Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-23-09, 09:04 PM   #1
asmallsol
Cat3.*....Cat2
Thread Starter
 
asmallsol's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Livonia, MI
Bikes: A lot.
Posts: 2,171
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
In 6 days I have 6 Options

The race season is about to finally get under way. This weekend, I have 6 races to pick from in Southern Michigan:

Saturday:
Barry Roubaix (31 or 62 miles, with some dirt sections. More of a cross course)
Michigan State U. Road race. 4 mile square with 1 mile of dirt. Did it last year. Wasn't a fan
Waterford Hills Raceway Crit/circuit. Just a training series but on a freakin race track. How cool is that.

Sunday
UofMichigan Crit. Great course
Industrial Complex Crit Training Series.
UofMichigan ITT. Twice as long as last year. Its more of a 7 miles of pretty steep rollers and twisty turns.

I'll be doing the Raceway and the two UofM races. I can't wait.
asmallsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-09, 11:48 PM   #2
Frunkin
nom nom nom
 
Frunkin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Wisconsin
Bikes: Lemond Tete de Course, Slingshot DDX, Fuji Track Pro, Surly Steamroller
Posts: 2,096
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'll be doing all 3 of those collegiate races.
How ****ty is the dirt section in the RR?
Frunkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-09, 06:13 AM   #3
asmallsol
Cat3.*....Cat2
Thread Starter
 
asmallsol's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Livonia, MI
Bikes: A lot.
Posts: 2,171
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It depend on weather conditions. Last year, it had snowed a few days before, and melted between that time and the race. The road ended up being pretty soft and made for some sketchy riding. Last year, every time the main field hit the dirt section, the speed would increase by 3-4 mph to try and shake off anyone who wasn't confident with their bike handling skills.

Looking at the forcast, I am extremely glad I'm doing the racetrack race (flying rhino spring training series if you want to google it up.)
asmallsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-09, 06:32 AM   #4
botto 
.
 
botto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 40,363
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by asmallsol View Post
It depend on weather conditions. Last year, it had snowed a few days before, and melted between that time and the race. The road ended up being pretty soft and made for some sketchy riding. Last year, every time the main field hit the dirt section, the speed would increase by 3-4 mph to try and shake off anyone who wasn't confident with their bike handling skills.

Looking at the forcast, I am extremely glad I'm doing the racetrack race (flying rhino spring training series if you want to google it up.)
if rain is in the forecast, you're going to regret it. big time.
botto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-09, 07:06 AM   #5
asmallsol
Cat3.*....Cat2
Thread Starter
 
asmallsol's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Livonia, MI
Bikes: A lot.
Posts: 2,171
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by botto View Post
if rain is in the forecast, you're going to regret it. big time.
Not to mention if their is rain 3-4 days prior to the race.
asmallsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-09, 08:38 AM   #6
marsh283
Senior Member
 
marsh283's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: EL, MI
Bikes:
Posts: 133
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Im doing barry-roubaix and the fisk knob TT the next day. Hopefully the course for the roubaix will allow me to use my roadie, i have no cross bike. Have you hear anything specifically about that course thats not on the website?
marsh283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-09, 09:24 AM   #7
brian416
Roadie
 
brian416's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Traverse City, MI
Bikes:
Posts: 1,442
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
From what I've heard you want a cross or even mountain bike for the Barry-Roubaix, not a road bike
brian416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-09, 10:06 AM   #8
Fat Boy
Wheelsuck
 
Fat Boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 6,158
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by asmallsol View Post
Looking at the forcast, I am extremely glad I'm doing the racetrack race (flying rhino spring training series if you want to google it up.)
If it's wet, you need to stay off the car rubber. The car racing line will get slick as snot, so what you end up doing is staying to the outside of the corners and when you have to cross the rubbered-in parts, you do so in a straight line. All other wet racing rules apply, but this is somewhat different than your average industrial park.
Fat Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-09, 11:16 AM   #9
asmallsol
Cat3.*....Cat2
Thread Starter
 
asmallsol's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Livonia, MI
Bikes: A lot.
Posts: 2,171
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Boy View Post
If it's wet, you need to stay off the car rubber. The car racing line will get slick as snot, so what you end up doing is staying to the outside of the corners and when you have to cross the rubbered-in parts, you do so in a straight line. All other wet racing rules apply, but this is somewhat different than your average industrial park.
Cool, thanks for the advise.
asmallsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:03 AM.