Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-06-09, 06:18 PM   #1
powpow
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
powpow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Berkeley, CA
Bikes:
Posts: 1,075
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
One month to a hill climb...

...and I need some recommendations for repeats/intervals.

I've never done structured hill repeats, but most of my rides have lots of climbing (+110 vert/mile).

Anyway, the race finishes with some painfully steep grades, so I'd like to do some interval work to get ready.

So, I have a perfect climb outside my door: takes about 4-5 minutes to climb, averages 7-10%, with areas of 13%.

Thoughts? Also, how many times per week should I do these?

Thanks.
powpow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-09, 07:04 PM   #2
Val23708
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: NorCal
Bikes: Cervelo R3 (Force)
Posts: 2,457
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
do repeats on 3 bears. like the circuit 3 times at threshold
Val23708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-09, 08:21 PM   #3
powpow
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
powpow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Berkeley, CA
Bikes:
Posts: 1,075
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks, but I was looking for something a bit more structured. Shorter reps with high intensity.
powpow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-09, 08:23 PM   #4
Dubbayoo
Senior Member
 
Dubbayoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Atlanta
Bikes: Pedal Force QS3
Posts: 7,681
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
4 times, twice a week.
Dubbayoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-09, 11:48 PM   #5
Duke of Kent
Senior Member
 
Duke of Kent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Blacksburg, VA
Bikes: Yeti ASRc, Focus Raven 29er, Flyxii FR316
Posts: 4,833
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by powpow View Post
Thanks, but I was looking for something a bit more structured. Shorter reps with high intensity.
Given the lack of information, the first person who responded gave you some pretty sound advice.

Also, if you're so quick to ignore his advice, why are you asking the question in the first place?
Duke of Kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-09, 11:54 PM   #6
MtnRide
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Kalifornia
Bikes: '07 Excalibur, '08 Anthem 1, and some others
Posts: 287
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by powpow View Post
Thanks, but I was looking for something a bit more structured. Shorter reps with high intensity.
If the race is Ross's hillclimb, I don't think this (short intervals) will help as much as the longer threshold intervals suggested here.
MtnRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-09, 12:33 AM   #7
powpow
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
powpow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Berkeley, CA
Bikes:
Posts: 1,075
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Kent View Post
Given the lack of information, the first person who responded gave you some pretty sound advice.

Also, if you're so quick to ignore his advice, why are you asking the question in the first place?
Sheesh, relax. I appreciate his advice, but he suggested a local ride that I/we do all the time, and I was looking for some interval/repeat advice on the hill that I described in my original post. Like I said, I've never done structured intervals/repeats, and I was hoping to learn what works for others.

Thanks Duke!
powpow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-09, 12:50 AM   #8
powpow
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
powpow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Berkeley, CA
Bikes:
Posts: 1,075
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnRide View Post
If the race is Ross's hillclimb, I don't think this (short intervals) will help as much as the longer threshold intervals suggested here.
Yep, that's the ride.

Thanks.
powpow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-09, 01:23 AM   #9
celticfrost
Raising the Abyss
 
celticfrost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: TTing on the MUP
Bikes: Expensive ones that I ride slowly
Posts: 3,804
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by powpow View Post
Sheesh, relax. I appreciate his advice, but he suggested a local ride that I/we do all the time, and I was looking for some interval/repeat advice on the hill that I described in my original post. Like I said, I've never done structured intervals/repeats, and I was hoping to learn what works for others.

Thanks Duke!
I believe(?) that Duke was suggesting that you give more info about the hill climb you’re prepping for relative to the climb outside your door. The only info you give about the hill climb is “the race finishes with some painfully steep grades”.

Sounds like you may have a good climb outside your door for training, but what’s the distance and grade of the actual hill climb competition?
__________________
"...in Las Vegas where -the electric bills are staggering -the decor hog wild -and the entertainment saccharine -what a golden age -what a time of right and reason -the consumer's king -and unhappiness is treason..."
celticfrost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-09, 01:28 AM   #10
powpow
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
powpow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Berkeley, CA
Bikes:
Posts: 1,075
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by celticfrost View Post
I believe(?) that Duke was suggesting that you give more info about the hill climb you’re prepping for relative to the climb outside your door. The only info you give about the hill climb is “the race finishes with some painfully steep grades”.

Sounds like you may have a good climb outside your door for training, but what’s the distance and grade of the actual hill climb competition?
It's 18 miles with 3800 vert, most of which comes in the last 11 miles.

Here is the elevation profile from the site:





Thanks.

Last edited by powpow; 05-07-09 at 01:34 AM.
powpow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-09, 02:06 AM   #11
celticfrost
Raising the Abyss
 
celticfrost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: TTing on the MUP
Bikes: Expensive ones that I ride slowly
Posts: 3,804
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Nice climb – looks like the actual climbing portion is ~8% for 9 miles (ouch). I’m not a climber, so I’m thinking if you can avg 9mph then you’ll be climbing for an hour on race day – which may mean the 4-5 min climb outside your door isn’t the best training tool. I suggest you practice on the race course itself in phases so there are no surprises.

-Phase 1 for 1 week (3 climbing days) = the entire race course.
-Phase 2 for 10 days (~4-5 climbing days) = do the entire race course, descend back to mile 15 and then climb to top AGAIN.
-Phase 3 for 10 days (~4-5 climbing days) = do the entire race course, descend to beginning of climb (@ mile 7), then climb to top AGAIN.

Spend a few days p/ wk doing tempo/aerobic work for a few hours, plus at least 1 day of rest.

Rest/spin for 2-3 days prior to race.

Also, warm up for a good 20 min before the race. Looks like there’s a bit of reprieve from miles 13.5 to 15.5 – take those 2 miles to slam some gels/calories and take a break.
__________________
"...in Las Vegas where -the electric bills are staggering -the decor hog wild -and the entertainment saccharine -what a golden age -what a time of right and reason -the consumer's king -and unhappiness is treason..."
celticfrost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-09, 02:12 AM   #12
MtnRide
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Kalifornia
Bikes: '07 Excalibur, '08 Anthem 1, and some others
Posts: 287
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
2x20 min on Diablo repeats (school to entrance? use descent as break between intervals) these should be done as hard as repeatedly possible

2 x Diablo repeats (school to ranger station, or go to the top) on weekends

1/week do 3-5x5 min intervals on that local hill, 5 min rest in between - do some of these in a higher gear than normal to get used to putting out power for the steep finish at the hillclimb

I'm fairly certain the steep part is just going to require good aerobic fitness; I have a hard time imagining that people are going to go all out for several minutes at the end.

See ya at the climb.
MtnRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-09, 09:09 AM   #13
powpow
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
powpow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Berkeley, CA
Bikes:
Posts: 1,075
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Cool, thanks guys!
powpow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-09, 09:29 AM   #14
kudude
slow up hills
 
kudude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Seattle, WA
Bikes: Giant TCR, Redline CX, Ritchey Breakaway, Spec S-works epic
Posts: 4,931
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
what's your 4-5 minute climb?

repeats on mama bear -- 2 minutes 6-7%? if you want short
kudude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-09, 12:08 PM   #15
ericm979
Senior Member
 
ericm979's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Santa Cruz Mountains
Bikes:
Posts: 6,170
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The steep part at the end is really really steep. My data shows that it hits 18% in spots. I think plenty of riders have to go anaerobic to get up it. Last year some guy was catching me on it. I could hear him breathing. Then I heard some gagging noises, then nothing. I think he had to stop to puke.
ericm979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-09, 12:54 PM   #16
bdcheung
Carpe Diem
 
bdcheung's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: MABRA
Bikes: 2007 CAAD9; 2014 CAADX; PedalForce CG1
Posts: 13,147
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kudude View Post
what's your 4-5 minute climb?

repeats on mama bear -- 2 minutes 6-7%? if you want short
What about Pinehurst? Haven't ridden it in a while, but that was decently long.
__________________
"When you are chewing the bars at the business end of a 90 mile road race you really dont care what gear you have hanging from your bike so long as it works."
ΛΧΑ ΔΞ179 - 15% off your first Hammer Nutrition order!
bdcheung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-09, 01:41 PM   #17
merlinextraligh
pan y agua
 
merlinextraligh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Jacksonville
Bikes: Wilier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Co-Motion Robusta; Schwinn Paramount; Motobecane Phantom Cross; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Calfee Dragonfly Tandem
Posts: 29,131
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Given the length of your race, you need to be doing intervals longer than 4-5 minutes. You're race will essentially be an hour or more at threshold. If you really want to use the 4-5 minute hill, I'd ride 5-15 minutes at threshold to the foot of the hill, then ride the hill for the final 4-5 minutes at or above threshold.

If you do it for a total of 20 minutes, then 2-3 times. If you do it for a total of 10 minutes, then 4-6 times.

Of course repeats of a 10-20 minute climb would be better.
__________________
You could fall off a cliff and die.
You could get lost and die.
You could hit a tree and die.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
merlinextraligh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-09, 02:04 PM   #18
kudude
slow up hills
 
kudude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Seattle, WA
Bikes: Giant TCR, Redline CX, Ritchey Breakaway, Spec S-works epic
Posts: 4,931
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdcheung View Post
What about Pinehurst? Haven't ridden it in a while, but that was decently long.
pinehurst is like 8minutes, but yeah, it's steep at the top

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh View Post
Given the length of your race, you need to be doing intervals longer than 4-5 minutes. You're race will essentially be an hour or more at threshold. If you really want to use the 4-5 minute hill, I'd ride 5-15 minutes at threshold to the foot of the hill, then ride the hill for the final 4-5 minutes at or above threshold.

If you do it for a total of 20 minutes, then 2-3 times. If you do it for a total of 10 minutes, then 4-6 times.

Of course repeats of a 10-20 minute climb would be better.
wildcat repeats? You could also go up pinehurst, descend shepard's canyon (on the other side of the intersection), turn around -- that one is STEEP come down pinehurst and then do it again. and again.

have fun
kudude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-09, 03:56 PM   #19
Val23708
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: NorCal
Bikes: Cervelo R3 (Force)
Posts: 2,457
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
oh wait. i know what you should do. go out to McEwen hill in crocket. do the UC Berkeley RR course. a cat 4 should easily be able to do it in under 40 mins/lap

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=2647713

Last edited by Val23708; 05-07-09 at 04:04 PM.
Val23708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-09, 04:28 PM   #20
kudude
slow up hills
 
kudude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Seattle, WA
Bikes: Giant TCR, Redline CX, Ritchey Breakaway, Spec S-works epic
Posts: 4,931
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Val23708 View Post
oh wait. i know what you should do. go out to McEwen hill in crocket. do the UC Berkeley RR course. a cat 4 should easily be able to do it in under 40 mins/lap

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=2647713
ftw.

8 minutes of super suckage in there. enjoy
kudude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-09, 04:47 PM   #21
Beaker
moth -----> flame
 
Beaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: SF Bay Area
Bikes: 11 CAAD 10-4, 07 Specialized Roubaix Comp, 98 Peugeot Horizon
Posts: 5,907
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
If you're talking about threshold then how about repeats on South Park Drive in Tilden - much closer to the OP and very low traffic.

I've somehow never ridden McEwen, but South Park is a tougher climb than Pinehurst and the road is better/quieter for this purpose. If you want to make a loop then you could go back down Grizzly Peak to Golf Links/Shasta.
__________________
BF, in a nutshell
Beaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-09, 04:48 PM   #22
Beaker
moth -----> flame
 
Beaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: SF Bay Area
Bikes: 11 CAAD 10-4, 07 Specialized Roubaix Comp, 98 Peugeot Horizon
Posts: 5,907
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kudude View Post
wildcat repeats? You could also go up pinehurst, descend shepard's canyon (on the other side of the intersection), turn around -- that one is STEEP come down pinehurst and then do it again. and again.

have fun
That descent down Shepherd's Canyon is sweet.
__________________
BF, in a nutshell
Beaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-09, 04:53 PM   #23
kudude
slow up hills
 
kudude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Seattle, WA
Bikes: Giant TCR, Redline CX, Ritchey Breakaway, Spec S-works epic
Posts: 4,931
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaker View Post
If you're talking about threshold then how about repeats on South Park Drive in Tilden - much closer to the OP and very low traffic.

I've somehow never ridden McEwen, but South Park is a tougher climb than Pinehurst and the road is better/quieter for this purpose. If you want to make a loop then you could go back down Grizzly Peak to Golf Links/Shasta.
isn't it closed to traffic or did they open it back up?

that would be a good repeat loop, probably a 5 minute descent down golf links and back up you go. plus SP gets crazy obnoxious steep near the top. McEwen is some awful 10% grade for nearly a mile or something then it levels off, but by that point you're pretty beat anyway. If you live near berkeley you have to go looking for it, as it's pretty far off the beaten path of normal rides

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaker View Post
That descent down Shepherd's Canyon is sweet.
agreed
kudude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-09, 05:01 PM   #24
Beaker
moth -----> flame
 
Beaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: SF Bay Area
Bikes: 11 CAAD 10-4, 07 Specialized Roubaix Comp, 98 Peugeot Horizon
Posts: 5,907
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think they opened South Park for the season at the beginning of April? Even when it's closed it's OK to climb, but I wouldn't feel good about the descent - too many people meandering over the road walking their dogs etc.

I know where McEwen is I just haven't ridden it - I'm in Orinda, so it's not too far.
__________________
BF, in a nutshell
Beaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-09, 06:17 PM   #25
Val23708
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: NorCal
Bikes: Cervelo R3 (Force)
Posts: 2,457
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
pinehurst i can do in the 19t and then power through the steeper part at the end... mcewen i need the 27t until the last 1/3.
Val23708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:42 AM.