Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-11-09, 07:55 AM   #1
substructure
RustyTainte
Thread Starter
 
substructure's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: 28012
Bikes: zilch
Posts: 12,343
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Italian tribunal delivers Valverde two-year suspension

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?...y09/may11news3

Alejandro Valverde received a two-year suspension from the Italian anti-doping tribunal today in Rome for his connections to the 2006 doping investigation Operación Puerto. The decision prohibits the Spaniard, 29, from racing in Italy and the Tour de France, which passes through the country this year.
substructure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-09, 07:58 AM   #2
bdcheung
Carpe Diem
 
bdcheung's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: MABRA
Bikes: 2007 CAAD9; 2014 CAADX; PedalForce CG1
Posts: 13,147
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
__________________
"When you are chewing the bars at the business end of a 90 mile road race you really dont care what gear you have hanging from your bike so long as it works."
ΛΧΑ ΔΞ179 - 15% off your first Hammer Nutrition order!
bdcheung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-09, 08:01 AM   #3
tubescreamerx
climbing
 
tubescreamerx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Oakland, CA
Bikes: Ridley Excalibur, Ridley Crosswind
Posts: 925
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
oops
tubescreamerx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-09, 08:42 AM   #4
SushiJoe
Knowing's half the battle
 
SushiJoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Omaha, NE
Bikes: 2009 Cannondale CAAD9 BB30, SRAM Red, Fulcrum Racing 3s
Posts: 6,119
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubescreamerx View Post
oops
^ This.
__________________
2009 CAAD9 BB30 Team Issue
MY BLOG.
SushiJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-09, 09:32 AM   #5
YMCA
starting pistol means war
 
YMCA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Orlando, FL
Bikes: Cervelo R3
Posts: 3,144
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Vuelta and World's, here comes Valverde.
YMCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-09, 10:45 AM   #6
bac
Senior Member
 
bac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Pennsylvania
Bikes: Too many to list!
Posts: 7,481
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by substructure View Post
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?...y09/may11news3

Alejandro Valverde received a two-year suspension from the Italian anti-doping tribunal today in Rome for his connections to the 2006 doping investigation Operación Puerto. The decision prohibits the Spaniard, 29, from racing in Italy and the Tour de France, which passes through the country this year.
Excellent. Now the other countries should get on board. His blood was CLEARLY found (verified via DNA) as part of Operation Puerto. He should be banned for at least 2 years if not more.

... Brad
bac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-09, 11:08 AM   #7
cedricbosch
W.W.DZ.D?
 
cedricbosch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Arizona
Bikes:
Posts: 1,978
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Now he can't race this year's tour because one of the stages goes through Italy.
cedricbosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-09, 11:21 AM   #8
El Diablo Rojo
Banned.
 
El Diablo Rojo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: ATX, Ex So Cal
Bikes: Ridley Noah-Scott Addict-Orbea Ordu
Posts: 11,058
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bac View Post
Excellent. Now the other countries should get on board. His blood was CLEARLY found (verified via DNA) as part of Operation Puerto. He should be banned for at least 2 years if not more.

... Brad
The UCI will issue it's ban shortly. He's done for the foreseeable future.
El Diablo Rojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-09, 11:57 AM   #9
bac
Senior Member
 
bac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Pennsylvania
Bikes: Too many to list!
Posts: 7,481
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Diablo Rojo View Post
The UCI will issue it's ban shortly. He's done for the foreseeable future.
Yup, that would be my guess/hope also.

... Brad
bac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-09, 11:59 AM   #10
Bullseye
Senior Member
 
Bullseye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Boulder, CO
Bikes: Cannondale systemsix, Raleigh Competition '05
Posts: 498
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I somewhat feel for the guy; am a bit conflicted. Yes, I think he violated the rules, for certain, but it's a shame that he's probably been 'clean' [or at least under more scrutiny/biological passport] for the past few years, and is only getting slammed now.

An unfortunate case.

-bullseye
Bullseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-09, 12:16 PM   #11
El Diablo Rojo
Banned.
 
El Diablo Rojo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: ATX, Ex So Cal
Bikes: Ridley Noah-Scott Addict-Orbea Ordu
Posts: 11,058
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullseye View Post
I somewhat feel for the guy; am a bit conflicted. Yes, I think he violated the rules, for certain, but it's a shame that he's probably been 'clean' [or at least under more scrutiny/biological passport] for the past few years, and is only getting slammed now.

An unfortunate case.

-bullseye
This is part of the long term plan for the UCI to destroy professional cycling. It's a little known fact that the UCI has always hated cycling, and cyclists in general. If they can continually dredge up charges against riders then the negative press will never end. It's just part of the plan, along with banning anything interesting that a company builds for it's TT bikes. My guess is that 2012 is the date they are shooting for to end cycling as a professional sport. They picked that date as it coincides with the end of the world according the all the Mayan calender.
El Diablo Rojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-09, 12:25 PM   #12
KiddSisko
Has coddling tendencies.
 
KiddSisko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Topanga Canyon
Bikes: 2008 Blue RC8 w/ '09 Rival
Posts: 8,325
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Diablo Rojo View Post
This is part of the long term plan for the UCI to destroy professional cycling. It's a little known fact that the UCI has always hated cycling, and cyclists in general. If they can continually dredge up charges against riders then the negative press will never end. It's just part of the plan, along with banning anything interesting that a company builds for it's TT bikes. My guess is that 2012 is the date they are shooting for to end cycling as a professional sport. They picked that date as it coincides with the end of the world according the all the Mayan calender.
Dark.
KiddSisko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-09, 02:05 PM   #13
dsellinger
slowest!
 
dsellinger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: NW WA
Bikes: Felt, Atala, Kona
Posts: 628
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
soo he gets to spend 3 years with this cloud over his head, and getting kicked from some races (more if the UCI had gotten their way), and after all that he gets a 2 year ban from the biggest races going. All for having blood in a lab that had ties to doping? Ugh...
dsellinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-09, 02:07 PM   #14
longbeachgary
Senior Member
 
longbeachgary's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Beautiful Long Beach California
Bikes: Eddy Merckx Sallanches 64 (2); Eddy Merckx MXL; 2012 CAAD10; 2013 Cannondale CAAD10 DI2, The Black Mambo
Posts: 3,398
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
and Manny gets a 50 game suspension.
longbeachgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-09, 02:10 PM   #15
Namenda
.
 
Namenda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: "The Woo", MA
Bikes:
Posts: 4,830
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by longbeachgary View Post
and Manny gets a 50 game suspension.
50 games for Manny is likely a larger financial hit than 2 years for Valverde.
Namenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-09, 02:12 PM   #16
USAZorro
Señor Member
 
USAZorro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Florence, KY
Bikes: 1954 Hetchins M.O., 1959 Viking Severn Valley, 1970 Raleigh Pro, 1972 Fuji "The Finest", 1974 Raleigh Superbe&Comp, 1976 Raleigh Team Pro, 1996 Giant Iguana, 2000 Bob Jackson Arrowhead
Posts: 14,473
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsellinger View Post
soo he gets to spend 3 years with this cloud over his head, and getting kicked from some races (more if the UCI had gotten their way), and after all that he gets a 2 year ban from the biggest races going. All for having blood in a lab that had ties to doping? Ugh...
Basso was suspended for essentially the same thing.
__________________
In search of what to search for.
USAZorro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-09, 02:50 PM   #17
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.
 
Psimet2001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Elgin, IL
Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer
Posts: 19,705
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
It must be summer. Ahhhh doping. How I missed you...
Psimet2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-09, 02:52 PM   #18
merlinextraligh
pan y agua
 
merlinextraligh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Jacksonville
Bikes: Wilier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Co-Motion Robusta; Schwinn Paramount; Motobecane Phantom Cross; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Calfee Dragonfly Tandem
Posts: 29,135
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsellinger View Post
soo he gets to spend 3 years with this cloud over his head, and getting kicked from some races (more if the UCI had gotten their way), and after all that he gets a 2 year ban from the biggest races going. All for having blood in a lab that had ties to doping? Ugh...
No, for having his blood, which was found in a doping lab, test positive for EPO.

First the blood tested positive for EPO. http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?...ov06/nov26news

Now, the DNA confirms that it was his blood. http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?...y09/may11news3
If he had wanted to clear this up faster and not been subject to the 3 year cloud, he could have voluntarily submitted DNA samples.

He cheated. He deserves to be punished.
__________________
You could fall off a cliff and die.
You could get lost and die.
You could hit a tree and die.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
merlinextraligh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-09, 03:41 PM   #19
El Diablo Rojo
Banned.
 
El Diablo Rojo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: ATX, Ex So Cal
Bikes: Ridley Noah-Scott Addict-Orbea Ordu
Posts: 11,058
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Namenda View Post
50 games for Manny is likely a larger financial hit than 2 years for Valverde.
Doubtful, Manny is going to lose in the neighborhood of 750k. Valverde is probably making somewhere north of a mil a year.
El Diablo Rojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-09, 03:43 PM   #20
El Diablo Rojo
Banned.
 
El Diablo Rojo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: ATX, Ex So Cal
Bikes: Ridley Noah-Scott Addict-Orbea Ordu
Posts: 11,058
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh View Post
No, for having his blood, which was found in a doping lab, test positive for EPO.

First the blood tested positive for EPO. http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?...ov06/nov26news

Now, the DNA confirms that it was his blood. http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?...y09/may11news3
If he had wanted to clear this up faster and not been subject to the 3 year cloud, he could have voluntarily submitted DNA samples.

He cheated. He deserves to be punished.
Exactly..besides these guys know the rules...the WADA/UCI doping code is rather broad...you dance with the devil and eventually you gonna get burned...I've always rooted for V but he got torched this time.
El Diablo Rojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-09, 03:45 PM   #21
Namenda
.
 
Namenda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: "The Woo", MA
Bikes:
Posts: 4,830
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Diablo Rojo View Post
Doubtful, Manny is going to lose in the neighborhood of 750k. Valverde is probably making somewhere north of a mil a year.
More like $8 million and change for Manny, according to ESPN. 50 games is roughly one-third of the season.
Namenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-09, 03:54 PM   #22
El Diablo Rojo
Banned.
 
El Diablo Rojo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: ATX, Ex So Cal
Bikes: Ridley Noah-Scott Addict-Orbea Ordu
Posts: 11,058
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Namenda View Post
More like $8 million and change for Manny, according to ESPN. 50 games is roughly one-third of the season.
Yep, sorry I misread the article it's more like 750k per week!
El Diablo Rojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-09, 03:55 PM   #23
Namenda
.
 
Namenda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: "The Woo", MA
Bikes:
Posts: 4,830
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Diablo Rojo View Post
Yep, sorry I misread the article it's more like 750k per week!
He's not hurting, regardless. Hell, he's probably happy for the vacation.
Namenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-09, 01:14 PM   #24
Little Darwin
The Improbable Bulk
 
Little Darwin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Wilkes-Barre, PA
Bikes: Many
Posts: 8,401
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh View Post
No, for having his blood, which was found in a doping lab, test positive for EPO.
While I have little doubt that he is guilty of doping, I am curious about this combination of facts being relevant.

Was the blood taken as a sample to test for doping?

If a doping lab is disreputable, it wouldn't be too far fetched to consider the possibility that they somehow got a sample of some clean riders' blood and contaminated the samples with EPO in order to make it look like the number of guilty riders was more than it actually was. This might be done to try to get the officials to take it easier on the riders... Saying to themselves something like, "you can't get a speeding ticket if everyone is driving over the speed limit." Obviously a plan (if it happened) that backfired.

What I am really sating is that the chain of evidence isn't as solid as if the sample was taken by an official tester. Nor would I trust the sample as far as the level of any substances in it... I would not trust it to have been handled appropriately.

However, the fact that V's blood/DNA was there at all, regardless of whether there were any performance enhancers in it or not is compelling.
Little Darwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:59 AM.