Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 34
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Orange Park, FL
    My Bikes
    Ever changing..as of 2-24-09: 2003 Giant TCR Team Once, Sampson titanium, 1992 Paramount Series 3, 2003 Cervelo P3, 70s Raleigh Record fixed gear, 70s Fuji SL-12 commuter, mid 90s Klein MTB. Plus two or three frames lurking, plus 5 wife/kids rides
    Posts
    1,338
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Took me 4 years to decide I'm not a TT'er

    I started riding in 2005 with the goal of doing a triathlon, so I immediately gravitated to tri bikes and working on long intervals. My progression since then has been to figure out that I'm a slow triathlete and a slightly less-slow bike racer, and I've gradually shifted to pretty much pure cycling training, with an occasional swim and run.

    This year I've probably ridden the TT bike about 5 times. Got on it last night to pre-ride this weekend's state TT course and hated every minute of it. The whole suffering for an hour straight thing has got to be the worst. Doesn't help that I can't seem to find a comfortable saddle for prolonged aero position efforts.

    I'm much happier feeling like I'm going to puke a lung in a crit, at least there's adrenaline, changes in position and tempo, cornering. I think it's the boredom that gets to me mentally. Maybe I just need to HTFU and do more 20 minute intervals. Maybe I'm burnt out.

    Anybody else feel like this?
    Kendall Frederick

    Orange Park, FL

  2. #2
    gmt Grumpy McTrumpy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Binghamton, NY
    Posts
    11,856
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well if you happen to be selling any powertap discs cheap then PM me

  3. #3
    pan y agua merlinextraligh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Jacksonville
    My Bikes
    Wilier trestina Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Co-Motion Robusta; Schwinn Paramount; Motobecanne Phantom Cross; Cervelo P2
    Posts
    26,711
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is the problem of buying a TT bike, the feeling that you have to use it. I also hate TT's.
    You could fall off a cliff and die.
    You could get lost and die.
    You could hit a tree and die.
    OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.

  4. #4
    carbon is too light procrit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Texas
    My Bikes
    Cannondale Road / Orbea TT
    Posts
    950
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love TT's but hate crits. All the cornering, changing of positions, adrenaline, etc wears me out. Suffering endlessly and going as fast as possible the entire race is more my style.
    Cat 2+*--------------+Cat 1

  5. #5
    Legs of Steel chrisvu05's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    On my bike
    My Bikes
    Pegoretti Marcelo, Cannondale six13
    Posts
    1,826
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    took me 1 TT to realize i'm not a TTer. I hate it.

  6. #6
    . botto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    40,275
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the last time i did a TT my only concessions to aerodynamics was wearing lycra overshoes and not wearing gloves.

  7. #7
    Legs of Steel chrisvu05's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    On my bike
    My Bikes
    Pegoretti Marcelo, Cannondale six13
    Posts
    1,826
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botto View Post
    the last time i did a TT my only concessions to aerodynamics was wearing lycra overshoes and not wearing gloves.
    dang it...I knew something was slowing me down! Haha

  8. #8
    carbon is too light procrit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Texas
    My Bikes
    Cannondale Road / Orbea TT
    Posts
    950
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's all about pacing...

    Well, that and threshold power...

    Don't forget lactate tolerance and mental capacity to block the pain...

    Oh, and weight...

    and your bike, and position, and time spent practicing on your bike in that position...

    and shoe covers.
    Cat 2+*--------------+Cat 1

  9. #9
    Senior Member grolby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    BOSTON BABY
    Posts
    6,431
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, it's true - TTs suck. They wouldn't be nearly so bad if I didn't suck at them. I don't really have a problem with suffering for a long period of time - though, like the OP, I REALLY would be much happier if my saddle didn't make my junk feel like it was going to fall off ten minutes into the TT - what really bothers me is that I can ride myself into the friggin' ground, and I still get destroyed by almost everyone. It's the climber's curse. Aero equipment would help, but beyond aerobars, it seems pretty pointless for someone like me.

    Prologue-length TTs, on the other hand, aren't so bad. I have very good 5 min/VO2 power, so I don't get annihilated as badly as I do on anything longer than 5k or so. The longer they get, the worse it is. Stoopid TTs.

  10. #10
    Theodore Roosevelt's idol TheKillerPenguin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Vagabond
    My Bikes
    Affirmative
    Posts
    8,974
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you all need to HTFU.
    Masochism is a training adaptation.

  11. #11
    cmh
    cmh is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    2,244
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congratulations on giving up triathalons.

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Orange Park, FL
    My Bikes
    Ever changing..as of 2-24-09: 2003 Giant TCR Team Once, Sampson titanium, 1992 Paramount Series 3, 2003 Cervelo P3, 70s Raleigh Record fixed gear, 70s Fuji SL-12 commuter, mid 90s Klein MTB. Plus two or three frames lurking, plus 5 wife/kids rides
    Posts
    1,338
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cmh View Post
    Congratulations on giving up triathalons.
    You did that on purpose, didn't you?

    And come on. There are something like 4 women in this town who can keep up with the Tuesday night ride. When I go to a tri club meeting, it's something like 50% women, and they're mostly cute. There has to be more to life than the sausagefest that is Florida road racing.
    Kendall Frederick

    Orange Park, FL

  13. #13
    going roundy round wanders's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    High Point, NC
    Posts
    6,045
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    4 years?

    It took me 20 minutes.
    Quote Originally Posted by CastIron View Post
    Damn.

  14. #14
    Glorified Blender mikearena's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Arlington, VA
    Posts
    686
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does this mean I don't have to worry about you kicking my ass on Saturday?

    Side note: What's the course like? I can't find any info on it. Out and back? Rolling or flat? Does it run long or short?

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Orange Park, FL
    My Bikes
    Ever changing..as of 2-24-09: 2003 Giant TCR Team Once, Sampson titanium, 1992 Paramount Series 3, 2003 Cervelo P3, 70s Raleigh Record fixed gear, 70s Fuji SL-12 commuter, mid 90s Klein MTB. Plus two or three frames lurking, plus 5 wife/kids rides
    Posts
    1,338
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mike,

    Here's a thread on the Windermere Roadies forum; Jim Wright describes the course in detail.

    Short answer: it's pretty much flat, out and back, a couple of minor dips to cross creeks. Good pavement, wide open to the wind much of the way.

    Say hello when you pass me.
    Kendall Frederick

    Orange Park, FL

  16. #16
    Senior Member MrCrassic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    My Bikes
    2008 Giant OCR1 (with panda bear on the back!)
    Posts
    3,648
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by procrit View Post
    i love tt's but hate crits. All the cornering, changing of positions, adrenaline, etc wears me out. Suffering endlessly and going as fast as possible the entire race is more my style.
    +1. The only reason why I don't like crits is because of the repetitiveness of it all; I never looked forward to racing in a crit, whereas I usually like TTs, even if they hurt for a little while.
    Ride more.

    Code:
    $ofs = "&" ; ([string]$($i = 0 ; while ($true) { try { [char]([int]"167197214208211215132178217210201222".substring($i,3) - 100) ; $i =
     $i+3 > catch { break >>)).replace('&','') ; $ofs=" " # Replace right angles with right curly braces

  17. #17
    Quantum Mesa Cycles McTufferton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    St. Louis
    Posts
    838
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by grolby View Post
    It's the climber's curse.
    This. Send me up hill anyday.

    Hour long max efforts / nose in the wind 'grinds' aren't my bag (unless I'm OTF in a hilly RR).
    "Jens Voigt is unable to use the internet because he's always dropping his connection"
    -jensvoigtfacts.com

    "MAKE IT HURT" -Me

  18. #18
    pan y agua merlinextraligh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Jacksonville
    My Bikes
    Wilier trestina Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Co-Motion Robusta; Schwinn Paramount; Motobecanne Phantom Cross; Cervelo P2
    Posts
    26,711
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am guaranteeing a top ten finish Saturday.

    No way more than 11 mixed tandem teams show up.
    You could fall off a cliff and die.
    You could get lost and die.
    You could hit a tree and die.
    OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.

  19. #19
    . botto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    40,275
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MrCrassic View Post
    +1. The only reason why I don't like crits is because of the repetitiveness of it all; I never looked forward to racing in a crit, whereas I usually like TTs, even if they hurt for a little while.
    since when does a cat 5 start sounding like a wily old vet?

  20. #20
    Banned. El Diablo Rojo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    ATX, Ex So Cal
    My Bikes
    Ridley Noah-Scott Addict-Orbea Ordu
    Posts
    11,058
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KendallF View Post
    I started riding in 2005 with the goal of doing a triathlon, so I immediately gravitated to tri bikes and working on long intervals. My progression since then has been to figure out that I'm a slow triathlete and a slightly less-slow bike racer, and I've gradually shifted to pretty much pure cycling training, with an occasional swim and run.

    This year I've probably ridden the TT bike about 5 times. Got on it last night to pre-ride this weekend's state TT course and hated every minute of it. The whole suffering for an hour straight thing has got to be the worst. Doesn't help that I can't seem to find a comfortable saddle for prolonged aero position efforts.

    I'm much happier feeling like I'm going to puke a lung in a crit, at least there's adrenaline, changes in position and tempo, cornering. I think it's the boredom that gets to me mentally. Maybe I just need to HTFU and do more 20 minute intervals. Maybe I'm burnt out.

    Anybody else feel like this?
    Racer Ex and I were just talking about this the other night. We kinda were wondering why guys like Dave Z (who is a pretty lightweight guy) weren't great climbers as well as great TT'ers and visa versa. We concluded that although the two disciplines are similar, basically power to weight and the ability to suffer, time trialing is a different type of suffering. Some people can put themselves in the box and some can't. I have to say that I've never been an exceptional TT'er, always in the bottom half of the top 10. This year for some reason I'm coming out in the top 3 or 4, even won one this year. I think a great deal of that comes from my coming to grips with with pain. I can climb pretty well and put myself into that suffer box pretty easily and now I think I've finally figured out how to wrap my mind around the TT suffer box as well.

  21. #21
    . botto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    40,275
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by El Diablo Rojo View Post
    Racer Ex and I were just talking about this the other night. We kinda were wondering why guys like Dave Z (who is a pretty lightweight guy) weren't great climbers as well as great TT'ers and visa versa. We concluded that although the two disciplines are similar, basically power to weight and the ability to suffer, time trialing is a different type of suffering. Some people can put themselves in the box and some can't. I have to say that I've never been an exceptional TT'er, always in the bottom half of the top 10. This year for some reason I'm coming out in the top 3 or 4, even won one this year. I think a great deal of that comes from my coming to grips with with pain. I can climb pretty well and put myself into that suffer box pretty easily and now I think I've finally figured out how to wrap my mind around the TT suffer box as well.
    i have to move to TX so i can start winning races more often.

  22. #22
    Glorified Blender mikearena's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Arlington, VA
    Posts
    686
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KendallF View Post
    Mike,

    Here's a thread on the Windermere Roadies forum; Jim Wright describes the course in detail.
    Thanks!

    Say hello when you pass me.
    Something tells me this won't happen.

  23. #23
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    6,008
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botto View Post
    the last time i did a TT my only concessions to aerodynamics was wearing lycra overshoes and not wearing gloves.
    me too, except I did wear a skin suit. I finished 26th, but am confident I was 1st in the "no aero stuff" division

  24. #24
    Banned. El Diablo Rojo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    ATX, Ex So Cal
    My Bikes
    Ridley Noah-Scott Addict-Orbea Ordu
    Posts
    11,058
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botto View Post
    i have to move to TX so i can start winning races more often.
    If you come here and start beating X you have been sandbagging up to this point...if come here, beating me is a foregone conclusion.

  25. #25
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Orange Park, FL
    My Bikes
    Ever changing..as of 2-24-09: 2003 Giant TCR Team Once, Sampson titanium, 1992 Paramount Series 3, 2003 Cervelo P3, 70s Raleigh Record fixed gear, 70s Fuji SL-12 commuter, mid 90s Klein MTB. Plus two or three frames lurking, plus 5 wife/kids rides
    Posts
    1,338
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by merlinextraligh View Post
    I am guaranteeing a top ten finish Saturday.

    No way more than 11 mixed tandem teams show up.
    Right now you're a lock for the gold...
    Kendall Frederick

    Orange Park, FL

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •