Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-27-09, 01:05 AM   #1
MONGO!
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
MONGO!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Portland, OR
Bikes:
Posts: 4,279
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anyone suffer a broken pelvis?

Not me, my wife, crashed hard on her side.

Anyone go through this?

What's the prognosis?
MONGO! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-09, 01:21 AM   #2
cyclezealot
Senior Member
 
cyclezealot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Fallbrook,Calif./Palau del Vidre, France
Bikes: Klein QP, Fuji touring, Surly Cross Check, BCH City bike
Posts: 13,166
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Mon Dieu. Now your scaring me.. A friend just suffered thru a broken femur..
You both are in our thoughts.
__________________
Pray for the Dead and Fight like Hell for the Living






^ Since January 1, 2012
cyclezealot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-09, 06:26 AM   #3
valygrl
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Boulder, CO
Bikes:
Posts: 8,295
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Ow! My sister broke hers, at the sit-bone. 6 weeks off the bike. That was a few years ago, she hasn't had any ongoing problems. Hope your wife heals up quick.
valygrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-09, 09:50 AM   #4
cmh
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Portland, OR
Bikes:
Posts: 2,513
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Sorry to hear about your wife Mongo. I hope she heals quickly and completely.

I have no experience with broken hips, but it sounds painful.
cmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-09, 10:04 AM   #5
MONGO!
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
MONGO!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Portland, OR
Bikes:
Posts: 4,279
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmh View Post
Sorry to hear about your wife Mongo. I hope she heals quickly and completely.

I have no experience with broken hips, but it sounds painful.
Thanks.

Luckily it wasn't the hip, that would have meant surgery. Pelvis is less serious but very painful.
MONGO! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-09, 10:18 AM   #6
Paniolo
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: N Dallas, TX
Bikes:
Posts: 830
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Those vary a lot.

I ride with a guy who had someone go down in front, he hit them and flipped over landing on butt/ sit bones. Cracked pelvis in 4-5 places in the front, weird guess the force traveled through the pelvis. Hospital like 4-5 days. Able to get in wheelchair about 2 weeks later. Hopes to return to work this week, about 3 weeks post accident. Lots of pain when he tries to move. He hopes he can ride in 3 months ... but that is probably optimistic. Hope your wife is better than that.
Paniolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-09, 03:27 PM   #7
MONGO!
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
MONGO!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Portland, OR
Bikes:
Posts: 4,279
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paniolo View Post
Those vary a lot.

I ride with a guy who had someone go down in front, he hit them and flipped over landing on butt/ sit bones. Cracked pelvis in 4-5 places in the front, weird guess the force traveled through the pelvis. Hospital like 4-5 days. Able to get in wheelchair about 2 weeks later. Hopes to return to work this week, about 3 weeks post accident. Lots of pain when he tries to move. He hopes he can ride in 3 months ... but that is probably optimistic. Hope your wife is better than that.
Thanks.

She has two fractures, been in hospital for three days now and still can't get out of bed on her own.
MONGO! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-09, 03:37 PM   #8
Brian Ratliff
Senior Member
 
Brian Ratliff's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Near Portland, OR
Bikes: Three road bikes. Two track bikes.
Posts: 10,060
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MONGO! View Post
Not me, my wife, crashed hard on her side.

Anyone go through this?

What's the prognosis?
Damn. Not good. Hope she gets better soon.

Was that at Monday PIR? I think I saw the remnants of that crash as I was racing in the 1/2/3 field.
__________________
Cat 2 Track, Cat 3 Road.
"If you’re new enough [to racing] that you would ask such question, then i would hazard a guess that if you just made up a workout that sounded hard to do, and did it, you’d probably get faster." --the tiniest sprinter
Brian Ratliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-09, 04:58 PM   #9
geneman
rider of small bicycles
 
geneman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Rochester, New York
Bikes: Cannondale
Posts: 1,686
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
That sucks. I busted mine a few years ago ... follow the link.

bad fall ... busted pelvis
geneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-09, 05:38 PM   #10
MONGO!
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
MONGO!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Portland, OR
Bikes:
Posts: 4,279
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Ratliff View Post
Damn. Not good. Hope she gets better soon.

Was that at Monday PIR? I think I saw the remnants of that crash as I was racing in the 1/2/3 field.
Yes it was, happened in the first lap of her race.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geneman View Post
That sucks. I busted mine a few years ago ... follow the link.

bad fall ... busted pelvis
Thanks
MONGO! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-09, 06:35 PM   #11
Greg180
Realist
 
Greg180's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Massachusetts
Bikes: Roubaix, Tarmac, Fixed Gear
Posts: 3,083
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Sorry to hear. It will be at least six weeks before she can ride and maybe eight for conjugal visits...be strong.
Greg180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:13 AM.