Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 22 of 22
  1. #1
    Senior Member acortez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Albuquerque
    My Bikes
    2007 Specialized Allez Elite
    Posts
    215
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Crashed Last Night

    Went down pretty good last night. It was only my third crit (first year racing) but I was set up in the top 4 going into the final right hand turn. I had two guys up front and one guy just to my outside about half a bike length ahead of me. I started the turn and the guy from the outside squeezed me down, he didn't keep his line at all. All I could do was go further inside and try to ride in the grass. I got in the grass and hit a big hole that houses a sprinkler box or something. My front tire popped and l lost control back into the course. Needless to say I got some pretty good road rash going and the bike is going to need some tlc. I also need a new helmet, cracked the foam in two spots. We had enough of a gap on the rest of the field that no one else wrecked. I feel fine considering but my hip has a big ***** bruise from falling. I could taste victory then all I saw was pavement. Damn that really bummed me out. I am not even sure of the exact guy that did it but I consider it pretty bad on his part. Is this just part of racing or did this guy cross the line?

  2. #2
    RustyTainte substructure's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    28012
    My Bikes
    zilch
    Posts
    12,316
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, you can get squeezed if you're overlapping. Just need to realize that always.

  3. #3
    Senior Member mike9903's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    San Antonio, Texas
    My Bikes
    09 Orbea Orca
    Posts
    1,465
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry to hear about the crash, how is the bike?

    Sounds like it was just part of racing, even though the rider that squeezed you does need to learn how to hold is line. Maybe next time put your hand on his thigh just to let him know that you are there. If that still does not work learn to lean on other riders, practice with buddies out in a grassy field.
    2011 Madone 6.9 SSL w/SRAM Red


    ”What goes through your head when you see the 1k to go sign?”

    “55 x 11″ - Matt Crane(Team Jelly Belly)

  4. #4
    Senior Member acortez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Albuquerque
    My Bikes
    2007 Specialized Allez Elite
    Posts
    215
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mike9903 View Post
    Sorry to hear about the crash, how is the bike?
    Need some new bar tape, true the front wheel, and realign the left brifter. Hopefully that is it. I need to look it over real close to make sure I don't have any cracks. Not that bad, more of hassle than anything else.

  5. #5
    trois, mon frère JaRow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Gainesville/Miami, FL
    My Bikes
    '01 Gary Fisher Wahoo, '08 Giant TCR C2
    Posts
    576
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yell at people. It usually works.

  6. #6
    Senior Member MONGO!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    4,279
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Half wheeling into a turn is not a good idea.

  7. #7
    WPI roy5000x2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Worcester, MA
    My Bikes
    2008 Trek Madone 5.2 Pro
    Posts
    1,133
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yell/punch next time....


    ...actually just yell. Yelling "inside" isn't uncommon, and works rather well in the cat 5 scene. But then you always get that one guy who yells it at the last possible second when it's waaaaay too late.
    2010 Soul Faith
    2008 Trek Madone 5.2 Pro
    1970s Univega Fixie

    4*---------3
    "Do what you think you ought to."

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    5,061
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mike9903 View Post
    Sounds like it was just part of racing, even though the rider that squeezed you does need to learn how to hold is line.
    I often hear about holding your line through a corner but I am curious what the correct 'line' is. If the rider ahead thought he was going into the corner solo he was probably on the correct line for taking the corner fast. So what is the correct line if you are on the outside two abreast going into a corner. Do you leave just enough room on the inside for one rider?

  9. #9
    Senior Member Duke of Kent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Upstate NY
    My Bikes
    Focus Raven 29er, Santa Cruz Blur LTc
    Posts
    4,568
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If anything, you messed up by not being on even terms with him, and forcing him further outside.

    When you're inside, shoulder to shoulder, you own them.
    "If a non personal post makes you feel as if you've been attacked, maybe the problem IS you."

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Beavercreek, OH
    Posts
    493
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gregf83 View Post
    I often hear about holding your line through a corner but I am curious what the correct 'line' is. If the rider ahead thought he was going into the corner solo he was probably on the correct line for taking the corner fast. So what is the correct line if you are on the outside two abreast going into a corner. Do you leave just enough room on the inside for one rider?
    +1 If his handlebars were in front of yours, then whatever line he chooses to take is correct line and he owns it.

  11. #11
    Village Idiot
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Bahstaaaaan
    Posts
    19,919
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MONGO! View Post
    Half wheeling into a turn is not a good idea.
    /end thread.

    Hope you heal fast.
    Truth, like light, blinds. Falsehood, on the contrary, is a beautiful twilight that enhances every object.
    -Albert Camus

    Hammer Nutrition 15% discount!!!

  12. #12
    Senior Member agoodale's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Murrieta, CA
    Posts
    1,034
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shayne View Post
    +1 If his handlebars were in front of yours, then whatever line he chooses to take is correct line and he owns it.
    -.5 Yeah he owns the line. But 99% of us are out there as a hobby. I always leave room if I know someone is moving up on the inside. I don't have to but I don't want to slam the door on someone just to protect 4th place in an industrial park crit. The 10 guys behind that guy you're slamming the door on will appreciate you leaving some room also.

  13. #13
    ride lots be safe Creakyknees's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    5,067
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well... what the OP did _might_ be interpreted as "diving inside" which is bad form.

    Common, yes, but safe... well you see the outcome.

    I wasn't there though so I'll cut him slack and assume he was just pinched off in the last corner. So, it's a painful lesson, next time you'll know.
    "have fun and be kind"
    - an internet post

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Beavercreek, OH
    Posts
    493
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by agoodale View Post
    -.5 Yeah he owns the line. But 99% of us are out there as a hobby. I always leave room if I know someone is moving up on the inside. I don't have to but I don't want to slam the door on someone just to protect 4th place in an industrial park crit. The 10 guys behind that guy you're slamming the door on will appreciate you leaving some room also.
    Yes, I do the same. Did a crit in Louisvile last Sunday. 71 starters in the 4/5 race. The last 2 laps these boys were dive bombing the inside like crazy. They stacked em up 6 deep going into 2 different corners. Needless to say, there were crashes in each of those corners on each of the last 2 laps. The outside guys got forced into the curbs and over they went. Did the masters race after that with a reported 77 starters, smooth as silk and fast, lots of fun.

  15. #15
    Senior Member acortez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Albuquerque
    My Bikes
    2007 Specialized Allez Elite
    Posts
    215
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Creakyknees View Post
    Well... what the OP did _might_ be interpreted as "diving inside" which is bad form.

    Common, yes, but safe... well you see the outcome.

    I wasn't there though so I'll cut him slack and assume he was just pinched off in the last corner. So, it's a painful lesson, next time you'll know.
    I wasn't diving inside, it was the only line I had. All previous times through that turn it was taken 2-3 guys wide. I guess I wasn't expecting for people to keep there line through the whole race and then in the final turn squeeze anyone on the inside.

  16. #16
    One speed: FAST ! fordfasterr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Ft. Lauderdale FL
    My Bikes
    Ebay Bikes... =)
    Posts
    3,375
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    if you are not level with them they can easily push you in any direction they want...

    if you move up a bit sooner and are perfectly even with the rider on the outside then there is nothing he can do to push you since you can easily push back =)
    Florida Velodrome Association.
    Big Wheel Cycles.
    CAT-2. Road Bike: 2011 Specialized Allez SRAM Apex. .. and yes, I am vegan.

  17. #17
    meow bostongarden's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Hint: check out my BF name
    My Bikes
    2011 Cannondale Super Six, Dura Ace 7800, 2007 Cannondale System Six Dura Ace 7800, 1992 Bridgestone RB-1, MB-2, MB-3, MB-5
    Posts
    5,578
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry to hear about the crash...sounds like you'll be ok physically...hope your recovery is speedy!

  18. #18
    Senior Member acortez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Albuquerque
    My Bikes
    2007 Specialized Allez Elite
    Posts
    215
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bostongarden View Post
    Sorry to hear about the crash...sounds like you'll be ok physically...hope your recovery is speedy!
    Thanks

  19. #19
    Blast from the Past Voodoo76's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Schertz TX
    My Bikes
    Old ones
    Posts
    2,474
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by acortez View Post
    I wasn't diving inside, it was the only line I had. All previous times through that turn it was taken 2-3 guys wide. I guess I wasn't expecting for people to keep there line through the whole race and then in the final turn squeeze anyone on the inside.
    Last lap the last turn is usually faster, add to that nervous riders. So the line typically goes more curb to curb.

    In general the right line is the one the wheel in front of you takes. If you wern't even with or ahead of the rider to the outside you should have been on his wheel, for more reasons than just the turn. Especially if you had a gap, as there is no chance of getting boxed, you didnt have to fight for position.

  20. #20
    Senior Member acortez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Albuquerque
    My Bikes
    2007 Specialized Allez Elite
    Posts
    215
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Voodoo76 View Post
    Last lap the last turn is usually faster, add to that nervous riders. So the line typically goes more curb to curb.

    In general the right line is the one the wheel in front of you takes. If you wern't even with or ahead of the rider to the outside you should have been on his wheel, for more reasons than just the turn. Especially if you had a gap, as there is no chance of getting boxed, you didnt have to fight for position.
    Very true. Live and learn I guess. Next time I will remember this. Hopefully I will be in a similar position.

  21. #21
    Randomhead
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Happy Valley, Pennsylvania
    Posts
    12,501
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I hope you get to the same position next time and blast past them for the win.

  22. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Beantown
    My Bikes
    2011 Tsunami, 2004 Fuji Team Issue and More!!!
    Posts
    1,546
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I feel your pain, I've had a very up/down first season as well. I've been getting tripped up on climbs for one reason or another. It's been riders up front slowing for some reason forcing me into half-wheeling. I've come to realize (and have been told by a racing buddy) that I'll need to drop back even further to account speed/line changes. I'd rather finish DFL than hit the deck again.

    In corners however, I've backed off slightly going in if there is a chance of getting my front wheel taken-out. This doesn't mean grabbing a handful of brake mid-corner, but maybe sitting up before turn-in to catch a bit more air. This usually a pack situation where you have riders all over.

    Yelling out "hold your line" will at least let other riders know someone is there; though the risk of them chopping your line is always there. Riding defensively, dropping back slightly in corners or giving extra room to "Swervin Mervin" on climbs is the only way to protect your front wheel.

    I agree the rider up front should have the prefered line, but there is also something called..."Giving Racing Room".
    Last edited by FormerBMX'er; 05-22-09 at 10:09 AM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •