Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-07-09, 10:55 PM   #1
obie
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
obie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: costa mesa, ca
Bikes:
Posts: 719
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Cycling Hall of Fame

www.cyclinghalloffame.com

Does anyone else find it odd that they don't revise their 'All-Time Riders' rankings after dope disclosures?

Looking at the site today, some of the birthday boys this week are Riis and Hamilton. Neither Riis' own admission about his doping during '96 TdF win or Hamiltons tarnished '04 Olympics seems to bother the HoF site and, in fact, these revelations aren't even mentioned.

Is this site wack? Does anyone even give two whatevers that Cycling HoF does these rankings?

Is there another rider ranking site out there?
obie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-09, 11:41 PM   #2
obie
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
obie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: costa mesa, ca
Bikes:
Posts: 719
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think this is the kind of entry you make when you're dealing with doping controversy:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bjarne_Riis


I posted the Wiki entry because it makes mention of the official TdF position on the Riis' admissions vis-a-vis '96. That's how I would like to see a lot of these HoF riders reviewed. It's the right way to address a very old problem.
obie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-09, 12:34 AM   #3
Cervelo
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Bikes:
Posts: 33
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Eddie Merckx tested positive three times more in his career than Bjarne Riis and twice more than Tyler Hamilton so I guess by your reasoning he should be out of the hall of fame as well. Just sayin.
Cervelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-09, 08:44 AM   #4
obie
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
obie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: costa mesa, ca
Bikes:
Posts: 719
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cervelo View Post
Eddie Merckx tested positive three times more in his career than Bjarne Riis and twice more than Tyler Hamilton so I guess by your reasoning he should be out of the hall of fame as well. Just sayin.


Just throw an " * "behind his name and state the facts.

It seems like sloppy journalism to skip over the cheaters doping history and, to me at least, pretend it's a level playing field.

Maybe make a two-tier collection of former great riders and have Michael Ball coordinate the sinners Hall selection?
obie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-09, 10:03 AM   #5
botto 
.
 
botto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 40,362
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by obie View Post
www .cyclinghalloffame.com

Does anyone else find it odd that they don't revise their 'All-Time Riders' rankings after dope disclosures?

Looking at the site today, some of the birthday boys this week are Riis and Hamilton. Neither Riis' own admission about his doping during '96 TdF win or Hamiltons tarnished '04 Olympics seems to bother the HoF site and, in fact, these revelations aren't even mentioned.

Is this site wack? Does anyone even give two whatevers that Cycling HoF does these rankings?

Is there another rider ranking site out there?
nope.
botto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-09, 10:24 AM   #6
harlond
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Richmond, VA
Bikes: Torelli Titanio; Serotta Atlanta Concept; Bridgestone MB4, Raleigh Twenty, Bike Friday Family Tandem
Posts: 394
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by obie View Post
www.cyclinghalloffame.com

Does anyone else find it odd that they don't revise their 'All-Time Riders' rankings after dope disclosures?
How would you propose CHOF do that?

The 1996 TdF seems like a tough place to start making such adjustments. Giving the winner's points to Ullrich or Virenque doesn't exactly fix the problem. YMMV.
harlond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-09, 12:45 PM   #7
Laggard
Lance Hater
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Los Angeles
Bikes:
Posts: 4,401
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Sorry but it's a none issue. I think nothing less of Merckx knowing that he tested positive and could not care less if there's an * after his name indicating so.
Laggard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-09, 12:48 PM   #8
obie
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
obie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: costa mesa, ca
Bikes:
Posts: 719
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by harlond View Post
How would you propose CHOF do that?

The 1996 TdF seems like a tough place to start making such adjustments. Giving the winner's points to Ullrich or Virenque doesn't exactly fix the problem. YMMV.
First read the Wiki profile of Riis. It explains what TdF did to make light of what Riis admitted in '07.

That's the way, IMO, it should be handled - give the doper his due.

The CHOF? I also asked what/who this is. I don't know cycling history like some of you guys. I was asking if the CHOF site holds any weight with racers. Also, if CHOF is a lightweight - where would I find another place to get a points system and subsequent rating of riders?
obie is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:01 AM.