Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 23 of 23
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Williamsport, PA
    Posts
    138
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    categories? licenses?

    sorry if this has been stickied somewhere or been talked about before, but i couldn't find it and i didn't really understand the usac site.

    i am looking at doing my first road race in late august and the registration says it is cat 5. it's got ages 19-34 and then 35-49 all under the listing of "men's cat 5 public race". towards the bottom of the page there's the $10 one day race license that every race has unless you've got the annual thing. i have one for triathlon but not cycling, but it's the same deal in tri's. any how, my questions are

    1 - is the field split between those 2 age groups? if not why would they list them seperately? they don't list the prizes seperately so why wouldn't they just say men's 19-49? or is it just one of those things?!

    2- more importantly... can anybody race in this race? the usac site says cat 5 must have 10 mass start races or a rider education clinic. i am fairly certain guys i know just do this race every year and don't do other races. plus i know i've seen all kinds of people doing it in the past including people on mtb's and whatnot who def wouldn't have 10 races in.

    bottom line, can i do this race? i appreciate the info a lot. this is all new to me and a lot of it is confusing to me.

  2. #2
    gmt Grumpy McTrumpy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Binghamton, NY
    Posts
    11,932
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thater?

  3. #3
    Cat 4 J.Lockdown's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Gaithersburg MD
    My Bikes
    Blue RC6AL - Rival Build
    Posts
    570
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by brian669 View Post
    sorry if this has been stickied somewhere or been talked about before, but i couldn't find it and i didn't really understand the usac site.

    i am looking at doing my first road race in late august and the registration says it is cat 5. it's got ages 19-34 and then 35-49 all under the listing of "men's cat 5 public race". towards the bottom of the page there's the $10 one day race license that every race has unless you've got the annual thing. i have one for triathlon but not cycling, but it's the same deal in tri's. any how, my questions are

    1 - is the field split between those 2 age groups? if not why would they list them seperately? they don't list the prizes seperately so why wouldn't they just say men's 19-49? or is it just one of those things?!

    2- more importantly... can anybody race in this race? the usac site says cat 5 must have 10 mass start races or a rider education clinic. i am fairly certain guys i know just do this race every year and don't do other races. plus i know i've seen all kinds of people doing it in the past including people on mtb's and whatnot who def wouldn't have 10 races in.

    bottom line, can i do this race? i appreciate the info a lot. this is all new to me and a lot of it is confusing to me.
    1 - I am not sure why they would put those age groups for Cat 5 seems somewhat odd.

    2 - If they are classified as Cat 5 or purchase a 1 day license then they can race any Cat 5. Along with that every rider starts in Cat 5 (all men, women start in 4) and the 10 mass start is talking about the upgrade to Cat 4. You will find all sorts of riders in Cat 5 and things will sort their selves out in the race.

    Bottom line: You can race if you want to.
    Last edited by J.Lockdown; 07-10-09 at 05:40 PM.
    Blog:http://e-janis.com
    2009 Blue RC8 -- SRAM Force
    2008 Blue RC6AL-- SRAM Rival

  4. #4
    gmt Grumpy McTrumpy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Binghamton, NY
    Posts
    11,932
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    if it's Thater they only allow one-day licenses in the citizen's 5 races. If you have an annual license you are required to race in the 4/5 race (which will be faster by far). And if it is Thater....

    I strongly recommend AGAINST it being your first race. Come and do some thursday night races first.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Williamsport, PA
    Posts
    138
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    what thursday night races?

    thanks for the info. i thought it was that you had to have 10 mass starts to get cat 5 which made no sense at all.

    my time for the cayuga triathlon, which is predominantly a big climb, is below what most of these guys pulled in last years thater at the same distance. granted there aren't any big turns and it's not exactly a mass start on the bike i think i would be fine. i have thursday off next week though, so maybe i'll do a race if there's one that night.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Williamsport, PA
    Posts
    138
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    actually, what thursday race do you recommend? i just looked through the club calendar and saw the courses. you mentioned before you don't need to be a member to come, right? i plan on joining the club for 2010 and doing the tt's as often as possible.

  7. #7
    Senior Member SwimBike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Pretty much Canada, NY
    Posts
    499
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wish I could do thater this year. Instead I will be doing a lovely recon ride for GMSR. Essentially picking the spots where I will blow up and suffer greatly. Should be fun :-P

    Thater is a great race though, at the very least head down and check out the pro field.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Williamsport, PA
    Posts
    138
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    that looks like a tough race. a nice one though.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    139
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by brian669 View Post

    my time for the cayuga triathlon, which is predominantly a big climb, is below what most of these guys pulled in last years thater at the same distance. granted there aren't any big turns and it's not exactly a mass start on the bike i think i would be fine. i have thursday off next week though, so maybe i'll do a race if there's one that night.
    Not to sound like an arrogant bike racer know-it-all...but

    1. Forget the notion that your time in a triathlon has any correlation to a criterium...the similarities end with the fact that the bicycles have two wheels and a chain...

    2. There will be plenty of people without much group riding experience...but being comfortable going into a corner at 35mph in tight quarters takes a bit of practice...so i would suggest a few group rides then progress to club races...etc.

    3. It's a cat 5 race...it's not a big deal to go into it a bit unprepared as long as you go into knowing it'll be a learning experience...

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Williamsport, PA
    Posts
    138
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    right, i understand that. i'm just saying that as far as pace goes, i am going up a 7% grade at what these guys are doing a predominantly flat course in. the packs and corners are where i need to get more time in for sure. but for 17 bucks, i just want to see what it's all about.

  11. #11
    No matches Flatballer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    My Bikes
    two wheeled ones
    Posts
    10,182
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by brian669 View Post
    right, i understand that. i'm just saying that as far as pace goes, i am going up a 7% grade at what these guys are doing a predominantly flat course in. the packs and corners are where i need to get more time in for sure. but for 17 bucks, i just want to see what it's all about.
    Why aren't you in France right now, leading the tour by 30 minutes? If you can go up 7% grades at anything close to 20 mph (probable average for a Cat5 crit), for more than 30 seconds at a time, you're quite possibly the strongest rider in the world.

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    139
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by brian669 View Post
    right, i understand that. i'm just saying that as far as pace goes, i am going up a 7% grade at what these guys are doing a predominantly flat course in. the packs and corners are where i need to get more time in for sure. but for 17 bucks, i just want to see what it's all about.
    Well...not really. A tt or triathlon is a steady state effort...for example ride 20 miles in an hour, not hard right? but then try 30 min at 30mph and 30 min at 10 mph. An extreme example but that tends to be the issue when people with triathlon/duathlon experience jump into a crit or road race. At thater it'll go ballistic from start...then ungodly slow...guys will kill it up the climb every lap...but then sit up... repeat until the sprint. Occasionally a break will stick but it's not likely...

  13. #13
    gmt Grumpy McTrumpy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Binghamton, NY
    Posts
    11,932
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by brian669 View Post
    actually, what thursday race do you recommend? i just looked through the club calendar and saw the courses. you mentioned before you don't need to be a member to come, right? i plan on joining the club for 2010 and doing the tt's as often as possible.

    you can ride your first race as a guest, but after that you have to join. It's cheap anyway.

    This thursday...6:30pm race start at Singer-Link (Kirkwood Industrial Park) We park at the Universal Instruments lot. If you are new to racing you should race with the B group. Get used to pacelines and working in close quarters.

    I recommend Singer for two reasons. It's a criterium without corners (circuit race) and it has a climb on every lap very similar to that of Thater. We also do it twice a month.

  14. #14
    umd
    umd is offline
    Banned umd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Santa Barbara, CA
    My Bikes
    Specialized Tarmac SL2, Specialized Tarmac SL, Giant TCR Composite, Specialized StumpJumper Expert HT
    Posts
    28,343
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by brian669 View Post
    right, i understand that. i'm just saying that as far as pace goes, i am going up a 7% grade at what these guys are doing a predominantly flat course in. the packs and corners are where i need to get more time in for sure. but for 17 bucks, i just want to see what it's all about.


    Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy McTrumpy View Post
    It's a criterium without corners (circuit race)
    I don't think that's what circuit race usually means...

  15. #15
    gmt Grumpy McTrumpy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Binghamton, NY
    Posts
    11,932
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    3D. Criterium
    3D1. A criterium is a circuit race held on a small course
    entirely closed to traffic. The length of the course is between
    800 m and 5 km. The minimum width throughout the course
    should be 7 m.


    it is this. no corners. although we cannot close it to traffic for thursday nights, traffic is seldom much of an issue in an industrial park in the evening.

  16. #16
    gmt Grumpy McTrumpy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Binghamton, NY
    Posts
    11,932
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    btw we have a yellow line rule.

  17. #17
    umd
    umd is offline
    Banned umd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Santa Barbara, CA
    My Bikes
    Specialized Tarmac SL2, Specialized Tarmac SL, Giant TCR Composite, Specialized StumpJumper Expert HT
    Posts
    28,343
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy McTrumpy View Post
    3D. Criterium
    3D1. A criterium is a circuit race held on a small course
    entirely closed to traffic. The length of the course is between
    800 m and 5 km. The minimum width throughout the course
    should be 7 m.


    it is this. no corners. although we cannot close it to traffic for thursday nights, traffic is seldom much of an issue in an industrial park in the evening.
    I don't see anything about corners in that.

  18. #18
    gmt Grumpy McTrumpy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Binghamton, NY
    Posts
    11,932
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    whatever.

    one of us is helpful.

  19. #19
    umd
    umd is offline
    Banned umd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Santa Barbara, CA
    My Bikes
    Specialized Tarmac SL2, Specialized Tarmac SL, Giant TCR Composite, Specialized StumpJumper Expert HT
    Posts
    28,343
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy McTrumpy View Post
    whatever.

    one of us is helpful.
    Um, ok? I'm just saying that I've never seen "a crit without corners" to be the definition of a circuit race. I've always understood a crit to be a very short circuit race, which is consistent with what you posted. Races around here that are called "circuit races" are usually similar to crits but on courses that are several miles and crit courses are around a mile or less.

  20. #20
    No matches Flatballer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    My Bikes
    two wheeled ones
    Posts
    10,182
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's not part of the definition; rather, it's usually a result of the definition.

    Since circuit races are longer laps, they still have a few corners (because it's a loop), but they're spread out over a longer lap.

    I think that's what grumpy is saying.

  21. #21
    gmt Grumpy McTrumpy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Binghamton, NY
    Posts
    11,932
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    it's just a 1.6 mile loop.

  22. #22
    umd
    umd is offline
    Banned umd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Santa Barbara, CA
    My Bikes
    Specialized Tarmac SL2, Specialized Tarmac SL, Giant TCR Composite, Specialized StumpJumper Expert HT
    Posts
    28,343
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Flatballer View Post
    It's not part of the definition; rather, it's usually a result of the definition.

    Since circuit races are longer laps, they still have a few corners (because it's a loop), but they're spread out over a longer lap.

    I think that's what grumpy is saying.
    I read it as saying that a circuit race is a crit without corners. If that's not what he meant then I apologize for the confusion.

  23. #23
    gmt Grumpy McTrumpy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Binghamton, NY
    Posts
    11,932
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm just trying to help the guy. It is what it is. no worries.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •