Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 49
  1. #1
    Senior Member spinwax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    My Bikes
    2011 Felt FC, 2009 ADK/Pedalforce Road, 2011 Felt B12 TT
    Posts
    829
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    This getting up at 4:30-5am crap better pay off.

    Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love to ride, train and race. I love to ride anytime of the day but it does start to wear on you a bit when you HAVE get up before sunrise every day, ride for 2-4 hours and then have to head into work. The tough part for me is the trying to get to bed before 9:30 or so. I am struggling to get all my stuff done and still get 7-8 hours of sleep.

    Wife, work, house, training, chores. It is hard to get it all in. I can't imagine you guys that are serious racers with kids. I don't know how you do it.
    Last edited by spinwax; 05-27-09 at 12:59 PM.

  2. #2
    umd
    umd is offline
    Banned umd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Santa Barbara, CA
    My Bikes
    Specialized Tarmac SL2, Specialized Tarmac SL, Giant TCR Composite, Specialized StumpJumper Expert HT
    Posts
    28,343
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do a lot of my riding on the way to work and/or back.

    No kids though.

  3. #3
    Senior Member spinwax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    My Bikes
    2011 Felt FC, 2009 ADK/Pedalforce Road, 2011 Felt B12 TT
    Posts
    829
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by umd View Post
    I do a lot of my riding on the way to work and/or back.

    No kids though.
    I live 2.4 miles from work...LOL. It really doesn't mean much when I say "I ride to work every day". LOL

  4. #4
    Packfodding 3 caloso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Sacramento, California, USA
    My Bikes
    Ridley Excalibur, Gazelle Champion Mondial, On-One Pompino, Specialized Rock Hopper
    Posts
    29,828
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Two kids here. Most of my miles are in the morning before work.
    Cyclists of the world, unite! You have nothing to lube but your chains!

  5. #5
    Packfodding 3 caloso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Sacramento, California, USA
    My Bikes
    Ridley Excalibur, Gazelle Champion Mondial, On-One Pompino, Specialized Rock Hopper
    Posts
    29,828
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by spinwax View Post
    I live 2.4 miles from work...LOL. It really doesn't mean much when I say "I ride to work every day". LOL
    I live 3.7 miles from work. This morning I took a 37 mile detour. (There's no rule that requires you to take the most direct route.)
    Cyclists of the world, unite! You have nothing to lube but your chains!

  6. #6
    umd
    umd is offline
    Banned umd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Santa Barbara, CA
    My Bikes
    Specialized Tarmac SL2, Specialized Tarmac SL, Giant TCR Composite, Specialized StumpJumper Expert HT
    Posts
    28,343
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by spinwax View Post
    I live 2.4 miles from work...LOL. It really doesn't mean much when I say "I ride to work every day". LOL
    I ride 1.5 miles from work. Somehow I seem to get lost every day because my rides usually take me more than an hour

  7. #7
    50000 Guatts of power 127.0.0.1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    1,001
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ride indoors a boatload on a spinbike, and use spinervals. saves a lot of time. still need
    the same ride hours but setup and teardown is instant. quick shower. done. if u are honest
    you can ride easy, or nuke yourself with intervals just like the road.



    oh yeah the 4:30 am crap will pay off....
    I like fat bikes
    and I cannot lie.

  8. #8
    ɹǝʇsɯıʇ
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    MD
    My Bikes
    2011 Focus Whistler // 2011 Cannondale CAAD10 // 2009 Scattante XRL TT // 1993 Cannondale R400
    Posts
    841
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I live about 30 miles from work. The morning drive takes me about 40 minutes.

    I put my bike in the car and ride right after work, then drive home. If I drive home right after work I hit the afternoon rush hour and it will probably take me an hour to get home.

    Considering moving closer to work. I'm just a bit jealous of everyone who lives close to where they work...

  9. #9
    RustyTainte substructure's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    28012
    My Bikes
    zilch
    Posts
    12,316
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Up @ 3:30am , training by 4.
    If I commute, it's a 43 mile one-way trip.

  10. #10
    umd
    umd is offline
    Banned umd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Santa Barbara, CA
    My Bikes
    Specialized Tarmac SL2, Specialized Tarmac SL, Giant TCR Composite, Specialized StumpJumper Expert HT
    Posts
    28,343
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't imagine living so far away from work and having to have a long commute every day.

    That's a lot of wasted time right there...

  11. #11
    Quarq shill cslone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Ohio
    My Bikes
    08 Felt F4, 05 Fuji Team SL, 08 Planet X Stealth, 10 Kona Jake the Snake, 03 Giant OCR flat bar.
    Posts
    3,962
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did a LOT of 0430am training last year and all it led to was burnout.

    Be careful. There is a definite balance.
    FS: Fuji SL1 frameset, 55.5cm toptube, excellent condition.

  12. #12
    Senior Member Dubbayoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Atlanta
    My Bikes
    Pedal Force QS3
    Posts
    7,683
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 127.0.0.1 View Post
    ride indoors a boatload on a spinbike, and use spinervals. saves a lot of time. still need
    the same ride hours but setup and teardown is instant. quick shower. done. if u are honest
    you can ride easy, or nuke yourself with intervals just like the road.



    oh yeah the 4:30 am crap will pay off....
    Doing all interval and recovery work on the trainer will save a lot of time. I used to go nuts after 40 minutes on the trainer; now I can do 90-100 minutes easy.

  13. #13
    ɹǝʇsɯıʇ
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    MD
    My Bikes
    2011 Focus Whistler // 2011 Cannondale CAAD10 // 2009 Scattante XRL TT // 1993 Cannondale R400
    Posts
    841
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by umd View Post
    That's a lot of wasted time right there...
    That's what I think every day when I'm driving to/from work.

    Also why I've been condo shopping near work. Unfortunately it's an expensive neighborhood.

  14. #14
    . botto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    40,335
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    last year, when i was living in memphis, i did a local hammer ride that left at 5:45 every tuesday and thursday.

    great ride. best part - eggs and biscuits afterwards.

  15. #15
    Senior Member spinwax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    My Bikes
    2011 Felt FC, 2009 ADK/Pedalforce Road, 2011 Felt B12 TT
    Posts
    829
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 127.0.0.1 View Post
    ride indoors a boatload on a spinbike, and use spinervals. saves a lot of time. still need
    the same ride hours but setup and teardown is instant. quick shower. done. if u are honest
    you can ride easy, or nuke yourself with intervals just like the road.



    oh yeah the 4:30 am crap will pay off....
    Not only do I get out on the road, I will do time on the trainer at least 3-4 days a week. Honestly, those are my best workouts. If time allows, I will do my 3hour ride in the morning and try to knock out some serious trainer work at night (if the wife has other things going on. I always have to make time for my better half!).

  16. #16
    half man - half sheep Doggus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Allen (Dallas), TX
    Posts
    2,452
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by spinwax View Post
    Wife, work, house, training, chores. It is hard to get it all in. I can't imagine you guys that are serious racers with kids. I don't know how you do it.

    Simple. I turned mine into the Texas State Criterium champion - Womens Cat4. She had nothing else better to do.

  17. #17
    starting pistol means war YMCA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    east coast
    My Bikes
    Cervelo R3
    Posts
    3,059
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dubbayoo View Post
    Doing all interval and recovery work on the trainer will save a lot of time. I used to go nuts after 40 minutes on the trainer; now I can do 90-100 minutes easy.

    W, you don't even race.
    What about the birds and sunshine?

  18. #18
    . botto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    40,335
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by YMCA View Post
    W, you don't even race.
    What about the birds and sunshine?

  19. #19
    Quantum Mesa Cycles McTufferton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    St. Louis
    Posts
    840
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by spinwax View Post
    Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love to ride, train and race. I love to ride anytime of the day but it does start to wear on you a bit when you HAVE get up before sunrise every day, ride for 2-4 hours and then have to head into work. The tough part for me is the trying to get to bed before 9:30 or so. I am struggling to get all my stuff done and still get 7-8 hours of sleep.

    Wife, work, house, training, chores. It is hard to get it all in. I can't imagine you guys that are serious racers with kids. I don't know how you do it.
    wife... check.
    house... check
    chores... check
    kids... check
    work... check

    -Lunch intervals or long-lunch endurance training 2 times / week.
    -Monday or Thursday evening group ride.
    -Early Saturday group ride (before wife and kids are up) OR weekend race where wife and kids can be spectators.

    Our daughter was born last monday (), so training has been difficult last week or so.
    "Jens Voigt is unable to use the internet because he's always dropping his connection"
    -jensvoigtfacts.com

    "MAKE IT HURT" -Me

  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    6,405
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by McTufferton View Post
    wife... check.
    house... check
    chores... check
    kids... check
    work... check

    -Lunch intervals or long-lunch endurance training 2 times / week.
    -Monday or Thursday evening group ride.
    -Early Saturday group ride (before wife and kids are up) OR weekend race where wife and kids can be spectators.

    Our daughter was born last monday (), so training has been difficult last week or so.
    congratulations.

  21. #21
    Knowing's half the battle SushiJoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Omaha, NE
    My Bikes
    2009 Cannondale CAAD9 BB30, SRAM Red, Fulcrum Racing 3s
    Posts
    6,121
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When it was pitch black and cold in the dead of winter, I spent a few [very] early mornings on the trainer.
    Either doing Spinervals or watching ESPN HD.

  22. #22
    Senior Member enjoi07's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    san diego
    My Bikes
    custom caad9
    Posts
    2,965
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ride at 6:30-45 every morning. go to sleep at 11-12pm. have a daughter...but i love doing it right now. the days i dont feel like it i dont do it. but i make up for it on my sunday ride.

    wr has always been an inspiration. he does a whole lot more with a whole lot less. where do i sign up for the "im a cat 2 but only train 8 hours a week" program?

  23. #23
    . botto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    40,335
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i slept.

  24. #24
    Oh The Huge Manatee Lithuania's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    mabra
    Posts
    4,528
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i get up at 3:50am just to go to work!

    getting up at 5am to ride a bike is sleeping in.

  25. #25
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    99
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by enjoi07 View Post
    where do i sign up for the "im a cat 2 but only train 8 hours a week" program?
    Right next to table where you pick your parents... I'm starting to wonder if 8 hrs of training can really get you THAT far without a little help from mother nature.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •