Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 25 of 25
  1. #1
    Senior Member spinwax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    My Bikes
    2011 Felt FC, 2009 ADK/Pedalforce Road, 2011 Felt B12 TT
    Posts
    829
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Getting Comfy on a TT Bike. Some questions.

    How comfy are you? Any good saddle recommendations?
    Last edited by spinwax; 07-31-12 at 03:10 PM.

  2. #2
    gmt Grumpy McTrumpy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Binghamton, NY
    Posts
    11,921
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    try the John Cobb saddle

  3. #3
    Writin' stuff ZeCanon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Boulder, CO
    Posts
    3,779
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I picked up the specialized TT saddle and love it. I hate their other saddles, but since you only sit on the first three inches of the thing anyway the shape of the back end doesn't really matter.

    That said, there's a reason why I still call my TT bike the Grundle Killer. Putting all your weight on your taint on maybe 4 inches of foam is not going to be comfy, ever.
    Velo Magazine/VeloNews.com tech guy get in touch or hit me on the tweeter @CaleyFretz

  4. #4
    Senior Member spinwax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    My Bikes
    2011 Felt FC, 2009 ADK/Pedalforce Road, 2011 Felt B12 TT
    Posts
    829
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy McTrumpy View Post
    try the John Cobb saddle
    I ride such a minimalist saddle on the road (San Marco Aspide), I never thought I would need much more on the TT bike but the position is so much more radical I think I may have to go with something else. I am 100% positive my position is probably not optimal as of yet anyways so I don't want to jump to new saddles yet.

    Honestly, the Cobb saddle is not as terrible looking as I thought it would be. Hmmm, it may be a consideration. I don't know how some pros are doing TTs on such minimal stuff. I am VERY flexible, lean and in good shape; I didn't think I would have an issue.

    This one looks interesting.
    http://www.cobbcycling.com/cart/V-Flow_White_C1P1.cfm

  5. #5
    Senior Member spinwax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    My Bikes
    2011 Felt FC, 2009 ADK/Pedalforce Road, 2011 Felt B12 TT
    Posts
    829
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ZeCanon View Post
    I picked up the specialized TT saddle and love it. I hate their other saddles, but since you only sit on the first three inches of the thing anyway the shape of the back end doesn't really matter.

    That said, there's a reason why I still call my TT bike the Grundle Killer. Putting all your weight on your taint on maybe 4 inches of foam is not going to be comfy, ever.
    Kind of what I was thinking.

  6. #6
    gmt Grumpy McTrumpy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Binghamton, NY
    Posts
    11,921
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am using the V-flow plus. It's perfect for riders (like me) who slide forward onto the nose.

  7. #7
    fair weather cyclist pjcampbell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Green Mountains
    My Bikes
    Colnago c50
    Posts
    1,337
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    2 hours is a long time for a TT bike, considering you'll never race more than 60 minutes, unless you are doing triathlons?

    I have an Adamo ISM saddle, and am still getting the hang of it, making adjustments a few times on a ride, but am doing 2+ hours.

    Are you sure about losing power by being more forward?

    What are your arms like?

  8. #8
    Senior Member spinwax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    My Bikes
    2011 Felt FC, 2009 ADK/Pedalforce Road, 2011 Felt B12 TT
    Posts
    829
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pjcampbell View Post
    2 hours is a long time for a TT bike, considering you'll never race more than 60 minutes, unless you are doing triathlons?

    I have an Adamo ISM saddle, and am still getting the hang of it, making adjustments a few times on a ride, but am doing 2+ hours.

    Are you sure about losing power by being more forward?

    What are your arms like?
    My fit seems pretty good. I have been doing research for at least 3 months to find the optimal position, but still wasn't sure of being far forward. So far it seems there are a few downsides. Odd handling characteristics and possibly lack of power due to using different muscle groups. I have extremely long legs and short torso, so bike fit is always difficult for me. I am running Felt's shortest stem (the bike came with 3 stems), the arm pads all the way back. My ears tend to fall right over my elbows with this set up but still feel weird moving the saddle anymore forward. I think I have it in my head that I need some sort of set back from the BB.

    LOL, two hours is actually pretty short for me. I am putting the hours in this season and if I am going to go out an train (even on the the TT), it will be for a few hours at min. TTing well this season is my biggest goal. Everyone I know that wins and does well in TTs spends at least 1-3 days a week on the TT bike and quite a few hours.

    I know setup will take some time but I get impatient.

  9. #9
    VeloSIRraptor
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    4,290
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the specialized saddle, hoping to try the cobb next, and the arione tri saddle is a solid performer.

    it takes time, just like when you talk to people who are just starting to ride a bike for the first time... gots to get used to the new weird position you are expecting out of your body.
    Quote Originally Posted by shovelhd View Post
    If it comes down to a field sprint, you probably won't win, so don't let it.

  10. #10
    Roadie/Duathlete
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    NH
    My Bikes
    Colnago ExP, Look 595, Look 496, plus a few more...
    Posts
    431
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't mock me... Profile Design Tri Stryke Ti... lots of padding up front and the loicra grabs on to you and stops the sliding. Works for me. Not a beauty to look at though... :-)
    "Suddenly the thought struck me. My floor is someone elses ceiling"-Nils Ferlin

  11. #11
    Yes, I have the memo. nickelbus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    South Pasadena, CA
    My Bikes
    SystemSix
    Posts
    85
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just traded out my Arione TT saddle for the Specialized TT saddle and love it.
    "Just remember, if you hang in there long enough, good things can happen in this world. I mean, look at me." - Tom Smykowski

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    31
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A couple things :
    First, before spend a lot of money on saddles, get a proper fit from someone that has experience with TT. From your posts, you haven't done that yet and how do you know if your fit is correct or not ? Aero / comfort / power efficiency tie in really well if done by the right professional. A racer can not do it without help.
    http://www.slowtwitch.com/Bike_Fit/B...e_pie_650.html

    Second (reply to PJC), spending a couple hours on a TT rig isn't unusual. I have an old school Aluminum TT rig - Abici Time Machine - that I have no problems sitting in the saddle for 5 hours on. Even though the events are no longer than an hour, training - at certain times of the year - will require LT sets varying from 30 minutes or longer; and several LT intervals per workout. Add on the rest periods and you are easily around 2-3 hours for a single workout.

    Lastly, once you get the fit dialed in - by a pro - spend time on your rig. Even if its on a trainer. During the spring I spend a lot of time racing on my road bike. It can take a week or two to get used to riding on the TT rig.

    Overall I think you are new to your bike. Don't buy anything new yet - a new saddle can cost more than a proper bike fit and it's a lot cheaper than a 1080. Get the proper fit and just ride it. Don't make any changes to the bike once it is dialed in. Give your body a chance to get used to it. And most importantly - WORK ON YOUR CORE !
    Worry about improving your power LT wheels... etc in the Spring.

    BTW, I've been on the same ArioneTT saddle for 3 years.... if I have any comfort issues, it's usually not due to the saddle or the position. Searching for the most perfect / comfortable saddle will take you a life time. Any saddle will work just fine if your fit is correct.

  13. #13
    fair weather cyclist pjcampbell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Green Mountains
    My Bikes
    Colnago c50
    Posts
    1,337
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think if you put it in a comfortable position and practice there ,the power will come. Is your saddle to bar different pretty high?

  14. #14
    部門ニ/自転車オタク NomadVW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Yuma, AZ
    My Bikes
    2005 Specialized Roubaix Elite, 2005 Specialized FSR XC Comp, 2008 Blue T16, 2009 Blue RC8, Fetish Cycles Road Bike
    Posts
    3,172
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i love my TT position, and I don't get truly uncomfortable in it under ~2 hrs.
    Envision, Energize, Enable

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    98
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i dont know much about the subject, but why dont time trialists just have the seat scooted way up so that they ARE seating in the good part of the seat while they are in the aero position. why have the most important position use the inconvenient part of the seat?

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    104
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WR3K View Post
    i dont know much about the subject, but why dont time trialists just have the seat scooted way up so that they ARE seating in the good part of the seat while they are in the aero position. why have the most important position use the inconvenient part of the seat?
    Because a lot of racers (professional, and state/national level amateur) have to keep that seat far enough back in order for their bike to adhere to regulations. I think for most of these guys the front of the seat has to be 5 cm behind the bottom bracket.

  17. #17
    Senior Member spinwax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    My Bikes
    2011 Felt FC, 2009 ADK/Pedalforce Road, 2011 Felt B12 TT
    Posts
    829
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by markfosterTT View Post
    A couple things :
    First, before spend a lot of money on saddles, get a proper fit from someone that has experience with TT. From your posts, you haven't done that yet and how do you know if your fit is correct or not ? Aero / comfort / power efficiency tie in really well if done by the right professional. A racer can not do it without help.
    http://www.slowtwitch.com/Bike_Fit/B...e_pie_650.html

    Second (reply to PJC), spending a couple hours on a TT rig isn't unusual. I have an old school Aluminum TT rig - Abici Time Machine - that I have no problems sitting in the saddle for 5 hours on. Even though the events are no longer than an hour, training - at certain times of the year - will require LT sets varying from 30 minutes or longer; and several LT intervals per workout. Add on the rest periods and you are easily around 2-3 hours for a single workout.

    Lastly, once you get the fit dialed in - by a pro - spend time on your rig. Even if its on a trainer. During the spring I spend a lot of time racing on my road bike. It can take a week or two to get used to riding on the TT rig.

    Overall I think you are new to your bike. Don't buy anything new yet - a new saddle can cost more than a proper bike fit and it's a lot cheaper than a 1080. Get the proper fit and just ride it. Don't make any changes to the bike once it is dialed in. Give your body a chance to get used to it. And most importantly - WORK ON YOUR CORE !
    Worry about improving your power LT wheels... etc in the Spring.

    BTW, I've been on the same ArioneTT saddle for 3 years.... if I have any comfort issues, it's usually not due to the saddle or the position. Searching for the most perfect / comfortable saddle will take you a life time. Any saddle will work just fine if your fit is correct.
    My Retul fit will be soon.
    Last edited by spinwax; 05-06-10 at 02:51 PM.

  18. #18
    Cat WTF
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    1,297
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by spinwax View Post
    how comfy are you on your saddle?

    I have an ISM saddle, so the answer is that I'm not comfy but I'm also not numb in the junk.

  19. #19
    Cat WTF
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    1,297
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why is anyone riding 2+ hours on a tt bike? Do you have 2+ hour time trials?

  20. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    31
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's true - but it only applies to a UCI regulated event. I don't think a local official, even for a State Championship, will ever check the 5cm nose or the other regulations for a TT bike.....

    Masters Nats, I think, is the exception. UCI rules apply for those events.

  21. #21
    gmt Grumpy McTrumpy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Binghamton, NY
    Posts
    11,921
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I ride my TT bike to and from TTs. Total time can exceed two hours.

  22. #22
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    31
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cat4ever View Post
    Why is anyone riding 2+ hours on a tt bike? Do you have 2+ hour time trials?
    Once your finished with having kids... it doesn't matter anymore .

    Seriously, if the fit is proper it's just as comfortable if not more than a road bike. I prefer to ride my TT bike on my trainer - recent workouts are 3 hrs - it's more comfortable to just rest your upper body and let your legs do the work.

  23. #23
    Old Road Racer Cleave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    SoCal
    My Bikes
    Bicycle Transportation: 2013 Ford Focus Electric, 2010 Toyota Prius
    Posts
    4,940
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello spinwax,

    I've been through a number of saddles on my TT bike. I tried:
    • My usual saddle, a "classic" Flite
    • A borrowed Fizik Arione
    • A Vision Tri-Gel
    • And, finally, a Fizik Ares


    The only one that hasn't caused noticeable skin loss has been the Ares. So far it's a keeper.

    When I was younger, my normal road saddle was fine for TTs -- even on a funny bike. Now it's a different story.

    BTW, I ride a level saddle too.
    Thanks.
    Cleave
    "Real men wear pink."
    See my cycling photos at http://www.pbase.com/cleavel/bicycling
    See my bikes at http://www.pbase.com/cleavel/mybicycles
    Visit my blog at http://cleavesblant.wordpress.com/
    Lightning Velo Cycling Club: http://www.lightningvelo.org/

  24. #24
    Senior Member spinwax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    My Bikes
    2011 Felt FC, 2009 ADK/Pedalforce Road, 2011 Felt B12 TT
    Posts
    829
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cat4ever View Post
    Why is anyone riding 2+ hours on a tt bike? Do you have 2+ hour time trials?
    Because to be fast on your TT bike you need to spend time on it.

    Levi and training partner Scott Nydam will routinely do 3 hour rides on their TT bikes.
    Last edited by spinwax; 07-31-12 at 03:11 PM.

  25. #25
    Senior Member spinwax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    My Bikes
    2011 Felt FC, 2009 ADK/Pedalforce Road, 2011 Felt B12 TT
    Posts
    829
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cleave View Post
    Hello spinwax,

    I've been through a number of saddles on my TT bike. I tried:
    • My usual saddle, a "classic" Flite
    • A borrowed Fizik Arione
    • A Vision Tri-Gel
    • And, finally, a Fizik Ares


    The only one that hasn't caused noticeable skin loss has been the Ares. So far it's a keeper.

    When I was younger, my normal road saddle was fine for TTs -- even on a funny bike. Now it's a different story.

    BTW, I ride a level saddle too.
    I like the idea of the short nose on the Ares. Thanks for the reply.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •