Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 21 of 21
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    122
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Cannondale crash replacement for used buyer

    I'm looking to purchase a used CAAD9 frameset at a very good price. The owner has stated that he will include the warranty card with the purchase. What I'm wondering is whether or not Cannondale will honor their crash replacement policy. If something were to happen to the frame, if I told them that I was the original owner and then showed them the warranty card, would that be enough to get a new frame at the crash replacement price?

    Also, does anyone know anything about Fuji's crash replacement policy? I am mainly looking at the CAAD9 because I have a carbon Fuji right now that works fine but I am worried about crashing it and then having to cough up $900 to get a new frame. The CAAD9 would be muuuuch cheaper to replace.

    Thanks in advance.

  2. #2
    rider of small bicycles geneman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Rochester, New York
    My Bikes
    Cannondale
    Posts
    1,686
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You've gotta
    a) have the receipt, or
    b) know a guy (preferably that guy will either be a dealer or the regional rep)

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    1,616
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How reliable would it be if someone on this board were to say: "No problem. Cannondale will honor the warranty", versus contacting Cannondale and finding out from the manufacturer directly????????

    Bob
    Be the Bike

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    338
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cannondale requires proof of purchase and you're supposed to be the original owner...

    So unless you can make friends with a dealer who may be able to help you out, I'd say there's a high risk you won't get a replacement if you have a problem.

    -spence

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Beavercreek, OH
    Posts
    493
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since your "looking to purchase a used CAAD9 frameset at a very good price", what's the worry? If you crumple it up in a crash, just puchase another used one at a very good price.

  6. #6
    Carpe Diem bdcheung's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    MABRA
    My Bikes
    2007 CAAD9; 2008 Giant Bowery; 2008 Surly Crosscheck
    Posts
    13,130
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't have my original receipt

    but I registered the serial number under my name on the Cannondale website.

    Is that good enough?
    "When you are chewing the bars at the business end of a 90 mile road race you really dont care what gear you have hanging from your bike so long as it works."
    ΛΧΑ ΔΞ179 - 15% off your first Hammer Nutrition order!

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    122
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Lex View Post
    How reliable would it be if someone on this board were to say: "No problem. Cannondale will honor the warranty", versus contacting Cannondale and finding out from the manufacturer directly????????

    Bob
    Didn't really think of that , so I just e-mailed them. We'll see what they say...

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    122
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shayne View Post
    Since your "looking to purchase a used CAAD9 frameset at a very good price", what's the worry? If you crumple it up in a crash, just puchase another used one at a very good price.
    Because, if you haven't noticed lately, the price of CAAD's on ebay have been creeping very close to the crash replacement cost of a new frame. I'm not going through ebay for this frame and the price I was offered is undercutting the going rate on ebay by about $100, which is a lot when you're a budget racer and going to college in a few weeks.

  9. #9
    nom nom nom Frunkin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Wisconsin
    My Bikes
    Lemond Tete de Course, Slingshot DDX, Fuji Track Pro, Surly Steamroller
    Posts
    2,096
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What you should have done is kept the card, and not said anything to cannondale. When or if something happened you should have gone into a shop shown them the card and broken frame, and said you lost the receipt. I bet you nobody would have asked. I bet you that no matter what you hear from cannondale, nobody will ask to see a receipt.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    122
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Frunkin View Post
    What you should have done is kept the card, and not said anything to cannondale. When or if something happened you should have gone into a shop shown them the card and broken frame, and said you lost the receipt. I bet you nobody would have asked. I bet you that no matter what you hear from cannondale, nobody will ask to see a receipt.
    Well, I only e-mailed them and all they have is my first name so it's not like they are going to know who I am or what I'm planning to do. I have a feeling you are correct, though, and that no one will ask to see a receipt, especially if it is just for a crash replacement that I will have to pay for anyways.

  11. #11
    Cat 3 Meter - Don't Care fauxto nick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    3,892
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I contacted C-Dale before I bought my System Six and they told me you needed proof of purchase, they said they would not honor any warranty or crash replacement for anyone other than the original owner.

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    122
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fauxto nick View Post
    I contacted C-Dale before I bought my System Six and they told me you needed proof of purchase, they said they would not honor any warranty or crash replacement for anyone other than the original owner.
    Cannondale e-mailed me back about fifteen minutes ago saying that technically you have to be the original buyer but that my local Cannondale dealer may let this slide if it is only for a crash replacement. What amazes me is that Cannondale got back to me within the hour, and sent me a follow-up e-mail after I had said thanks. That's great customer service. It almost makes me want to buy the frame new...almost

  13. #13
    rider of small bicycles geneman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Rochester, New York
    My Bikes
    Cannondale
    Posts
    1,686
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So, you didn't believe me?

    -----------------------------------
    You've gotta
    a) have the receipt, or
    b) know a guy (preferably that guy will either be a dealer or the regional rep)
    -----------------------------------

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    122
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geneman View Post
    So, you didn't believe me?

    -----------------------------------
    You've gotta
    a) have the receipt, or
    b) know a guy (preferably that guy will either be a dealer or the regional rep)
    -----------------------------------
    Oh, I did. But I was really looking to see if anyone had had experience with getting the discount without being the original buyer. Don't worry, you're still credible to me.

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    NZ
    My Bikes
    More than 1, but, less than S-1
    Posts
    3,446
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Haven't had experience with the crash replacement discount but have gone through several Cannondale frames over the years and always received excellent service. In a couple instances I had lost "proof of purchase" and the local LBS just commented that they would sign off that I was. All were handled as warrantee replacements. However, the last time, it was suggested to me that in the future I might be expected to pay the crash replacement prices. I can't complain, in all, I've owned 6 different Cannondale frames and have paid retail for 2 or them.
    Birth Certificate, Passport, Marriage License Driver's License and Residency Permit all say I'm a Fred. I guess there's no denying it.

  16. #16
    I eat carbide. Psimet2001's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Elgin, IL
    My Bikes
    Lots. Current sponsors - Giant and Specialized
    Posts
    19,290
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chevelle2291 View Post
    Cannondale e-mailed me back about fifteen minutes ago saying that technically you have to be the original buyer but that my local Cannondale dealer may let this slide if it is only for a crash replacement. What amazes me is that Cannondale got back to me within the hour, and sent me a follow-up e-mail after I had said thanks. That's great customer service. It almost makes me want to buy the frame new...almost
    If you did that then you wouldn't be able to buy my powertap or my garmin like you said you wanted to....I don't suck your wheel all the time for nothing man....

  17. #17
    Senior Member grolby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    BOSTON BABY
    Posts
    6,802
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chevelle2291 View Post
    Also, does anyone know anything about Fuji's crash replacement policy? I am mainly looking at the CAAD9 because I have a carbon Fuji right now that works fine but I am worried about crashing it and then having to cough up $900 to get a new frame. The CAAD9 would be muuuuch cheaper to replace.

    Thanks in advance.
    I must admit, this makes no sense to me, and never has. You will spend several hundred dollars now because you might need to spend several hundred dollars later if you wreck your current bike in a crash? Wouldn't it make a lot more sense to say, buy a used CAAD9 to replace your Fuji if you wreck it? Think about it: if you buy a CAAD9 now and wreck that and replace it with an equivalent bike, you've spent roughly twice as much money as you would if you just manned up and raced the Fuji, happen to crash it and replace it with a CAAD9.

    If you want a second bike, that's cool, but I am boggled by how everyone here will jump through hoops to pretend that it's somehow MORE financially logical to do it. It's not. If you break your expensive bike, replace it on a lower budget than you started with and live happily ever after.

  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    122
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Psimet2001 View Post
    If you did that then you wouldn't be able to buy my powertap or my garmin like you said you wanted to....I don't suck your wheel all the time for nothing man....
    You know, taken out of context...

    Btw, grad money has been flowing in, so we'll see about that powertap

  19. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    122
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by grolby View Post
    I must admit, this makes no sense to me, and never has. You will spend several hundred dollars now because you might need to spend several hundred dollars later if you wreck your current bike in a crash? Wouldn't it make a lot more sense to say, buy a used CAAD9 to replace your Fuji if you wreck it? Think about it: if you buy a CAAD9 now and wreck that and replace it with an equivalent bike, you've spent roughly twice as much money as you would if you just manned up and raced the Fuji, happen to crash it and replace it with a CAAD9.

    If you want a second bike, that's cool, but I am boggled by how everyone here will jump through hoops to pretend that it's somehow MORE financially logical to do it. It's not. If you break your expensive bike, replace it on a lower budget than you started with and live happily ever after.
    Dude, this is bikeforums. Nothing's supposed to be logical here

  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    619
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Slightly OT: Cannondale's customer service has always been great for the bike customer, less so for the dealer. One of the bike industry magazines published a survey sometime in the '90s showing levels of customer and dealer satisfaction with various bike manufacturers. Cannondale ranked at or near the top for customer satisfaction and at or near the bottom for dealer satisfaction. I used that information to close quite a few Cannondale bike sales to wavering customers. Maybe hearing those two facts created just the right sort of cognitive dissonance to break down sales resistance. Or something.

  21. #21
    . botto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    40,335
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Trakhak View Post
    Slightly OT: Cannondale's customer service has always been great for the bike customer, less so for the dealer. One of the bike industry magazines published a survey sometime in the '90s showing levels of customer and dealer satisfaction with various bike manufacturers. Cannondale ranked at or near the top for customer satisfaction and at or near the bottom for dealer satisfaction. I used that information to close quite a few Cannondale bike sales to wavering customers. Maybe hearing those two facts created just the right sort of cognitive dissonance to break down sales resistance. Or something.
    Last edited by botto; 07-29-09 at 09:32 AM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •