by johnkscott on May.02, 2009, under Cycling
I entered my first bike race today. 24 mile Sumner County Classic Road Race. Sorry, no pictures. It was kind of chilly and wet so I pretty much finished up and got into dry clothes. I don’t know my exact results yet. I didn’t make the top 20 which were posted at the race sight so I don’t know my exact placing. I DO know that there was at least one person behind me.
So…I finished and I wasn’t DFL (Dead…Last). Is it better if you abbrevieate it LOL? That’s jus how everyone knows it!
Anyway, I learned some things about racing today…
1. I REALLY need to increase my fitness if I actually want to “race”. I basically just did a fast solo ride today
2. I need to learn to “suffer” more early on the bike to keep up with the pack
3. I need to warm up better. I couldn’t keep pace early and got “dropped”. However, it seemed I was able to push harder later. Too later!
4. You don’t have to worry about crashing with other racers if you get dropped
5. There are other 46 year old Cat 5 racers. Yay!
6. I’m not very artsy craftsy. Pinning my numbers on was one of the hardest things about the race
7. Despite finishing toward the bottom. Racing is still fun!
Now…when is the next race!