Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-05-09, 08:05 AM   #1
nosferaustin
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
nosferaustin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Salt Lake City (formerlly Austin)
Bikes: 1981 Miyata 710; Specialized Allez Comp
Posts: 105
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Death at Qatar

This is tragic news:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/othe...ng/7871736.stm

"Belgian cyclist Frederiek Nolf has died in his sleep only hours after riding the fourth stage of the Tour of Qatar.

The 21-year-old was a member of the Topsport Vlaanderen-Mercator team, which has now pulled out of the event.

"Our thoughts are with Frederiek's family, his girlfriend and his mates," said a team statement.

As a mark of respect, Thursday's fifth stage has been shortened to 40km and neutralised, meaning that it will not be contested by the riders.

British cyclists Mark Cavendish, Bradley Wiggins, Roger Hammond and Ben Swift are among the riders involved in the tour, which finishes on 6 February.


Seventeen teams have taken part in the six-day race.
Nolf turned professional in 2008 and the Tour of Qatar was his first race of the new season. He finished 90th in Wednesday's 141-kilometre stage four to Madinat Al Shamal, which Cavendish won.

The cause of death is not yet known, but team manager Christophe Sercu said he was not aware of Nolf having any health problems.

The team has now quit the Qatar tour and returned to Belgium.

The last professional rider to die during a race was France's Fabrice Salancon, who passed away in his sleep at the age of 23 during the Tour of Germany in 2003."
nosferaustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-09, 08:20 AM   #2
bdcheung
Carpe Diem
 
bdcheung's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: MABRA
Bikes: 2007 CAAD9; 2014 CAADX; PedalForce CG1
Posts: 13,147
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
People get their cycling news from the strangest sources.
__________________
"When you are chewing the bars at the business end of a 90 mile road race you really dont care what gear you have hanging from your bike so long as it works."
ΛΧΑ ΔΞ179 - 15% off your first Hammer Nutrition order!
bdcheung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-09, 08:59 AM   #3
cat4ever
Cat WTF
 
Join Date: May 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 1,296
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Heart attack and I'm going out on a HUGE limb by saying it was drug related.
cat4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-09, 09:24 AM   #4
Metzinger
Primate
 
Metzinger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: gone
Bikes: Concorde Columbus SL, Rocky Mountain Edge, Sparta stadfiets
Posts: 2,582
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Nice one, cat4ever. I'm sure his family will like to hear that.
Metzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-09, 09:29 AM   #5
gsteinb
out walking the earth
 
gsteinb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: teh Jersey
Bikes:
Posts: 19,851
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
I'm betting they don't read this forum.
gsteinb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-09, 09:31 AM   #6
gsteinb
out walking the earth
 
gsteinb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: teh Jersey
Bikes:
Posts: 19,851
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
btw, happy birthday Red Buttons!
gsteinb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-09, 09:32 AM   #7
substructure
RustyTainte
 
substructure's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: 28012
Bikes: zilch
Posts: 12,343
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cat4ever View Post
Heart attack and I'm going out on a HUGE limb by saying it was drug related.
Well if he had heart issues. Then that could have been what took him. And it doesn't necessarily have to be coupled with drugs of any kind. He could have had warning signs popping up but ignoring them because, well, he's fit.

You don't think of heart related problems when you're in great shape and quite competitive. That's one of the first things a doctor will tell you: "You need to get in better shape. Walk. Eat right. Sleep better. Blah ... blah ... blah." But when you're in top physical form, you think it's something else.

Maybe I over reached.
Maybe it's nerves.
Maybe it's something I ate.
I could be catching a bug.
Etc.
substructure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-09, 09:35 AM   #8
gsteinb
out walking the earth
 
gsteinb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: teh Jersey
Bikes:
Posts: 19,851
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Right and without any evidence that's as likely as it being drug related. Idle speculation in any form is idle speculation.
gsteinb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-09, 09:37 AM   #9
substructure
RustyTainte
 
substructure's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: 28012
Bikes: zilch
Posts: 12,343
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
True. But I'm not going to throw a stone.
substructure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-09, 09:45 AM   #10
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.
 
Psimet2001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Elgin, IL
Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer
Posts: 19,705
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
People dying sucks. You people in good shape dying sucks. Cyclists dying sucks. Family members dying sucks.

That is all.
Psimet2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-09, 09:47 AM   #11
cat4ever
Cat WTF
 
Join Date: May 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 1,296
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We're living in lala land if the immediate thinking is that it is NOT drug related. How many pro cyclists just die in their sleep when it's not drug related? It's going to be a heart attack, most likely from blood thickening due to too many RBC's from EPO. Combine thickened blood with a (probable, due to fitness) low resting heart rate and blood isn't going to the heart. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong.
cat4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-09, 09:48 AM   #12
wfrogge
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 3,917
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cat4ever View Post
Heart attack and I'm going out on a HUGE limb by saying it was drug related.
I think aliens killed him

*have as much proof that happened as he took drugs*
wfrogge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-09, 10:08 AM   #13
bdcheung
Carpe Diem
 
bdcheung's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: MABRA
Bikes: 2007 CAAD9; 2014 CAADX; PedalForce CG1
Posts: 13,147
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cat4ever View Post
We're living in lala land if the immediate thinking is that it is NOT drug related. How many pro cyclists just die in their sleep when it's not drug related?
Can't answer that, but on campus we had a girl die in her sleep recently for no reason.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28813073/
__________________
"When you are chewing the bars at the business end of a 90 mile road race you really dont care what gear you have hanging from your bike so long as it works."
ΛΧΑ ΔΞ179 - 15% off your first Hammer Nutrition order!
bdcheung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-09, 10:19 AM   #14
Coyote2
Senior Member
 
Coyote2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 2,393
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdcheung View Post
Can't answer that, but on campus we had a girl die in her sleep recently for no reason.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28813073/
People don't die "for no reason." Sometimes it's just harder to find the reason.
Coyote2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-09, 10:21 AM   #15
substructure
RustyTainte
 
substructure's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: 28012
Bikes: zilch
Posts: 12,343
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Jeeze. I'm still living with a tad bit of fear every day. Even after the Cardiologist cleared me to train and race. There's still that nagging question. Why was the first EKG different from the rest? Did he miss something?

After every tough training session I always stand quietly to listen to my heart. And feel if it's doing anything odd like before. Or if there's an odd sensation and feeling like before.

This news makes me think again.
substructure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-09, 10:44 AM   #16
rankin116
Senior Member
 
rankin116's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: ChapelBorro NC
Bikes:
Posts: 3,987
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
I read about this before heading to class today and it just happens that the lecture was on calcium signaling in heart and skeletal muscle. People could have defects in these pathways that never materialize into anything physical until they die from it.
rankin116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-09, 11:06 AM   #17
wfrogge
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 3,917
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cat4ever View Post
We're living in lala land if the immediate thinking is that it is NOT drug related. How many pro cyclists just die in their sleep when it's not drug related? It's going to be a heart attack, most likely from blood thickening due to too many RBC's from EPO. Combine thickened blood with a (probable, due to fitness) low resting heart rate and blood isn't going to the heart. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong.
Youre wrong.. thats a stroke not a heart attack

lol
wfrogge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-09, 11:13 AM   #18
DrWJODonnell
Slow'n'Aero
 
DrWJODonnell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Driving the pace in the crosswind
Bikes:
Posts: 2,599
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wfrogge View Post
Youre wrong.. thats a stroke not a heart attack

lol
You need to research your definition of 'stroke.'
DrWJODonnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-09, 11:13 AM   #19
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.
 
Psimet2001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Elgin, IL
Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer
Posts: 19,705
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rankin116 View Post
I read about this before heading to class today and it just happens that the lecture was on calcium signaling in heart and skeletal muscle. People could have defects in these pathways that never materialize into anything physical until they die from it.
I think you missed the memo. Everything bad that happens in cycling is because of drugs.





Psimet2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-09, 11:34 AM   #20
EventServices
Announcer
 
EventServices's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Detroit's North Side.
Bikes: Many
Posts: 5,075
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I assume that all great answers have come from jumping to conclusions.
EventServices is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-09, 11:34 AM   #21
San Rensho 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 5,547
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsteinb View Post
Right and without any evidence that's as likely as it being drug related. Idle speculation in any form is idle speculation.
Ah, but if it weren't for idle speculation, half the posts in BF would not exist.

So I'll add mine. The first thing I though of was blood doping. Too many red blood cells makes the blood thick, add dehydration from the stage effort and you have the perfect conditions for death in your sleep.
__________________
Il faut de l'audace, encore de l'audace, toujours de l'audace

1980 3Rensho-- 1975 Raleigh Sprite 3spd
1990s Raleigh M20 MTB--2007 Windsor Hour (track)
1988 Ducati 750 F1
San Rensho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-09, 11:37 AM   #22
umd
Banned
 
umd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Santa Barbara, CA
Bikes: Specialized Tarmac SL2, Specialized Tarmac SL, Giant TCR Composite, Specialized StumpJumper Expert HT
Posts: 28,387
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cat4ever View Post
We're living in lala land if the immediate thinking is that it is NOT drug related. How many pro cyclists just die in their sleep when it's not drug related? It's going to be a heart attack, most likely from blood thickening due to too many RBC's from EPO. Combine thickened blood with a (probable, due to fitness) low resting heart rate and blood isn't going to the heart. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong.
Quote:
Originally Posted by substructure View Post
Jeeze. I'm still living with a tad bit of fear every day. Even after the Cardiologist cleared me to train and race. There's still that nagging question. Why was the first EKG different from the rest? Did he miss something?

After every tough training session I always stand quietly to listen to my heart. And feel if it's doing anything odd like before. Or if there's an odd sensation and feeling like before.

This news makes me think again.
Honestly, you were the first thing I thought of when I read this... Heart issues are heart issues. I don't think it's reasonable to assume that it has to be, or is even necessarily likely to be, because of drug use.
umd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-09, 11:49 AM   #23
Enthalpic
Killing Rabbits
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 5,142
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by umd View Post
Honestly, you were the first thing I thought of when I read this... Heart issues are heart issues. I don't think it's reasonable to assume that it has to be, or is even necessarily likely to be, because of drug use.
You say this as if you’re sure subby didn’t take any “supplements.”
Enthalpic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-09, 11:52 AM   #24
umd
Banned
 
umd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Santa Barbara, CA
Bikes: Specialized Tarmac SL2, Specialized Tarmac SL, Giant TCR Composite, Specialized StumpJumper Expert HT
Posts: 28,387
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enthalpic View Post
You say this as if you’re sure subby didn’t take any “supplements.”
umd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-09, 11:53 AM   #25
brittle
--
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Bikes:
Posts: 50
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by EventServices View Post
I assume that all great answers have come from jumping to conclusions.
Hey, if enough posters jump to enough plausible but unsupported conclusions, one of them will probably be right ...
brittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:58 AM.