Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-01-09, 01:17 PM   #1
carlfreddy
Acquiring new target....
Thread Starter
 
carlfreddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: St. Louis, MO
Bikes: Trek XO-1, Gary Fisher Rig
Posts: 1,276
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Tour de Winghaven

Tour de Winghaven

I'm in, and for once I'll have a full team in the 2/3 race. Gotta say I'm more than pumped about it, even though I know its going to be full gas single file from the gun.



carlfreddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-09, 02:17 PM   #2
wfrogge
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 3,917
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Maybe... Why is the 2/3 race so short?
wfrogge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-09, 02:29 PM   #3
Duke of Kent
Senior Member
 
Duke of Kent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Blacksburg, VA
Bikes: Yeti ASRc, Focus Raven 29er, Flyxii FR316
Posts: 4,835
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wfrogge View Post
Maybe... Why is the 2/3 race so short?
Because all of the races take place on the same ~3mi circuit. Kinda hard to get a long Cat2/3 race in there when the Pro/1 will take 3.5hrs.

That was the most miserable race I've ever attempted. I got in a break that lasted for a lap, then a lap after we got caught, I dropped out. I was shivering on a 95 degree day. The air was like soup. I drank 4 or 5 bottles in the 8 laps that I raced. Some people were taking bottles to drink every other lap, and getting ice the laps that they weren't getting water.
Duke of Kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-09, 02:41 PM   #4
McTufferton
Senior Member
 
McTufferton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: St. Louis
Bikes:
Posts: 853
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm in. Cat 4/5.

We've had a few training rides on the course already. I ride with Momentum Racing... it's practically in our backyard.

And yes, it's a very hard circuit. And it's held in late June... 90 degree days and 90% humidity.
McTufferton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-09, 03:03 PM   #5
wfrogge
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 3,917
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Kent View Post
Because all of the races take place on the same ~3mi circuit. Kinda hard to get a long Cat2/3 race in there when the Pro/1 will take 3.5hrs.

That was the most miserable race I've ever attempted. I got in a break that lasted for a lap, then a lap after we got caught, I dropped out. I was shivering on a 95 degree day. The air was like soup. I drank 4 or 5 bottles in the 8 laps that I raced. Some people were taking bottles to drink every other lap, and getting ice the laps that they weren't getting water.
Thats a cool summer day for us in Memphis
wfrogge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-09, 03:37 PM   #6
Duke of Kent
Senior Member
 
Duke of Kent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Blacksburg, VA
Bikes: Yeti ASRc, Focus Raven 29er, Flyxii FR316
Posts: 4,835
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wfrogge View Post
Thats a cool summer day for us in Memphis
Seeing as the average dew point in StL is two degrees lower than the dew point of Memphis, TN (66 vs. 68), I'm going to have to say that they're similar in overall gross-ness during the summer.
Duke of Kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-09, 10:27 AM   #7
carlfreddy
Acquiring new target....
Thread Starter
 
carlfreddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: St. Louis, MO
Bikes: Trek XO-1, Gary Fisher Rig
Posts: 1,276
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wfrogge View Post
Maybe... Why is the 2/3 race so short?
If you think its going to be easy, come on down and show us Northerners how its done.

carlfreddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-09, 11:37 AM   #8
wfrogge
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 3,917
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Kent View Post
Seeing as the average dew point in StL is two degrees lower than the dew point of Memphis, TN (66 vs. 68), I'm going to have to say that they're similar in overall gross-ness during the summer.
Historical info....

Memphis
Average High Temperature 90 °F Average Afternoon Relative Humidity 50% *June*
Average High Temperature 91 °F Average Afternoon Relative Humidity 53% *July*
Average High Temperature 90 °F Average Afternoon Relative Humidity 53% *August*

St Louis
Average High Temperature 85 °F Average Afternoon Relative Humidity 51% *June*
Average High Temperature 89 °F Average Afternoon Relative Humidity 52% *July*
Average High Temperature 87 °F Average Afternoon Relative Humidity 52% *August*



St Louis is much cooler.
wfrogge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-09, 12:23 PM   #9
McTufferton
Senior Member
 
McTufferton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: St. Louis
Bikes:
Posts: 853
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by McTufferton View Post
I'm in. Cat 4/5.

We've had a few training rides on the course already. I ride with Momentum Racing... it's practically in our backyard.

And yes, it's a very hard circuit. And it's held in late June... 90 degree days and 90% humidity.
Sunday's forecast from Accuweather.com...

Sunday, Jun 21
High: 89 °F RealFeelŪ: 95 °F
Humid
with partial sunshine; an afternoon thunderstorm possible

Who would have thought? 90 degrees and humid... Good day to race.
McTufferton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-09, 09:58 PM   #10
ronbridal
Senior Member
 
ronbridal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Illinois
Bikes:
Posts: 524
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I will be there. I might win.
ronbridal is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:11 PM.