Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-07-09, 10:33 AM   #1
dws5b
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Ketchum Id.
Bikes: Scott CR1
Posts: 348
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Heart rate vs power meter

Glad I did not waste my money on a power meter. Sorry if this was posted before.

http://www.bicycling.com/article/0,6...8611-1,00.html
dws5b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-09, 11:31 AM   #2
asgelle
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Bikes:
Posts: 3,214
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Yup. No point buying a tool if you don't know how to use it.
asgelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-09, 11:37 AM   #3
euphoria
Senior Member
 
euphoria's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Dallas
Bikes:
Posts: 1,531
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by asgelle View Post
Yup. No point buying a tool if you don't know how to use it.
I know it's just Bicycling but we can assume in good faith they did proper LT and MAP testing. Over half the board trains with power so it doesn't take Nostradamus to see where this ship is sailing.
euphoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-09, 11:51 AM   #4
asgelle
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Bikes:
Posts: 3,214
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by euphoria View Post
I know it's just Bicycling but we can assume in good faith they did proper LT and MAP testing.
You assume a lot. The Bicycling article is a summary of a single research paper focusing on a very specific and limited application of a power meter or heart rate monitor. There is some dispute about the validity of the results; but ignoring that, the most that can be said is there was no difference in performance when the power meter and HRM were applied in that one specific way. The paper never explored the question of whether that was the appropriate manner to employ those tools.
asgelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-09, 12:19 PM   #5
Fat Boy
Wheelsuck
 
Fat Boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 6,158
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So the research says that 2 groups of people doing identical workouts performed statistically equal in terms of improvement. All that this proves is that bolting a powertap on your bike does not necessarily make you faster. Thank you, Bicycling. (BTW, I don't have a power device, but I'd love to. The whole idea is to use it to train differently and more effectively. Duh!)
Fat Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-09, 08:24 PM   #6
ldesfor1@ithaca
Senior Member
 
ldesfor1@ithaca's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Newton Ctr. MA
Bikes: 2 cdale Caad7. Scatantte CX/winter bike. SS commuter.
Posts: 2,109
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
what to I type to make a "shakes head in disappointment" face?
ldesfor1@ithaca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-09, 08:25 PM   #7
umd
Banned
 
umd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Santa Barbara, CA
Bikes: Specialized Tarmac SL2, Specialized Tarmac SL, Giant TCR Composite, Specialized StumpJumper Expert HT
Posts: 28,387
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The picard facepalm image works nicely
umd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-09, 08:26 PM   #8
ldesfor1@ithaca
Senior Member
 
ldesfor1@ithaca's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Newton Ctr. MA
Bikes: 2 cdale Caad7. Scatantte CX/winter bike. SS commuter.
Posts: 2,109
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
close enough.
ldesfor1@ithaca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-09, 08:27 PM   #9
ldesfor1@ithaca
Senior Member
 
ldesfor1@ithaca's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Newton Ctr. MA
Bikes: 2 cdale Caad7. Scatantte CX/winter bike. SS commuter.
Posts: 2,109
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by umd View Post
The picard facepalm image works nicely
very true..... can a I get a "Pickard Facepalm" please?
ldesfor1@ithaca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-09, 08:34 PM   #10
Hocam
Ho-Jahm
 
Hocam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Manchester, NH
Bikes:
Posts: 4,228
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
That article doesn't even make sense.

Quote:
half the riders performed intervals at 80 percent of their peak power while the other group used their heart-rate readings that coincided with 80 percent of peak power. Their twice-a-week workouts consisted of eight four-minute intervals with 90 seconds of rest.
80% of your peak power for 4 minutes? I don't think that is humanly possible.

Do they mean 80% of your peak 4 minute power?
Hocam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-09, 08:36 PM   #11
umd
Banned
 
umd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Santa Barbara, CA
Bikes: Specialized Tarmac SL2, Specialized Tarmac SL, Giant TCR Composite, Specialized StumpJumper Expert HT
Posts: 28,387
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ldesfor1@ithaca View Post
very true..... can a I get a "Pickard Facepalm" please?
umd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-09, 08:39 PM   #12
ldesfor1@ithaca
Senior Member
 
ldesfor1@ithaca's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Newton Ctr. MA
Bikes: 2 cdale Caad7. Scatantte CX/winter bike. SS commuter.
Posts: 2,109
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
ldesfor1@ithaca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-09, 12:48 AM   #13
nitropowered
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Athens, Ohio
Bikes: Custom Custom Custom
Posts: 5,104
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
sorry, but i'll stick to my powermeter. HR is nearly useless.
nitropowered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-09, 06:23 AM   #14
bdcheung
Carpe Diem
 
bdcheung's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: MABRA
Bikes: 2007 CAAD9; 2014 CAADX; PedalForce CG1
Posts: 13,147
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I wonder... do any power meter manufacturers advertise/support/sponsor Bicycling Magazine?
__________________
"When you are chewing the bars at the business end of a 90 mile road race you really dont care what gear you have hanging from your bike so long as it works."
ΛΧΑ ΔΞ179 - 15% off your first Hammer Nutrition order!
bdcheung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-09, 07:50 AM   #15
92degrees
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: in the shade
Bikes: too few
Posts: 492
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
based on two workouts a week for four weeks. that's some sample.
92degrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-09, 07:56 AM   #16
ljrichar
bf is my facebook.
 
ljrichar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Greensboro, NC
Bikes:
Posts: 1,156
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dws5b View Post
Glad I did not waste my money on a power meter.
ljrichar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-09, 08:05 AM   #17
dws5b
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Ketchum Id.
Bikes: Scott CR1
Posts: 348
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I failed because I did not spend $1200 minimum on a power meter that may or may not help me ride my bike faster? I can live with that. I have been riding/racing for almost 20 years now and have seen every kind of wonder thing that will make you faster, I think Eddy had it right when asked how he trains. I ride my bike a lot.
dws5b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-09, 08:13 AM   #18
asgelle
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Bikes:
Posts: 3,214
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dws5b View Post
I failed because I did not spend $1200 minimum on a power meter that may or may not help me ride my bike faster? I can live with that. I have been riding/racing for almost 20 years now and have seen every kind of wonder thing that will make you faster, I think Eddy had it right when asked how he trains. I ride my bike a lot.
You failed because you have no idea of how much a power meter costs in the real world. You failed because you tried to justify your preconceptions with a bad summary of a weak publication. If you don't want to train with a powermeter, fine; just don't try to argue there's no benefit for the rest of us. And you failed because you were unable to distinguish between advances that truly benefit performance (aerobars, deep profile rims, ...) from those that do not.

You also may want to go back and take a closer look at Merckx's career. He was well known for taking advantage of every technical development available to him. Had he had the chance, he would have been one of the first to adopt power-based training.
asgelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-09, 09:49 AM   #19
dws5b
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Ketchum Id.
Bikes: Scott CR1
Posts: 348
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by asgelle View Post
You failed because you have no idea of how much a power meter costs in the real world. You failed because you tried to justify your preconceptions with a bad summary of a weak publication. If you don't want to train with a powermeter, fine; just don't try to argue there's no benefit for the rest of us. And you failed because you were unable to distinguish between advances that truly benefit performance (aerobars, deep profile rims, ...) from those that do not.

You also may want to go back and take a closer look at Merckx's career. He was well known for taking advantage of every technical development available to him. Had he had the chance, he would have been one of the first to adopt power-based training.
I have fun riding my bike and I race pretty well, but according to you I fail because I do not have a power meter, I personally do not know the Sport Science Institute of South Africa but apparently you are much smarter than them and me and have seen a dramatic increase in your speed since having one. I just hope we never meet in a race as you and your power meter would certainly crush me. I did not say it could not help some, all I said was I am glad I did not waste my money on one. I am not against power meters I just do not think think the cost is worth it. If I had bought one I would probably try to justify it too.
dws5b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-09, 09:58 AM   #20
asgelle
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Bikes:
Posts: 3,214
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dws5b View Post
I am not against power meters I just do not think think the cost is worth it.
You can't get through even one sentence without contradicting yourself. You say you're not against power meters, but then say they're not worth the money (at a cost you inflated by almost 100%). If you'd written, "I don't think the cost is worth it to me," everyone would have yawned and gone on their way. By writing what you did, however, you took it a step further and tried to generalize to all the rest of us; each with his or her own goals, training time, and resources (financial and otherwise). By doing so, you failed.

As to being smarter than the Sport Science Institute of South Africa, you're the one who took the information in their paper and drew conclusions well beyond what they were willing publish. It would seem you're the one who thinks he's smarter than they are.
asgelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-09, 09:59 AM   #21
efficiency
Does Not Exist
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Voltairia
Bikes:
Posts: 2,094
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by euphoria View Post
I know it's just Bicycling but we can assume in good faith they did proper LT and MAP testing. Over half the board trains with power so it doesn't take Nostradamus to see where this ship is sailing.
It wasn't bicycling who did this study.

http://www.nsca-jscr.org/pt/re/jscr/...195629!8091!-1

Here is the abstract:
Swart, J, Lamberts, RP, Derman, W, and Lambert, MI. Effects of high-intensity training by heart rate or power in well-trained cyclists. J Strength Cond Res 23(2): 619-625, 2009-The aim of this study was to determine whether the performance of cyclists after 4 weeks of high-intensity training improved similarly using either heart rate or power to prescribe training. Twenty-one well-trained men cyclists (age, 32 6 years; peak power output, 371 46 W) were randomly assigned to a power-based (GPOWER) or heart rate-based (GHEART) high-intensity training (HIT) group or a control group (GCONTROL). Training consisted of 8 repetitions of 4 minutes at either 80% of peak power output (GPOWER) or at the heart rate coinciding with 80% of peak power output (GHEART), with rest periods of 90 seconds. A 40-km time trial and V̇o2max test were performed before and after 8 training sessions. There were significant improvements (p < 0.05) in peak power output (GPOWER = 3.5%; GHEART = 5.0%) and 40-km time trial performance (GPOWER = 2.3%; GHEART = 2.1%) for both of the high-intensity groups. Although there were no significant differences between groups for these variables, when the data were analyzed using magnitude-based effects, the GHEART group showed greater probability of a beneficial effect for peak power output. The current general perception that prescribing training based only on power is more effective than prescribing training based on heart rate was not supported by the data from this study. Coaches who are unable to monitor progress frequently should prescribe training based on heart rate, when intervals are performed under stable conditions, because this may provide an additional advantage over prescribing training using power.


Notes:
They used trained subjects.
Intervals were 8x4 minutes, 90 seconds rest
The abstract does not explain how the 80% figures (GPOWER and GHEART) were determined.
efficiency is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-09, 10:04 AM   #22
efficiency
Does Not Exist
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Voltairia
Bikes:
Posts: 2,094
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Concerning cost:
A refurb Garmin Edge 305 can be had for $200. Cheap models cost less than $50.
The lowest I've seen a Powertap already laced to a wheel is about $700.

A power meter costs about 3 times as much as a good heart rate monitor. At what point will this 3x factor become worthwhile?
efficiency is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-09, 10:09 AM   #23
nitropowered
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Athens, Ohio
Bikes: Custom Custom Custom
Posts: 5,104
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by efficiency View Post
It wasn't bicycling who did this study.

http://www.nsca-jscr.org/pt/re/jscr/...195629!8091!-1

peak power output, 371 46 W
A peak power of only 371 46 W using well trained athletes!? I'm sure they ment threshold power
nitropowered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-09, 10:11 AM   #24
Hocam
Ho-Jahm
 
Hocam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Manchester, NH
Bikes:
Posts: 4,228
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dws5b View Post
I have fun riding my bike and I race pretty well, but according to you I fail because I do not have a power meter, I personally do not know the Sport Science Institute of South Africa but apparently you are much smarter than them and me and have seen a dramatic increase in your speed since having one. I just hope we never meet in a race as you and your power meter would certainly crush me. I did not say it could not help some, all I said was I am glad I did not waste my money on one. I am not against power meters I just do not think think the cost is worth it. If I had bought one I would probably try to justify it too.
To me it was take a pound or two of weight off the bike, or buy something that can help me get faster. So the $660 powertap wheel makes a lot more sense than some carbon cranks or weight weenie parts.

http://www.competitivecyclist.com/ro...905.380.0.html
Hocam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-09, 10:20 AM   #25
dws5b
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Ketchum Id.
Bikes: Scott CR1
Posts: 348
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by efficiency View Post
It wasn't bicycling who did this study.

http://www.nsca-jscr.org/pt/re/jscr/...195629!8091!-1

Here is the abstract:
Swart, J, Lamberts, RP, Derman, W, and Lambert, MI. Effects of high-intensity training by heart rate or power in well-trained cyclists. J Strength Cond Res 23(2): 619-625, 2009-The aim of this study was to determine whether the performance of cyclists after 4 weeks of high-intensity training improved similarly using either heart rate or power to prescribe training. Twenty-one well-trained men cyclists (age, 32 6 years; peak power output, 371 46 W) were randomly assigned to a power-based (GPOWER) or heart rate-based (GHEART) high-intensity training (HIT) group or a control group (GCONTROL). Training consisted of 8 repetitions of 4 minutes at either 80% of peak power output (GPOWER) or at the heart rate coinciding with 80% of peak power output (GHEART), with rest periods of 90 seconds. A 40-km time trial and V̇o2max test were performed before and after 8 training sessions. There were significant improvements (p < 0.05) in peak power output (GPOWER = 3.5%; GHEART = 5.0%) and 40-km time trial performance (GPOWER = 2.3%; GHEART = 2.1%) for both of the high-intensity groups. Although there were no significant differences between groups for these variables, when the data were analyzed using magnitude-based effects, the GHEART group showed greater probability of a beneficial effect for peak power output. The current general perception that prescribing training based only on power is more effective than prescribing training based on heart rate was not supported by the data from this study. Coaches who are unable to monitor progress frequently should prescribe training based on heart rate, when intervals are performed under stable conditions, because this may provide an additional advantage over prescribing training using power.


Notes:
They used trained subjects.
Intervals were 8x4 minutes, 90 seconds rest
The abstract does not explain how the 80% figures (GPOWER and GHEART) were determined.
What would have been cool with the study was a group not using either. I wonder if just doing the training increased both groups and the computer did little.
dws5b is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:22 PM.