
    My Bikes
    Cannondale CAAD9 R5
    Posts
    765
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wanders View Post
    Do it. You won't regret it.

    Good luck.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ih8lucky13 View Post
    Do it. You would be surpised on all of the different levels of fitness in cat 5.

    Plus its the best learning experience there is.
    oh I will guys, I'm 100% doing this no matter what right now.

    question can I register on bikereg without having a racing license?

    Chad

  7. #7
    The Truth Ih8lucky13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Miami
    My Bikes
    Felt f4c, Felt RXC, Guerciotti Khaybar,Guerciotti EM-2, Cervelo P-3.
    Posts
    2,291
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nimitz87 View Post
    oh I will guys, I'm 100% doing this no matter what right now.

    question can I register on bikereg without having a racing license?

    Chad
    You can get a license instantly from USACyling.

    So even if you need one it should not be a problem.
    Sean Kelly is a god, sure a god that I can't understand a word he is saying, but a god nonetheless.

  8. #8
    bf is my facebook. ljrichar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Greensboro, NC
    Posts
    1,146
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My 1st race ever was last year on my 30th birthday. Do it. Realize that you might get dropped but that's just part of the learning/fitness curve for racing. The true commitment is showing up to those next races to do it all again. Also, you can get a 1 day license on site for $10.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    6,299
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    excellent way to celebrate your 21st b-day.

    only tips that really matter are that you pre-register, your equipment is in sound working order, that you pack your car the night before the race with directions (make a checklist), and that you show up at least 1.5 hrs. prior to your start time on raceday. Once the race starts, all the tips will go out of your mind as the madness ensues.

    have fun!

  10. #10
    My idea of fun kensuf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Gainesville, FL
    My Bikes
    '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '02 Kona Lavadome, '07 Giant TCR Advanced, '07 Karate Monkey
    Posts
    9,742
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Snap View Post
    That is a pretty good course. Plenty of room in the corners. Most of the races stayed together last year.

    Good times!
    It's an easy course. Wide open road, easy turns. Just remember to relax during the race and stay out of the wind.
    Putting the Duh in Floriduh.

  11. #11
    Super Biker Mtn Mike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Spokane WA
    My Bikes
    2008 Lapierre X-Lite, 2006 Serotta Coeur d’Acier, 2005 Independent Fabrication Steel Delux, 2003 Surly 1x1, 2003 Surly Cross Check, 1986 Schwin Worldsport SS commuter, 1980's Mongoose Supergoose
    Posts
    1,183
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep you'll do great. Your rides with the "B" group were probably great preperation.

    Two differences with a crit are 1)faster accelerations and 2) having to corner with the group. I wouldn't worry about it too much, but if you want to do some drills to get ready, practice your lines on corners and practice sprinting. Then again it's only cat 5, so no one else will have much more preperation than you anyway.

  12. #12
    Senior Member dmb2786's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    2,020
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    cut your riding down a bit for one-two weeks before. hopefully someone else can be more specific.
    Quote Originally Posted by zeleuo View Post
    Slamdancing would probably define my style of riding best.

  13. #13
    Primate Metzinger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    gone
    My Bikes
    Concorde Columbus SL, Rocky Mountain Edge, Sparta stadfiets
    Posts
    2,582
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    But don't hang out near the back just bacause you're new.
    Too much 'slinky' effect back there.
    Try to be in 5 to 10th, if possible, most of the time.
    Then jump out for the win!

  14. #14
    Senior Member Nimitz87's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Cooper City, Fl
    My Bikes
    Cannondale CAAD9 R5
    Posts
    765
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MDcatV View Post
    excellent way to celebrate your 21st b-day.

    only tips that really matter are that you pre-register, your equipment is in sound working order, that you pack your car the night before the race with directions (make a checklist), and that you show up at least 1.5 hrs. prior to your start time on raceday. Once the race starts, all the tips will go out of your mind as the madness ensues.

    have fun!
    +1 on the have fun I definitely plan on it...I have a question about warm up...I don't own a trainer/roller and have read that for a short race you need to warm up pretty hard...so what do I do?

    Quote Originally Posted by kensuf View Post
    It's an easy course. Wide open road, easy turns. Just remember to relax during the race and stay out of the wind.
    glad to hear that. the corners look alot tighter in the map picture

    oh and I plan on replacing the crappy tires (they are just about bald anyway) before the race...conti GP4000s' and when I mean before...I mean I'm ordering them today so I will have time to get use to them.

    Chad

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    6,299
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dmb2786 View Post
    cut your riding down a bit for one-two weeks before. hopefully someone else can be more specific.
    no. it's a first race of a long season. OP will be hooked and probably race until october. train as normal.

    edit: warming up. hopefully one of the locals on the forums familiar with this venue can chime in, but just warm up on the roads. everyone warms up differently, but I like to ride around for 20 mins. or so, then do something like 10" to 15" on/ = off for 5 minutes (not maximal but hard accelerations during the "on"), then rest for 5' or so, and do a few sprints. generally speaking, the shorter the race, the longer a warmup should be. seriously though warming up is important, making sure that all your stuff is in order, # pinned on, that you know where you need to go at what time, etc. is a big stress reliever and in this circumstance, IMO, the most important thing to having a fun experience.
    Last edited by MDcatV; 02-03-09 at 07:03 AM.

  16. #16
    My idea of fun kensuf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Gainesville, FL
    My Bikes
    '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '02 Kona Lavadome, '07 Giant TCR Advanced, '07 Karate Monkey
    Posts
    9,742
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nimitz87 View Post
    glad to hear that. the corners look alot tighter in the map picture
    Turn 1 is the only "gotcha" as there's a brick median and the road narrows. It's still very wide open and a fast course. Around turn 2 is an open field, you'll probably catch a cross breeze there.

    The solo flier with 5 laps to go won't work on that course, so don't try it. Trust me, I know. Instead, find a guy sporting a velo brew kit and after he attacks counter.

    Putting the Duh in Floriduh.

  17. #17
    umd
    umd is offline
    Banned umd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Santa Barbara, CA
    My Bikes
    Specialized Tarmac SL2, Specialized Tarmac SL, Giant TCR Composite, Specialized StumpJumper Expert HT
    Posts
    28,343
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    People worry too much about whether or not they are "ready". If you have been riding in groups and you are comfortable, then just do it. It's not like you are racing pros that are expert bike handlers... most everyone in the race will be wondering if they are ready too.

  18. #18
    Senior Member Nimitz87's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Cooper City, Fl
    My Bikes
    Cannondale CAAD9 R5
    Posts
    765
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MDcatV View Post
    no. it's a first race of a long season. OP will be hooked and probably race until october. train as normal.

    edit: warming up. hopefully one of the locals on the forums familiar with this venue can chime in, but just warm up on the roads. everyone warms up differently, but I like to ride around for 20 mins. or so, then do something like 10" to 15" on/ = off for 5 minutes (not maximal but hard accelerations during the "on"), then rest for 5' or so, and do a few sprints. generally speaking, the shorter the race, the longer a warmup should be. seriously though warming up is important, making sure that all your stuff is in order, # pinned on, that you know where you need to go at what time, etc. is a big stress reliever and in this circumstance, IMO, the most important thing to having a fun experience.
    md thanks for the sound advice

    Quote Originally Posted by kensuf View Post
    Turn 1 is the only "gotcha" as there's a brick median and the road narrows. It's still very wide open and a fast course. Around turn 2 is an open field, you'll probably catch a cross breeze there.

    The solo flier with 5 laps to go won't work on that course, so don't try it. Trust me, I know. Instead, find a guy sporting a velo brew kit and after he attacks counter.

    appreciate the tactics advice...now lets hope I'll be there to the end to use it!

    btw guys my Road Racing license is officially #289384 !!!

    I just realized there is also a cat 4/5 race 2 weeks from now right up the street from my house...I could easily ride there. am I getting ahead of myself for thinking of signing up for two races on back to back weekends?

    Chad

  19. #19
    ....gets the cheese Second Mouse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    SLC, Utah
    My Bikes
    Panasonic DX 2000, LeMond Reno, Canondale Caad 8
    Posts
    2,542
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nimitz87 View Post
    md thanks for the sound advice



    appreciate the tactics advice...now lets hope I'll be there to the end to use it!

    btw guys my Road Racing license is officially #289384 !!!

    I just realized there is also a cat 4/5 race 2 weeks from now right up the street from my house...I could easily ride there.
    am I getting ahead of myself for thinking of signing up for two races on back to back weekends?
    Chad
    Not at all. You'll probably be addicted following your first race anyway. Lots of us race weekly, especially crits.

    Good luck and let us know how you did.

  20. #20
    Senior Member Nimitz87's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Cooper City, Fl
    My Bikes
    Cannondale CAAD9 R5
    Posts
    765
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Mouse View Post
    Not at all. You'll probably be addicted following your first race anyway. Lots of us race weekly, especially crits.

    Good luck and let us know how you did.
    most definitely will.

    and I'm pretty sure i'll be hooked hard...

    so new thread title should read "first race in two weeks hell yeah!"

    Chad

  21. #21
    pan y agua merlinextraligh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Jacksonville
    My Bikes
    Wilier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Co-Motion Robusta; Schwinn Paramount; Motobecane Phantom Cross; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er
    Posts
    27,148
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Snap View Post
    That is a pretty good course. Plenty of room in the corners. Most of the races stayed together last year.

    Good times!

    +1. I think it's the easiest course I can think of in Florida. The promoters in fact had in the flyer last year that it was a great course for new racers.


    The turns are easy, which means not only safer for new racers, but also less accordian effect, so it will be easier to hang with the pack.

    As for warming up, it's in an industrial park, and there is plenty of room around the course to ride to warm up.


    The Sanford Crit, (the day before) on the other hand is a bit technical, with cobbles, and 2 turns that are bit narrow (one because of a roundabout, and one because they fence off a lane.)

    Of the 2 Lake Mary would definitely be the easier start. I would definitely go for it.
    You could fall off a cliff and die.
    You could get lost and die.
    You could hit a tree and die.
    OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.

  22. #22
    Rawwrrrrrrrrr! wolfpack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Clayton, NC
    My Bikes
    2009 Specialized Ruby Sworks SL w/SRAM Red; 2006 Fuji Team RC; 2008 Felt F1x; 1980's Lotus Excelle; Mangusta FG/SS; Rossin (yet to be built up)
    Posts
    2,732
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    slight hijack...am i delusional as well to think i can go race the Wolfpack Classice on 2/14 after being in a cast for all of january? hopefully hte damn thing will be off today. if it's not, then i suppose i won't be racin'.
    wolfpackcycles
    skiffrun: Enjoy the ride. Ride for the enjoyment.

  23. #23
    Senior Member Duke of Kent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Upstate NY
    My Bikes
    Focus Raven 29er, Santa Cruz Blur LTc
    Posts
    4,568
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dmb2786 View Post
    cut your riding down a bit for one-two weeks before. hopefully someone else can be more specific.
    Why bother? It's a crit, not the Tour. Do that, and you're just handicapping yourself down the line. Ride easy the day or two before your race, that's all.
    "If a non personal post makes you feel as if you've been attacked, maybe the problem IS you."

  24. #24
    Senior Member Duke of Kent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Upstate NY
    My Bikes
    Focus Raven 29er, Santa Cruz Blur LTc
    Posts
    4,568
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nimitz87 View Post
    but with 6 months experience and only half that with group rides am I delusional in thinking I can ride a cat 5 race? I'm going to do it regardless...but just wanted to see what the "group" thought.
    I raced two or three weeks after getting my bike. Got chopped in the last corner, and ended up as a lawn ornament, but I was in the top 5 before that.

    Quote Originally Posted by Nimitz87 View Post
    what should I be doing for riding for the 3 weeks up to the race?

    Chad
    Riding your bike, just like normal. It's just another ride. Don't over think it.
    "If a non personal post makes you feel as if you've been attacked, maybe the problem IS you."

  25. #25
    Senior Member MONGO!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    4,279
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you can hang on a 50 miler at 19-23mph you'll be fine in a cat 5 race.

    Try to stay near the front and out of the wind.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •