Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Senior Member slim_77's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    chicago,Il
    My Bikes
    yes please
    Posts
    2,401
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    everyone has moments like this...

    last night we did our weekly training ride and turning the pedals was just harder than usual--from rolling out of the house to riding the paceline. Perhaps the brake was rubbing, perhaps my tires were 20lbs light on pressure? Anyway, going into the last 1k I began to lead it out and was instantly at my limit, after 1-200m the next guy came through (probably because I was not getting up to speed) but I jumped on 4th wheel--I was determined to dig real deep for the final 100m. After the final turn I came around the last man in the leadout. Slobbering, grunting and slathering through the 200m sprint I was beat just short of the line because...well I was absolutely cooked.

    As my teammate passed me in the sprint he said something, probably encouraging, and only sound came out of my mouth...sound completely detached from meaning. Its the conversation reflex in action: how you doing? Fine. In this instance I replied, but all I could muster was a two second utterance:muhaayyaaahaaa...with additional slobber sliding down my cheek and chin.

    I hadn't made that much of a mess of myself in a long while.

    Felt terrible/great.

    how about you?
    gravity: it's not just a good idea, it's the law.

  2. #2
    ride lots be safe Creakyknees's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    4,964
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just ate 3 scrambled eggs with copius cheese on top, plus 2 slices of toast with butter and jam, and a large glass of chocolate milk. Awesome.
    "have fun and be kind"
    - an internet post

  3. #3
    Senior Member slim_77's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    chicago,Il
    My Bikes
    yes please
    Posts
    2,401
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yes, but did you make a mess of it?
    gravity: it's not just a good idea, it's the law.

  4. #4
    coffee-stained punk hammy56's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    6,621
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Last weekend my experience was better than normal. The past month ive been working myself back from two weeks off the bike(vacation+sick). So I had cut way back on the intensity of my weekday rides. No intervals, just 1.5-2 hrs of tempo with some moderate intensity thrown in, just trying to get back the fitness id lost. So i finally went on my weekend training ride after not being there for a month. Usually by the end of this ride there are 3 to 5 guys, depending on who shows up, who i cant hang with all the way to the finish. Not only did i hang with all of them to the finish, but was able to leave a few behind. Toward the end, after a few 27/28 mph pulls i kept thinking "this is it, im done" and then id jump on the back, recover quicker than usual, and do it again. Interestingly, i feel better now than before my two weeks off, when id been doing 2-3 days of intervals during the week (light bulb moment)...

  5. #5
    Packfodding 3 caloso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Sacramento, California, USA
    My Bikes
    Ridley Excalibur, Gazelle Champion Mondial, On-One Pompino, Specialized Rock Hopper
    Posts
    29,033
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by slim_77 View Post
    last night we did our weekly training ride and turning the pedals was just harder than usual--from rolling out of the house to riding the paceline. Perhaps the brake was rubbing, perhaps my tires were 20lbs light on pressure? Anyway, going into the last 1k I began to lead it out and was instantly at my limit, after 1-200m the next guy came through (probably because I was not getting up to speed) but I jumped on 4th wheel--I was determined to dig real deep for the final 100m. After the final turn I came around the last man in the leadout. Slobbering, grunting and slathering through the 200m sprint I was beat just short of the line because...well I was absolutely cooked.

    As my teammate passed me in the sprint he said something, probably encouraging, and only sound came out of my mouth...sound completely detached from meaning. Its the conversation reflex in action: how you doing? Fine. In this instance I replied, but all I could muster was a two second utterance:muhaayyaaahaaa...with additional slobber sliding down my cheek and chin.

    I hadn't made that much of a mess of myself in a long while.

    Felt terrible/great.

    how about you?
    I LOLed.
    Cyclists of the world, unite! You have nothing to lube but your chains!

  6. #6
    I eat carbide. Psimet2001's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Elgin, IL
    My Bikes
    Lots. Current sponsors - Giant and Specialized
    Posts
    19,233
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How sad is this....I was kind of hoping you'd say you had completely lost your form so that I might have a chance against you.

    I have issues.

  7. #7
    Senior Member slim_77's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    chicago,Il
    My Bikes
    yes please
    Posts
    2,401
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Man, it sure felt like the machine was broken. I created my own friggin universe for like 30 seconds.

    I can't make Blue Island, and only got in for the masters race at Elgin. you?
    gravity: it's not just a good idea, it's the law.

  8. #8
    Senior Member slim_77's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    chicago,Il
    My Bikes
    yes please
    Posts
    2,401
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hammy56 View Post
    Last weekend my experience was better than normal. The past month ive been working myself back from two weeks off the bike(vacation+sick). So I had cut way back on the intensity of my weekday rides. No intervals, just 1.5-2 hrs of tempo with some moderate intensity thrown in, just trying to get back the fitness id lost. So i finally went on my weekend training ride after not being there for a month. Usually by the end of this ride there are 3 to 5 guys, depending on who shows up, who i cant hang with all the way to the finish. Not only did i hang with all of them to the finish, but was able to leave a few behind. Toward the end, after a few 27/28 mph pulls i kept thinking "this is it, im done" and then id jump on the back, recover quicker than usual, and do it again. Interestingly, i feel better now than before my two weeks off, when id been doing 2-3 days of intervals during the week (light bulb moment)...
    oh, yeah. Now the trick is to take time off purposefully...the light bulb is there, but we soooooooooo easily just miss the switch.
    gravity: it's not just a good idea, it's the law.

  9. #9
    coffee-stained punk hammy56's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    6,621
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by slim_77 View Post
    oh, yeah. Now the trick is to take time off purposefully...the light bulb is there, but we soooooooooo easily just miss the switch.
    Yeah, youd think id learn from it...but i probably wont

  10. #10
    half man - half sheep Doggus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Allen (Dallas), TX
    Posts
    2,452
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Creakyknees View Post
    I just ate 3 scrambled eggs with copius cheese on top, plus 2 slices of toast with butter and jam, and a large glass of chocolate milk. Awesome.
    Breakfast served all day at the Creaky residence. I'll file that for future use.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •